Faith

LDS Church combines Relief Society and Young Women general conference meetings, adds Primary girls

Comments

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    March 30, 2014 8:55 p.m.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I suppose that the "Women's Conference" will probably be renamed since, under no stretch of the imagination, are 8 to 11 year old girls women. "Females Conference" doesn't sound great; perhaps "Sisters Conference" would fit the bill as all are sisters, or daughters of God.

I know my wife is not well pleased with the changes as she feels that she will receive less instruction and feel, more than ever, that there is no Church conference that deals with her concerns. She does not want to share the time with the YWMIA or Primary girls; we don't do that at our block meetings so logically it seems the more strange.

The idea that not everything is a revelation that is done in the Church might be said without disrespect, though. For example when additions were made to existing scriptures recently, adding revelations on the Spirit World, they were placed in the Pearl of Great Price.

My feeling then was to regard the Doctrine of Covenants a more logical choice. Though I made no comment, the scriptures were soon thereafter moved from the Pearl of Great Price to the D and C anyway.

• InspectorC Wasatch Front, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 12:19 p.m.

I make the following observation with a HUGE dose-of-humor for this topic (so, DNews-MODERATOR, please don't deny posting this comment), but......

I gotta say that this story has the weirdest eclectic collection of reader-comments I think I've ever seen on this website! **GRIN**

We're all just a funny bunch of "busy-bodies", aren't we?! 8^)

As I said in my original post: I'd still be interested to hear an "official explanation" from the church as to WHY they are making this change.

ROFLOL!

• Aephelps14 San Luis Obispo, CA
    Nov. 6, 2013 3:25 p.m.

There have been several references to "pressure from women" to bring about this change in the General Relief Society meeting. The prophet and apostles are obviously competent, very discerning adults and it seems like they rarely are successfully pressured into anything. More likely, they take this input from members and pray about it if they feel that is needed. That is why it is important to voice your concerns and not to squash or criticize others who simply have different concerns than you.

• Marsha N. SANDY, UT
    Nov. 6, 2013 4:52 a.m.

Sis. Julie Bangerter Beck advised us a few years ago that in these times our primary objective should be to teach our youth how to value their gender by teaching them the great aspects of motherhood and fatherhood before teaching careers. This step brings us closer to that goal of helping our young women focus on their great gift of womanhood. Standing with their mothers (or other feminine role models) will help our young girls commit themselves to developing the great qualities of womanhood. A culture that values the qualities of women will be a kinder, stronger, more giving society.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Nov. 5, 2013 9:11 p.m.

The LDS has pretty much the same philosophy as Lutherans, Eastern Orthodox Christian, Eastern Rite Catholic, and Orthodox Judaism. This is something to build on.

• Ethel Home Town USA, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 7:12 p.m.

To Tigersue: I beg to differ your comments about being "talked down to" by the General Primary leadership. Sister Wixom's talk was every bit as inspiring as Sister Burton's ever since she was called and spoke to the general audience as General President of the Primary.

As a great-grandmother I found Sister Wixom's talk intelligent, uplifting and in no way condescending. She is a woman who understands what is needed to encourage the listener of any age and applicable to the primary ages as well. I admire her insights and preparation for her call to serve.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Nov. 5, 2013 5:07 p.m.

For what it is worth, men who have been baptized but not yet ordained to the priesthood are invited to General Priesthood Meetings, and I actually know some men who attend church regularly and have not yet been baptized who come as well.

I could even see the brethren setting a lower age for general priesthood meeting. I do not expect it in the near future.

I do not understand the 8 years for women, however I also don't understand why men can go on missions at 18 and women not until 19. I am content to not know all things, even if I seek more than many to know as much as possible.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Nov. 5, 2013 5:02 p.m.

The Lord speaks to us in our own language. This means he fits the meetings to the needs of the people at the time the meetings occur.

Actually, the question I have that presses most on my mind is, should teachers who have primary children age 8-11 in their primary classes plan to attend these meetings?

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Nov. 5, 2013 4:56 p.m.

This is a good development. It is interesting that girls as young as 8 will be included. I wonder if they will leave the cut off for general priesthood meeting at age 12. I will be sure to tell my primary children about this.

• Dan Taylor Keyser, WV
    Nov. 5, 2013 4:54 p.m.

Exactly! Why is there Always somebody ready to complain about something.

• MaxxFordham OREM, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 4:20 p.m.

TigerSue again:

(I meant "... meetings that were then still just RS....")

RG:

Yes. Cub scouts, regular church, stake conference general session, and the 4 main sessions of general conference. What did you really mean: something that compared to the sex-exclusivity of the sisters' vs. priesthood meetings?

Ohio LDS:

Yeah, they should allow 8-11-yr. boys in person into the general priesthood session shouldn't they? As for what you called "sneaking," there's no need to think that if you let him watch the priesthood session at home with you it would even be considered “sneaking,” because 1. that's not really being sneaky anyway (though I did understand your figure of speech), and 2. now even the sisters can watch it live that way anyway (instead of having to wait for it to show up on the site only after the conference was over). Anyone can now watch the priesthood session live; but just not all in-person. However, you MAY be able to get away with getting him into a priesthood session in person! I don't think they check id.s (birth cert.s for people that young) there! ;-D

• MaxxFordham OREM, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 3:03 p.m.

TigerSue,

I'm actually not misinformed; you are. The general sisters' meetings are only as connected with general conference as that they are in the season and are archived into the same Ensign issue and webpage as general conference is. They aren't the opening session of general conference, because if they were, then the leaders would conduct them thus and name them as one of the SIX sessions of general conference, rather than as conferences themselves. And then Lloyd Newell and the conductor wouldn't announce the current Saturday morning session as the first session of general conference! Also, if the sisters' meetings were truly part of general conference, then the leaders should've either put the priesthood session on the previous weekend too (at a different time slot for babysitting purposes), or they would've had a slot for one of the sessions on the main Sunday at 6:00 (preferably a general session for the best final closure).

I don't know where you got the idea that we men weren't encouraging our wives to listen/watch/go to the RS meetings. I know many men who do, including my dad. When I'm married I will too.

• Belinda, Melbourne Australia Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Nov. 5, 2013 3:00 p.m.

@Shark,
    Have you stopped to think that perhaps we are needing to go back to the combined meeting now for some particular reason that you and I aren't currently privy to? I agree and understand that not all decisions are inspired, but why can't this one be?? The decision to separate the meetings back in 1993 was definitely inspired. As a YW leader at the time, it was necessary for this to happen so that the YW of that period could be prepared more to serve in the Church and in their homes and to prepare them for the things they were about to face and continue to face as parents of youth today. But times and needs change and we need to be able to prepare ourselves for that. That's how I look at this decision. The bottom line is, does it really matter in the big scheme of things whether you or I feel this is inspiration or not. Just a thought.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Nov. 5, 2013 1:34 p.m.

I am not surprised by this at all. I have wondered for the past 15 years or so if something like this might eventually come -- not sure why, I just did.

8 year old girls, like mine, attend Achievement Day Girls, this will be a nice addition to their lives. The boys that age are already involved in Scouting and have various scout activities and events, including Day camps, which the girls did not have in their schedules.

Let's just enjoy this change and take advantage of it. Any time the church makes a change or a policy, many of us celebrate and see the wisdom in it; while too many others complain and accuse church leadership of pandering to some anonymous group or another. The church continues to move -- let's move along with it.

• Mayfair City, Ut
    Nov. 5, 2013 1:23 p.m.

2blitz-- try lds.org. You can listen to them over and over as much as you want.

• aceroinox Farmington, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 1:23 p.m.

Hahaha! So amusing to see everyone reveal their biases, worries and insecurities. Tons of armchair quarterbacks who see a piece of the puzzle and assume they viewing the big picture...great entertainment.

• terra nova Park City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 1:15 p.m.

This change is designed to make the move from Young Women's to Relief Society easier. Expect to see the Young Women and Relief Society combined more often (and perhaps permanently) on a ward level in coming years. Doing so will bless both organizations, simplify the ministry of growing world-wide church and add depth young sisters considering missions.

These are all good things. Good things are always inspired.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 1:14 p.m.

I guess if the people that are complaining about it being on a separate week. They could go back to when Conference week was held on Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday. It seems like there was also a Friday. Each of them filled using more time than now.

It's obvious in the world we live in, that it would be a harder to try and get work off.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 1:06 p.m.

@ NedGrimley. No stress here. Just asking, especially when some folks seems to equate such things into miracles from above, when they really aren't. That's all.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 12:31 p.m.

This has nothing to do with "pressure" from women. The Lord, through the brethren, has instituted a new meeting that includes all female members of the Church. That is wonderful and the Lord has his reasons for establishing this at this time.

General Priesthood meeting is for Priesthood members ONLY. The issue is NOT age, it is membership in the Priesthood. The way these meetings are conducted is based on the needs of each group and it is not necessary that they be equal or even similar.

• tgurd Gonzales, LA
    Nov. 5, 2013 11:31 a.m.

I guess I can hardly believe people that are LDS can be so shallow and relate things to the common trends such as women petitioning for more and then making comments like and that's called inspiration wow or comments like why cant the 8 yr old boys, or an explanation on why they would let the 8 yr old girls. For all of you that are members and raise your hand to the square and sustain the Brethern do you not know what revelation is? Looking at the comments really make one wonder what part of this Church you don't understand and its sad because a lot of these same people comment on a lot of things in unfavorable ways. My advice perhaps you need to get on your hands and knees as those that support sustain and love the revelation that is received, and maybe if you humble yourselves you will get the same answers, just food for thought

• 2blitz Kalamazoo, MI
    Nov. 5, 2013 11:27 a.m.

I would like to see the women's broadcasts included in the Audio CD's of General Conference. They could be included at the end just like in the Conference Addition of the Ensign magazine. I listen to the GC talks many times over when they are on CD, but only read them once from the magazine. This would make those messages just as available to church members as the priesthood sessions in an audio format for those of us who use CD's.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 11:15 a.m.

Esquire: It's not. Carry on and find something else to stress about.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 10:02 a.m.

I don't know why this is a big deal.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    Nov. 5, 2013 9:53 a.m.

While some are, not every decision made by the leaders of the church is an eternal event. Some are merely tactical practical decisions made within the context of their stewardship. I'm quite sure the Lord is alright with them adjusting the controls to comply with His mandate. Sure, this may be inspired, but it doesn't have to be either.

• cassandove Tampa, FL
    Nov. 5, 2013 9:52 a.m.

I personally think that this is inspired. Probably not done by revelation, per se, but you can be inspired without receiving revelation, since revelation and inspiration are not one in the same. I believe that this change will help the girls and women of the church feel more united, as well as help us feel fortified and strengthened as a sisterhood and in our divine roles as daughters of God. I'm excited, and I've been waiting on this change for about a year and a half... The Lord really does answer our prayers.

• Mukkake Montreal, QC, 00
    Nov. 5, 2013 9:43 a.m.

Ernest T. Bass:
    [This will be so great for my daughters! Can't wait to hear about modesty and how to be supportive stay at home wives.]

I can't tell if this is sarcastic, based on the rest of the overblown excitement for this "oh so inspired announcement" on this board.

I just really hope it is sarcastic, as I would feel sorry for any girl whose father expects them to be "supportive stay at home wives".

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    Nov. 5, 2013 9:27 a.m.

I like the idea, although it won't affect me. I only have boys.

• shimmer Orem, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:59 a.m.

Once again pressure from women in the church results in "inspired" change.

• shark Buena Vista, VA
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:48 a.m.

If this was an inspired change (and I'm not saying it was, but sometimes changes just happen because of decisions leaders make), than was the discontinuance of combined meetings in 1993 uninspired? Don't get me wrong, I believe our leaders receive inspiration, but not every decision made is by inspiration. Not every calling is made by inspiration.

• oldschooler USA, TX
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:47 a.m.

I'll get all my brethren from the Elder's quourum to attend that meeting, I would like to know what women talk about. JUST KIDDING! Great and inspired idea. AI totaly support this decision and glad for all the women in church.

• NT SomewhereIn, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:40 a.m.

@play by the rules

"I am LDS, but this is not worthy of a news story. This could be a one sentence announcement."

...so, your 2-sentence opinion/comment is twice as important or newsworthy?

• Tigersue Lehi, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:31 a.m.

MaxxFordham,
    Like so many people you are misinformed. The General Women's meetings are attached to general conference, just because they are held the weekend before the rest of the meetings does not mean they are separate from Conference. They are actually the opening session. They can't put them on the weekend because it is already busy with the other meetings so they are scheduled the Saturday before. It is because of this misunderstanding that so many people seem to think the women have no role in General Conference. Women have been praying in Conference settings long before but because this session is not "valued", men don't encourage their wives to go, it isn't set aside as important as the Priesthood session for men, it is not seen as important as the rest of the Conference sessions.

I myself am ambivalent about this change. I have always enjoyed the separate meetings and having a RS meeting where I don't feel talked down to, but talked to on a intellectual level. I don't like feeling talked down to in a sticky sweet voice that is common with women working in the Primary for so many years.

• Ohio-LDS NE, OH
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:15 a.m.

I am also curious as to whether 8-11 year old boys will be allowed to attend Priesthood Session. I have two boys in that age group. I guess I can "sneak" them in by just watching the session together at home. But it would be nice to hear some guidance on why 8-11 year old girls are now invited to a special conference session but not 8-11 year old boys.

Also, it seems odd that the General Primary Presidency will be speaking in a meeting that half of their organization is not allowed to attend (boys). I always viewed these good Sisters as leaders who preside over children rather than leaders who preside over just girls. Hey, maybe we can invite them to speak to the 8-11 year old boys in Priesthood Session!

• grandmagreat Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Nov. 5, 2013 7:42 a.m.

What a blesskng for those that travel Long Distances to attend General Conferenc, Making that long trip twice a year with the entire family, now Mom and the grils can go along, and do it all together. There are changes in the church that are for better and they happen all the time. I remember when June Conference was held for all of MIA, it was a blessing, however, it is no longer held. Also General Conference use to be for 3 days instead of 2. So don't complain just "Follow the prophet" he will do what the Lord whould have us do.

• play by the rules SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 7:32 a.m.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 7:21 a.m.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Nov. 5, 2013 6:10 a.m.

I love this change. What a great prophet President Monson is.

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    Nov. 5, 2013 4:53 a.m.

any meetings planned where 8 year old boys can attend?

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Nov. 5, 2013 12:59 a.m.

I love being a member of this wonderful church! So grateful my parents accepted the gospel when it was presented to them. It has truly being a blessing in our lives! Inspiring changes like this testifies to me that the Lord is at the helm of this great and marvelous work! What a joy to be led by a prophet of God in these turbulent yet exciting times!

• MaxxFordham OREM, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 11:24 p.m.

Heheheh, well now there ya GO, sisters! With this addition of girls even down to as young as age 8 now, well... you may still not have the priesthood and its accompanying general meeting, but you have beaten us priesthood holders in one way here: that is that now even younger members of your sex get added to the pile of those who can attend the meetings in person than even our deacons! :-)

Oh, and the other thing is that now all you sisters 8 and over get TWO meetings to yourselves--and you get your meetings by themselves too; while we priesthood holders only get our one general meeting to ourselves, but ours has to be attached to general conference. It doesn't get to be its own thing like yours have been and still are. How do you like that? Is that pretty cool?

(I guess you could find ways to look at that as either pessimistically or *optimistically*!)

Mike

• InspectorC Wasatch Front, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 11:05 p.m.

I wish the article had mentioned WHY they want to make this change.

I don't get it.

• Grandma 20 Allen, TX
    Nov. 4, 2013 10:33 p.m.

What a marvelous, inspired change. Three years ago I attended the Young Women's meeting in the Conference Center in SLC with my granddaughter (17 years old at the time) and her mother. It was a marvelous, refreshing sight then to see all of those beautiful women and to feel of their enthusiasm and spirits. It will be even more marvelous that we, as sisters, both young and old, will be able to come together twice a year to hear the words of our inspired leaders. This will be a great unifying time in our lives.

• LVCoug NORTH LAS VEGAS, NV
    Nov. 4, 2013 9:31 p.m.

I've been looking forward to taking my young sons to Priesthood meeting, and now my wife can look forward to the same thing with our daughters! Inspired change for sure.

On a COMPLETELY unrelated note, all of the Wasatch front ice cream shops are preparing for 2 additional peak Saturday evenings per year.

• Rosebyanyothername Home Town USA, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 8:45 p.m.

This is a great change. The Northwest Area, Washington Kennewick Mission had a similar Regional meeting with the General Presidencies of Primary, Relief Society and Young Women's Leaders speaking to the Primary ages eight year old, through young women to adult age women. It was a unifying experience throughout the stakes of Washington and some of Oregon. The messages were applicable to every female present. We drank in the feelings of the still small voice and were filled. Sister missionaries were also a part of it. We went away fed and nurtured by the Spirit. The general presidencies left us with such hope and confidence we could meet all challenges in today's world. It was powerful.

We thank you for the wonderful opportunity to bond with our leaders, daughters and each other as women.

• gittalopctbi Glendale, AZ
    Nov. 4, 2013 8:20 p.m.

Wow--that's pretty cool! I hope the world can handle it...that's going to be some very awesome spiritual power gathered together all over the world.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 8:12 p.m.

I believe that would be an incredible experience to be there in the presence of those humble young and older women together. As always, another inspired change.