Dick Harmon: JD Falslev's broken hand a sports tragedy for BYU star senior

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 6, 2013 11:22 a.m.

People are much smarter on Monday morning. He could have broken his hand in many different "safe" activities. Ask the people at the water park how many broken hands have happened there.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2013 10:02 p.m.

Let's keep things to a nice calm level during football season like Chucky Cheese, Trafalga, Ping Pong, Monopoly...

Rancherito's ... well before midnight, nothing good happens after midnight.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 6:57 p.m.

. . .as in the BCS bowl game? AMEN!

• Indy St George, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2013 4:20 p.m.

I have heard that Falslev is a great kid and a good leader but.... Every time he fields a punt I cringe.

He is clearly a very emotional player that has a lot of heart, but is far from an impact player. I am sure the team will miss his presence in the huddle though.... oh wait we don't huddle anymore.

• logicalfallacy Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 5, 2013 3:44 p.m.

I think Mendenhall needs to man up and admit this was a bonehead thing to do. Any serious athlete is paranoid during the season not to do anything out of the ordinary. Surfing? Surprised he didn't have them breaking in some of his horses on the ranch. I say BM sits out a game and thinks this one over.

• red.diehard The Middle Of, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 2:11 p.m.

Who reads Harmon? I am only here for the comments.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Nov. 5, 2013 12:24 p.m.

You really hate to see season ending injuries. I wish JD well in the future - he sure was fun to watch.

• CaptainCougar Sandy, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2013 10:57 a.m.

@So. Cal Reader

Harmon was trying to show his character... Take a chill pill and go read some military battle field reports if you want all details and no story.

• timmysfan CITRUS HEIGHTS, CA
    Nov. 5, 2013 10:25 a.m.

I don't want to see him in San Fransisco. I want to see him in Arizona! Can I get an Amen?!

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Nov. 5, 2013 10:18 a.m.

"'He’s a kid you’d want your daughter to marry,' said David Strunk, who worked in the offseason with Falslev at Sleepy Ridge Golf Course in Vineyard." Stop already. I stopped reading the article after this statement. Just write the article about Falslev's injury and impact on the team. I don't care about this "personal" aspect that has zero to do with the injury. I hope David Strunk enjoys his "15 minutes of fame."

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:54 a.m.

Unfortunate for BYU as Wisconsin will be punting a lot on Saturday.

• XelaDave Salem, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:13 a.m.

Water Park- yes bad idea- but given the events of the last bye-week- partying in Vegas with pictures I suppose a water park and an injury are an easier sell to upper admin at BYU

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 7:37 a.m.

This is horrible news. Hope he can play in the bowl game.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 7:23 a.m.

I don't want to harp but young people think they are invulnerable and immortal which leads to accidents that can be prevented. One role of a team member is to consider the good of the team when you act on and off the field. It is hard to rein in the impulse to "dare and do" but the loss of playing the rest of the season for this young man and the loss of a team mate could have been prevented.

This may be why professional athletes have very specific contracts with lots of things permitted and prohibited. Hope this is a learning event for the coaching staff, and players as well.

It's also a great lesson in life, it happens.

Glad it wasn't more serious and it sounds like he'll be fine with some time to heal.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 4:33 a.m.

It's amazing how these kids do really dumb things. It's the football season, they should not be doing anything but playing football, going to class and dating girls. A water park in late October...in Provo?

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Nov. 4, 2013 11:00 p.m.

A major bummer for JD. His absence could be a negative factor on Saturday - hopefully not. Hope he recovers fast enough to suit up again this year.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 7:48 p.m.

I hate accidents, especially of the kind that are preventable, freakish or not. I kind of agree with the previous comment... a water park?

Good luck JD on your recovery, hope to see you in December!

• From Ted's Head Orem, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 7:31 p.m.

While it is a tough break, Falslev has proven that he has what it takes to excel despite the odds and I expect that he has many successes ahead of him in life once his football career is over. I imagine most schools have their stories of walk-ons who with superior effort and tenacity rose to outdo their more highly recruited teammates. Ansah, Van Noy, Falslev, and there are likely many others who have outperformed their expectations and can hold their heads high having done their very best. It's been a pleasure to watch these fine young student-athletes.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 4, 2013 7:10 p.m.

Indoor water park, surfing on the artificial wave. I'm sure the coaches are regretting that decision.

• Commenter88 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2013 6:49 p.m.

Water Park? It's freezing outside. Whose hair-brained idea was that? Geez Louise.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 6:40 p.m.

First time I saw J.D. I knew he was going to be a great one. I appreciate his heart and his spirit. Get Well soon J.D. Want to see you in San Fransico!!
    All of Cougar Nation