Logan will face Olympus without its starting quarterback

• superguru Logan, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 1:44 a.m.

Been trying to find the video from the endzone view that was taken by FOX13. Anyone know where to find the video?

• utahsportsfan123 Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 9:59 a.m.

I was at the game and although I did not have a good vantage point of the foul. I have seen a number of angles showing "the kick". It is impossible to have an undisputed interpretation, from the replays, of the player's intent or the maliciousness of the infraction; however, the player had already established himself as player to watch on a previous play.

This wasn't the young man's first infraction. If you look at the first Logan touchdown, you will see Riley clearly pushes number 87's head into the ground as he stands after the touchdown run. I believe this along with the trash talking that accompanied the incidents drew enough attention to the player that the officials felt compelled to throw their flags. Perhaps there is a teaching opportunity here for all the players on both sides as well as the other athletes in the tournament.

Bias will not dwindle in the debate and the call and sanctions will remain unchanged.

Good-luck to all the teams remaining in the tournament! It has been an enjoyable season!

• mab93 Provo, UT
    Nov. 6, 2013 8:13 p.m.

After seeing the footage that highlights the kick I think that it would be reasonable to consider that an offense where officials can eject someone, especially after warning them about a similar infraction. Even if it was unintentional, dismissing it would open a huge loophole in the rules. The main problem I see is that the rules aren't applied the same to all teams in all games. What was overlooked in one game causes ejection in another. In the Timp game the same day Timpanogos would have had at least one player that would have been ejected in the first quarter if the same standards were followed. The refs are human, and don't see everything. Though I would be against it for other calls, I wish there was a way for a team to have refs review film for unsportsmanlike conduct and personal fouls in situations where it may lead to player injury or fighting. Two years of tough luck for Logan, though I don't think it will change the outcome of the playoffs since he will be in for the East game, they were able to hold off Bountiful, and they have the week to prepare.

• 86&90UTE Holladay, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:55 p.m.

So, if his injured knee caused the pain which caused the involuntary kick, then he should be held out as he is a kicking risk. Olympus player " Gee Coach, I would have tackled him, but you know what they said about his involuntary kicking problem, so I just moved out of the way so I wouldn't get a toe to the jaw". Really?

• jstsayin Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 7:34 p.m.

So to get this straight...the doctor and coach (family friend) say that he grabbed his knee as a natural reaction to pain and then his leg flinched as a natural reaction when he went to step forward. Look at the film - he is facing the player on the ground and kicks as he is standing up and stepping back on his right leg. So why does he only grab his knee after he is walking away. It looks like the only thing he does by touching his knee is straighten out his knee pad. His body language sure doesn't look like he is in any pain and all the film of the game after doesn't show him in any pain. He should be given the flags thrown as souvenirs and use them to wipe his tears.

• H.S.sportsfan Ephraim, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 5:57 p.m.

My question that I cannot see where it has been stated is what did Nelson do to receive his first penalty, as it takes two to get ejected?

• TruthBTold SLC, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 5:37 p.m.

Take the play-offs out of the equation... do you honestly believe the words you are writing..., that this calculated move was a reaction to pain? If that was a true statement then modify the rules of the game at all levels and allow kicking, punching, shoving, head-butting, etc. since pain is part of the game (as evidenced by Athletic Trainers, Ice Baths, etc.)..., NOT!

The "Medical professional" you speak of is a family friend who has a direct relationship to Dr. Nelson--both of which are in the Orthopedic field--has suspect motives to defend this family at all cost, and knows better than to let a player with even a (suspected) slight tear play a game that could complete the tear.

So, you tell us, is the QB really injured and shouldn't be playing, or as the FOX 13 film clearly shows, had a momentary lapse of judgement and is now facing the truth and the consequences of his actions.

If anything it appears the UHSAA is saving this kid from himself, his coaches (incl. Asst. Coach brother Riley who's been non-stop tweeting all day), his father and a renowned doctor. Good on them.

• johnny pigskin Sandy, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 5:21 p.m.

Go Olympus! No one is given you much credit, and if you win it is because there qb is out? What happened to next man up? Maybe the Logan back up will suprise some people? A win is a win, No excuses.

• NT SomewhereIn, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 4:32 p.m.

"The coach and doctor's motives need to be reviewed, what they seem to be saying is: "the knee is injured, so let him play"."

No, actually what they are saying is that the "kick" was a reaction to pain and that the suspension should be overturned. After, you can draw your own conclusions or pass whatever judgment on the coach/doctor if they were to give the green light to allow Nelson to play.

Interpret how you will, but don't put words in their mouths.

• NT SomewhereIn, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 4:26 p.m.

@IRS Agent

"Based on the severity of the injury described by the medical professional, it sounds like he should probably sit out a game so as not to risk further injury. I can't imagine a coach with so much concern over his player being hurt would jeopardize his well being by subjecting him to further injury. Sounds like the decision made by the officials is immaterial. The coach would obviously put the kid's safety first anyway."

Sounds like you would agree, then, that the final decision to allow the athlete to play should be with the coach and the medical professional - and NOT the UHSAA. I would agree with that viewpoint.

• podunk utah DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 4:16 p.m.

even if Logan manages a win against Olympus, East will pulverize them the following week

• Braxton ogden, ut
    Nov. 5, 2013 3:44 p.m.

After a bit more research. Nelson is an orthopedic surgeon. He practiced under Goble who is quoted in this article. I'm guessing poor reporting by Phibbs and Donaldson. I do question if he has a possible tear why his Dad and Goble would clear him to play. SMH. Not sure i want them touching my knee.

• n8rix Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 5, 2013 3:25 p.m.

Something does not feel right about what is happening here. I have a hunch there is more to the story than we are being told. East High is cheering hard for Olympus this week.

• Tenn12 Orem, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 2:21 p.m.

I find it ironic that the very same coach (Favero) was so very outspoken about the UHSAA and how they were gutless and wouldn't stand by the letter of the law and their own rules last year, but yet is now asking for appeals and exceptions. I don't know whether Nelson's injury is truly the reason for the kicking motion because it can't be proven. I do wonder though if it's better for the kid's health for him to sit. If he's injured and because of the injury and pain associated with it, can't control things like what just happened, isn't he a hazard for himself and other players? I would be concerned about his health if I was his coach. I hope to see Logan win and play East at full strength because it would be exciting. But I do understand why the UHSAA stood their ground.

• Braxton ogden, ut
    Nov. 5, 2013 1:58 p.m.

He reached down to grab his knee in pain right after he kicked it forward. I thought his Dad is an orthopedic surgeon? He is probably shaking his head in embarrassment at the doctor saying ACL contusion..... There is no such a thing. Contusion to a bone yes tendon no. Either poor reporting on Phibbs and Donaldson or the Dr. Needs to go back to school.

• CheetahMahi Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 1:06 p.m.

It's too bad Logan can't be at their best during all playoff games. I hope they make it past Olympus, so we can see the only undefeated teams in 4A match up.

Nov. 5, 2013 12:52 p.m.

So much for the other 10 guys on the field. I guess Nielson blocks for himself, catches his passes from himself and takes the handoffs from himself. The fact of the matter is, there are 10 other guys on the field, that's why it's a TEAM sport. If Olympus loses then they lose to a quality TEAM that is 11-0, if they win then they beat a quality opponent, period. Logan still beat a very good Bountiful team without Nielson, the score was as close without him as it was with him. These two teams have played very similar opponents with similar outcomes. Olympus lost to a good Corner Canyon team by a point and hasn't looked back since. With or without Nielson Logan has it's hands full, as does Olympus. This will be a great test for both teams. I pick Olympus to win it close.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 12:46 p.m.

After further video review. I have seen the video. Take a seat young man, we will see you next week. He kicks the kid or towards him, the flags get thrown, then he puts his hand on the kid to suggest he is sorry and to maybe get out of the flag that was already thrown.

And an injury...that is just laughable. He sure seems to be moving alright before and after the play. The hot head got caught and deserves the punishment. Take a seat.

I hope Olympus somehow wins, and this kid is the reason. This Nelson kids has been looked at as a leader for a couple of years now, so act like one. Don't be like your brother kid. Keep it together, it will only help you and your team in the long run.

• pleblian salt lake city, utah
    Nov. 5, 2013 11:24 a.m.

since I am not a doctor, I'll defer to one. But let's assume the injury is real as described. Are you arguing the injured player tried to kick another player (after scoring a touchdown) with his injured knee?

• UtahDodgerFan Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 11:05 a.m.

Sounds like Nelson is a hot head if this was his SECOND flag in the game. Most kids don't get one 15 yarder in a game but he went all out for a second one. Football is a team sport. When one person thinks its all about him, u got trouble.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 10:54 a.m.

An Injury? Whatever! Look at it this way, you have a team, it is not one guy. So go win the game, which I think Logan will anyway. And look at it this way. Your QB gets a week off to let that injury heal up going into the Semi's. What a break for Logan to have this happen.

• just sayin' Woods Cross, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 10:08 a.m.

Logan thinks they're above the rules! Let him play. They are not winning it anyways so it will be mute once they lose at RES. It will come down to Timpview and WX winner which I'm riding with my CATS!!

• common twit Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 9:36 a.m.

Believe me when I say I don't want to defend officials or the UHSAA. That being said, I see plenty of flaws with the Logan side. First, Nelson was taken to a doctor for an MRI by monday morning. The only way you can get in that soon is if it is a "favorable" doctor. My son had a broken arm and the hospital did not even put on a cast until the radiology could look at the xrays. Which was two days later. And that was not on a weekend. Second, if this kid is hurt, why is he even thinking about playing? In spite of what CV1 says, this kid is in high school. He should not be out risking more injury. If he was making millions, I would say play maybe. Third, Logan comes off as a bit whiney. They have had a fabulous season. Losing a player or a game does not change that.

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 9:36 a.m.

UHSAA won't overturn it because it wasn't the East High QB that did it or the Bingham QB...typical UHSAA.

• IRS Agent PROVO, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 9:25 a.m.

I believe that the natural response to pain is to "pull" away from the source, not "push" your limb toward it. The body's natural reflex is to pull back toward the core as a defense mechanism. Even an injured animal will recoil first and then lash out in fear, anger, aggression, etc.

• Cache Valley1 Logan, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 9:00 a.m.

Dear UHSAA, does this mean you're now the judge, jury, AND doctor? The way you have completely dismissed medical advice and opinion sets a very dangerous precedent for your future and the future of what you have set as the example for the coaches in the state of Utah.

• TruthBTold SLC, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:49 a.m.

I'm dismayed how the public is easily swayed by inaccurate and incomplete information that is readily available.

When I read the article this morning, I thought I recognized this doctor's name (I have no affiliation with Cache Valley). Sure enough, a quick internet search and here it is, a DN article when the Riley Nelson x-fer to BYU debacle occurred. The article is: "Found: A physician friend of the Nelsons speaks out, By Dick Harmon, Tuesday, June 3, 2008". In this article Dr. Goble, an Orthopedic Surgeon, who's a personal family friend of Dr. Nelson (Riley & Chase's father) adamantly defending the family. This relationship alone puts his recent letter to the UHSAA, and it's motives into deep question.

I've seen the YouTube Video and in no way does Nelson show any signs of pain or a reflexive kick. In fact, he walks off without a limp.

With more searching I found better footage from FOX 13, where a cameraman is directly behind the EZ & players, clearly showing Nelson stand straight up, stare directly at the tackler, and confirms kicking his foot at his face. Clear intent, a Flagrant Personal Foul worthy of ejection.

Check the facts.

• pleblian salt lake city, utah
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:21 a.m.

Old Ball Coach,

I think Nelson and his team will learn a lesson from this. Far from the one you wish. Spin it how you want, but both calls were doubtful, and the second has been impeached by solid evidence of an alternative cause.

No appeal of an ejection is a nonsensical rule. I think every ejection should be reviewed by USHAA for mitigating or aggravating circumstances which should diminish or extend the penalty. It is not the case here, but sometimes refs might be human.

Unfortunately, Olympus gets to prove nothing by playing Logan without 80% of Logan's offensive production on the field. Nelson is that good-check the record books, survey the number of haters/critics. It is a trap game for Olympus. If they win, well, it really just means they beat a hobbled horse in a race; if they lose they will be embarrassed.

I give Olympus more credit that some of these others. They should beat a quarterback-less Logan.

• chuvak21 LOGAN, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:08 a.m.

The coach and doctors don't tell you that he is hurt until he is cleared, then when the UHSAA clears him to play his MRI miraculously comes back negative and he is good to go.

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:02 a.m.

Good for the UHSAA by standing by the ref's decision....sorry the player, not LOGAN. Logan will still go out and play this Friday, and has a good shot of winning a game without its start.

Nelson I feel bad for, but at the same time, this is all about life lessons and he will learn from it, and be a better adult from it. The rules reply to all, he was flagged earlier in the game, and should have known better not to react. I know the ref's were watching him the rest of the night after the first. Favero was also told if he does it again he will be out by the ref's, so it should not be a surprise.

Logan still wins...its just going to be a closer game than with Nelson.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 7:52 a.m.

Good call. Good decision.

• wiseacre Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 7:49 a.m.

@Kimmy P - - That is spot on! That brings into question of how much integrity does the Logan coaching staff have? If you look at twitter, their coaches are going on such a rant about this that their integrity and respect that everyone has talked about them having is waning.

• Cache Valley1 Logan, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 7:49 a.m.

If anybody has ever played a sport in their life they would understand that injuries happen all of the time in contact sports like football and basketball. Very few of the injuries are severe enough to pull someone from a game. We aren't talking about soccer here! Karl Malone and John Stockton were great examples of playing through pain and minor injuries. Just because an athlete has a minor sprain, tear, contusion, etc. doesn't mean they are ultimately injured enough to pull themselves from a game. Maybe they are and maybe they aren't. Doctors and trainers should determine that and not fans, haters, or even the UHSAA.

• KimmyP Granstville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 6:14 a.m.

Here's the irony of the entire situation; the coach uses the doctor's report to show the player's knee is injured and thusly should not be suspended as the action was an involuntary reaction to injury. They even go on the detail the extent of the injury. However, if the ruling had been reversed, all thought or concern of the injury would be thrown out the window and the kid would be playing in the game. So, which is it, the kid actually hurt his knee quite badly, or he actually kicked at the other player because the knee isn't hurt too severely?

You can't have it both ways. The coach and doctor's motives need to be reviewed, what they seem to be saying is: "the knee is injured, so let him play".

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 11:24 p.m.

Interesting comment up in Logan....

" This is the same Dr. Goble who is a family friend of the Nelson's and wrote an e-mail back in 2008 criticizing USU for the events behind Riley Nelson leaving USU to go to BYU (It was all USU's fault and not Riley's).

If I was the UHSAA I wouldn't listen to the comments from the Nelson's family friend either. Sounds like these Nelson boys like to make stupid decisions and then have daddy and his friends defend them. Take some responsibility for your actions."

• CincyRed13 SLC, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 11:13 p.m.

Without Chase Nelson, Logan will lose this game. Olympus is a very underrated and will surprise a lot of people this Friday.

• IRS Agent PROVO, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 10:46 p.m.

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 10:29 p.m.

Told you so.

Feel bad, but after he got his first one, the refs may have been watching for it.

I still think Logan wins-barely.

• Proud to be American West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 10:11 p.m.

The UHSAA is a complete joke! This is ridiculous, why have the officials not stepped up after watching the film and admitted to over reaction on this play? I watched it several times on You Tube, this kid should NOT be suspended and should NOT have been ejected. Period.

• Cache Valley1 Logan, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 10:01 p.m.

It's interesting that coaches have to defer all medical situations to the medical trainers and doctors. Especially now with concussions where the uhsaa even forces all football coaches to watch a video about concussions and then the uhsaa can just dismiss medical advice at will in a case like this. Not only dismiss the advice but question it. If a coach did that they would be fired and potentially sued. The uhsaa is above policy and law.

• Big Papi South Jordan, 00
    Nov. 4, 2013 9:36 p.m.

Either the article didn't do enough to share the officials' side, or the officials didn't feel like they needed to justify anything... Which I think is their biggest problem. Everyone that saw the video commented that it didn't look bad. We've all seen athletes throw punches or cheap shots and this obviously wasn't one of those situations, and yet the officials still hide behind their rigid interpretation of a rule that clearly wasn't violated with intent. If they can't distinguish a difference between someone actually throwing a punch/kick with intent and someone simply kicking out a leg then how can we trust them to make any sound judgment calls? The officials are obviously being stubborn and feel like they are bigger than the game. It's sad that we allow this to happen. It's even more sad that the presiding officials act like they're disappointed for the player and are helpless to do anything about it when clearly they have the ability to make things right.

• WestFBking Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 8:40 p.m.

Bottom line, is the young man physically okay? How severe is his knee injury?

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 8:11 p.m.

I saw the video... Slowed it down. The kid did nothing wrong.

• DN Subscriber 2 SLC, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 7:54 p.m.

Good sportsmanship and following the rules is more important than playing a game.
    This kid can still go to college, still play sports, and still have a great life without play in in one game.

Heck, he could even want to be a referee in the future just to be sure that every call is 100% accurate and never worthy of being challenged.

Would everyone be this concerned if the guy who drew the two simultaneous flags was a little known lineman on a losing team not in the playoffs?

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Nov. 4, 2013 7:20 p.m.

I want to see footage of the "kick" before I form an opinion.

• HTSJCCAFALG Richfield, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 7:17 p.m.

It should not be interpreted that because "two referees threw" their flag on the play that they both saw it.

It is obvious and known that ref's throw their flag when they see their buddy throw one. THAT way it appears if they both saw it. Watch closely the next time you see any game and your see "bang-bang" flags ALL the time!!! It is the 'official' unofficial way to coaches and fans from thinking only one saw it.

• podunk utah DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 7:15 p.m.

I still think Logan wins this one