Sports

Brad Rock: Long night of losses takes toll on Hawaii head man Norm Chow

Comments

• Gone fishin PAC Country, WA
    Nov. 4, 2013 2:54 p.m.

Maybe he should schedule Utah since they cannot win outside of the state. Easy win there.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 1:22 p.m.

@ Northern:

I totally agree with you. It is indeed tough when playing the best team in the state. USU found out all about that when they played BYU a few weeks ago and got handily beat.

Fortunately for Hawaii, they don't have to play BYU this year. The last two times they've played, BYU took them to the woodshed (44-20 in 2011 and 47-0 last year), after which Norm Chow announced he didn't want to schedule BYU anymore. It's hard to blame him.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2013 6:14 a.m.

WJCoug

"Isn't this the same guy who refused to allow an athlete to transfer to BYU??? The kid wanted out and he wouldn't let him go - without exacting a pound of flesh.

I appreciate what he did for BYU while coaching there for many, many years but I have no sympathy for where he is now."

Couldn't agree more.

• durwood kirby South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 3, 2013 8:38 p.m.

Hang in there Norm.

• WJCoug South Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 3, 2013 12:17 p.m.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Nov. 3, 2013 10:02 a.m.

Hawaii is just one of those programs where it is hard to win. Once in a while they'll have a good run, but let's face it. When you live somewhere as beautiful and awesome as Hawaii, what motivation is there to play an angry, physical, violent game? Just enjoy the sun, sand, surf, and beautiful women ;).

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    Nov. 3, 2013 9:51 a.m.

I agree with the first poster. I have zero sympathy for Hawaii. There late starts have affected the play of teams that go there to play them.

It is sad that they were delayed because of the LAX shooting but Chow is right, there are no excuses other than they are just plainly outplayed and overmatched.

• Northern Logan, UT
    Nov. 3, 2013 8:32 a.m.

It's tough when you're playing the best team in the state.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Nov. 3, 2013 5:59 a.m.

It is very difficult to take ovr a terrible football program at the age of 65. Hawaii head coaching job is for a young man. I wish Coacg Chow would have gotten his shot at head coach when he was younger.

• Zoniezoobie Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 2, 2013 11:29 p.m.

Things may have been different if he would have succeeded LaVell like a lot of folks thought he should. The same goes for BYU joining the PAC12 with Utah. However, different storylines have unfolded for Norm and BYU.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Nov. 2, 2013 10:06 p.m.

Many good assistants cannot do the top job. This applies to more than just football.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 9:42 p.m.

I have zero sympathy for Hawaii. They are all too eager to make teams play night games in Hawaii and have a "time advantage" (like starting at mid-night for the visiting team and playing until 3 am) and they provide plenty of distractions for the visiting teams so they can get a bigger home field advantage. And then whenever a team got even a spark of momentum Hawaii would fake an injury----dozens during a game----to slow things down. The next play the guy that limped off the field ran back on, full throttle, making even the announcers shake their heads. It was legal, but not very classy.

They can't win a game on the mainland no matter what they do. So they get what they deserve, in my view. Chow has had enough success in his career he can live on memory lane and still smile I'm pretty sure. If I were him, I'd graciously pass the torch to some younger man.

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 2, 2013 8:48 p.m.

Some folks' DNA are not made for the headman and that's the way it is no matter how hard you try- reminds me of some dude that was at the Y not too long ago