High school football: State tournament pairings

• JohhnyG Draper, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 8:16 p.m.

Wow what happened to Alta. This was never a game. 41 to 6 until LP put in 2nd and 3rd string.it was late in the 3rd. Baron was on fire actually the whole offense played well.

• EaglesandUtes Duchesne, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 10:22 a.m.

Garden City

It is amazing how every year for the last four years the comments coming from the northern part of the state are the same. You have to give credit to Duchesne for the seasons that they have put together for the last five years. They never rest on their larels and play JV teams or no name teams from out of state. This coaching staff always challenges their players by playing preseason games that always include 2A and 3A teams.

Injuries have plauged Duchesne just like the other teams you have mentioned. But this team seems to be able to fight thru then and to find other players that step up to the plate.

No doubt the games for the next two weeks are going to be great games. Rich will have their hands full with Kanab today. I believe that Duchesne will take care of Diamond Ranch today and then set their sights on another.....yes another.....state championship. Go Eagles!!

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 8:29 a.m.

Very true tharef, Clay Moss is easily a top 5 running back in 5A. Plus it helps that they have the #1 running QB in Utah high school football history on the same team. Pleasant Grove is good but the Diggers are better. WOOOOO! Only 32 1/2 hours till kickoff!!!!!!

• tharef Riverton, UT
    Nov. 6, 2013 5:27 p.m.

I just want to mention one name in the Jordan PG game. Clay Moss. I believe he will attain the same numbers he did last year against PG. And I bet Coach Hamilton is keying on stopping the run game this year. Moss torn them up last year. So What Hamilton is going to do is bring that saftey down in the box. Play a cover zero and just hope that Austin tucks it and runs. That way when Kjar starts throwing it, it will make Hamilton switch back to 2 safties once he see's that BOOOOM here comes Moss for the long or short TD run. Jordan will win this game, but it comes down to the chess match these two coach's been in together when Hamilton was at Alta. Go Digger. Oh and I perdict a Region 3 final 4 match up at RES on NOV 15th. Jordan 49 PG 24

• Tmf44551 Layton, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:32 p.m.

Herriman Vs Bingham in the 5A championship.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 6:43 p.m.

adwight, very well put and you're right, there were some breaks that went Alta's way and without Baron LP isn't the same team. I don't know that LP will slow Alta's offense down and that will be the difference in my opinion, Alta's pass game is too good. Of course Gajkowski could go for a big night and as we all know anything can happen in the playoffs.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 3:09 p.m.

In response to plxply:

Lone Peak is a completely different team than they were week two. I'm pretty sure all of these teams are. You can't look at what happened in the last game and automatically assume that's what's going to happen again. Like Alta's coach said, the first one doesn't matter. I think Alta should have beaten Bingham. They looked like the better team with the exception of those two huge mistakes.

In the first game Lone Peak was down 14-10 with 4 minutes left in the third quarter. They went down and scored a touchdown to take the lead and it got called back for holding. Gajkowski got hurt on the play and they had their backup the rest of the game. It let the whole team down (it would to any team). Alta went down and scored to make it 21-10. Then as Lone Peak was on the 15 about to score, the quarterback fumbled the snap. Alta recovers, and next play LP's DB dropped an interception that went right into Richards' hands for a TD. That game was whole heck a lot more competitive than people think.

It should be a good game.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 1:18 p.m.

Benzo: Nobody is saying you shouldn't be proud of your team. You should root for your team. Especially with having sons playing on it. I think all any of us are saying, is you can support your team, but be realistic. Saying 3 of the 4 best teams in the state will lose is just not being realistic. Post away, and be proud of your team.

• porkpies SANDY, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 11:41 a.m.

Sorry Benzo, that's just not likely to happen it's all about region 3 this year. The beauty is, that's why they play the games we can all prognosticate til we're blue in the face but it's a funny shaped ball that frequently takes a funny bounce. I will close with this, when coach Whittingham handed the Lineman Challenge trophy to Brighton this year he joked that state champ Jordan won it the previous year. I guess we'll see if that is the key. For the record it was Alta losing to Bingham and PG losing to Brighton going into the finals at the challenge, again, region 3 dominance.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 11:25 a.m.

To everyone's pleasure...I will have to remain silent from this point in regards to the Herriman vs Brighton game. If a new or different articles pops up...it may be heard to resist...but we'll see.

I will close with this: Yes, I'm a Herriman homer. Yes, I'm a Region 4 homer (just as I was a Region 3 homer in 2010 and a Region 7 homer in 2011 and 2012)...and why not...I've had a son on the team since the school was created and will have a son on through the 2015 season.

My point in regards to Herriman and Region 4 is that I am not making an outrageous prediction in stating that Herriman, Pleasant Grove or Lone Peak will win and that Region 4 will have 2 and possibly 3 teams at RES. I believe Herriman wins...but regardless of the outcome...the winner of the game wins by 14 points or less and the game is decided in the 4th quarter. Other than the Bingham vs Riverton game...I believe this holds true for all the quarterfinal matchups. These 3 games are the best possible matchups and will be fun to watch.

• Earl Yee Not the City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 11:21 a.m.

Garden City

I am not sure how you can say it would be an upset for Duchesne to upset both Rich or Kanab. Or how you can say North Summit is not that amazing. When both North Summit and Duchesne have won close games all year long. It will be fun to see just how things end up after this weekend. I do think it will be a Duchesne VS Rich final. Hopefully another fun game for both the fans and the boys on the field.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 10:49 a.m.

plyxply: I agree. I think Alta is a much better team than their record. I don't feel the same way about Herriman. I think Alta beats LP by 14.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 10:48 a.m.

K, and the Bingham QB gave a gift interception to the Herriman team that led to a score. Again, the DB had to make the play on the ball still. Who is to say the QB didn't turn the wrong way because of something he saw the Bingham D doing across from him? I don't count turnovers as gifts. They are earned. And you're 100% correct about the Brighton game. Bingham put their 2nd string QB, 2nd string TE, 2nd string RB, and 2nd string WR in that game for the entire 4th qtr. Then up 17, they decided to throw with all their backups across the middle. Turned into a Brighton score that brought it within 10. They still stayed with their backups the remainder of the game. I thought they put their backups in too soon. Otherwise I think that game is a 24 pt margin easily. I don't see Herriman stopping Brighton. And regardless of what everybody says about Brighton's passing game, they have some HUGE receivers that can cause Herriman some big time trouble.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 10:31 a.m.

I keep seeing that most people are picking LP to beat Alta. I would like to have one of them give a good reason why they believe that will happen. The fact they are playing at LP doesn't make up for the 25 points they lost by last time.
    Did LP get some new db's? Are they going to hold Mack Richards under 256 yards receiving this time around? How? Did LP get some new d linemen to put pressure on Lucero? How are they going to stop Sansom who ran for 120 yards last time? If the double Richards how will they then stop Harrison and Teahan?
    Just piling on the bandwagon that Alta is the #4 seed and thus not good enough to beat LP again doesn't make any sense, someone give a good reason.
    I love Baron as a football player, but he can't win a game by himself.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2013 10:17 a.m.

Then you need to also take into account in that Bingham was without three of their starters for the Brighton game.

• footballisgood Holladay, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 10:14 a.m.

A bad throw is a gift (notice that QB is not playing anymore). The fumble was not caused by a blitzer, the QB turned the wrong way and hit the running back and dropped the ball (same QB). I hope Bingham beats the tar out of Riverton, as I think that they will. I think that Brighton and Herriman are pretty dang evenly matched. I thought Bingham could have beaten Brighton by more (they fumbled right to a fast Brighton defender in space for 7 points, just an unfortunate bounce, and had some big gains called back by penalties, and dropped at least two interceptions)

• Rural sport fan DUCHESNE, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 9:48 a.m.

Garden City...

Wow, that's bold. Calling it an "upset" for the number 1 undefeated team to beat a team they haven't lost to for several years? Ignoring the fact that Diamond Ranch beat Monticello in the regular season? Calling it a championship and "toppling" when Rich beat Monticello for the second time this year, handing them their 4th 1A loss this year?

I think you are confused about what championships mean.

Admittedly, Rich is a class act, and will be extremely tough to beat again, assuming they handle Kanab at SUU, but the fact is, Duchesne has had injuries all season, their starting TE/OLB didn't play until the Altamont game, they haven't had more than 3 of their 5 starting linemen at 100% all season, and yet...they are still undefeated, and they beat two 2A playoff teams on the way there.

1-A is a tossup, IMHO, but if you like small school football, there should be some really good games the next few weeks.

Got to agree on the 2A call though. Totally shocked that No. Summit beat So. Summit in the season, and I don't see it happening twice, if they even meet.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 9:15 a.m.

Footballisgood: You're wrong about the homer comment. I'll call a spade a spade when I see it. Prior to this season starting, I'd posted on multiple articles that I thought Bingham may struggle some, unless they got their QB situation figured out. Obviously they got it figured out. I don't consider turnovers as "gifts". They didn't walk over and hand the ball over to them. a DB made a play on a bad throw, a blitz caused a fumble etc. I'm west side through and through. So I hope Herriman beats Brighton in the worst way. But I just don't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong.

• footballisgood Holladay, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:48 a.m.

Gunner, everybody knows you are as bad a Bingham homer as Benzo is a Herriman one. Yes, two big penalties kept Herriman drives alive, but Herriman also gifted Bingham two turnovers in the red zone when they were close to scoring. Bringing up the Jordan point spread means nothing, Herriman was without 5 starters that game, including Farmer and Jarvis. Bingham is better than Herriman (and everyone else) if they play their best football, but I thought that the margin of victory was accurate for that game. I think Brighton-Herriman is going to be one heck of a game, and the team that makes the least amount of mistakes will win.

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:41 a.m.

Mostly likely I'll be sitting on my couch (or if Jordan gets hot and goes to the Championships, in the stands) reflecting on the game I just watched saying......Dang, that Bingham team is good. MOST LIKELY. Not a sure thing. They are definitely not in a league of there own this year. They still have three very competent teams to beat. MOST LIKELY, they win all three. But I wont bow to them as Champs until then.

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 8:28 a.m.

Picks this week...

Brighton @ Herriman: Bengals by 7
    PG @ Jordan: Diggers by 10
    Alta @ Lone Peak: Hawks by 14
    Riverton @ Bingham: Miners by 17

Oly @ Logan: Grizzlies by 3
    Corner @ East: Leopards by 28
    Salem @ WX: Wildcats by 7
    Skyview @ Timp: T-birds by 17

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 10:48 p.m.

Love your passion! but common!

just lay to rest and enjoy friday football its only 3 days away!

Your mustangs will be prepared and ready and will have all there chances to show the state HOW AMAZING a 6-5 team really is!

If you cant run with Farmer it will be a easy win for Brighton!
    If not and farmer has 150 and two td s I think Herriman can win!

But my pick is still Brighton by 6 points or less! I am going to this game at Herriman knowing
    the miners win easily over river ton!

just 3 more days and we can see this
    REGION 3 VS REGION 4 showdown!

• Uncle Sam West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 10:14 p.m.

5A Predictions:

Jordan 55, Pleasant Grove 21
    Bingham 48, Riverton 20
    Alta 28, Lone Peak 27
    Brighton 34, Herriman 17

4A Predictions:
    Logan 24, Olympus 21 (Oly catches a break, they would have lost by 4 TD's with Nelson playing)
    Timpview 41, Sky View 28
    East 56, Corner Canyon 14
    Woods Cross 34, Salem Hills 28

Bank on every one of them being correct.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 8:08 p.m.

Benzo: You keep touting the point spreads between Bingham and Herriman as why Herriman can beat them. Each game is different. It was Bingham's 2nd game of the year. So Bingham beat Herriman by 13. They Beat Jordan by 21, and Jordan beat Herriman by 22. Pts mean diddly squat. Anybody that watched that Bingham Herriman game, know that Bingham gave 2 TD's to Herriman on stupid penalties that kept drives alive for Herriman. That game was not as close as it's score.

• razorback South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 7:14 p.m.

Over the last two weeks there has been a lot of talk about poor region configuration and the need to seed teams in the tournament.

I think there would still be as much debate about who got seeded where as there is controversy over the simplicity of the current system. As for 5A, I think that in the end the 8 best teams made it to the quarterfinals and the four match-up games are outstanding. I really don't believe any seeding work would have done any better.

Talk about seeding is quiet now. It's only a first round issue. After that, fans who didn't like the match-ups are gone because their teams are gone - because they apparently weren't good enough to win state anyway. Win 4 games to take the title. No whining about who, when and where you play. It should be great football this Friday.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2013 6:51 p.m.

You keep dogging Bingham, so you say they are beatable? Well by who then since they haven't been beaten yet? Jordan didn't beat them right? Don't pack your bags to the RES yet, Still got to get past PG.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2013 6:47 p.m.

GO MINERS!!! Riverton has no chance, Bingham coasts to RES where the real fun starts!

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 6:05 p.m.

@porkpies - Brighton deserves a lot of respect and they definitely have it from me. I believe they have the best offensive line in Utah. I met their Offensive Guard, Offensive Tackle and Tight End at the All Poly Camp this summer and all 3 are beasts. With that said...I would have to disagree with Brighton being the only team to test Bingham...there is a group of 4 teams that have tested Bingham (Valor Christian, Brighton, Alta and Herriman) Here are the stats:

Bingham Lowest Points:

24 - Herriman

Bingham Lowest Scoring Margin:
    3 - Valor Christian
    6 - Alta
    11 - Brighton
    13 - Herriman

Herriman and Brighton played very similar games against Bingham. I am expecting Brighton vs Herriman to be closer than most think. I've heard Brighton by 21 and Brighton "rolls" Herriman. If the best team in Utah only beat Herriman by 13...why would Brighton beat them by more than that. Herriman home field plays into this this as well. I am predicting a hard fought 35-31 Herriman "upset" win at home over Brighton to advance to Rice-Eccles.

• H-TownTiger Hurricane, 00
    Nov. 4, 2013 6:02 p.m.

Garden City

Duchesne is going to win. plain and simple.

MY picks
    5a- Bingham
    4a- East
    3aa- Dixie
    3a and 2a- don't know anything about what has gone on in these classifications
    1a- Duchesne

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 4, 2013 5:25 p.m.

Go Bingham Go!

• Garden City GARDEN CITY, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 5:20 p.m.

Utah Bruin...the 1A state championship occurred last Friday at Rich when Rich toppled Monticello. Monticello had to flip in a three way tie and the second best team in the state had to go home during the quarter finals...too bad as they had their best player back for that game.
    I'm not saying it is impossible for Duchesne to upset Rich as they could as well as Kanab this weekend but it would be an Upset. Monticello and Rich had Duchesne on the ropes at Duchesne without their best players on the field. Yes I know Duchesne took care of N. Summit during the season but N. Summit is not that amazing and will not make it past this weekend.

South Summit wins 2A even though NS got them in the upset during the season.
    Fun time of year:)

• johnny pigskin Sandy, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 4:12 p.m.

I will pick

I give Herriman a shot at an upset, I picked PG last week and looked pretty good other than I also picked Highland? I dont think Lone peak can stop Alta recievers? And I think Jordan will outscore PG with both teams scoring over 40 points each?

4a Oly,WX.Timp, and of course East

• porkpies SANDY, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 3:00 p.m.

It's too funny, I spent all week last week looking for any region 3 talk and it was ALL about region 1, well they're ALL out after week 1 of the playoffs! When is Brighton gonna get the respect they have earned. They're the only team to give Bingham a game this year, which they led til almost halftime. Bottomline, football is won in the trenches and that points to Bingham vs Brighton, funny you never read about Brighton having the #1 offense in the state.... Just sayin people.

• SLKid79 Sugarhouse, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 1:42 p.m.

I believe that this week will be very interesting, with alot of games being closer matches than people may have thought a few weeks ago.

Herriman enjoys homefield advantage, but ultimately can't finish off Brighton.
    Brighton 35 Herriman 27
    Jordan uses their homefield advantage to stop a run by an incredible PG team, who is a lot better than a 4 seed
    Jordan 49 PG 42
    Alta and Lone Peak have a rematch on the opposite field, and this time, the outcome is different.
    LP 38 Alta 35
    Bingham rolls Riverton
    Bingham 56 Riverton 14

Olympus will put up a fight, and will win, if Nelson can't play.
    (Without Nelson) Oly 28 Logan 21
    (With Nelson) Oly 28 Logan 31
    East will roll over Corner Canyon.
    East 49 Corner Canyon 7
    Woods Cross will let Salem Hills stay close for a while but put it away in the second half.
    WX 42 SH 28
    In a rematch, Sky View will keep the game close, but ultimately lose in the end.
    T-View 31 Sky View 28

• Don Jose St. George, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 12:36 p.m.

I haven't commented for awhile on these boards, so I thought I would give my two cents. I think from the 1st round of 3AA, its obvious that 3AA north other than JD and Stansbury, are weak teams. Dixie/Cedar, and PV/Hurricane have to play each other again, and that's never easy to replay a team. My prediction is the following. Dixie will make it to championship game against JD. PV will give JD a good game in the semis, but JD is too well balanced for PV this year. In the games i've see this year if you put pressure on their QB he will make poor decisions. Dixie/JD will be an incredible game that will come down to turnovers/Defense. I think both teams are good at running and passing so its a wash on offense. In the end, I feel Dixie Repeats in shootout 35 to 31. Feel free to disagree with me!

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 12:08 p.m.

logicalsportsanalyst- A lot of people seem to think Bingham is unbeatable.....I'm glad you can see that they are. No doubt they are the best going in and the clear favorites but its nowhere near over.

• Goldendomer Holladay, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 12:02 p.m.

OK folks after the double flea flicker I am totally behind Oly. I just got chills saying that and I kinda just threw up a little in my mouth but it's true!

Any way here is how I see the 5A and 4A games. I don't know enough about the teams to comment on the 3AA and below.

Brighton 21 Herriman 17
    P.G 35 Jordan 21
    Alta 28 LP 31
    Riverton 7 Bingham 42
    Oly 31 Logan 21
    C Canyon 7 East 49
    S Hills 14 WX 28
    Sky View 21 Timpview 14

That's the way this Eagle see's it.

Best of luck to all the remaining teams.

ummaahh go Tiaaaaa ummaahhh go tttttttttttiiiiiii um oh ahhh gesh! Go Titans!

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 11:57 a.m.

Prep Fan knows what he's talking about. Jordan will take its gifted home field advantage and stomp all over Pleasant Grove. Austin will be unstoppable and will allow our defense to just settle in and make a few stops/turnovers to win the game. So if I'm correct I'll get my 5th visit to RES to cheer on my beloved Beetdiggers!!

• logicalsportsanalyst West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 11:54 a.m.

Region 3 has been referred to as the "SEC of Utah" since before the season, and they have not disappointed. Davis and Syracuse were the outsiders trying to prove everyone wrong about Region 3, and if the regular season wasn't enough proof, round one of the playoffs ended that argument. Though LP, Herriman, Riverton, and PG are very good teams this year, RES is going to be a Region 3 showdown. Bingham is the team to beat, but Alta, Brighton, and Jordan all have a legitimate chance at it. I still think Bingham takes it this year, but some good football can and will be seen in the Semis and Finals.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 11:15 a.m.

PG v Jordan. Don't forget that Jordan beat PG by 50 last year and Hamilton is a good enough coach, with good enough players, to be able to put together a plan to win this game. Somehow PG has come back and found ways to win so I wouldn't count them out. Jordan should still win but it will be close.
    Alta v LP. Alta won this game earlier for a reason, they are a better team. Gajkowski is good and will likely make plays, but Alta is playing well of late and will win again.
    Bingham v Riverton. Bingham by two or three td's, don't think Riverton can hang with them.
    Brighton v Herriman. Brighton is good upfront and will give Herriman's o line some problems. This will be a close game as well, but I don't think Herriman can stop Brighton's offense and can't play catch up.
    All region 3 at RES in my opinion.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 3, 2013 6:17 p.m.

Region 3 will roll Region 4 this week. I knew Region 1 and Region 2 were weak. Bigger and Stronger Region will win. All Reigion 3 in RES. Garantee!

• razorback South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 3, 2013 2:37 p.m.

Prep Fan 89

I think those are good predictions. I see it the same way.

• Prep Fan 89 Draper, UT
    Nov. 3, 2013 10:33 a.m.

Here are my 5A predictions this week:

Jordan 49, Pleasant Grove 28 (Jordan will lead by 4 touchdowns in the 2nd quarter)

Brighton 35, Herriman 24

Bingham 50, Riverton 21

The closest game and it could go either way: Alta 24, Lone Peak 20

Two things I can guarantee you. Jordan and Bingham will win big. PG and Riverton have no chance.

• Tmf44551 Layton, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 8:51 p.m.

Huge upsets this week.
    Herriman beats Brighton 35-28
    Bingham beats Riverton 42-10
    Lone Peak beats Alta 24-21
    Pleasant Grove beats Jordan 42-35
    Region 4 beats Region 3 (3 out of 4)
    Let me tell you why?
    Herriman match up well upfront against brighton...Brighton is not really a good passing team, but runs the ball really well...but herriman has a group of playmakers in the box on defense and has fair really well against the run. Ball control and minimizing penalties and win the turn over battle, is the reason herriman wins this game...this will be the Game of the week!
    Bingham wins in a dominate fashion, point blank.
    Lone Peak and Alta played earlier in the season with an Alta 35-10 victory. Being that this will be a second chance against Alta, it will be a home game as well...will give an extra edge for Lone Peak in this exciting rematch!
    Pleasant Grove plays a lot like Jordan...very similar offensive schemes. But coming off a huge win against Davis will give Pleasant Grove a slight edge against the Beetdigers...note that Pleasant Grove has a better defense then Jordan especially in the secondary!

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 1:47 p.m.

JD wins 3AA

Sorry Washington County

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 12:37 p.m.

Region 3 sweep and Region 4 sweep.

I'm picking Region 4 to get 3 teams into RES....2 upsets, a win and a loss.

Herriman upsets Brighton 35-31
    Pleasant Grove upsets Jordan 49-42
    Lone Peak beats Alta 28-24
    Bingham beats Riverton 42-21

I think Herriman and Brighton match up better than most people think...the same for Pleasant Grove and Jordan. Lone Peak and Alta have already played...but I think playing at home will give Lone Peak the advantage they need to win. Riverton will hang tough with Bingham...but will finally run out of gas.

• Sportfanatic West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 11:46 a.m.

Can you say an ALL Region 3 semi's for the 5A Big Boy's

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 11:00 a.m.

Bingham easily beats Riverton, I watched that game online and saw how tiny the boys at riverton are, and there going to make the short drive down 2700 west and bingham wins 45-20

The other 3 5A games will all be good!

I pick
    Brighton winning at Herriman 27-20
    Alta wins at LP 24-21
    Jordan wins 45-30

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 10:40 a.m.

After only missing one game this past week, I took Orem over Salem Hills. It may get a little tougher this week as. Last week I think was incredibly easy to pick.

1A - Duchesne still to win it all, no questions asked. Sorry the rest just do not matter
    2A - South Summit to win it all, again the rest do not matter. Maybe North Summit, I still will take S. Summit

Judge over Juab
    Morgan over Manti
    Then I will take Judge over Morgan in the 'Ship

Juan Diego over S. Canyon
    P.View over Hurricane
    Dixie over Cedar
    D. Hill over Stansbury
    Sorry JD fans I like P.View to pull off the upset and D. Hills to pull the upset and D. Hills winning it all.

Logan over Oly, QB or no QB
    East over C.Canyon
    WX over S. Hills
    TView over Sky View again in the rematch
    The 'Ship is played in the Semis with East and Logan, I like East and then East to Play TV, East Winning

I like all Region 3, and a 'Ship between Bingham and Brighton, Bingham winning. LP Alta will be the closest game.

• Pac 12 Fever Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 1:02 a.m.

many good teams in 4A

but lets not kid ourselves....the title goes thru Timpview.

Defending State Champs; Winners of 6 of the last 9 State Championships; dominant defense again this year (maybe best they have ever had they say).

We all can flap all we want about East and Logan...but reality is the TBirds will be there waiting.