Sports

5A high school football preview: Lone Peak at Syracuse

Comments

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 11:11 a.m.

Goaggies, Cuse couldn't handle Gajkowski but just because he beat you guys doesn't mean he'll do as well against Alta. Alta already handed it to LP once this year and I expect that while it will be a good game, and Baron's an awesome talent, LP just isn't deep enough to play with Alta.
    In fact the only teams who did beat Alta will likely all be playing at RES this year. Bingham, Jordan, Brighton, East, and Timpview will all make it to the turf. Keep on forgetting all about the Hawks folks, that's just fuel for their fire.
    Good job LP, and I expect you'll show up next week and play well, but in the end the Hawks are going to be too good to stop.

• Proud to be American West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 8:42 a.m.

Once again the Syracuse fans comment on their defense and how it wins games. Sorry guys, the type of football played up north is not going to win a championship. You guys and your "field position football" might be fun when you play each other, but as soon as you get out of that northern bubble it is more like shell shock.

Region 4 sweeps you out of the playoffs, Region 3 sweeps Region 2 out of the playoffs. Can you say with me "time to seed the tourney"? American Fork would have beaten all of you and I am not sure that Lehi wouldn't have either. Region 1 and Region 2 proved why you cannot use geography to do regions, there needs to be balance. Or at very worst you seed the tourney. The good news for football fans? The bad teams are out of the playoffs after 1 week.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 7:43 p.m.

Gentleman, it has been fun being here to give all of you guys crap all year long. My horse was taken out early this year in the playoffs. Baron is the real deal and can play. Take him out of the game and they good a good defense but no scoring. They should take care of Alta next week. Im done on here for the next 6 years I have another one coming up. Goodluck you guys and have fun with the rest of the season. Its been fun!!

• razorback South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 6:15 p.m.

Just shutting down at work and saw the final posted as a Lone Peak win. I think some folks up in R1 are shocked!

Just not enough offense in this one. And it looks like the difference in this one was a pick six.

• johnny pigskin Sandy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 3:50 p.m.

I like Gajkowski the QB in a close game.

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 2:52 p.m.

Im getting out of work early to go the Jordan/Hunter game....and thats gonna be a blow out

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 2:22 p.m.

Is this on TV or on the Web? Too early for workers.

• Rudy44 Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 1:39 p.m.

Pig Skin:

Lets stick to this year's results and the only common opponent of Region 1 and Region 4's top teams. Was it just a bad game for the Mustangs or were they stymied by good defense.

• Rudy44 Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 1:34 p.m.

The game that is most indicative of the Region 1 vs Region 4 matchup is
    the Highland/Herriman game. 7-3 victory for the Rams over the offensive juggernaut of the Region 4 champs.

Syracuse defeated Highland 17-14

Higland plays the kind of defense played by Syracuse and Davis.

Great defense negated good offense in this one.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 1:26 p.m.

Bruin, region 4 is good at all levels. It should be a good game today. It's hard to see the season wind down so we get a bit edgy. Your son is a great example and player at UCLA. Great article they did on your son when he came into town and popped the Utes in the mouth!!!!!!

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 11:50 a.m.

Rudy44

You said, "Defense won the day in that one.Good defense negated good offense in that one."

Was that true in the 5A championship last year, Who won a Good Offense or a Good Defense. Or Bad Preparation and Coaching; Choose an excuse.

Defensive end and goaggies1,

Stats down lie, thay will expose weaknesses. The Truth.

I actually want both Cuse and Alta to win today, to see the three peat. Alta is out for revenge on Cuse. Not sure Cuse will be there?

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 11:45 a.m.

@DefensiveEnd
    @goaggies
    @everyone on here

I am not trying to chide Cuse' I was sold on them last year. I just am not this year. And if they do beat LP, I wish them the best of luck the rest of the way. I don't get to see all of Cuse's games. I see more of Reg.4 games as I live in Utah County obviously. I have seen more Region 1 games that they televised, and there were quite a few this year. Very few other regions live. I am only giving my opinion of what I think. It doesn't mean I am right. I very well could be wrong. But, from what I have seen, and what I have read, and by looking at game outcomes. I like Region 4 and Region 3 to sweep, and then I like Region 3 to sweep next week no matter who they play. This is only my two cents, it does not conflict with anything I have said previous. And goaggies, I realize post season stats could be one thing. But Boston, outplayed everyone in the playoffs, but you are right, players did show up. I agree with that.

• Rudy44 Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 9:59 a.m.

The Highland/Syracuse game may be the best game to look at when comparing Region 1 and Region 4. Highland won that game 7-3 over the Region 4 champs. Defense won the day in that one. Syracuse beat Highland 17-14. Good defense negated good offense in that one.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 9:17 a.m.

Defensive End, you make a great point i was telling someone yesterday. IF you look at Mr Fonua and his out put its pretty decieving. He has rushed for 500 plus yards and has 12 touchdown. That is being very efficient when you have the ball. Thats just running the ball. I didnt look at his recieving yards and touchdowns. I know people are going to say we use him on short yardage situations and thats just not the case. You have other runningbacks with 1400 yards and the same 12 rushing touchdowns. Your right about Kole sharing the ball to all his recievers. Should be fun today. Go "Cuse".

• Defensive end Clearfield, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 8:19 a.m.

Pig Skin and Utah Bruin. There you go with your meaningless stats again. The Syracuse first team defense has given up less that half of those points the rest have come against the second team, by special teams,or defensive touchdowns by the other team. Pig Skin your stats for total yards at each position are meaningless. All they show for Lone Peak is that they have a good QB and A really good receiver. Syracuse stats show they share the ball and they have had a lot of short fields because of defense and field postion. I am really looking forward to see how today plays out in all four Region 1 v. Region 4 games.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 8:37 p.m.

No Boston as ateam was only hitting 214 last night. Re watch the game. They even showed how bad Boston was hitting for the ALCS and series. What I was trying to point out was key guys got key hits when they needed it. I know you watched the game and saw the stats for yourself. Trust me Im a Sox fan and s I waited for their bats to unload. Keys hits by key hitters.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 7:25 p.m.

@liff

Obviously the memory us not all that good. I picked Cuse last year to beat Alta, it was the guy I was chatting with that had the brother to play at UCLA. I an a UCLA fan, but I picked Cuse to play for the title last year. Thanks for trying though

And GoAggie, I will take Reguon 4 as I said this year. It was fun watching the jumble in Refion 4 this year. I will take that rather than playing a bunch of cupcakes. Your right though, yiu play the teams on your schedule. That is where the statements are made. Fuse didn't make any this year in my opinion. And Boston had the best post season BA so I don't know what you are talking about.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 5:49 p.m.

UtahBruin,

I total agree with you, but don't waist you time and knowledge. Let Cuse fans keep drinking that Titan cool aid, reality will set in like last year then they will awake from their dream.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 4:49 p.m.

Bruin, that's ok you not sure who to pull for while region 4 teams are playing. It was kinda a cluster wasn't it. Nobody could find an Identity down there. Just flip the coin dude. One thing about the Cuse they are consistent. We just play who is ever scheduled. Sorry we cant play region 4 every week and you could play region 1. That's the breaks man. Goodluck with the jumbled region down there.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 4:38 p.m.

Gentleman, Boston was great during the regular season but when they got in the playoffs and the AlDS and series tell me what their batting averages where? As a team they were batting 214 but my point was when they needed big hits guys stepped up and came through. My point is Cuse has players and they all step up when needed. I said this years team is also different from last years team. I did not compare the two teams. Tell me who Lone Peak has beat this year? I don't think region 4 sweeps. Maybe your UCLA Bruins hen they came to SLC but region 1 will NOT be swept. Right it down region 4 has nothing one region 1.

• liff Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 3:59 p.m.

Same Utahbruin different year.
    Promised Alta win last year. My brother is the best receiver. No way you can win. My brother going to catch passes at UCLA. Yada, yada, yada. Wrong about everything. Hopefully he is doing good at Hawaii. He is a great receiver though, no doubt about that. I think the only problem you have with Syracuse is that Alta can't beat them.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 3:40 p.m.

@goaggies1

Talk about fishing in the wrong hole.

You just told me earlier that this years team doesn't need last years team, yet your recent post is defending this years team by last years play. Go figure.

As for your claim to Boston, you say "If you look at stats and look at their batting Boston stunk"

Boston Stats:

Runs 853 - 1st Overall
    Batting Avg. .277 - 2nd Overall
    OBP (On Base percentage) .349 - 1st Overall
    Slugging Percentage .446 - 1st Overall
    ERA - 3.79 - 14th Overall
    WHIP (Walks Hits Innings Pitched) 1.3 - 15th Overall
    Opponents Batting Avg. -.248 - 10th Overall

There are 30 teams in major league baseball, and you say they totally stunk, and you reference their batting, they were the best in the batting statistics.

"Players play", of course they do or we wouldn't have a game. Cuse just hasn't played anyone reputible. Lone Peak has and beat some of them. Cuse loses, and so does all of Region 1.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 3:28 p.m.

Cuse doesn't need last years team. That is all you have this year. Your touting the Cuse Defensive ranking this year. C'mon...

Fremont 1-9 - Averaged 14 points a game, you gave up 14
    Weber 5-5 - 2-4 In your region, only wins against the bottom two in your region
    Viewmont - 1-9, you shut them out, and they scored 7 points all year in region play
    Layton - 4-6, Best win all year
    N.Ridge - 4-5, gave up 27 to a team that avgs 27
    Davis - 9-0, best team in your region supposedly, gave up 21
    Highland - #3 4A team, gave up 14 to a team that avg 21
    B. Elder - #3 4A team, First game of the season, Final 16-7, wow impressive
    Mt. Crest - 4A team, 2-8, averaged 17 this year, you gave up 14

Lone Peak averages 26 against opponents who finished 54-42 .777 win percentage to your Titans who's opponents finished 39-49 .256 win percentage.

I don't care about the Titan so called defense, LP wins this one.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 2:57 p.m.

PigSkin, I will finally listen to you. So having a horse in the race Imbeat seeing too much navy blue then? Parry actually picked Cuse to win by 3. Lone Peak is the underdog. Now tell me how to coach a bunch of kids last year out playing a junior college team. Help me with that. Nobody in the state could keep up with Jordan's recruited team except someone from Cali. Really PigSkin the coaches were asking what do you do. No man, I bet that's what they were thinking. Knowing these coaches they tried different things and it didn't work plain and simple. So if they were that bad how did they beat a great Alta team that had a lot of talent on their team and a Bingham team with out their starting QB. Did I hear you say dumb luck. Now your fishing in the wrong hole. So did Boston just luck into winning the series then? By your logic yes they did. If you look at stats and look at their batting Boston stunk. But the boys came to play when they needed too. Tell Boston they have dumb luck. Players play.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 1:40 p.m.

goaggies1

Don't blame me if Parry's Power Guide picked Lone Peak to win, they have a non objective oppinion reviewing all the facts. I can see it also looking at the stats this year. The game might have a different result, but I did not see any adjustment when Cuse when down in the Davis game. Cuse will be down in the playoff, and the "O" and "D" coaches and players will not know how to adjust and win a tight or come from behind game. Just like Jordon last year, "What should we do?". That is what all the Coaches were saying to each other on the sideline.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 1:05 p.m.

PigSkin, how can Lone Peak be both underdog and favorite to with in Parry's Guide. Did you stuff the ballot box? On the thread of Syracuse and Lone Peak game it has Syracuse favored by three. Is Lone Peak playing Lone Peak? I hope they beat themselves. Onward and upward my friend.

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 12:23 p.m.

Syracuse 35 Lone Peak 34

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 11:57 a.m.

Its called we have a good defense PigSkin. You just cant face facts can ya. You can pull everything out right now. Cuse wins by 14. Im glad your a region 3 rodie.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 11:25 a.m.

Parry's Power Guide has Lone Peak winning the game. Parry has not been wrong about Cuse yet this year. Bad news for Cuse.

Next year will be much harder losing the rest of your Dfense Line. Good luck trying to rebuild.

• Rudy44 Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 10:54 a.m.

Syracuse by 7

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 10:48 a.m.

goaggies1

Here is just the top QB, Runner, and WR comparison for Loan Peak vs Cuse

QB --- Lone Peak 184 yds per game vs Cuse 140 ypg
    Runner --- Lone Peak 131 yds per game vs Cuse 72 ypg
    WR --- Lone Peak 65 yds per game vs Cuse 44 ypg

If this is Peaking at the right time, the Magic will end tomorrow. 2nd best Dfense in 5A against a weak Region 1 schedule, and Weak nonregion schedule; one team not in the playoff and two 4A #3's teams.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 10:14 a.m.

Cuse doesn't need the respect from lasts year team my friends. This is a different team and different year. Last years team was good, this years team is good as well. This team is starting to peak at the right time just in time for the playoffs. O by the way, Cuse defense ranked 2nd in 5A. Cant be that bad boys. We are ready to kick the door down!!! Go "Cuse". Magic happen's.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 10:06 a.m.

I agree with Pig Skin. If Cuse can keep this low scoring they will have the advantage. Having seen both schools play. I just think LP is the superior team. I was on the Cuse band wagon last year when they went into the playoffs. It was a shame their QB went down. This year, I think Cuse is receiving the respect they deserve but mainly based on last years team. Don't get me wrong LP is beatable, but I like LP to win and Region 4 to sweep Region 1 and Region 3 to decimate Region 2.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 8:58 a.m.

Guess what PigSkin, he wont play QB at USU. He is a safety, LB. He has got the speed but not QB material. Nick Vigil was and awesome runningback in high school but when he hit USU they made him a LB. He is a great talent at LB. Baron is good but I would take you to lunch if he plays QB. He is an athlete and they could use him in a lot of different positions. Go Ag's!!!!!

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 8:26 a.m.

I hope the Cuse can slow down the Lone Peak QB and Receiver putting up huge numbers for the last two years. Utah State does not recruit just any old QB, he must be Special. He is the only D1 QB Offered in Utah for the 2014 class. Is this on TV or The Web? If this is going to be a shot out Cuse loses. If it is low scoring Cuse has the advantage.