Sports

High school football: All 6 classifications feature uncertainty heading into playoffs

Comments

• The Official Bingham Canyon, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 9:59 a.m.

@ Ut Spartan Fan

You are full of mis-information, there is no way I can respond to your post in 200 words or less.
    Skaggs Catholic Center does not turn away anyone who wants to attend the elementary, middle, or high school because they cannot afford tuition. The Skaggs family has set aside tuition assistance for anyone who cant afford it. Even public schools have assistance to help pay for programs that families cant afford.
    There are no boundries to attend most of the schools in Utah, its open enrollment, and it provides a parents choice to have their child attend the school they feel is best for their situation.
    The Coaches at JD, Judge are part of the staff of the school, John Colosimo is the asst, principle at JD, and they are paid less that their counter parts of a public school. At Judge, Luther Ellis played at U of U,Detroit Lions is an asst. coach, has a son who plays at Judge.
    Learn the Facts about private schools, The performance in the class room directly reflects the student body, and their performance outside of the classroom. solutions are better than excuses, quit making excuses.

• Ut Spartan Fan countryboy, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 9:01 a.m.

@ the official
    So are these athletes that are enrolled in Juan Diego and Judge paying for their tuition to said schools? Or is it a scholarship? Do they live in a certain boundary like the rest of the state? No they don't win every year, but two state championships in the last 5 years with another coming this year aint that bad for Juan DIego. Judge wasn't able to compete in the higher ranks so throw them a bone and put them in with small 3a and 2a teams.
    It has nothing to do with heart of the players, and yeah when you have coaches that are being payed by the school to be a coach not for being a volunteer you will be better in the coaching end of things. I believe one of the coaches for Judge was in the NFL correct. Their is no excuse for my teams performance. They play hard every year and make the playoffs to be trounced by some school that many of their players are already committed to a University. JUST SAYIN...

• The Official Bingham Canyon, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 12:12 a.m.

@ Ut Spartan Fan
    Recruiting is a violation of the UHSAA and teams and players are penalized for recruiting. Who has been recruited by Juan Diego or Judge? I am very familiar with both schools, UHSAA rules, and coaches of both teams, and I can say they do not recruit "every kid on their team". Open enrolment is part of a parents choice to have their kids attend the school of their choice. The choice of attending a private school is personnel and is not driven by athletics. Religious reasons, history of academic performance, small class sizes, required parent involvement...
    Also, your argument looses credibility because these two schools do not win state in every sport. Based on your logic, Wasatch, Delta, Morgan, St. George schools have a huge advantage because they win in their respective sports. but you don't notice that, It seems to me that you just provide excuses why your team does not preform well. Teams that win are well coached have heart and desire to compete, parent involvement, and perhaps most of all is how well the team mates perform overall in the class room is reflective to how they do on the field.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 8:31 p.m.

Region 1 and done! Region 2 and through!

• johnny pigskin Sandy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 3:58 p.m.

Benzo, I hope you are correct. I think Herriman plays the run well, not so much the pass? Brighton can run it, no doubt! But can they pass it enough to beat some of these other top teams?? Just a thought? By the way I have been gone from the area and just came back, go back a few years and Johnny Pigskin was on these blogs. No disrespect to Pig Skin, seems to know his stuff.

• JD-Dad RIVERTON, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 9:28 p.m.

@wolvie23 I'd put my cheerleader up against you any day of the week. For that matter, I'd put my middle school cheerleader up against you any day. You clearly have know idea how hard cheer is these days. I do think East will role thru the competition. JD and Riverton will have to play better than they have to take state. Not sure about Riverton but JD is very capable.

@Ut Spartan Fan You're so right. JD and JM get all the best athletes. I am surprised that Alta, Bingham, East, have any athletes at all. In fact, I'm packing my bags now for a recruiting trip to Texas. It can be a little tough getting parent's to move to Utah when we tell them their 8th grader has a real shot at the big time. Then there is getting the family employed here. But we have a great relocation package and the sign on bonus really sweetens the deal.

• razorback South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 6:08 p.m.

I like the chances for both Bingham and East. They both have to earn it. Opponents will not roll over and die. But they are favorites for very good reasons.

• razorback South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 6:05 p.m.

Benzo,

Who cares about the success rate of pre-season favorites when we have a completed regular season. You are looking at a worthless "historical" benchmark. What is meaningful now is to look at the success rate for teams that go undefeated (against Utah competition) during the regular season and go into the playoffs as favorites.

I can't speak for 4A but for 5A I have pointed out before and reiterate the same point raised by Binghamalum. In six of the last seven years, the title was won by a team coming out of the regular season undefeated versus Utah competition. Those teams were the "post regular season favorites". That's a relevant historical benchmark.

If you are a big fan of history, please note that the success rate for 5-5 regular season teams getting to RES for 5A is extremely slim. Yet you ignore that statistically significant historical data when you boldly predict Herriman will get to the semis.

The only history you should be interested in is the 5-5 Skyline team that went on to win the 2005 state title. Hope is a wonderful thing, but please don't put any money on it.

• FaLlOuTboYz Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 5:21 p.m.

@BigBenzo88

I dont believe you have seen east play this year, going off that notions you should see that they are on a whole nother level. not saying that it wont take a decent game plan to get past Logan and a timpview but vatsity experience, and the chip on the shoulder from last couple years i think they will get 'er done this year. and to say you only hear about east and bingham, is a little far fetched due to the fact that east hasnt been dominant like this prior to the 4 years Coach Matich has been at east. good luck to everyone

• BoSox4 St. George, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 3:52 p.m.

5A will pit Bingham vs. Alta in a rematch which I think Bingham wins it big this time around, and Jordan vs. Brighton rematch which is really a toss up (yes an all region 3 Semi-final). Bingham will then go on to roll Brighton/Jordan by 14+ in the championship

4A will come down to East vs. Logan and I think East will win big (just look at their common opponent bountiful), and Timpview vs. Woods Cross and I think Timpview will win barely (based on WX's recent tear and only loss coming to a good East team on the hill). Then from there it is a toss up between Timpview and East but I think it is probably East's year.

3AA Desert Hills over Juan Diego

3A Judge over Morgan

2A South Summit over North Summitt (Just a guess as I have not seen either of these teams play)

1A Duchesne over Kanab (Once again just a pure guess)

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 3:30 p.m.

And again you're wrong. I coached 2 of the kids who made the team as 9th graders, and both have championship rings! Did they start or even play as 9th graders? No. But fact remains they dressed for the varsity squad, and received rings. And no it still won't end my slander. You should be proud if your Mustangs make the 2nd round. Because really that's about the level they should make it to based on the talent on that team.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 3:10 p.m.

@Gunner - I want to know what it means in your words. Just so that we are clear...a Herriman win or a Herriman loss by 20 points or less will end your slander towards the Mustangs. In regards to Bingham players holding championship rings: Just to give some disclosure...I have two nephews that play for Bingham now and had a nephew that played on the 2010 championship team who now playing for Nebraska. I remember that team very well and don't remember any of this years seniors playing on that team. Since 2011 (since that is when most of these seniors starting playing) every year...all I have heard is Bingham and East. I agree...I too have screamed that Herriman would make noise in the playoffs...but the fact remains...Herriman seniors, Bingham seniors and East seniors all have the same amount of championship rings on the fingers...zero.

• Ut Spartan Fan countryboy, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 1:48 p.m.

This year there will be two 3A trophies handed out — big school and small school — and Catholic schools are favored to win both. Last year Timpview was in trouble for bringing in a couple of kids to play on their team. They ended up having to forfeit a couple of games that they had already won, yet Juan Diego and Judge Memorial get to recruit every kid on their team, and it is supposedly fair. They play with huge advantages over the smaller schools in their regions. For example Judge Memorial is a 4a school in every sport other than football. Yet they are in a region with schools like Manti, Emery, and Richfield. These schools are in 2a in all other sports. Why does Judge bypass the 3aa division altogether? On top of this they can recruit against these schools that barely field a team. I like the new 3a division. I just feel that if you are a private school you should have to compete against teams your own strength. This being said good luck to all this weekend.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 12:12 p.m.

You're also wrong Benzo on the comment of "nobody on Bingham holds a ring" There are several kids who made that team in 2010 as 9th graders that have championship rings.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 11:59 a.m.

Benzo: What don't you understand about the term "roll"? As in Brighton wins by 21 pts. Again, love your dedication, but each year it's the same thing with you. "Herriman has a great chance of taking state this year" Sorry bud, but no they don't. They couldn't beat PG when the outright region title was on the line. They don't have the talent. And yes I know, they made the playoffs as a first year school. 3 years ago!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2013 11:28 a.m.

@Pig Skin Fan
    Coach Peck is being honest not just spewing coach talk. If you knew him like I have for over 10 years now you'ld know he never thinks his team will steamroll everyone in the playoffs. Every year I ask him how his team looks for the upcoming season and he always gives me honest straightforward answers, he said this year that his QB could be an all state QB and that's exactly what its looking like. Bingham will make the finals and hopefully win state but you still have to play the games. Cannot wait for tomorrow!!! Go MINERS

• ScoobyDoo monticello, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 11:07 a.m.

Mokie I agree SSummit wins it but I will bet on grand as the opponent. Grand was beating beaver in beaver when they loss the QB. They loss but he is back and I think they will beat north summit.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 10:09 a.m.

I disagree with this article. Two teams for "Certain".

Bingham, Coach Peck is being too Humble or Politically Correct in the Article
    East, They knows from Coaches, Players, and Fans it their Year!!!

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 9:25 a.m.

@Gunner - For the record, just so I know, what does "Brighton rolls Herriman" mean. I am predicting a Herriman win for that game...but will say its possible they lose...however, if Herriman loses...it will be a close game that won't be decided until the 4th quarter and will be decided by 13 points or less.

@binghamalum - I am referring to the 2011, 2012 and 2013 seasons. At the beginning of each of those years....Bingham and East have been the preseason favorites to win the championship...and again...the same prediction has taken place this year. No one on Bingham or East is holding a championship ring. However, Logan's seniors are holding a ring and most of Timpview's team are holding rings. East will have to beat the past two reining champions to get their ring...and I'm not sure if they can do it.

• Mokie Podunk, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 8:13 a.m.

As a fan of the little guys, the 2A tourney is of interest to me. I was shocked at a few of the upsets that happened last week with Parowan and South Sevier heading on the road and beating favored teams. The other two games were pretty easy to figure with San Juan at home against Summit and Gunnison throwing all over the field on Enterprise. With those games in the past now, looking forward, I don't see any favored teams losing this weekend. I expect to see a N.Summit/Grand and Beaver/S.Summit semis. Unfortunately, the Beaver/S.Summit game should be the title game, but with N.Summit pulling the upset a few weeks back, it changed things up a bit. Good luck to all the smaller schools. My Pick: South Summit Wins Title!

• SCCougar LEXINGTON, SC
    Oct. 31, 2013 7:52 a.m.

Don't look past the Orem Tigers...well on 2nd thought go ahead and look past them. How long has it been since a .500 team went the distance? This could be the year. They are coming together at just the right time. Their QB is now well seasoned and look out for that tall, fast receiver they have. He's scary good with deceptive speed. Would love to see coach Anderson take his team to the championships just like he did 26 years ago! Go Tigers!

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 11:52 p.m.

Bigbenzo

If history is any education.. You'll notice this....
    2012 jordan 13-1 lost to Cali team was picked to win
    2011 LP 14-0 same prediction
    2010, 2009 Bingham lost 1 time in Texas they were easily favorite
    2008 alta 14-1 lost in Cali only
    2007 alta 13-1 lost to Bingham only
    2006 Bingham 14-0

I'd say Bingham and east/Logan are very good picks

But agree with coach peck after round one it's going to be earned this year!

I think east vs Logan will be 66 to 55 I can't wait to see that!

Bingham vs rIverton
    Alta vs syracuse
    Davis vs Jordan
    Herriman Brighton
    Game on!

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 11:06 p.m.

Brighton rolls Herriman.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 10:28 p.m.

t-birds win,

You are correct, a lot has changed since that first game. SV was playing without 2 of their best players, who have since returned. Hopefully there will be a rematch.

• Eagle78 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 10:08 p.m.

I would never discount Timpview. I do believe this is East's year, but Timpview's record speaks for itself. If anyone could snatch the title out from you it would be the Thunderbirds.

Either way it is going to be a fun few weeks.

• T-birds to win Provo / Utah, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 9:10 p.m.

Sports Nutz, A lot has happened since the first game of the season, Timpview changed their quarterback after the Pleasant Grove game. Maybe you remember him, he returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown, and then scored 3 more touchdowns as a receiver against Sky View. I do expect that both Timpview ,and Sky View will win this Friday and meet next week for a rematch. Good luck on Friday.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 8:47 p.m.

Like Eagle78 I will say I don't know much about 3AA, 3A, 2A or 1A. Unlike Eagle78, I believe there is a lot of uncertainty in 5A and 4A...but most people can't see. If history is any indicator...there is no reason to believe that Bingham or East will win championships this year.

In 4A...I am putting my money on Logan.

In 5A...I agree that its Bingham's championship to lose...and I think its extremely possible for that to happen. Comments that Region 3 and Bingham will own the playoffs is a bit off...look for Region 4 to make its presence known. Games of note in 5A are:

Round 1:
    Pleasant Grove at Davis
    Lone Peak at Syracuse

Quarterfinals:
    Brighton at Herriman
    Pleasant Grove at Jordan / Jordan at Davis
    Alta at Syracuse/Lone Peak

The semifinals will not be an all Region 3 event...Bingham may be the only Region 3 team.

• Eagle78 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 7:09 p.m.

I really don't think there is much uncertainty in 5A or 4A this year. I don't follow the lower divisions so I can't say for sure. East and Bingham are the clear favorites to win this year though.

Bingham's last game did call into question how easy that victory will be though. I can understand why Coach Peck is drilling into his boys that they have to play 110% from the first kick off. Slacking off because you think the win will be easy is a great way to watch the rest of the play offs from your couch. :)

• wolvie23 Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 6:47 p.m.

Kipp are those your picks for football or for the cheerleading competition?

• Kipp Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 6:23 p.m.

My picks:

Riverton, East, and Juan Diego

• Frankenberry Saint George, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 6:13 p.m.

Ah, the playoffs. During the season you can laugh and win in your region; and have everybody from the Golden Spike to the San Juan tickled pink with the way you're carrying on. But now they've taken away the net. Nobody owes you a tomorrow in the tournament. You went 7 and 2 and you're healthy. But make one mistake. Leave too many 3rd downs on the field at Kanab; mishandle a punt in a fine, freezing rain in Logan; or let that fast kid from East get behind you and turn you around on an out and up and they'll put a fork in you fellas, 'cause you'll be done. Good luck to all the playoff teams.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 5:58 p.m.

Timpview was lucky to beat Sky View in week 1 thanks to a missed TD call on 3rd down late in the game. East walks to the Championship.