Family

Woman plans to hand out obesity letters to trick-or-treaters this Halloween

Comments

• Maudine SLC, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 2:42 p.m.

@ Mukkake: No one is saying the woman doesn't have the right to hand out the letters - we are just saying she is a total jerk for doing so.

And she should publish her address so people can choose not to go there.

• Mukkake Montreal, 00
    Nov. 1, 2013 9:26 a.m.

This woman is completely within her right to do this. People are coming to her door asking for handouts, and it's her right to decide what "treat" she gets to put in their bag. Nothing illegal about what she's doing.

If you don't want her comments, don't go to her house.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2013 8:22 p.m.

You want to comment on my life? Great. Which of my bills will you be paying this month?

• Longhorns Henderson, NV
    Oct. 31, 2013 5:04 p.m.

So, this Cherly woman is saying she's not going to punish these kids? That is hilarious. If this chick tried to punish my child, she would have much bigger issues than obesity to worry about. Funny how she feels brave enough to give her "opinion" to parents but can't give out her full name and address.

• dscarchick Sacramento, CA
    Oct. 31, 2013 5:01 p.m.

Why is she picking on Halloween? Almost every holiday involves candy. What's next? A glucose test for Santa Claus? Diet pills for the Easter Bunny? Sheesh....

• dscarchick Sacramento, CA
    Oct. 31, 2013 4:45 p.m.

I agree with what mostly everyone is saying here. Is there a problem with obesity in America today? Yes. Is it a strangers job to remind parents of that or tell them what they should allow their children to eat? Absolutely not. Apparently she doesn't know that not all overweight children got that way via bad eating habits. My 11 year old niece for example, has a thyroid issue and she's been active in gymnastics for years and rarely eats fried fatty foods. Excessive candy is bad for ALL kids. It is only the parents business on how much/when they allow the children to consume all these goodies. It's very sad that these children will be emotionally dinged on a night they're supposed to be having fun. She's going to tick off a lot of parents tonight. I just hope she's ready to deal with all the negative feedback...

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 3:26 p.m.

the sheer arrogance that this women shows is astounding. when did i become your right to comment on my life?

• utah cornhusker NORFOLK, NE
    Oct. 31, 2013 3:12 p.m.

Most parents are aware if their child has a weight problem. I have fought it the majority of my life. I would totally break down in tears if I was a kid and given that letter. What makes her think she has the right to do that? She doesn't know if perhaps the weight problem is due to other factors eg genetic problems, meds. I'm sure all parents know if their child has a weight problem and would want the best for them and don't need to be reminded. If she wants to promote healthy lifestyle give them apples and not a letter that would be more of an embarrassment and heartache for the child. Interesting that if she is so concerned, she is not giving her name.

• terra nova Park City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 1:39 p.m.

She's been this way since the house landed on her sister.

• ipr Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 11:11 a.m.

Three day after her kidney transplant my daughter ballooned. She went from being extremely underweight to looking overweight, especially in her face and belly. If anyone would treat my daughter that way, I would have a hard time staying polite!

• raybies Layton, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 10:58 a.m.

This is the reason why all trick or treaters should not leave home without a two-year old carton of a dozen AA grade eggs.

• Z South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 9:46 a.m.

And we wonder why our young women have body issues. Shame on you.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 9:27 a.m.

Not saying I agree with what she's doing, but parents do need to be doing a better job. Considering more children/people are obese today than any other time, doing nothing obviously isn't the right answer. And yes, peoples obesity does impact all of us through much higher health costs.

• mikenole Tallahassee, FL
    Oct. 31, 2013 9:07 a.m.

I wonder how many fat kids are going to egg this lady's house tonight? I know I would if I got a fat letter from her.

• Dante Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 8:47 a.m.

This woman supposes she is extremely insightful and aware. She knows better than others how others should conduct their lives. She is taking it upon herself to tell them how to conform to her ideal. She would fit right in with the Obama administration.

• Laura M. Warburton Huntsville, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 8:27 a.m.

Shameful. I hope she changes her mind. She will not help a single soul this way. She will cause emotional damage that will take time to overcome. Beyond that, how can she tell who is really overweight or not?

If I were a parent in that area, I would be at the doorstep with my children. The minute I saw a letter come out, I would refuse it. I simply wouldn't allow this to happen to my child.

My children are probably underweight and yet they still worry about weight. We place far too much emphasis on children's weight. In some cases, yes, it's a concern but certainly it's not the job of a neighbor to hand out letters to address it!

Let her hand out healthy snacks to EVERYONE. Problem solved with no shaming of anyone.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Oct. 31, 2013 7:07 a.m.

Is she likewise going to check their teeth for cavities, and send a letter home that candy leads to poor dental health?

Is she likewise going to do blood tests for diabetes, and send letters home about hypoglycemia?

Is she a doctor? Or just a judgmental busybody? Mote / beam anyone?

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 7:00 a.m.

If it happened in my neighborhood when I was a kid her house would have been egged, toilet papered, and confetti thrown inside the door whenever she answered it. She thinks parents are irresponsible but she is being unreasonable about how she goes about her crusade. Parents should picket her house on Halloween and present any children from going there. This woman will do more harm to the children's self esteem that she will do good to their eating habits.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 5:48 a.m.

I don't want any one to be sad. I love the smiles I see, I like to smile back.

• aceroinox Farmington, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 12:05 a.m.

So, by handing letters only to the ones she judges to be obese, isn't condoning candy for the rest. Candy isn't good for any child, and can be just as damaging to a non-obese child, as an obese one. She hasn't really thought this through very carefully, from either a physical or mental health perspective, not to mention overstepping her bounds as a neighbor.

Find another cause!

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2013 12:02 a.m.

I'm sure the parents are completely unaware of their children's health issues and need this stranger to draw their attention to it - not!

• On the other hand Riverdale, MD
    Oct. 30, 2013 10:32 p.m.

Obesity is a real issue in our society today. Passing out condescending letters on Halloween may not be the best way to address it.

• crazladie Draper, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 10:22 p.m.

I am always amazed at individuals who do not know anything about a person, and yet deem themselves able and responsible to give out unsolicited personal advice!!! you are CLUELESS, and yes, a bad guy! Live your own life! (and get one too!)! Soooooo sad!!!

• Spellman789 Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 9:45 p.m.

I can only imagine what effect this would have on the children she decided in her "opinion" were moderately or obese. Some people are obese, or even have eating disorders as a symptom of something deeper - like emotional issues of people not accepting them for who they are. While she may think she has good intentions, I find it astonishing that she believes she has any place to give advice to parents on such an issue that can be very personal. Definitely see this blowing up in her face. If you don't want to be viewed as the bad guy, newsflash, then don't be the bad guy!

• Danny Chipman Lehi, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 9:14 p.m.

Yeesh. Skipping this house. Find some joie d'vivre, lady.

• Anonyme Orem, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 9:08 p.m.

Treaters, not treators.

• Why would I? Farmington, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 6:44 p.m.

Why would I not be surprised to see someone use Halloween as a venue for their own political interest and then have the media pick up on it in such a manner?

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 3:57 p.m.

I did not notice on the note she is handing out where she placed her name, address and a phone # where the parents could talk to her about the "concerns" she has about their kids. Maybe instead of giving the note to the kids why doesn't she write down where the overweight children live and go pay a visit to the parents in person?

I am extremely obese. I am here to tell you there is a ever growing segment of this country who believe obese people are second class citizens. It's amazing what people say and how they act around obese people. When they do it to me I have no problem putting them in their place. It's hilarious to see the look on their faces when I stand up to them. Most of the time they can't believe it and they pipe down. All I can say to the haters is this, if you think obese people are weak and lazy then I invite any of you to strap 250 pounds on your back and come do what I do in a day. We will see who is weak and lazy then.