Utah

Davis High teacher arrested in sex with student case

Comments

• Don37 Nottingham, MD
    Dec. 3, 2013 8:53 a.m.

If you want to quibble about 17, change the age to 16, then to 15, 14, 13, 12, down to the preschool age of those whose parents enter them into contests dressed as 20 year olds.
    The law is there, the teacher should have known it, also the 17 year old if you want to call him a perpetrator of this offense should have known about the law if in your mind he is adult enough.
    Those, including youth leaders who have some control over a situation need to be held to the highest of standards.
    My only question is keeping the teacher on the payroll. I would have held that she be suspended without pay and back pay granted if she is found innocent.

• vidottsen Payson, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 1:12 p.m.

Whether male or female, a 17 yr old is a victim, still trying to learn right from wrong and subject to seduction. As a former teacher, I understand the temptation, but it is a wrong and selfish thing to do. There are other ways of getting one's desires fulfilled, especially legal ones. Leave the innocent, easily-persuaded pool of children alone.

• gmk17of TX Arlington, TX
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:13 a.m.

This girl is beautiful. Could she really not find a man instead of a boy?

• blanketpillow orem, UT
    Nov. 5, 2013 10:21 a.m.

Wow, are we really having a conversation about weather or not this was legal or morally right?
    If the genders were reversed people would be rallying against the teacher, most likely angry enough to burn him at the stake. This argument is ridiculous, I wouldn't want any teenage child of mine sleeping with anyone, let alone a teacher, a person in a position of power that should respect the relationship of teacher and student regardless of gender.

Excuse me while I vomit.

• df3 surrey, 00
    Nov. 4, 2013 11:01 a.m.

To SRNA:

Other articles I have read on this teacher suggest she started manipulating him at 15 which DOES make him a victim. " apologizing to this teacher for potentially ruining her life" Are you insane?? I think you made that statement because the teacher is female. If it were the other way around and the male was the teacher would you be making the same statement...i'm guessing not.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 9:50 a.m.

What happened to "control" over our feelings. If they are not mature or strong enough to use control they should not be teaching our children, grandchildren or great grandchildren. It is appalling and it affects their lives forever. I hope this goes on her record and she is never able to teach children again.

• JayTee Sandy, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 3:16 p.m.

In our sexually-obsessed society, we have different rules for "sex offenses" than for other things. Why are there no registries for burglars, shoplifters, embezzlers, robbers, car thieves, wife beaters . . . or even murderers? Are not some of these crimes things that maybe potential victims should be advised about? And with regard to the registries, don't legislators and other zealots realize that criminals and "offenders" have legs and wheels, and can move all over the place to do whatever it is that they do? And why do registries put all "offenders" in roughly the same category, whether those offenses involve violent rapes, age-difference violations, public urination, public nudity, or whatever? And why are most of the "offenders" in these cases deemed to basically be deemed guilty until proven innocent, with no way to prove innocence? More evidence that we have very screwed-up legal, criminal, "correction," and criminal "justice" systems.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 9:15 a.m.

"But while incidents like Altice's arrest cause everyone concern, Williams doesn't know if it calls for any additional training of teachers. He said not having relationships or abusing students isn't something that should have to be taught.

"This is common sense stuff," he said. "I don't think we necessarily have to hold any special training. This is common sense."

Apparently not. Read this thread. Not a lot of "common sense" on here.

Look at the number who are being caught. Multiply that by 10 or 20 or 50 or 100 for those who aren't.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Oct. 30, 2013 7:05 p.m.

The teacher should be fired but felony charges are over the top.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Oct. 30, 2013 3:02 p.m.

cjb
    MapleDon
    others...

Fine shoot the messenger.

I simply stated "the law" -- not religous or moral codes.
    Precisely how Judges and Lawyers are going to look at it and pass judgement.

It doesn't really matter how YOU feel about it,
    It doesn't matter who seduced who,
    It doesn't matter what religion you do or do not beling to or believe in,
    It doesn't matter if some people mature faster or slower than others,
    The law is the law.

That is the law, period.

If you don't like it, change "the law".
    If you want it to changed to mean anyone who "looks" like an adult regardless of age is an adult -- change the law.
    If you want it to changed to mean anyone who is "smart" like an adult regardless of age is an adult -- change the law.
    If you want it to changed to mean anyone who "acts" like an adult regardless of age is an adult -- change the law.

But we are society based on law and order, not touchy feely opinions.
    And the law defines it as 18 for everybody.

BTW - sex with a minor, whether forced or consensual is "legally" statutory rape.

• RedShirtMIT Cambridge, MA
    Oct. 30, 2013 12:02 p.m.

To "cjb" and "airnaut" the boy, or any minor that has sex with an adult typically is "groomed". That means that the child doesn't just decide to have sex one day with the adult. Usually the adult slowly breaks down the child's inhibitions, then has sex, then uses manipulation to keep the relationship secret. There is a level of mental abuse akin to many abusive marriages.

Do you think that it is ok for an adult to have sex with your teen age child? Even if your child wants it?

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 9:03 a.m.

Would agree with FAYM.. But just the thought of spending 20-30 years in prison should be a deterant. Is it really worth it to cross the line??

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 8:47 a.m.

Veritas Aequitas: ...Not "teachers", but "teacher". While agree with the majority of you post, you are in error because 5 seperate teachers and cases were mentioned in the article. therefore the previous poster that used the term "teachers" as in plural, was correct. That does in no way denigrate the marvelous work that the vast majority of teachers do in serving the children of the world.

• Kay Hunt Celebration, FL
    Oct. 30, 2013 8:13 a.m.

If this was a girl and an older man teacher would some of you think of this differently? The teacher has the power as she was in a position of authority. He is 17 now but it appears to have started when he was 16. What is the age of consent in Utah? Is it 18? Statutory Rape I believe comes in when there is an age difference of at least on of the individuals being under 18. I think 34 and 17 is a big enough age difference. But if I was on the jury I would want a lot more information.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 6:47 a.m.

re airnaut

I take it you consider him a victim.

It is possible to have a violation of the law without there being any victim is it not? That being the case the metaphor doesn't apply.

I suppose this is one of those situation, where if you need it to be explained, you really don't get and probably won't. I suppose these things are innate. You either get it or you don't.

• wazzup Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 6:34 a.m.

After ADMITTING she had sex with the student, she is put on administrative leave, with pay? That is ridiculous!

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Oct. 30, 2013 4:21 a.m.

This was amazingly horrible judgement on the part of this teacher -- especially with so many similar cases in the news. At a minimum, she should have known that once the fun was over, he would get angry and turn her in.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 11:02 p.m.

She's pretty. I can see how a 17 year old could have a crush on her.

I agree with cjb. I have a hard time accepting the "victim" excuse when someone is a willing player in a sexual relationship. One time could be justified as a victim. Seven times? Give me a break.

Some of you, like airnut, have a bizarre hangup with the specifics of law. I understand the law. It's intent is to protect minors. However, a 17 year old is just as capable of seducing and "adult" as an 18 year old. Semantics and behavior always should be considered in such matters.

• FAYM Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 6:10 p.m.

As a teacher of 26 years, (in Davis District), I can't even imagine how these teachers arrive at the mindset that these actions are somehow okay.

I have thought of every one of my students, throughout the years, as very similar to how I think of my own children. That line ABSOLUTELY should never be crossed.

Even when former students of mine look me up on Facebook just to update me on how they are doing or to stay in touch... it doesn't matter if they are 9, 15, 18, 20, or even 30 (or beyond)... there is still that teacher-student relationship that holds on very strongly. Crossing the line into inappropriate conversations or actions, or even inappropriate emails makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Every teacher should remember what it was like to be a student and have had those teachers/ mentors in their own life. To have someone in that position cross over into your life in inappropriate ways is just sick.

Any teachers out there who have those kinds of inappropriate feelings towards kids who are their students should get out of the profession - and get out quickly. You are degrading our profession.

• SRNA Salem, VT
    Oct. 29, 2013 5:18 p.m.

@ Airnaut - Whats the difference morally and ethically between a "17 year, 11 month and 30 day" year old boy to a 18 year old 'man'? One day does not morally change someone, nor make your point. However, the law is different and I agree that it is wrong and action needs to happen

@cjb - Spot on. This boy is not a victim. He WAS not raped. He willingly met this teacher at her home, at a park and wherever else, maybe at McDonalds, who knows? If this 'boy' was raped, I apologize for my comments. But its leaning that this was mutual.

** A sad experience for the 'boy's' family. But I think if he knows how to have sex, he should not be labeled a boy. Boys don't have sex. No matter their age: 17 or 35. If he is a part of the Mormon Faith, he has some resolutions to solve: including apologizing to this teacher for potentially ruining her life. She should still be tried accordingly for her mistakes.

• Hamath Omaha, NE
    Oct. 29, 2013 5:00 p.m.

@airnut

cjb is not condoning the teacher's behavior. he/she is condoning the idea that the student is a victim totally. One day, legally, you are a victim, and the other day you aren't.... that is just morally silly. Legally no, but morally, ethically, logically it's ludicrous. Just like the Emperor's new clothes. We all know 17 year olds who might have started the process, seduced the teacher. The teacher in such a situation is still guilty, but such a 17-year-old (I'm not saying this 17-year-old is one such) is not a victim in reality.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 4:49 p.m.

CougarBlue
    Heber City, UT

===

Not "teachers", but "teacher". Thousands of teachers across the country, working hard, using their own money and time for "your" kids, and you sit in an office somewhere and lump them all together.

Go thank a teacher today for taking the time to teach your child something today that will make your child of value to the community!

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 4:02 p.m.

I have to say I agree with cjb a bit here. I realize and agree the teacher was just flat stupid for doing this. Very poor judgement on her part. But a kid who obviously and proactively sought this, more than once. And then decides what, that he feels guilty for whatever reason and goes to police to turn her in. Did he not get what he wanted and desired out of the relationship that appeared to be quite some time according to his own reports. Listen Mr. Teen, if you don't like her anymore than move on and don't worry about it. You got what you wanted and she made a very poor judgement call to get into it anyway. But if you were not raped, controlled, and or manipulated in anyway, then the teen is not a victim, sorry. He she is guilty and she got caught. But why don't we hold this young man accountable as well. He gets his cake and eats it too. And then when he decides its over or his conscience gets the best of him, he is now the victim. Wrong on both parts.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Oct. 29, 2013 3:35 p.m.

cjb
    Bountiful, UT
    Is it just me or is it rediculus to call a 17 year old guy who willingly has sex with a woman a victim? I know it is common terminology for such a situation, but it brings to mind the story emperor's new clothes.

3:04 p.m. Oct. 29, 2013

=========

Is it just me or is it ridiculous that you are condoning an adult Teacher having sex with "children".

18 years old is the "legal" age of an adult.
    17 years, 11 months and 30 days or less is legaly a "child".

And how does your metaphor of the Emporere's New Cloths fit into this situation?

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 3:20 p.m.

Sad. My heart goes out to the affected families.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 3:04 p.m.

• Scott1 Quiet Neighborhood, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 2:30 p.m.

Doesn't anyone read, listen to, or watch the news anymore?

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 2:11 p.m.

It is absolutely amazing how many of these teachers simply lose their focus and their purpose. Sad to see them do this and create problems for themselves and the students. Teachers have lowered the valueand respect of teachers by doing this.