Sports

Utah football: Quarterback issues are coming back for Utes

Comments

• Gone fishin PAC Country, WA
    Oct. 31, 2013 5:19 p.m.

Yes, it seems that QB issues are back. Let's review: Wilson 5 touch down throws and 11 picks so far this year. Ranks among the worst in the country. Hill on the other hand started slow but is now ranked 6th nationally with 357 yards per game.
    Which would you rather have?

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Oct. 31, 2013 11:37 a.m.

Duckhunter,

I went to the article you referenced and confirmed that I did not post anything on that story.

However, you and Naval Vet were having an exchange on the QB topic.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 6:09 p.m.

Duckhunter, I won't argue with you on that. Wilson has "trended down" the last couple weeks, and Hill (see how I can actually capitalize an opposing player's name? Neat, huh?!) has "trended up." Hill's accuracy has improved, which I admit was somewhat of a surprise to me, you don't typically see that occur in the middle of a season. Conversely, you don't typically see guys' accuracy deteriorate in the middle of a season, barring injury (Brett Favre's year in New York playing the second half of the year with a torn biceps tendon in his throwing arm comes to mind), and I think that's what's going on with Wilson. I don't think Hill's improvement makes him a great QB, just not the awful one that he started the season out as. I don't watch every BYU game, or even all of the ones I do see, but the ones I have, I've still seen him make some head-scratching decisions. And Wilson obviously has, too, the difference was with a healthy hand he could squeeze passes into places he can't now, and is really paying for it.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 12:43 p.m.

@stg

That was clever and funny but you know as well as I do that seasons are judged on the whole, not on one week, or a couple of weeks at the beggining. Earlier in the season wilson was playing better than Hill and utah was playing better than BYU. No argument from me on that as they are facts. But now Hill is playing better than wilson and BYU is playing better than utah, and no one can reasonably argue otherwise.

Does that make BYU better than utah or Hill better than wilson? At this point I'd say yes but that could change again no doubt. We'll have to wait until the season is over to get a definitive answer to those questions.

Yes I know there are extenuating circumstances for utah right now, but there were extenuating circumstances for BYU two months ago. Things change and at this point BYU and Hill are playing much better than utah and wilson, they're better right now.

Now I'm not one of the "let's play again" guys, utah beat BYU, but that was one game one week, the season encompasses more than that week and game.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 11:58 a.m.

@u90

I already told you exaxtly where you can find it, the name of the article here in the dnews, the date the article was printed, the auther of the article, everything you need to look the article up for yourself. The dnews does not allow links as you know so I cannot provide you with one of those, but with all the info I gave you all you have to do is go to the search function right at the top of this page and you can find the article with the exact quotes in under a minute.

And of course I am on a utah article, I have already posted why I am here, the same reason you go to BYU articles, but you see I don't complain about you going to BYU articles so I'm not the hypocrite here. Take a look in the mirror.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 6:22 p.m.

skywalker, yeah you tell him. Everyone knows the season really started September 24.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Oct. 28, 2013 5:55 p.m.

U 90

"Over the past few games it does appear that Hill is playing much better than Wilson, although for the year Hill still has a lower rating (134 vs. 123) so you would be hard pressed to convince too many people outside of Provo of Hill's overall dominance."

Don't kid yourself; how many national player of the week awards has Wilson won.

If you think a 157.11 to 110.61 difference in rating over the last 5 games is insignificant, you need to take off the crimson-colored glasses and see reality.

Taysom has improved significantly since the Utah game. Travis has been steadily falling apart since the BYU game.

Last 5 Games
    Taysom - 106 of 162 (65.4%), 1455 yds, 11 TDs, 5 ints, 157.11 rating, 441 rushing, 4 TDs
    Travis - 77 of 136 (56.6%), 861 yds, 7 TDs, 11 ints, 110.61 rating, 98 rushing, 0 TDs

The nation watched Taysom's performance versus Boise State and Travis's performance versus USC and frankly, they weren't even close. Taysom has dominated Travis the last 5 games.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Oct. 28, 2013 5:36 p.m.

@ duckhunter "...if utah "fans" like yourself weren't constantly trying to cut on BYU"

Says the BYU fan on the Utah boards dishing out insults. You do realize that you are just the blue version of Chris B, right?

Our exchanges duck are when you come on a Ute article to dish out insults, and then I point out the hypocrisy in your post... it's really rather simple. I can't believe you haven't caught on yet.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Oct. 28, 2013 4:21 p.m.

Uteanymous, Over the past few games it does appear that Hill is playing much better than Wilson, although for the year Hill still has a lower rating (134 vs. 123) so you would be hard pressed to convince too many people outside of Provo of Hill's overall dominance. It will be interesting to see if Wilson can pull it together after his hand heals.

Duckhunter, I will own up to everything I've said. However I think you are confusing me with someone else, I do not recall this exchange on Whit's comments re: Wilson & Shulz. You're good at digging up old posts, work your magic again, find the post. If I said it I will own it. I still think it's funny that you rag on Whit for calling his QBs upper echelon when your own coach assumed his team was upper echelon enough to Quest for Perfection only to have Utes show how it's done. A little hypocritical on your part wouldn't you say?

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 2:29 p.m.

If we played them again now for the last four years we would be 4-0.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 2:22 p.m.

Qwest Perfected

Unfortunately, Whittingham doesn't seem to have learned anything from the Jordan Wynn debacle; Kyle seems to think that minimizing or simply not talking about injuries will make then go away.

As Heaps clearly demonstrated, having a strong arm and looking good in practice when there's no defensive pressure in your face, doesn't necessarily translate into being able to read defenses and perform on the field in game situations.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 1:47 p.m.

I hope Wilson's hand can get some much needed rest and recovery time during the bye week otherwise it will be an ugly end to this season. I'm surprised that there has been such a drop off of talent between Wilson and Shultz. Adam has looked pretty horrible in both games he has seen action in so far.

I know the team doesn't discuss injuries during the season but I am getting tired of the Utes playing a QB who is obviously not 100% then back pedaling after the game and make excuses of why we couldn't execute. It's obvious that Wilson hasn't been able to throw the ball the same since the second half of the Stanford game. I know they don't want to burn the red shirt year of either Manning or Cox but they haven't managed this injury very well in my opinion.

Like I said, hopefully Wilson can come back and finish the season strong. The Utes have a lot of work to do just to make a bowl game but that would still define this season as a success in my mind.

Go Utes!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 12:58 p.m.

@u 90

I assumed you wouldn't own up and I assumed correctly. LOL!

The fact is whittingham did make that claim, you had a meltdown over me calling him on it wanting "proof". I gave it to you, he said it despite your wishful thinking to the contrary and now it is coming back to bite him, and you. If wilson and schulz are 'upper echelon" pac12 qb's then what we currently see occuring should not be occuring as they have both sutnk it up two weeks in a row. Why is taking manning off his redshirt year even a discussion if wilson and schulz are "upper echelon"?

I know this is very painful for you, and I admit I enjoy that fact, but I would not enjoy it so much, and it wouldn't pain you nearly as much, if utah "fans" like yourself weren't constantly trying to cut on BYU because then I wouldn't be returning in kind. But we both know that is never going to happen so I guess you just have to get used to the fact that I am not going to simply take it passively. I will return fire.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 28, 2013 10:45 a.m.

U 90

Lots of straw men and deflecting, but no real explanation for why Utah, with a supposedly deep pool of quarterback talent, is playing a clearly injured starter, because the Utes have no quality backups.

Bottom line: two-thirds of the way through the season, Taysom has clearly emerged as the best quarterback in the state.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Oct. 28, 2013 10:11 a.m.

After Utah loses two in a row, all of the sudden duckhunter is back on the Utah boards setting records with 10 posts on every Ute article. Duck, where were you for the 2 weeks following BYU's loss to Utah? Oh I forgot, Tulsa.

What is your point about mocking Whit for saying he felt that he has two special QB's? Wasn't it Bronco who called for a Quest for Perfection? But it was ultimately the Utes who completed the perfect season 13-0.

So what is your point here? Or is it simply that you're feeling vindicated now that Utah has lost two in a row since taking 4 straight from the Cougars? Is that why all of the sudden you're so post happy?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 10:53 p.m.

Yes, I know bowls pick in a particular order, that is not the same as seeding. No team can "own a tiebreaker" for any spot in the conference other than divisional first place status. Your prognostications are conjectural and there is really no more logic to it than any other fan predicting which bowl their team will be in if eligible. In 2011, the Sun Bowl committee passed on both Arizona State and the South Division champions UCLA to pick Utah who, according to your "tiebreaker" and "conference seeding" scenarios, finished "behind" both those teams.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 9:36 p.m.

@stg

Sure the bowls can invite whichever team they want but do you really think a bowl is going to invite a worse team with a worse record and a smaller fanbase? Please explain that one to us?

Why would the Kraft Fight Hunger bowl invite a 6 win utah team over a 7 or 8 win Washington, Arizona, USC, or ASU team especially when utah has lost to all of them that they played? Bowls usually prefer to take the ....you know....better team.

The only scenario I could see where the kraft fight hunger bowl would choose utah over a better team with a better record is if they actually think a rematch with BYU is an attractive gate and tv draw. And that of course is purely because of BYU already being in that bowl game as they would never pick an inferior utah team over one of those other teams except for that scenario.

And there is seeding by the way, each bowl chooses based on their position in the pecking order, that is seeding, the kraft fight hunger is the 6th pick, or 6th seed, in the pac12 bowl pecking order.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 7:38 p.m.

SoonerUte,

There's no question that Utah would win a rematch in a bowl game. Wilson has 2 weeks to heal his hand, then the Utes are right back to being the improving team that beat Stanford. hill has improved his passing game but Utah's pass defense has also improved. As a new member, the Utes still struggles to compete in the most competitive conference in the nation but remain head and shoulders above byu when it comes to athletes and coaches. Go Utes!

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 2:11 p.m.

"This is not your older brothers' Boise team... and then they lost their QB so they were even worse before they even got to BYU."
    BYU does very well against teams that don't have their starting quarterback. With Wilson injured, no wonder Cougar fans want a rematch. Of course, in '12 the Utes 2nd string QB beat BYU, so maybe its not a given that they'd win the rematch...

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 12:04 p.m.

Duck, there is no such thing as "bowl seeding." Bowls make invites. We've been over this before, and you still make up your own concept on it.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 11:58 a.m.

I think Schulz is a perfectly capable QB when he plays to his strengths. Read options are not one of them. I put yesterday's loss more on the coaching than on ineptitude at the QB position. You have to be resolved enough to tell your star that he is of no benefit to the team if his hand won't let him throw an accurate pass. And then you have to be flexible enough to make an offense that the guy you go to can run efficiently. If they want to use the same offense, Cox would probably be the better man for the position than Schulz.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 11:50 a.m.

@ekute

I don't make many predictions but I do actually look at things like standings and which bowl gets which seed etc. Perhaps you should try to do the same thing before spouting whatever it is that enters your mind.

The pac12 has 7 bowl tie ins with the kraft fight hunger getting the 6th pick. utah currently sits in the 10th overall spot in the pac12 as it pertains to bowl seeding. It is 1 full game back from a tie for 8th place with uw and wsu, it is 2 full games back from a 7th place tie with ariz, usc, and ucla, all teams it lost to that all own the tiebreaker over utah so that actually gives them a 3 game lead on utah for the 7th spot.

For utah to get the kraft fight hunger bowl spot they need to go at least 3-1 over their last 4 games while having arizona, usc, and ucla all go 1-3 and wsu and uw going no better than 2-2.

It is really just a matter of math. You should try it.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 11:32 a.m.

@Reno Cougs Fan 68

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 11:15 a.m.

duck,

I still like our chances. Your predictions and prognostications are no better than Chris's. Whatever bowl we go to will be better earned than byu's. Go Utes.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 10:08 a.m.

@ekute

If utah even manages to make it to a bowl game they will not be good enough to be in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. That bowl is reserved for a team that will finish much higher in the standings than utah will. utah's best chance for any bowl is the new mexico bowl. Good luck even getting there.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 8:49 a.m.

"The state of Utah football is in a sorry state".

Only for some. BYU is performing at a high level and will probably end the season ranked before they go bowling. Things are great in Provo. I know this is hard when all you care about is your Utes, but it's true. Btw Chris B did you check out Houston destroying Rutgers on the road, or Texas' beat down of TCU? Ya, BYU looks just fine...nice try at hiding your myopic point of view though, "LOL".

• No Way Santaquin, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 8:47 a.m.

@ChrisB

Not with Pac12 officials...

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 8:21 a.m.

Chris,

Well put. A rematch in fight hunger bowl would be a great way to get things started into the 2014 season. Go Utes.

• Darth Vader Ogden, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 7:57 a.m.

Too many injuries on the offensive side of the ball without experienced back-ups. Tough to get experience when the 1's play most of every game.

Utah needs to schedule more teams that that they have proven that they can beat on a regular basis (Pitt, Georgia Tech, BYU, Utah St, Idaho St, Weber St, etc).

Why do you schedule the best of the MWC (Fresno St) and a BIG10 power (Michigan). You already play 9 Pac-12 games and are beat into submission.

You should play BYU and Utah State every year. BYU the last game so you can recover from the emotional hangover.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 3:56 a.m.

But the prestige of the conference makes it all worth it! Remember the good old years?

Having one good game against a Stanford like team gets all of the fan expectations out of control. Some guys claiming Utah would beat USC because USC was playing their 3rd string. Then Utah only scores 3 points the entire game! The "prestige" is quickly wearing off as Utah continually scrapes the bottom of the pac 12 barrel. The fans can at least hang their hat on the fact that they beat what it turning into a really good BYU team. Until next year and the year after that when they don't play.

Now what?

Wilson is decent QB that just needs to heal but it seems like we are always saying something like that. Remember the Wynn years?

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Oct. 27, 2013 2:56 a.m.

Chris B,
    Just because Utah is now 4-4 overall and 1-4 in conference and likely to miss bowling for the second year in a row and BYU is 6-2 and got an official invite to a bowl game and just killed BSU a team Utah has never beaten, does not mean that football in Utah is in a sorry state!!! Utah was the better team in Sept. but BYU has moved onward and upward and Utah has not!!! Good luck in your last 4 games, you can always look back and say you were better for one night in Sept.!!!

Rise Up!!!
    Go Cougs!!!

• JDS1 St George, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 2:15 a.m.

Someone find Chase Hansen out there in the mission field and get him home. He's the Utes best chance.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 12:33 a.m.

Well let's go back to Friday April 12th of this year in an article right here in the Dnews written by Dirk Facer titled "Utah Football Notebook: QB battle is 'very close'"

I brought this up pre season and utah "fan" u 90 had a meltdown over it calling for "proof, links, and evidence". Well here it is again.

"We've got two guys that we think are really very capable quarterbacks in the Pac-12 and maybe even upper echelon,".... said Whittingham,....Whittingham also had praise for quarterback Brandon Cox....He showed us enough this spring for us to realize that we've got something special there," Whittingham said."

Hmmm...."upper echelon"? "Something special"? I'm just wondering when all this "upper echelon"ness and "something special"ness is going to manifest itself?

When can I "mark it down" christina?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 10:38 p.m.

The state of Utah football is in a sorry state.

Utah looks grossly overmatched. And no other team in Utah can even beat Utah

• Dave Matthews Sammamish, WA
    Oct. 26, 2013 7:51 p.m.

Wilson is our best bet. Keep him in. He's not even the league leader in interceptions.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 7:24 p.m.

All mocking aside, let Wilson get healed and he will be fine. The kid has talent and heart. Nothing but respect for Travis Wilson.