Dick Harmon: Big brother says BYU sophomore Taysom Hill is the real deal

• jaba166 Wasilla, AK
    Oct. 28, 2013 8:20 p.m.

I absolutely love seeing TH silence of the naysayers who were questioning his throwing ability early in the season, and writing him off here, and on cougarboard. For anyone with good football eyes, TH always showed a great arm with great zip, and always threw a very nice tight ball, even thogh timing and accuracy were a work in progress early on. With his combo of speed, elusiveness, vision, passing ability, and that "X factor" mentioned in a previous blog, I believe the sky's the limit for TH and hopefully BYU if he remains healthy.
    The "X factor" however, has nothing to do with his ahtletic prowess. It really is his overall demeanor, with a mix of confidence and teachable humility that is the true quality of greatness. Detmer had it, Pitta had it, Van Noy, Ansah, and Hoffman all have it, Jimmer has it, and many others have had it. But, in a QB, it is indispensable, and paramount to true success. That, combined with his grit, competitiveness, determination, leadership, integrity, respect, and team-first attitude maike up the total package "X-factor" that will lead TH to be likely the best ever at BYU, and possibly beyond!

• daver Provo, 00
    Oct. 28, 2013 3:33 p.m.

I'm waaaay happy with the wins, respectfully view Taysom as a work in progress. If his decisions, progressions and accuracy continue to get better every game, it will be rewarding for him AND the fans. One precaution: Remember when Jimmer tried to beat Florida all by himself in OT in 2011? There is always the danger that, under duress, one tries to win the game alone, rather than trusting one's team mates!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 3:07 p.m.

@ Chris B:

Since BYU has finished ranked in most of the national polls the past several years, while Utah has not finished ranked for quite a long time, it's much more likely that BYU will compete for a national championship before Utah ever will again. Urban and his program are long gone and now we're seeing the full effect.

Why is it you always laugh at the wrong things in your comments? Are most college football facts just floating above your head and just too hard to understand... or are the real facts just too hard to accept?

• cougar76 Raleigh, NC
    Oct. 28, 2013 2:08 p.m.

christine b is right. It is silly to think that Bronco would retire if BYU wins the national championship with Hill. He will absolutely stick around to do it again with Tanner Magnum.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Oct. 28, 2013 1:02 p.m.

I, too, am disappointed that the comments about Jake would be made, let alone be published. Can we be more positive? As Grandma used to tell us, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". Thanks again, Grandma. That is excellent advice. There is so much good around us to comment on. Why be unkind when we don't need to be?

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Oct. 28, 2013 11:37 a.m.

Taysom Hill: "The Pride of Pocatello"!

To "Duh": That would be Idaho State, not "Idaho". BIG difference!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 10:35 a.m.

"By the way, if BYU does indeed win the national championship on Taysom's watch, look for Bronco to retire afterward."

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Oct. 28, 2013 8:56 a.m.

"Anyone who is STILL disparaging Heaps two quarterbacks later lacks the class Hill is described as having, and probably has bigger "problems" than the one's he accuses Heaps as having."

Kinda sorta agree, although it's natural to look at the guy who most thought would be having a triumphant senior year at the Y right now and compare him to what we actually have. Personally, I am rooting for and am disappointed for Heaps, as I'm sure his career is nothing close to what he envisioned. His overall career report card would have to be a C- or D+ right now. I know nothing about him as a person, but hopefully he has the character to not let his relative failure affect his outlook on life.

Then there's always the possibility of Heaps making "the leap" in his senior year. Hey, stranger things have happened, right? Right???

• The Solution Dayton, OH
    Oct. 28, 2013 8:47 a.m.

Cougar Passion:
    I like your passion, but you are a little ahead of yourself. If things aligned perfectly, it could happen in 2015. In that schedule we play Nebraska, Michigan, Southern Miss, SJSU, UNLV, and USU on the road, while BSU, Cincinnati, Connecut, and a Fresno St. (currently improved) are at home. That might be a good enough schedule if we run the table. Too bad we don't play ND that year. There still are two more home games that need to be scheduled, and unless some miracle happens, they will probably be lower echelon programs.

Also to note, we play USU the very last game of the season, replacing Utah as the rivalry.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Oct. 28, 2013 7:42 a.m.

@Cougar Passion,

And that's a gigantic "if". Exciting as things are now, I think we are still a long way from winning another national championship! We're losing Van Noy after this season and I'm not sure there's anyone of his caliber coming up to replace him. Hopefully I'm wrong!

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    Oct. 27, 2013 9:21 p.m.

No doubt about it. The kid has a future in football. However, the game against Boise really wasn't much of a test given the Bronco's had to play so many freshman and reserve players due to play maker injuries. The Bronco D was not in good physical condition so whatever game the Cougs have next will be a better test. Actually, I thought the score would have been more lop-sided.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 5:47 p.m.

Continued from my last unfinished comment...

... that there was no way would I ever want to trade Utah quarterbacks, even though Utah had just won their most notable game of their season and others were just starting to climb on the Taysom Hill bandwagon. I even went so far as to declare that he was becoming NFL material. No else seemed to agree... at least with their online comments and at that time. That seems to be changing now.

I now feel totally vindicated and justified with my early season ongoing confidence in Taysom and feel the best is yet to come. Watch and enjoy.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 5:36 p.m.

I don't enjoy tooting my own horn, but it now appears I was one of only a few fans who never doubted Taysom... even early in the season. I knew what he did in high school and that Stanford never goes after qb's that aren't very good.

After the Utah game I told Chris B that he should "mark it down" that Taysom's passing would soon start dramatically improving. I also asked BYU fans to please be bit more patient when when their online comments were nearly begging for a change of quarterbacks.

And lastly, I wrote a few weeks ago to Utah fans (after their Stanford win) that there was no way would I ever swap

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 5:10 p.m.

I'm a bit more of a realist. Hill is by far and away the best QB they have had down at the Y since Max Hall. I don't know if he is one of 'the great ones' because it is a different set of circumstances. What I've seen of Hill this year is a lot of potential. I don't know if he has surrounding cast to go much higher though. Wisconsin will be very telling and I don't think it's going to be a very rosy picture in two weeks.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 5:10 p.m.

aComment, I try to let go of the past and live in the present and for the future, instead of the past. People who do so are happier.

I also think the venom people have for something someone did when they were 18-20 years old is extremely misplaced. I have ZERO connection to Heaps, none, nada, but it bothers me that people hate on a young PERSON. What makes anyone think that is healthy, or they have the right to do so? People pile on Heaps. Personally, I wish him success. Heaps having success wouldn't take anything away from Hill, BYU, or the haters.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 3:42 p.m.

We are at the beginning of a very special ride with the quarterback who may very likely be the one that wins the national championship about which Bronco has spoken so much. Reminds me of seeing some of the things Jimmer did for the basketball team his junior year before the national media was fully aware of him, as well as Ty Detmer years ago before he beat Miami. Turns out Chris Hill was prescient: even given the extraordinary attention given to this game by Utah's coaches and players, they wouldn't be beating BYU the next two years. They even got an unforeseen gift this year from the Pac-12 by being required to play the game early, before BYU got its passing game going. Given that BYU was in that game to the end despite hardly being able to complete a pass, only those looking through the most crimson of glasses could think the result would be the same if played today.

• aComment Centerville, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 2:44 p.m.

Either that, or those who are trying to silence the Heaps comments were duped into thinking BYU failed him rather than the other way around and they are embarrassed by that fact and wish the whole thing would just go away.

Trying to distance Jake by saying it was "two quarterbacks ago" is an attempt to deceive. If Jake had taken the coaches advice to redshirt a season and then take over, then this would have been the year he would be taking over. So the comparisons between Jake and Taysom are extremely relevant.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 1:38 p.m.

Many good points, BlueHusky, with this exception: Many BYU QBs didn't start until they were Juniors but Virgil Carter, Gifford Nielsen, Marc Wilson, Jim McMahon, Ty Detmer, John Beck and Max Hall all started before their Junior years. Steve Young didn't because he was behind McMahon.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 12:59 p.m.

After watching the Kansas game, it is not necessary to debate BYU's coaching or choice of QBs. And please DN, no more personal interest stories on the Kansas QB.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 27, 2013 12:51 p.m.

I think both Hill and Anae are maturing and getting better. But I think the biggest problem that HAS to improve in order for the Cougs to have a chance at Wisconsin or ND is our red (blue) zone offense. I put that on the shoulders of our OC. Right now we are ranked 72 in the country in Red Zone scoring. We move the ball up and down the field only to get stymied from scoring position way too often. It was evident in last game and was the single biggest factor in the Utah loss. Anae seems to have brain cramps when we get close to the end zone.

I truly hope this will be a point of emphasis in the next 2 weeks of practice.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Oct. 27, 2013 11:00 a.m.

I just hope this translates to wins against Wisconsin and Notre Dame. That is all that matters. Of course we can't let up against Idaho and Nevada either.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Oct. 27, 2013 7:30 a.m.

Fans are fickle. We sit on our couches watching players and criticising their every failure. Utah fans are screaming to bench Wilson, fire Whittingham. They were giddy when they beat BYU. BYU fans were harsh with Anae and Hill. Even the fantastic pasting of Texas was obliterated by the 30 incompletes Hill threw in the Utah game. Would Utah want to play BYU next week? Don't think so.

College football is about growth of young athletes. Hill has improved with every game. Robert Anae has installed more and more aspects to the offense. Now we're seeing the beginnings of an elite offense to match Bronco's defense.

People forget that in the glory days, BYU quarterbacks were Juniors before they got the reins. Hill was a freshman. We'll have two more years after this one with a truly great athlete surrounded by better and better athletes. BYU will be a very, very good team.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Oct. 27, 2013 1:51 a.m.

Here is something rather troubling... Utah won't face Taysom again during the regular season... 2014 and 2015 are it and then???? Bronco, don't play Taysom at all during games against the likes of Idaho State.... Get our replacement ready for the day when Taysom is either gone to graduation or out for a period due to injury. We are really beginning to like what is happening in Provo, and as hopefully seen again in 2 weeks elsewhere across this great nation! We need to be solid at QB so we don't face the troubles like Utah is and has been facing 3 years strong. Prove to all the doubters, that BCS money is irrelevant! All you need is a solid team PERIOD!

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 1:38 a.m.

Imagine what he could do if he had a decent OL in front of him?

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Oct. 27, 2013 12:23 a.m.

@SamoanYfan "Hill has improved so much that it's sickening...."

I'm pretty sure that the only people that are sickened by Hill's improvement are the myriad of BYU haters who have been posting about what a bad passer Hill is and how far down the national rankings he is. Or was.

It brings a smile to my face as I contemplate several of BYU haters (who will not be named) who incessantly post to every article about BYU.

This weekend has been very good in light of all those haters, and how grim it must be in their world.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 11:15 p.m.

• TamaBYU Provo, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 11:15 p.m.

@ NevadaCoug
    I was going to say the same thing. I'm glad we sent him out to KU. So happy that Taysom is climbing up the Hill. Once he reaches the top, ain't no one going to bring him down. It's good to be a cougar, rain or shine!!!!

• tuffgong POCATELLO, ID
    Oct. 26, 2013 11:11 p.m.

I have been lucky enough to know the Hill's and Taysom for a long time. Watching him play in HS was something to behold. I'm not kidding when I say no one in the last 30 years or EVERgas dominated the sport like T Hill did at Highland. They only lost a game his SR year to the Cali State Big School Champ Grant Union Pacers, a team that had 10-15 D1 players, many of which are still playing at PAC12 schools and Fresno St. He carried Highland in that game and Highland was the only team to really challenge them that year before Long Beach Poly. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that he's a special athlete that has that X factor and the ability to have everything slow down around him. He will be a Heisman contender and undoubtedly will move onto the NFL as long as he remains healthy. Pocatello is so proud of you T, keep it rolling!

• SamoanYfan WEST JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 10:39 p.m.

Hill has improved so much that it's sickening.

He truly has become a dual threat. Which opens up the run game for Jamal and the other backs. It's good to watch the passing game return to BYU.

Onward and Upward...

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Oct. 26, 2013 10:01 p.m.

Quarterback A: 7/19, 85 yds passing, 1TD, 2 carries for -19 yds, QBR of 7.3.
    Quarterback B: 27/41, 339 yds passing, 3 TDs, 18 carries for 69 yds and 1 TD, QBR of 86.1.

One of those is Taysom Hill. The other? Well, he plays for Kansas now.
    I don't miss him at all. Something tells me his problems have nothing to do with coaching.

• Balan South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 26, 2013 7:43 p.m.

I too questioned his ability after seeing his performance the first part of the year. Typical myopic fan! No longer, however, Taysom has shown signs of greatness and if he stays healthy he could be one of the best to ever play at BYU.

• KTar Boise, ID
    Oct. 26, 2013 7:16 p.m.

@ Pipes
    Seriously man, you hit the nail right on the head. I wish I could "like" that comment 50 times. While I'm pleased that Anae has instilled an offense that is productive and seems to have found its rhythm, he needs to keep his foot on the pedal in the second half. The first half is always an exciting brand of football, and the second half is a snoozer. Maybe my expectations are too high, but I'm still waiting for a complete performance on the offensive side of the ball.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 6:41 p.m.

Hill has made a believer out of me. Now if he would just audible out of some of Anae's conservative calls he would be perfect!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 26, 2013 6:14 p.m.

I never doubted Hill's ability to run, but I questioned whether he would have the accuracy to be an elite QB. Now I look back on the trolls who called him Riley 2.0 and I chuckle just a little bit. There is no doubt he is "the real deal." I can't think of another QB who I would rather have at the helm than Hill.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Oct. 26, 2013 6:04 p.m.

A lot of good boys come out of Idaho. Taysom is a good one. He will be one of the great QB's out of BYU.