Sports

High school football: State tournament pairings

Comments

• Bee Careful Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 9:07 a.m.

How is it that Davis (9-0) gets paired with Pleasant Grove (8-2) in the first round? With that record shouldn't PG and Davis have been paired with one of the 4-5 teams? Davis is one of only two unbeaten teams in the state in 5A. The other one Bingham (10-0) got paired with a 4-5 team. Maybe I don't understand how the pairings get set, but that seems like a bad break for both David and Pleasant Grove.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 9:49 a.m.

@Bee Careful

It is because of the crappy way the UHSAA does their pairings. Rather than seed the playoffs, they just go by what place you finish in your Region and this year Region 1 Number 1 got Region 4 Number 4 and PG was #4 due to a coin flip.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 9:59 a.m.

My First Round Picks

5A

Upper Bracket: Brighton, Herriman, PG, Jordan
    Lower Bracket: Alta, Lone Peak, Bingham, Riverton
    I am thinking all Region 3 Semis, and I will take Bingham and Brighton in a great game, Bingham wins, they just know how to do it.

4A

Upper Bracket: Olympus, Logan, East, Corner Canyon - It is a shame East and Logan are in the same bracket.
    Lower Bracket: Woods Cross, Orem (despite this years loss already to Salem Hills), Timpview, Sky View
    The championship is Logan and East in teh Semi Finals, I will take East
    3AA
    Bear River, Cedar, Desert Hills, I know this is only first round, I think Dixie and Desert Hills play each other in the championship. Sorry Juan Diego

3A
    Judge, Juab, Manti, Morgan - Judge to win it all

2A
    San Juan, North Summit, Grand, Beaver, South Summit - South Summit to win it all.

1A
    Duchesne is going to win it all so the rest does not even matter.

Just my thoughts, doesn't mean I am right. I think Region 1 and 2 in 5A is weak this year, and Region 3 is just too strong.

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    Oct. 26, 2013 10:54 a.m.

non-conference records have no effect on the seeding and that is a good thing

• footballisgood Holladay, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 2:01 p.m.

Big deal, Parry. Non league schedules are not against equitable competition, so bringing up the overall record does not mean much

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 26, 2013 3:14 p.m.

Bingham will take state, everyone else is playing for second place. GO MINERS!

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 5:49 p.m.

Only two guarantees Bingham and East wins state. The rest is just formalities. Still have a fun time watching your teams lose 4A and 5A tourney.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Oct. 26, 2013 6:16 p.m.

utahbruin,

I know that everyone has their opinion on the outcome for this years playoff race, but you're mistaken about JD not reaching the big one. JD will win the 3AA state title and bring it back home to draper.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 10:58 p.m.

Alta, Bingham, Brighton, and Jordan in the semi's at RES. We know Alta can play with Bingham and should've won the game Thursday. Brighton and Jordan are a toss up on the other side as well. Go Hawks! Win it all and get hot when it matters most.

• razorback South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 12:38 a.m.

Plyxply,

I don't follow you on the Alta "should've won the game" commentary. Bingham was the better team coming in. They came out flat and everybody saw it. Maybe they didn't take a 4-4 Alta team seriously. I'm sure Peck took them seriously but I don't think the team did. I give Alta credit for coming with enthusiasm, motivation and a great game plan that they executed very well in the first half.

But there are two halves to play. Peck got his team's attention at halftime and Bingham made adjustments and dominated the second half with some excellent play - better than Alta had dominated the first half. Then they kneeled out the last minute at the 3 yard line. I didn't sense that Alta gave it away. Bingham took it from them.

I can't recall any controversial penalty calls or non-calls. In fact, I thought this was the best officiated Alta-Bingham I can recall.

I think there is a good possibility of a re-match at RES if Alta can play that well against Syracuse. Best of luck to the Hawks in getting there. Bingham-Alta is always a great game.

• razorback South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 12:44 a.m.

P.S.

And Bingham won't be suckered by the "sneak a player off the sideline" trick punt play again if they meet up at RES.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 8:46 a.m.

Some people were asking about the pairings and the seeds that came from Region 4. It is actually quite logical and fair and has nothing to do with overall record. And it didn't require coin flips.

The tie-breaking procedures just looked at the region records of the four teams involved and how they did against each other. Herriman and Riverton were 2-1 and Lone Peak and Pleasant Grove were 1-2. Then Herriman beat Riverton thus they were deemed the first seed and Riverton the second. Lone Peak beat Pleasant Grove head to head and were deemed the third seed and Pleasant Grove the fourth.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 1:12 p.m.

UHSAA is terrible. Bring back Region IX and assimilate these teams into 3A or 4A. A 3AA "state" championship is no more than a glorified region title.

• 4BS St George, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 2:47 p.m.

@Utahbruin - Just for the record, as per your 3AA comment, Dixie and Desert Hills could meet in the Semi's not the finals. They are in the opposite bracket from JD. So likely, JD or PV will meet either Dixie or DH in the finals.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 7:29 p.m.

@mykaljordan

You may be right, JD is really good, I know. I will admit I do not know as much about 3AA as I do the 4A and 5A schools. That St. George Region will call it, is really good I know and JD is clearly the best up here in the North. This is s fun time of season and high school football playoffs is a fun time of year. Good luck to your boys. I agree with you, they just may be champs! Should be a fun playoffs.

@4BS

You are right, I apologize. To stick with my original pick. I will go with Pine View upsetting JD and DH beating Dixie and D. Hills winning the 3AA. Sorry mykaljordan, just picking an upset. Doesn't mean I am right. Good luck to all, should be a fun playoff season.

• KG South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 7:13 a.m.

A long streak has ended... Delta was unable to find consistency this year under their new (but promising) coach, and they miss the playoffs for the first time in 35 (I think) straight years. Great tradition at Delta, but time to pick themselves up by their bootstraps next year and start another streak. It is strange, though, to look at the pairings and not see them there.

• Sorryboutdat south jordan, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 8:23 a.m.

The questions about why Davis has to play Pleasant Grove.It wasn't decided by a coin toss.
    Herriman beat both Riverton and Lone Peak.
    Riverton beat both Lone Peak and Pleasant Grove
    Lone Peak beat Pleasant Grove.
    All these teams are a handfull!
    What i find crazy is region 2 may not win a game against region 3.
    These regions are lob sided in region 3 the top 4 are guaranteed a playoff birth each year.
    Unless Copper Hills and West Jordan turn things around with only 6 in the conference.
    With a weaker region 2 they may want to consider a better way of getting the top 16.
    In region 4 American Fork and Lehi are teams that would probably take that division and they didn't make it.Davis will have a battle with PG and Syracuse with Lone Peak.We do not have the best 16 teams leaving out AF and Lehi in the tough 7 team region 4.

• footballisgood Holladay, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 9:00 a.m.

So if the other region 4 teams played Orem, Timpanogos, and Maple Mountain (PG's preseason not including Timpview, which was a heck of a win), or Granger, Madison (ID), and Dixie (Riverton's preseason) that they would not have better overall records? Your argument about overall record as an indicator of a team's strength does not hold any water. If you schedule weaker teams you will have a better record. I remember Monte Morgan at Lone Peak used to schedule a tough preseason every year and would be, like, 1-3 going in to region play, then finish first in region and go the the semis or finals, even though their overall record was not as good as some others. Put Bingham on the schedule of all of those teams and it is a loss for every one of them.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 28, 2013 9:40 a.m.

Getter done Bingham.

Class of '82

• wiseacre Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 12:19 p.m.

The UHSAA needs to go to a power point system in seeding for playoffs. The only downside to this is that there is no region champs - you play for state seeding. In addition, it would force teams to play tougher pre-season games, and hope that teams in their region would do the same. Arizona has a fairly sweet set up, Utah is very archaic.

• DT Layton, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 12:58 p.m.

Have to agree that it's a shame when the 2 best teams end up on the same side of the bracket. Logan and East have been on a collision course all year long. I don't think you will hear any complaints coming out of either of these programs. Both high quality programs who understand you have to win them all to be champs. On paper, East looks to be unbeatable but Coach Favaro has a knack of putting together game plans and schemes that have produced multiple state titles. I think Logans offense will have to put up 50+ points in a shootout to have a chance. Winner should get to play Timpview for the title. Thats not a great gift as Timpview has shown that they can play with anyone. Hoping for a great playoff and a Logan Title

• wiseacre Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 1:33 p.m.

@DT
    Logan's first round matchup with Bntfl is not a good draw. It was a 10-3 game - Logan winning. Logan put up points this year, but so did their opponents. I would not consider Logan a shoe-in. If they get by Bntfl, they have the winner of Olympus vs Springville. I'll take Olympus in that one. I think Logan would have their hands full if they meet up with Olympus.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 1:49 p.m.

I think the best first round games are going to be Davis/PG and Lone Peak/Syracuse. All 4 are teams capable of making a deep run. It's almost a shame that two of those teams will be done week one. It should be fun. I think Riverton could give Bingham fits in round 2.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 1:50 p.m.

plyxply

I agree with you that Alta, Bingham, Brighton, and Jordan in the semi's at RES. But second time about Bingham dominates Alta win by 20+ and Brighton beats Jordan again in the same fashion as the first. Bingham winning state in a good game.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 2:15 p.m.

I don't agree with you PigSkin. I would agree with Bingham being the only region 3 team making to RES. I will be Bingham, Syracuse, Herriman and Davis. Region 3 teams have been good this year playing their games. How many of those teams play on artificial grass? Of those teams how many are even playing at home during the playoffs. There is so much that goes into these games as well as nachos, popcorn and soda. The ball bounces diffirently when the playoffs are here. I think the best match ups are region 1 and 4 for the first round. I also believe Northridge plays out of their head and beats Riverton at their place. They can sling the ball around and is one of the fastest teams in the state. They also have a good tight end. I hope your horses get some rest this week before the game because Northridge is all over the field. Davis is tough. PG Has a good team but I think their defense is week. When they blitz or bring pressure the leave the middle wide open and Davis will expose them all night long. Davis is Big!!!!!!!!!!

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 2:25 p.m.

@adwright
    Riverton hasnt beat BINGHAM for 10 year! I dont think the wing t has changed and there little Running game doesnt work against Big D lineman!

Bingham vs Alta
    Brighton vs Jordan,

I think that iwll be the 5a Semis but then against playoff football brings anything!
    good luck to all teams!

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 3:27 p.m.

Riverton gives Bingham fits? Riverton is a run first team with that Wing T offense. Name me a running team that has given Bingham fits? Riverton would lose by 35 points if they play Bingham.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 3:35 p.m.

adwight

is correct that the best first round game is Davis/PG and Lone Peak/Syracuse because anytime can win. PG will have trouble stopping Davis undefeated QB that can run and pass. "Davis" wins in a tight one. Syracuse might have the bigger problem stopping Lone Peak QB-Baron Gajkowski; one of the best runners(1,181 yds) and passers (1,652 yds) in the State. He also missed the Timpview game. Syracuse does not have running or passing numbers anywhere close. "Lone Peak" wins in a good game. Sorry Cuse you will not stop "Little Hansen". He does remind me of Chase.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 4:00 p.m.

goaggies1

You got one out of four to RES, that is Bingham. You have not watched Region 3 play, too big and strong (Offesively) for Davis and Herriman. And Syracuse still does not have enough Offense. All they do is run junk in the middile with no results. Like every first down, too predictable. Sorry Cuse. All Region 3 in RES.

• DT Layton, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 4:23 p.m.

Wiseacre

No disrespect intended. No easy games to get to RES. 1st BTFL game was close but Logan offense has got progressively better. Championships usually come down to defense and Logan D has been pretty solid all year. Most games they had 2nd and 3rd string in by early 3rd quarter on both sides due to runaway score. Don't know how you can bet against Logan making it to Semi to face East. East is an interesting team. Clearly they have the most talent in 4A if not the whole State. However, we have seen this before. Dominate all year then get beat at State. Favaro has been a major thorn in East coach's side dating back to Park City 2007. I'm sure he is pretty motivated and this year I think he has the best team he has ever had. I would not bet on Logan but I would not be suprised to see them give East all they want and more

• Feliz Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 4:26 p.m.

@wiseacre,

You must be an East fan. I can see right through your post because if I were you I wouldn't want a thing to do with Logan because we all know how that has worked out for you in the past.

• utahfootballguy Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 6:01 p.m.

Just like Jordan being far superior to everyone in 5A last year...East and Bingham are the same for this year. No one can compete with them...everyone is playing for 2nd place in 4A and 5A. This years Davis team is far weaker than last years Syracuse team from Region 1 and this years Alta is no better than last year's average Alta team. Lone Peak, PG, Riverton & Herriman, Davis and Syracuse are very similar...just depends on who shows up...none of them have a talent advantage. Brighton overachieved so far this year, I struggle to place them any higher than the rest of the pack. It is all Bingham's to lose.

• footballisgood Holladay, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 6:05 p.m.

Parry, now you are taking things out of context. You were talking about the overall record. Your words. Now you are saying that looking at the games themselves provides input. Of course they do! I agree 100% that preseason games need to be looked at to provide input. But that was not your initial point, which was (and this is what I was responding to) about the overall record. If you meant that to be an argument for looking at the preseason games themselves, I probably would have not said anything.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 6:35 p.m.

PigSkin, I have seen in person region 3 play this year and they are good sized I will give you that. They in know wise are any way shape or form the same size of Jordan Junior College team from last year. They where all big, so we have seen big.

UtahFootballguy, I like you. You can see through alot of what other people people cant. I believe what your saying about Davis. Good team, everything needs to work for them to win. I believe if Cuse and Davis would play again this year, Cuse would win by two touchdowns and maybe more. I believe Bingham is the team we are all gunning for. Dont forget, the Cuse was the last team to beat Bingham. Goodluck!!!!!!

• Rural sport fan DUCHESNE, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 7:09 p.m.

Please, please lets not go to some silly arbitrary power system to seed the play offs. Do we need to remind people in Utah of how bad the BCS has been, using their system?

It's a high school championship. Regional match ups, if they stay matched up for more than two years at a time, mean something. And if you want to be state champs, you have to win the last few, no matter when the toughest team is your opponent. This isn't designed to figure out who is fourth or fifth...it comes down to the two teams that survive the playoffs, and then play one game to decide which trophy they take home. All the rest is just weeding out the rest.

Meanwhile, in other states...they don't take 80% of all teams to the playoffs. If you weren't top two out of 11 or 12 region teams, you didn't go to state at all where I grew up.

• waterboyy23 Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 8:32 p.m.

"The 'Cuse' is the last one to beat Bingham."

If Syracuse can get past Alta this is all Coach Peck needs to say to his players to unleash a monster worse than the won they faced last year at State.

• 5A Football Man Layton , UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 8:33 p.m.

So watching 5A all year the PG and Davis game will be the game of the week. Watching both teams I think PG pulls out a win. My upset watch game. I think will be riverton vs northridge. I have watch both don't sleep on northridge in round one. I can see this being a upset game. The Other fun game to watch is Syracuse and Lone Peak. I think lone peak will win this one in a really close game, but wouldn't be surprise if Syracuse wins.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 10:07 p.m.

Waterboy, He did tell his players last year and they got worked. One team made adjustments and the other didnt and you know the rest of the story, Bingham is good. But beatable.

• wiseacre Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 11:42 p.m.

@rural sports fan

I like the power point system - it could work here in Utah. However, I think the real problem with UHSAA bracket layout is that not enough schools are in the state tournament. The size of the bracket aligns the best schools in the same bracket which allows them to meet in the quarters or semis rather than the championship game. The only way to eliminate that is to increase the amount of teams in the playoffs to 16. Doable, Yes. UHSAA willing to change? NO.

• wiseacre Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 11:59 p.m.

Yes I know there are already 16 teams in bracket - my bad, I meant to rank them 1 - 16, based off power points (crazy yet logical algorithm). Just like NCAA Hoops - East would be 1 seed and for the sake of it, corner canyon 16th, Logan 2 seed vs Spanish Fork 15th, Timpview 3 seed vs Orem 14th seed. Problem solved.

• waterboy23 Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 5:46 a.m.

Yeah they're beatable... but not by anyone in Utah. Last year was last year. Bingham won't take any team lightly again like they did Alta. Expect to see a juggernaut Bingham team throughout playoffs.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 8:08 a.m.

Goaggies1

If Cuse played Davis again they would win. This is real life football, they had their chance and got out coached and out played. The same thing will happen in this years playoffs out coached and out played! Bingham will run the Table and win State. Cuse is too small and lacks Offensive caller too get the championship game. Just dumb luck last year, then their true talent showed up. State deserve a competitive game this year. So Cuse should just bow out early, watching Cuse is as exciting as watching paint dry or get a root canal.Not!!!

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 8:55 a.m.

I have looked at Riverton and to me they look pretty solid on both sides of the ball. I haven't seen much of Northridge but I have a really hard time believing they can upset. To be honest, I think Riverton may even put up a fight against Bingham, specially if Bingham goes in sleeping like they did with Alta.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 9:00 a.m.

PigSkin, when was the last Cuse game you saw? Really when did you see them play last? You predicted Cuse would win 3-4 games this year. Quess what they have won a few more than you thought. Dumb luck? Tell that to Boston right now about how they lucked into winning so far this series. You said at the first of the season the Cuse would be lucky to win 3-4 games if that. Cuse is too small did you say. Ask Brian Mone and Highland if they were too small. They had a quarterback (soph) who had only started 3 total high school games before that and we still won. How many D1 players do they have on there team. You have probably seen 1 game and that was the Davis game on TV. If you only base things off one game then your good. Like I said Cuse is a diffirent team since you saw them on TV. We do have a trick up the middle play called the fumbleruski. Dude it works. Very tricky. PigSkinFan I would love to sit with you and watch the paint dry. Go Cuse!!!

• Rudy44 Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 9:39 a.m.

Interesting comments. I am not convinced that the 4 way tie in Region 4 is an indication of top to bottom quality but more an indication of mediocrity. Only time will tell. Region 1 haters may need to be reminded that a Region 1 team has been in the state championship game for 6 straight years. I also don't believe that Bingham should be anointed as yet. They are vulnerable to several teams from Utah. East is much more dominant in 4A. Pleasant Grove needs to be wary of the overall team speed of Davis. Davis and Syracuse play assignment sound defense which is rare at this level. This, I believe, is the reason they have had the success they have had this year. I am a bit concerned about the size of Pleasant Grove but I do remember the last visit of a big and highly talented(several D1 guys)PG team to Kaysville and they were dominated by a well-coached Davis team with no D1 guys. Good Luck to all the teams this weekend.

• Rudy44 Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 10:13 a.m.

Correction to my last post: A Region 1 team has been in the state championship game 5 of the last 6 years.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 11:47 a.m.

Round 1:

Brighton over Cottonwood
    Herriman over Layton
    Pleasant Grove over Davis (upset alert)
    Jordan over Hunter
    Syracuse equal to Lone Peak
    Alta over Taylorsville
    Bingham over West
    Riverton over Northridge

Quarterfinals:

Herriman over Brighton (upset alert)
    Pleasant Grove over Jordan (upset alert)
    Syracuse/Lone Peak over Alta
    Bingham over Riverton

Look for Herriman, Pleasant Grove, Syracuse and Bingham to make it to RES.

• crazyfam10 SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 11:51 a.m.

Why is Herriman seeded first?

It wasn't a coin toss. My understanding is that three of the teams had both of their losses to two of the other 4 in the playoff group, Herriman only lost to one of the other three. Not saying that's fair, but what I was told by one of the coaches.

And I think it would be a bad idea to make overall record the tiebreaker. Herriman intentionally scheduled a brutal non conference schedule (and paid a price in injuries and concussion to some key players). Why should we reward teams who schedule only confidence building easy teams?

• Dodger60 Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 11:52 a.m.

It is clear as can be that Pig has a son living in Syracuse that tried to play football and failed. Probably a "10 play kid" back when he was 10.
    Syracuse is well coached and has a good QB. Their line is undersized, on both sides of the ball but they give 100% on every play. Don't believe me? Ask last years Bingham team about that goal line stand. It was last year. However, all but one of those d-linemen are back.
    Bingham is, and should be the prohibitive favorite this year. Syracuse will need a great game to beat Lone Peak.
    But Pig, your comments show a lot more about you than they do the Titans.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 1:19 p.m.

Dodger: Not that last year means diddly squat this year, but you also forget in that goal line stand last year, Bingham's QB was playing with a torn up ankle, and barely able to walk let alone run. Region 1 will be lucky to get 1 team in the quarters.

• Sorryboutdat south jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 1:25 p.m.

Big Benzo
    You actually have the same picks i like.
    We will see pretty fast which conferences are stronger and weaker than expected.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 1:41 p.m.

goaggies1 and Dodger60

You say Syracuse is well coached and has a good QB. Some reality now.

Look at the Offensive Stats in Region 3 and 4. Then compare them to Cuse Offensive Stats. It will make you guys think different of the Cuse coaches and Offensive. Even the Syracuse QB stats compared to your own Region 1 looks embarrassing. Your QB has the least yards combined Passing and Rushing of Region 1 QBs in the Playoffs. Watch the Lone Peak QB on Friday he will put up some numbers on the Titans.

Don't plan on going to RES, and if you get lucky again; Bingham will do what Jordan did last year to the Cuse. Just telling the truth about Cuse, nothing personal.

• play where you live clinton, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 2:01 p.m.

I don't know what happens in other areas of the state but in my area of the state, Davis County, there is major recruiting going on. Syracuse High School recruits players from other schools boundaries, they have no fear of the UHSAA. I guess as long as you fill the paperwork out right you are ok. Even if you don't (see East High last year) you will still be ok. It is sad these unethical coaches cannot just play with the players in their boundaries, it has become an all out recruiting war. Some of the teams that are not in the tournament are doing things right and not recruiting, yet they miss out on state playoffs and competitive games to watch for thier students and parents. Does anyone else care about this??

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 29, 2013 2:30 p.m.

@JDigger24
    Riverton will never give Bingham a challenge, the triple option, wing T or whatever they run feeds right into the teeth of Bingham's defensive schemes, when was the last time Riverton beat Bingham? You keep saying they better not sleep or fall behind or whatever against such and such team, they've already done that!! and yet here they are undefeated the #1 team in the state!!!, you better hope and pray Jordan doesn't meet Bingham again in the playoffs.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 3:07 p.m.

Yes it is a big problem. The UHSAA needs to find a way to monitor it better and take action against schools that are recruiting. Any student that plays for a school that is not inside the boundary of where they live should get background checked and communication checked for illegal communcation between coaches and parents and be banned from playing. It's running rampant and ruining the competitive nature of the game.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 3:15 p.m.

@crazyfam10 - You are correct...no coin toss was needed. The region simply applied two separate tie breakers. Since all four teams were 4-2 in region...the first tie breaker applied was "wins versus tied opponents". Herriman and Riverton each had two wins and Lone Peak and Pleasant Grove had one win. This created a tie for first place between Herriman and Riverton and a tie for third place between Lone Peak and Pleasant Grove. The head to head tie breaker was then applied. Herriman had beat Riverton and Lone Peak had beat Pleasant Grove which resulted in the seeds as the now stand.

I am expecting a 3 to 1 and possibly 4 to 0 Region 4 advantage over Region 1
    I am expecting a 4 to 0 Region 3 advantage over Region 2

Herriman vs Brighton; Jordan vs Pleasant Grove; and Lone Peak/Syracuse vs Alta should be some awesome quarterfinal games!!!

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 3:29 p.m.

Region 3, including my Diggers recruits ALOT. Probably why we're all going to RES. Also I think every team that has won state in the last 10 years are known recruiters....

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 4:11 p.m.

Jarka-rus
    Actually I'm hoping/praying Jordan plays Bingham, cause it would mean Jordan made it to the State Finals.
    Honestly tho, at this point, I would consider it a huge success if Jordan even gets a trip to RES. Just love that atmosphere and you gotta love leaving work early to go watch football.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 4:47 p.m.

PigSkin, if you have followed Cuse all year that's what we have been telling you. Our quarterback has been hurtttttttttt for the first 4 games of the season. Yeah, that's why his passing numbers are down. Guess what, he had a deep thigh bruise and that's why his running yards are bad as well. Brock Andersen from last years team did have big numbers as well compared to the rest of the state. He was efficient with what he did. Cole does the same thing. Takes what is given. Thats why hisnumbers aren't very high and we don't expect him to keep up with everyone in the state. Just be consistant is what we ask for. Thanks for telling us stuff we have been trying to tell you being a Pig Skin Fan. Thanks again for your insight.

• Prep Fan 89 Draper, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 6:58 a.m.

JDigger24 - Jordan has a paved smooth road to the semis, so don't pat yourselves on the back for making it to RES. It is a foregone conclusion as far as I am concerned, the brackets lined up well for you guys.

Big Benzo - your upsets crack me up. We will see how many Region 4 teams even make it to the quarters, let alone upset teams to get to the semis.

Four things you can bank on right now. 1. Herriman won't be at RES. 2. Davis cannot beat Jordan. 3. Riverton cannot beat Bingham. 4. Alta is the only question mark of whether it will be an all Region 3 semifinal. Bingham, Jordan, and Brighton show up at RES sleep walking, this year's tourney is weak!

• JD Books Sulphurdale, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 7:53 a.m.

SS Rams aren't getting any love after upsetting the two most storied programs in all of 2A, San Juan and Millard. They will be in the mix come trophy day!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 30, 2013 8:07 a.m.

It seems to me that there are way too many classifications and too many teams make the playoffs in Utah. Bingham plays a 4-5 west team in the first round. I would think that 4 classifications would be perfect. Here in Washington, you better take first or second in your region to make the playoffs. Most teams in state have no more than 2 loses. No team with a losing record goes to state here.

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 9:38 a.m.

Spokane Ute,

No Doubt there are too many teams...too many teams are rewarded for winning 2 region games, rather than a complete season. No way a 2-8 or 1-9 teams should be in the playoffs like 3A. In 5A you have a 4-6 teams that have no business in the playoffs, and teams like AF who are out! That's not right.

Don't get me started with how unbalanced the Regions are in 5A. I think the top three teams from each region get in, with the Region Champs getting a bye in the first round. This year would look like this:

C-wood @ Brighton winner plays Herriman
    Hunter @ Jordan winner plays Davis
    Lone Peak @ Syracuse winner plays T-ville
    Northridge @ Riverton winner plays Bingham

That or I wouldnt have a problem with a seeding process...

#1 Bingham, #2 Davis, #3 Herriman, #4 Taylorsville, #5 Brighton, #6 Syracuse, #7 Riverton, #8 Hunter, #9 Jordan, #10 Lone Peak, #11 C-wood, #12 Northridge, #13 Pleaseant Grove, #14 Alta, #15 Layton, #16 West

• Defensive end Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 9:54 a.m.

Pig Skin

You obviously know nothing about Syracuse. Go Aggies also left out the fact that Tracy has not played more than 3 quarters the last 4 games because of what the Syracuse coaches see as large halftime leads. They don't run scores up in Region 1 like the Salt Lake schools do. The coaches also do a pour job of turning in stats to to Deseret News. The stats you are seeing are not even close to the real stats. They tried early in the year to let Fonua play mostly defense and in the Davis game he touched the ball on 1 offensive play. He has averaged almost 200 yards of total offense since. He is one of the most explosive players in the state. I have not seen Lone Peak play and wont pretend to know anything about them. Stats are only a small indication of how good a team really is.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Keep on discounting what Alta will do, but really ballcoach, how can you put Alta as a 14 seed? They will kill your #4 seed Taylorsville, they had Bingham, Jordan, and Brighton all in close games they could've won, and they beat Lone Peak without even playing starters most of the second half.
    If there were seeds this is how I'd put them.
    Bingham, Brighton, Jordan, Davis, Alta, PG, Herriman, Riverton, Syracuse, Lone Peak, Northridge, Layton, Hunter, Taylorsville, CW, West.
    It will be an all Region 3 semi's. Even the Region 1 coaches admit their region is down, Region 4 could get one in with some luck, and Region 2 is pathetic.

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 10:38 a.m.

Defensive End-Salt Lake teams don't run up the scores. We just actually have offenses that can put up points......

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 11:00 a.m.

Defensive End: Please show me where a team ran the score up. Region 1 may realize that no offense in that region is good enough to come back from 14 pts down, so that is what they consider a "safe lead". But here in the valley where we actually have offenses, 14 pts isn't safe. Like I said in an earlier post, Bingham is usually up 40 pts by half against the poorer teams. At that point, you don't see a starter the rest of the game. Just because you see a 42-0 game, don't assume they "ran the score up". That 42 pts came mostly in the first qtr. Again, the offenses in Region 1 are happy with 21 pts, so that may be a safe lead. That's not the case with real teams that are able to put up 42 pts.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 11:26 a.m.

Lots of excuses why the Cuse Offensive does not put up big numbers. I have more for you lack of Offensive creativity that Region 3 and 4 have, size and talent. Region 2 won't make out of the first round and Region 1 won't make it out of the second round. All Region 3 at RES. Region 4 might sneak one in PG or Herriman. Still Region 3 Final. Bingham wins State easily.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 12:31 p.m.

pig skin fan, I agree that Bingham should win the title, but I don't think they are that much better than everyone else. Yes they are better, and better coached, but crazy things happen in the playoffs and there are enough good teams out there who could end up on top this year. I agree it's a Region 3 semi-finals, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan is in the title game. Alta could knock off Bingham, could. Can't wait for it all to start. PG vs Davis should be a doozy, I'm picking PG in a close one. PG seems to know how to win the close games.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 12:48 p.m.

Plyxply: I give Alta a ton of credit for how they came out against Bingham last week. But honestly I really do think the Bingham team overlooked them a bit, and came out flat. I don't think the coaches did, but the players definitely did. It's a rivalry game, so anything can happen. But I really think that first half was a huge wake up call to that Bingham squad. I don't think you'll see them overlooking anybody in the playoffs. And I think they just have too much talent to let what happened in that first half happen again. I think it woke a sleeping giant.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 30, 2013 2:53 p.m.

Those of us who have seen the Bingham/Alta games for the past 10-15 years know that this years Alta team is a shadow of what they have been in the past, no wonder the 9-0 kids at Bingham who hadn't had a real challenge since the Valor game, would have a slight hiccup that they would just walk out and whoop their cans, Alta played great yes but when Bingham finally woke up it was business as usual, nobody can hang with them for 4 quarters. Coach Peck certainly fired up his team at half time but it was actually the taunting actions right before the half by #65 on Alta's O-line that gave Bingham the wake up call they needed. Memo to any team Bingham faces in the playoffs, keep your ego in check.
    Everybody's got a game plan until they get punched in the mouth!

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 3:00 p.m.

I hope Taylorsville comes out and rolls Alta so we don't hear any more all region 3 semi's and final. Taylorville do all of us a favor and beat Alta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 30, 2013 3:49 p.m.

@goaggies1
    the same T-ville team that got rolled by West? Who will get rolled by Bingham by 50 ?

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 4:29 p.m.

Bingham had several "real" challenges before Alta. Keep in mind they started out loosing to both Brighton and Jordan.

• johnny pigskin Sandy, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 4:41 p.m.

I like Bingham, but don't forget about Brighton? They have a big line and 2, yes 2 very good backs,one being in 9th grade and Osa Musina being recruited by a bunch of D1 programs. Jordan could get hot as well, though they will need to put up a bunch of points to hold off one of these teams. I also like Herriman as a dark horse, tough probably not quite there yet?

4A East is one,Timp/Logan two, dark horse Olympus *see Herriman

• justfacts4u Sandy, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 8:13 p.m.

@goaggies1

I as well am picking a stunner in first round. I think Jordan (sorry Beetdiggers) and or Alta have a bigger challenge in front of them. Yeah, sure it's easy to overlook a poor region, but you can't discredit them completely. Let's be realistic, neither Alta or Jordan has been consistent week to week, and who do you think will have more hype going into this game? I see Taylorsville along with Hunter playing UP to Alta's and Jordan's level and squeaking out an upset. Taylorsville is far more likely, as Hunter usually ends up beating themselves.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 9:47 p.m.

Get real Region 2 will be similar to last year out the first round. No question! Region 1 and 4 very similar chance to the second round. Region 3 will go all the way.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 11:00 p.m.

Outside of Valor, who was the "real" challenge for Bingham? Bingham often starts out giving up a first drive TD. And Brighton actually was down 7-0 I believe and then went down and tied it up. 7-0 doesn't constitute a challenge. It constitutes their defense getting dialed in on what the offense is doing.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 7:54 a.m.

One word to describe each 5A region.

Region 1. ---Mediocre
    Region 2. ---Weak
    Region 3. --- Dominating
    Region 4. ---Tenacious

Region 3. Rolls to State Champions. End of 2013 football season!

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 8:51 a.m.

Taylorsville deserves one more shout out before their game tomorrow with Alta. These boys have worked hard all year to get to this point of the season. They have the weapons both offensively and defensively to shut down Alta. There is not a lineman on Alta's team that can block Mori Savini one on one or double team. If Alta does double team Mori that will leave someone with one blocker. Don't kid yourself, Taylorsville is big and fast and can mess with game plans. Taylorsville has nothing to lose playing Alta. Alot of people have Alta beating Taylorsville already and are moving them to the semi's to play Bingham. That is enough fuel for a coach like Rod Wells to motivate his team to play hard tomorrow. Rod and his coaching staff had done a great job this year getting their boys ready to play. The game against West ment nothing. They needed to rest their boys and that's what they did. Rod, Mori and the rest of the Taylorsville team are a bunch of studs and ready to give Alta the business tomorrow. Magic happens!! Go Taylorsville!!!!!

• liff Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 9:48 a.m.

I know nothing about Taylorsville except they have had a great year. They should be proud of their success. 2 years ago, Syracuse, a 4 seed, we're told they had no chance against powerhouse Alta. defense can't hold hawks down. Guess what? 16-10 Titans. Last year, Titans, 1seed, couldn't stop the hawks, too much offense, defense too small. Result, Titans win again. Just sayin, Play your game and don't believe the hype. There is a reason they are a 4 seed.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 10:08 a.m.

Liff,nicely said. Go Taylorsville!!!!!!!

• 3A Football Fan Tooele, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 11:27 a.m.

@ Spokane Ute.

"It seems to me that there are way too many classifications and too many teams make the playoffs in Utah."
    In Washington, there are also 6 classifications. 88 teams making the playoffs.

"Here in Washington, you better take first or second in your region to make the playoffs."
    Not true. Take a look at the brackets. There are #4 and #5 seeded teams all over with some districts sending their #6 place teams.

"Most teams in state have no more than 2 loses. No team with a losing record goes to state here"
    Again, not true. Check the records. 88 teams do not have 2 or less losses, and, yes, there are teams with losing records that make the playoffs.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 7:54 a.m.

Just a fun time seeing teams advance and the agony of defeat. RES is the best place to see the tourney. Can't wait see the East vs Logan and Brighton vs Jordan rematch and Bingham vs Alta rematch. And then there was four at RES.