Utah

Gov. Herbert: Lessons for Sen. Lee, other Republicans to learn from shutdown

Comments

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 29, 2013 6:21 a.m.

Gov Herbert is right, Sen Lee doesn't deserve all the blame for the shutdown. Sen Cruz gets some of it too.

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    Oct. 28, 2013 9:21 a.m.

Standing up for your beliefs means voting for the bills with which you agreee and against those with which you disagree, NOT holding the government (or the people who depend on it) hostage if the Senate doesn't vote the way that you want.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 4:59 p.m.

Here is more truth:

Obama refused to compromise.

Reid refused the compromise,

The extreme left controlling the democrat party refused to compromise.

Lee and Crus offered compromises to fund the government and to end the stalemate.

Obama and the extreme left democrat party refused any compromise, And continued to blame theor most ardent opponents for everything.

Further more, Obama instructed federal employees to make the shutdown as painful on the American people as possible which included bullying 90 year old WW2 vets.

The establishment GOP worrying more about elections and gaining power and favor, political expediency, than doing what is right for the American people also attacked those same people.

The useless GOP establishment got their way, and they compromised.

And now we hear from he equally shameful Utah GOP establishment, who care amore about their party than the American people or citizens of Utah.

Lee and Cruz are right.

And are true American heroes.

• LelandTC West Valley City, 00
    Oct. 25, 2013 4:21 p.m.

According to an article I read from a Harvard Professor, It would have been Obama's call to default, not Congress'. Although the 14th Ammendment requires the President to pay all our debt. The article specified that there would be enough money to pay for 2/3rds of the government's obligations without raising the debt ceiling. President Obama would have had to determine which programs would be cut back. I am not sure if he would have been up for the task, but he would have been required by law to pay on the national debt first. Obama's claim that the government would default on that debt was a lie. Why Congress didn't call him on it is puzzling to me. Boehner gave up the only wedge Congress had to press not only for defunding Obamacare, but for a balanced budget as well. In January we may see the whole thing played out again, because the Democrats will not budge on their programs even to balance the budget. Why would they? They can blame it all on the Republican House for shutting down the government... Congress needs to put their foot down and just say "NO".

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 25, 2013 1:42 p.m.

lost in DC,

"So why do you support BO"? Ummmm who said I did (other than you)? I by no means love everything this current president has done. I think the key thing that the current folks on the far right fail to understand is the definition of compromise. See if you and I were to comprise you would get a little of what you want and lose a little of what you want, I would do the same. Together we would agree on what the middle ground looked like. The current republican definition of compromise is I will tell you that I am giving up something, and I will tell you what you need to give up. I don't really view that as compromise. I don't love the ACA, but it does some good things, and quite frankly I haven't seen the republicans come up with a legitimate plan to resolve the health care crisis and yes we have one.

As I said before I am a compassionate conservative, which at this point makes it hard for me to be a republican or a democrat.

By the way I support all Presidents of the United States.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Oct. 25, 2013 1:33 p.m.

Re:LostinDC
    Before the shutdown, Democrats in both the House and Senate agreed to keep current spending/sequestration levels despite being opposed to those levels. So to say Dems or Obama weren't willing to compromise is just false. Additionally--Senate Democrats had asked House leaders numerous times to conference with them on the budget between March and the shutdown to no avail.

Clearly the plan by the Tea Party caucus, led by Cruz and Lee, was to avoid real negotiation but use the budget and debt ceiling deadlines as extra leverage to force the Senate and Pres. Obama, to delay/defund Obamacare. It was a reckless, irresponsible, ignorant plan and has damaged Republican's standing among a majority of voters.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Oct. 25, 2013 12:01 p.m.

Re:holymoly
    "I don't doubt Clinton came up with it in her Primaries."

Setting the record straight.

It was not Hillary or her campaign staff that floated the birther conspiracy.

That theory first emerged in the spring of 2008, as Clinton SUPPORTERS circulated an anonymous email questioning Obama’s citizenship.

But while the identity of the First Birther is lost to the mists of chain email, one of the first to put his name to the theory was Phil Berg, a former Pennsylvania deputy attorney general who had spent the previous years accusing President George W. Bush of complicity in the Sept. 11 attack.

Berg filed a complaint in federal District court on Aug. 21, 2008, that alleged, “Obama carries multiple citizenships and is ineligible to run for President of the United States. United States Constitution, Article II, Section 1.”

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 11:55 a.m.

Bungalow,
    Facts are not changed by opinion polls. Just because the majority of people believed the earth was flat did not make it so. Just because the majority of physicians once believed draining a patient of their blood cured them did not make it so.

The facts are the GOP house passed legislation to keep the government open and harry would not allow it to be voted on in the senate and BO threatened to veto it.

You say Lee needs to be rehabilitated because he refused to compromise and reach across the aisle. Why do you not say the same thing about harry and BO? They refused to compromise and reach across the aisle.

holymoly,
    The larger point is I hear nothing but criticism from liberals and the media every time we elect the GOP to ANY position.

Does the GOP bear some blame? Sure, for being so naïve they didn’t recognize that the DNC and their MSM tools would blame them for a crisis BO and harry created. See second paragraph above.

• RedWings CLEARFIELD, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 11:39 a.m.

Governor Herbert is not falling in line with Mike Lee's thinking! He must be a socialist!! We need to gert rid of him in the primary election!!!

(Said dripping with sarcasm....)

• holy moly Herrmian, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 11:01 a.m.

@lost in DC

I think you are missing my point. I was making the point the Tea Party propagated the Birth Certificate fiasco. I don't doubt Clinton came up with it in her Primaries.

The larger point is I hear nothing but criticism from our conservative base every time we elect a Democrat president, but I see similar things when we have a Republican president.

Vacation Days so far (In same time frame): Obama:96, Bush2:367, Clinton:84, Reagan:180
    Percent change in total debt: Reagan: 218%, Bush1: 55%, Clinton: 37%, Bush2: 86%, Obama: 34%. Disregarding percentages, Obama takes the lead in total debt accumulated with 6 trillion versus Bush2 at 5 trillion.
    Presidents Asked to provide a birth certificate: Reagan: no, Bush1: no, Clinton: no, Bush2: no, Obama: yes
    Parties who would not compromise on Debt Ceiling: Democrats: yes, Republicans: yes
    Obama is taxing us to death (Tax rates by president for Single, 50,000 income, inflation-adjusted): Reagan:19%, Bush1:18.9%, Clinton:18.9%, Bush2:17.2%, Obama: 17.1%

I don't think the independent voter will be won over by the Tea Party as long as their message is "This is Obama's fault."

• sg newhall, CA
    Oct. 25, 2013 10:16 a.m.

Good ol' boys like hatch and herbert make those of us who love our country and disgusted by 'politics as usual' disenchanted with the GOP. It is no longer that "Grand" of a party. It is disfunctional. It mirrors the exact misrepresentation that the democrat/socialist party exhibits. There are not a whole lot of differences between the two. The people are fed up with both parties and the fact that even the GOP stalwarts are dissing Tea Party members as 'crazies' is unbecoming an elected representative. Perhaps it is time a third party is formed. I for one am tired of the likes of Hatch and his rhetoric. In my opinion, he has been in the Senate 25 years too long and now enjoys all the perks and benefits and power that is granted to said position. Is it deserving? No. Serve for a term and then re-enter the workforce.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 8:40 a.m.

Fred44,
    The founders compromised. did BO or harry? NO!! as for pledging sacred honor, for harry or BO to do so, they would need some. You say you support reasoned principled people who work together to solve problems – so why do support BO? He is NOT reasoned, NOT principled, and unwilling to work with anyone who does not just go along with what he wants

Dot,
    So rather than refute their claims, you just say they are out with them. I guess that’s because you cannot refute what they say.

Holymoly,
    You question from 7:15 was answered – it was the Hillary campaign.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 8:40 a.m.

This is disingenuous headline. Judging from the text, the DN is putting words in Herbert’s mouth. The very first quote from Herbert they include says blame goes all around, but the DN’s headline says Herbert is placing blame solely on Lee and the repubs. Starting your campaign for Lee’s opponent a little early, aren’t you, DN?

The repubs did not attempt to shut down government, they attempted to defund obamacare, which the dems used as an excuse to shut down the government so their tools in the media could scare the ill-informed about a debt default and blame the GOP.

DN, stop lying about a debt default – there is more than enough revenue to service the debt.

Utexmom, bungalow, mcdugall, Sophie62, NeilT
    See second paragraph above. And bungalow, obamacare is INSURANCE, not health care. Their efforts do nothing to stop healthcare.

Mcdugall,
    10 X enough for debt service is enough for essential services AFTER debt service.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 8:28 a.m.

A gee bungalow, in 1814, the founding fathers did default on the federal government debt.

• psalms91 olivehurst, CA
    Oct. 25, 2013 8:26 a.m.

i love the fact those two people stood up and said no to obamacare i wish we had 100 more like them

• holy moly Herrmian, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 7:45 a.m.

@the truth

I wanted to understand our differences... I claimed Tea Party prior talking points have included:

Obama has no birth certificate, was Muslim, caused the recession, is a Socialist, Wants American society to collapse, Is a lazy president because he takes vacations, Wants to eliminate the second amendment, is responsible for the debt, etc."

You claim I am wrong and instead... Obama is a Communist, aligns himself with terrorists, takes lavish vacations and hosts lavish parties, Obama has caused our recession to endure, wants extreme Gun Control and is against individual liberties in every aspect of our lives.

Here is where we disagree:
    I believe Obama is not a communist. I believe he is against terrorism, I believe in 2008 the policies Bush/Obama implemented might have squelched a potential Depression. I believe decreased regulation in the banking industry helped create the bubble/recession. I believe the endurance of the recession has been caused in part from Americans not saving. I believe *most* of the legislation Obama proposes regarding gun control are reasonable, especially improved background checks. I do not believe Obama wants to take away my liberties.

When can we talk about the Debt?

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 7:31 a.m.

The tea party planned it for unfair leverage. Senator Lee should resign. The Governor just doesn't want to be harassed.

• holy moly Herrmian, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 7:15 a.m.

@Doogie & @the truth

If you are suggesting Tea Party/Libertarian candidates did not propagate the ideas Obama had no birth certificate, or that he was fighting against our second amendment rights, or that he was not a Christian, etc... then we disagree. I am happy to listen to you, but I am remembering the last presidential campaigns differently than either of you.

If the Tea Party wasn't propagating these ideas, who was? Are you suggesting the liberal media? If so, why were the Tea Party candidates aligning themselves with these ideas? If what you are saying is true, the Tea Party needs to refocus its message because all I hear is constant criticism of Obama. I would love to hear from the Tea Party, real solutions for our debt problem, but don't preface our discussion with how terrible Obama is.

At least I find solace in the fact that it appears neither of you as apparent conservatives agree with any of the talking points such as the birth certificate, Obama's after our 2nd amendment rights, Obama's no Christian, Obama caused our debt problems, etc... since you were adamant in rejecting my claims.

• Baron Scarpia Logan, UT
    Oct. 25, 2013 6:18 a.m.

We'll ladies and gentlemen, with so much support noted here for Cruz and Lee on this thread, all I can say is that this will encourage them to do their mischief once again after the first of the year when the budget will be on the table again... I'd expect we'll be back to another economic crisis. The future looks very unstable.

Sadly, the GOP has become a loose cannon that will continue to create economic showdown and crisis again and again, making it hard for businesses to have assurances about the future to invest in new products/technologies, hire people, and make plans for profits going forward.

With ObamaCare in place, at least businesses can work with it and made decisions accordingly. With the GOP's next mischief to try to change everything again, the GOP will jeopardize business investments and decisions... what we need is stability and less risk in politics and the market.

The GOP, unfortunately, add risk and instability in the marketplace, making it hard to move forward in America's economic recovery.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 25, 2013 5:58 a.m.

banderson,

What I stand for a reasoned principled men and women who work together to solve the problems of America. I realize those are short supply if they even exist on either side of the aisle. I consider myself a compassionate conservative which in the past made me part of the republican party. But in the last five years ago, the republican party has left me.

I voted for Ronald Reagan, and I believed in "trickle down" economics. However 30 years later, not much has trickled down. This has been a great 30 year period for the wealthy and a bad thirty year period for the middle class and the poor. We have debt we cannot sustain, we have a healthcare problem that was there before the Affordable Healthcare Act. We have a jobs problem, we have a trade imbalance that needs to be corrected, etc. etc. and we don't have anyone in Washington that cares as much about the American people as they do their political career.

If I had my way I would get rid of all 535 members of congress and start over. Something has to change and Lee and Cruz are not change.

• justamacguy Manti, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 10:54 p.m.

I'm voting Lee...

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 10:27 p.m.

Fred 44: However you view Mike Lee or Ted Cruz, I'd be interested in what you stand for that is any different than what has already been espoused and tried by the Democratic and Republican parties that has done nothing except destroy liberty and pushed us to a debt load that will ultimately destroy our country. Any takers! Something has to change, but if you think that change is going to come from a democratic or republican leader, you need to look at the facts.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 8:14 p.m.

MGB Which party controls the House of Representatives? The shutdown accomplished absolutely nothing and punished hard working Americans who were caught in the middle. The tragedy of all of this is that Republicans had an opportunity to fix the health care crisis when their party was in power and chose to do nothing. And yes their is a crisis. Name one other product or service that is so expensive it would bankrupt 95% of the population if they had to pay for it their own pocket. Millions of Americans priced out of health care and denied insurance due to circumstances behind their control is not the common good.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Oct. 24, 2013 8:09 p.m.

Perhaps they had no chance of achieving their stated goals, but it worries me that Democrat and Republican alike - for the most part, seem to have no difficulty with constantly raising the debt ceiling. We're out of money -- no problem, we'll raise the debt limit. Government workers want yet another raise -- no problem, we'll raise the debt limit. We've thrown a few billion dollars at the AFA and it doesn't work, no problem, we'll just spend more money and eventually it has to work.

Someone comes along -- trying something, anything, to get spending under control and now, we're not sure about them anymore -- they dared to tell the emperor that his entire system was exposed and now we must turn our backs on them, and of course, raise the debt limit.

• MGB Saint George, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 7:46 p.m.

Lee and Cruz have no fault in the shutdown. They both supported the original constitutionally passed funding bill passed by the House. It was Harry Reid,the Senate Democrats, Obama, and many RINO Republicans who would rather shut down the government then see Obama care defunded. Gov. Herbert is as uninformed as most of the people about the constitutional process of funding or not funding certain acts or laws. It all originates in the House of Representatives.

• Rebel ,
    Oct. 24, 2013 7:41 p.m.

You are always a winner when you do what is right. You may not always be a winner financially . Mike has the courage to do what is right. Thanks Mike

• Sophie 62 spring city, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 7:00 p.m.

Those of you posting in favor of Lee and Ctuz were not, I'll bet, among the people who lost serious money because of their shenanigans.
    The little power trip they went on hurt so many people. Thousands in this state alone, if not millions nationwide. Do they, and you, really believe they're the only ones with principles? If that's what you and they think, then you aren't paying attention.

There's another side to this debate besides the Tea Party's, and it has just as much validity (in my opinion far more) than the far conservative side.
    The 'Comapssionate Conservatism' that used to be part of the Republican Party is blasted to smithereens by the likes of Cruz and Lee, and apparently most of you.
    I wonder what Jesus thinks of the extreme right Republican lack of caring for the less fortunate. It bears no resemblance to the Christianity I was raised with and which even now comes from the pulpit at Conference.

• Dot Smithfield, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 6:59 p.m.

Looks like the Tea party is out again with all their rhetoric. Either that, or the Democrats are writing letters, acting as Tea Partyers, supporting Lee so he will get re-elected next time. And to compare them to the founding fathers --- good grief! Ask the people who have businesses in Federal park areas in the State that lost tons of money during the shutdown, and others who won't get back wages, how happy they feel about their tactics.....

• kattawn ,
    Oct. 24, 2013 5:37 p.m.

I whole-heartedly support Senator Lee. Only 17% of the entire federal government was "shut down" during this period. Unfortunately it affected Utah alot because so much of our state is under federal control. I'm so disappointed by Senator Hatch's actions in the argument against Obamacare. He is not willing to stand up for regular Americans at all.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 24, 2013 5:29 p.m.

For the record the founding fathers went behind closed doors to hammer out the constitution. None of them got everything they wanted, they had to compromise, and NONE of them played political games for the public like Lee and Cruz did with their non filibuster whatever it was.

From the Declaration of Independence "we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor." These were men who understood the magnitude of the moment and rose to it. Lee and Cruz failed to understand the magnitude of the moment, they chose to play politics rather than be part of something great. They chose to shine the spotlight on them, they chose to be part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

I wish for true patriots who were willing to pledge their sacred honor to resolve the problems of this country.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 5:28 p.m.

@holy moly

Before you make outlandish and obviously false claims about the tea party, you should get the facts first.

The tea party DOESN'T care about obama's birth certificate, that came from the hilary Clinton primary campaign,

They DON'T care about his religion, though Obama has brought the radical muslim group the Muslim Brotherhood into his administration, and allies himself with muslim terrorists and wants to send arms to them in syria,

Obama isn't a socialist, but a revolutionary Marxist, and certainly a communist, which isn't surprising since his parents and grandparents are communist,

Not lazy, but does take rather lavish vacations and hosts lavish parties while the americam people are suffering,

Obama didn't cause the recession but has allowed it to endure with his economic policies.

Obama Is against the second amendment and want extreme gun control,
    Obama is against individual liberty and for big government control in every aspect of our lives,
    (uses the IRS to bully, used NSA to spy on the american people, and renewed the patriot act, taxies heavily)

Obama is responsible for his portion of the debt,

Tea party is right.

• JayTee Sandy, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 5:25 p.m.

So people like Herbert and Hatch join with the liberals in concluding that Mike Lee and Ted Cruz caused the Barry-Harry "shutdown" (slowdown) of government. Give me a break. What we have is a bunch of old dog RINOs who think they're going to win more elections by being liberal-lite. They're so concerned about their reputation that they don't have one. What they DO have is a great fear of criticism from naive and ignorant citizens who are jumping to side with the socialistic/communistic liberals, who in turn believe that government should monitor and control every facet of every living thing. And let's quit calling these people "progressives." I know they prefer that name, but their REGRESSIVE policies are eroding and destroying everything good we have here and every hope for a brighter future. Their ideas and philosophies have been routinely and repeatedly proven wrong throughout history. I say let's get some new blood in government . . . people who can actually recognize that we're in trouble when we're $17,000,000,000,000 in the hole and have a president who hates the Constitution and history of the United States.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 4:54 p.m.

Lee and Cruz will be footnotes of idiocy and to compare them to the founding father shows a an ignorance of history.

Madhatters and egotistical men with nothing to offer but radio interviews and partisan baloney.

Boener's last minute rule change, wasn't sneaky or underhanded at all.

A man with character would act the same in his personal life as his professional.
    Lee has proven to be more interested in Fame than fiscal responsibility at home and in Washington.

• dave4197 Redding, CA
    Oct. 24, 2013 4:46 p.m.

Lee and Cruz remind me of the Charley Brown cartoon of the football set to kick.

Lee and Cruz are not in any league with the founding fathers. Lee and Cruz stunk up the place with their terrible tactics, they need more than rehab, they need to remove their rose colored glasses and actually interact with other people with other ideas in the room. Put away the grenades, Lee and Cruz. Shine up your Biggest Loser trophy, Lee and Cruz.

We can change the ACA, but not by following your recent "bridge to nowhere".

• ssj429 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 4:28 p.m.

It shocks me that individuals in Utah, especially the Deseret News, are so upset at Mike Lee. What Lee did was brilliant. People need to take a step back and look at the big picture, along with the strategy. I won't go into details on here, but if you properly analyze where the attention has come from, and where it was directed, you will realize that this was brilliant. Lee and Ted Cruz also shook up the republican establishment. This is crucial, and it has to be done to spotlight corruption that is occurring there. I think that many people in Utah have a very naive view of the media. They are too trusting. They believe that the media tries to be objective. They believe that there might be a slight bias, but overall they really do care about fair, concerned news. These are the same people who genuinely believe that the media loves mormons as well. I hope people start waking up and realize that the main stream media hates republicans and religious individuals. Wake. up. Utah. And stop blaming conservatives for Romney's lost as well. Blame the democrat party and the media.

• Doogie South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 24, 2013 4:22 p.m.

"Unfortunately, the Tea Party's other talking points have included: Obama has no birth certificate, was a Muslim, caused the economic recession on his first day in office, is a Socialist, Wants American society to collapse, Is a lazy president because he takes vacations, Wants to eliminate the second amendment, is responsible for the entire debt, etc."

This statement shows how misinformed the low information voter is and why the progressives rule the land. I think people ought to educate themselves about what true patriots the the Tea Party is and seek the truth before they regurgitate what the mainstream media says! The reason the Republican party is taking such a hit is that they have no backbone to stand up to the moral and economic decline of our nation. It is business as usual for the Boys in Washington...hopefully not for long!

• aceroinox Farmington, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 4:15 p.m.

Add Governor Herbert to the list of those lacking the courage to stand up to relentless spending by the Federal Government!

First of all, it is worth reminding ourselves that it was not Senators Lee and Cruz who shut down the government--it was President Obama. The President had the option to accept all the compromises that were offered, which funded everything except ObamaCare. The Affordable Care Act was foisted upon the American people (the majority of whom are not in favor of it) in a very sleazy and shady process that included rushing it through so quickly that those voting on it were unable to read the bill and understand what they were voting on.

Secondly, the REAL issue here is not ObamaCare, but the out-of-control spending. Both the GOP and the Democratic Party are responsible, including our dear Senator Hatch, to the tune now of $155,000+ of national debt for every household in America! $155,000!!! That is a runaway, downhill train with no apparent brakes, headed for your house, Governor, and mine, and every Utahn's. When is it OK to get concerned? $200,000/family? $500,000? Be sure to let us know!

• mcdugall Murray, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 4:06 p.m.

@Evets - His beliefs nearly brought the world to a financial catastrophe. There is a huge difference in doing what is right vs your personal beliefs. As a Senator, he is tasked with Representing the needs of Utah's and playing chicken with the world economy does not help any Utahn.

• Evets Eagle Mountain, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 3:39 p.m.

I am disappointed that Gov. Herbert didn't back Lee better. I am proud we have a Senator that stands up for what he believes in.

• holy moly Herrmian, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 3:37 p.m.

The Tea Party has a great talking point that all Americans are worried about... The debt.

Unfortunately, the Tea Party's other talking points have included: Obama has no birth certificate, was a Muslim, caused the economic recession on his first day in office, is a Socialist, Wants American society to collapse, Is a lazy president because he takes vacations, Wants to eliminate the second amendment, is responsible for the entire debt, etc...

If the Tea party wants people to listen to its valid arguments, it should not preface them with hogwash only dittoheads believe.

• mcdugall Murray, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 3:35 p.m.

@The Rock - There was enough money to service the interest payments on the notes but there would be very little left over to pay for basic government services. The question would be, do you default on loan payments or do you pay them and let the government and quite possibly society collapse into chaos?

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 2:30 p.m.

bungalow,

Lee and Cruz remind me of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, Paul Revere, John Adams, and a host of American patriots who put liberty over tyranny and country over self.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 2:16 p.m.

Okay, for the sake of debate, Governor Herbert and Senator hatch, let's say the the Cruz-Lee-Paul-Rubio strategy was wrong.

They HAD a strategy, and were willing to risk their reputations to try to stop Obamacare.

What was the Herbert-Hatch strategy, I missed reading about it?
    Okay, be honest, there was none. The "moderate" Republican strategy is the same it has been for most of Hatch's tenure, quietly say a few mildly critical things somewhere along the process, then quietly surrender to the unyielding demands of the Democrats on every issue.

I endorse Mike Lee and look forward to campaigning for him. I have not made up my mind on Herbert, and opposed Hatch last time!

• Joey D WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 2:13 p.m.

God bless Sen. Lee and Cruz and anyone else of that mind set. May the election of 2014 bring a new class of 'em.

• Spellman789 Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 2:09 p.m.

Things just go from one extreme to another.

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    Oct. 24, 2013 1:57 p.m.

The governor refuses to acknowledge that Senators Lee and others were making a point. That is, that government is out of control and that the latest fiasco is the Affordable Care Act, most infamously, their web site. It certainly is not the only point but just one of the latest. Of course the Governor refuses to say so because it is his party on the hot seat and they are notoriously sensitive to heat. What all Americans should understand that this latest cabal of radical leftists who control of the country is not the only bad guys responsible for this over bloated unaccountable Federal bureaucracy.

• Utexmom Flower Mound, TX
    Oct. 24, 2013 1:52 p.m.

Senator Ted Cruise came home to Texas to a huge crowd who enthusiastically congratulated him. Texans couldn't be more proud of him. He stood up against all odds for what he believed in. I heard a radio host here comparing that to the less than rousing crowd in Utah waiting for Senator Lee. They are stumped as to what Utah believes in.

I have to ask the same question myself: Why does Utah think it was wrong for Senator Lee to stand out as different by standing up for what he believes - even to the extent that the Government was shut down? He didn't do it to shut down the Government. He did it to save the American people from Obamacare and the disgusting side problems that will come with it. We need more people in Government like that! The temporary shut down was a bad thing, but not as bad as when we see all of the problems that will come from Obamacare. I am thankful To Senator Lee and Senator Cruz for what they did.

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 1:45 p.m.

RE: The Rock

Amen!!!

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 1:44 p.m.

I think that Gov. Herbert is right, there is enough blame to go all the way around; For instance, Pres. Obama's absolute refusal to negotiate/compromise on anything. This was also the stand of Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada. This was even after the Republicans scaled back there demands multiple times! I was just pleased to see the state of Utah step up to the bat and reopen the parks. That saved the towns around the parks from total failure, and showed that the state would and could step in when the Feds fell on their collective faces.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Oct. 24, 2013 1:39 p.m.

"The impasse shut down the federal government for more than two weeks and was settled midmonth, on the eve of what would have been the first default on repaying the nation's debt."

I wish the DN would get their facts straight. The government brings in more than 10 times as much money as required to fund the debt service in any given month. The only reason there would have been a default is if the President ignored the constitution (yet again) and chose not to pay our debts.

The constitution requires that this be paid first.