BYU football: Cougars face short week in Friday showdown with Boise State

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 12:50 p.m.

"Byu fans are notorious for thinking their football team is better than they are."

Now if THAT isn't the pot calling the kettle black I don't know what is. I wonder if she actually looked in the mirror and still said that with a straight face.

• Cougartown Harrisville, UT
    Oct. 22, 2013 10:15 a.m.

BYU isn't on Utah's level. They are far above Utah in terms of relevance and athletics- notwithstanding Utah's success vs. BYU in football over the past decade.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 22, 2013 9:10 a.m.

Byu fans are notorious for thinking their football team is better than they are. Hope is one thing, but truly believing an average football team is excellent is quite another. byu is a regional program whose only "national" fanbase is a direct result of religious affiliation. Nothing more. Your coach has never had an undefeated season or top 10 season, has a an abysmal record against quality opponents, and talks about winning national titles. So long as byu fans try and pretend they are on Utah's level I'll be here to remind you that you are not.

• bigirish OREM, UT
    Oct. 22, 2013 4:05 a.m.

I guess the biggest takeaway from the Houston game for me is that we didn't think they'd be that good for a lowly conference (or is it?) and that we can make a ton of mistakes and penalties and still come back barely thanks to some big plays and grinding yardage. Yes, we had some higher stats, and broken records, but it was still a squeaker against a supposedly inferior team. Can we repeat that agains Boise? How do the upcoming Broncos compare to Houston? Is each game so different that we can't make useful comparisons? I know after the game, the talk is always about the winning plays - but as I watched the replay, wow, we gave away a lot to those guys, though they were also very good. I guess we can make an analogy to Abe Lincoln - he lost almost every race he was in except the one for Senate and the one for the Presidency, so I'm told. It was a heart stopper, and I'd rather not have to rent some oxygen for this next one. So I'll use that old car analogy. Can you say "all cylinders?"

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 11:28 p.m.

Chris B

You and other so called Ute fans continue to beat the drum that BYU's football program is irrelevant and has nothing to play for.

And yet, like clockwork, you and your fellow trollers never miss the opportunity to post comment after comment related to all things BYU sports.

Thanks for proving that BYU football is, in fact, still relevant and that they do indeed have something to play for. While the Cougars of Provo don't have a conference title to play for, and their chance to get into a BCS bowl game ended when they lost to Virginia, reading how Ute trollers like yourself and ekute are really irked after another BYU win is almost just as good.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 9:56 p.m.

Boise is a good team and their mobile QB probably makes them more of a threat to win than if they had Southwick but BYU is improving each week and with the offense finally playing close to how they should, I see BYU winning by two touchdowns or more. Penalties and mistakes/turnovers are a worry and IMO would be the only reason BYU would lose.
    I really hope the Utes make it to a bowl game and I hope it is against the Y, the team that wins a game is not always the better team and I think that is the case with the Utes and the Y this year and playing them in a bowl game would give the cougs a chance to prove it. If Hill was playing anything like he is now or how he has played for the last four games the Y would have won the game against the Utes. Let's hope it happens. The Utes may have a problem making it to a bowl though, hope they can pull things together and make it though.

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 2:31 p.m.

Having kids living in both Oregon and Washington who are big Boise State fans. I think people in Utah don't realize that Prosser, Washington and Hermiston, Oregon are BSU hotbeds. Oregon is not by any means all Ducks and Washington is not all Huskies. BSU has a fan base bigger than USU or the U; it truly is a regional school. BSU is a really young team but that doesn't mean its not athletic and competitive.Utah State being the common opponent would indicate a close hard fought game.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 2:14 p.m.

Boise will be tough but they don't have the speed that Houston had and that should make a difference this week. BYU though doesn't have a good record of reacting well to a mobile quarterback.

Taysom getting better each week. BYU by 4

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 21, 2013 1:49 p.m.

This has all the makings for a great game!

BYU must cut down the penalties, win the turnover margin, and limit the big plays. Houston exposed us with a couple of their big plays.

BYU must continue to spread the ball around to the WR, like we did against Houston.

Getting Williams back would be a big plus. He's a gamer.

Hill's passing continues to get better each week. There's still a few head scrathers, but nothing like the first few weeks.

BYU 31, BSU 24

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 12:57 p.m.

Here is a 2 point conversion scenario that might work. Hill takes the deep snap and hands off to Olsen on his right. Olsen starts right, stops, spins to the left and makes a screen pass back to Hill who goes around the left end of the line and into the end zone for the two points.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 21, 2013 12:10 p.m.

This game reminds me a little of Oregon State game last year. Oregon State last year also lost its starting Quarterback Sean Mannion and the backup Cody Vaz replaced him for the BYU blackout game. Like many BYU fans, I thought BYU will come away from that game victorious, but I grossly underestimated how good Vaz was in that game and we got beat though it was close down to the end. I hope that was a learning lesson going into this game against Boise State. The one good news is BYU at least knows a little about this backup Quarterback because he played in the majority of the game against Nevada. Cody Vaz we didn't know much of until we played him. Hope Cougars can recover and they pull it off. Defense needs to step up on this one. Our offense will put up points against Boise State. Hope it's enough. Go Cougars!!!!!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 12:04 p.m.

Please accept that people have different
    opinions on things.
    I want Boise to win and I think that
    they are
    the better team. My comment is not offensive nor does
    it break any of the rules set forth. Please accept that
    I am interested in a Boise win over byu and therefore it is ok
    that I make such comment.
    Thank you.

Go Boise!

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 21, 2013 11:58 a.m.

remember how Utah had a 4 game win streak against BYU in the 2000s.
    Then BYU won 3 out of 4.
    trends and streaks happen good job utes.
    The utes should worry about 0-4, 0-4, 1-3. Not their streak with the Y
    Go Utah Schools

• Y's little brother Sandy, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 11:43 a.m.

At this point, the thought of playing any team in any bowl would be intriguing to U.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 11:31 a.m.

A short week does not bode well, being that they had an entire off season to prepare for Virginia and 2 weeks to prepare for Utah.

Will BSU make it 4-0 vs byu?
    Does 4-0 vs byu sound familiar?

• ogmson Mapleton, Utah
    Oct. 21, 2013 11:30 a.m.

I am truly amused at all the BSU fans who are now scrambling to justify paying $200 bucks for their tickets to the game Friday, by claiming that C Peterson is just not quite as smart as they are.....

Yea, right.

I love BYU's chances in this game....after all, we did give up the game on a coaches decision last year and played 3/4ths of it dead even with a quarterback with a broken back....

What a wimp Southwick must be...a little ankle....

Yep. I love the Cougars opportunity in this game. Our freshman QB did in less than 10 minutes, what Southwick couldn't do in 60.....Score an offensive touchdown.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 11:28 a.m.

Chris B. hopes BSU will win. Now there's a huge surprise. I didn't see that one coming.

She stopped short of marking it down though so I'm not sure who to go with on this one.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 11:27 a.m.

The thought of playing byu in a bowl game certainly is intriguing. I mean, as nice as it is to beat byu 4 times in 4 years, beating byu 5 times in 4 years sounds even better.

Go Boise! Most football fans in Utah(Utes, aggies) will be cheering for you.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 11:00 a.m.

Watch out if BYU can avoid the handful of really big misses. If you subtract the give-aways by BYU in the first quarter the game was not even close. Go Cougs!

@ChrisB. Keep quiet and stick with your Utes comment boards.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 21, 2013 10:54 a.m.

@new to Utah.
    I agree with your thoughts.
    I think BSU D will play well and it will be low scoring. my main concern is Boises backup (super mobile and athletic) if he runs well BYU loses.
    I think the BYU D will come out intense after last week's struggles, but I think BYU pulls this one out.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 21, 2013 10:51 a.m.

@ Chris B
    I think it will be close but BYU wins (odds BYU 7 point favorite)
    Since you comment on BYU
    USC 7 point favorite over the Utes ( I think USC wins)
    I cheer for the Utes but just being honest.
    I would know more about the utes, but I can't watch them. (the only cable tv provider here does not offer the Pac-12 network)
    PLease comment on your own articles. I support Utah on it's articles and the Y on it's own.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 10:39 a.m.

I hope Boise wins, and I think they will.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 10:12 a.m.

I don't think BYU will underestimate Boise. BYU's secondary may be a little suspect. They had an awful time with a freshman QB at Houston. Still BYU certainly has a chance.

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Chris Petersen is a top 5 college coach including two BCS wins. His Broncos will be ready for BYU. After watching the Utah State vs BSU game in Logan with a screaming crowd and a confident Aggie football team get dismantled by BSU's athleticism and intelligence. I'm not expecting a BYU rout. On paper it would appear to be a 21 pt advantage for BYU, home game, Tayson Hill playing great at Houston,excellent receivers,BSU without starting QB. The problem is BYU has not beaten BSU so even completely outmanned BSU still has a chance because of athleticism and a great coach. It should be a BYU victory but it maybe very close. Oklahoma, Oregon, Georgia and other top teams have come up on the short end when playing BSU in recent years.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 9:57 a.m.

That 50 consective winning games in October were mostly weak WAC teams. They lost to Washington and Fresno State in September. Hopefully we will play well against BS so that William will be rested and 100% healthy before facing Wisconsin. Yes Penalties and Turnovers need to be fixed now. And remember 2005 U Bret Ratliff who step in during final game against BYU and won with no problem on his part. Coach Petersen will be ready with his 2nd qb.

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Oct. 21, 2013 9:30 a.m.

So the last two weeks teams have made halftime effective halftime adjustments that have slowed down our offense considerably. What have those adjustments been? Blitz the daylights out of Hill. We all know our O-line is still a work in progress, and sometimes Taysom holds the ball a little too long, both of which combine to make blitzing an effective strategy.

My question is this-why has BYU not used any form of screen pass? I know we were all sick of the WR screen after a few years of Doman, but I haven't seen a normal halfback screen out of BYU in forever. I don't claim to be a football guru, but isn't a screen pass the best way to neutralize a heavy pass rush? I think Hine would be much more effective running a screen pass than trying to slice and dice through the middle...

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Oct. 21, 2013 9:13 a.m.

Cinci- While I agree that a QB running that much is vulnerable to injury, there were NOT 34 QB draws. Most of Taysom's runs were scrambles, 8 were sacks (that IS an issue), and he added about six carries at the end of the game with the kneeldowns and running out the clock. Additionally, he did a much better job of getting out of bounds and getting down before taking hits.

The bigger issue to me is getting Jamaal back. When he is playing, our running game is dynamic and effective. When he is out, our running game is vanilla and ineffective (how many times are we going to run Hine up the middle on first and 10 for no yards?). Hine is an incredible kick-returner, but he lacks the vision and lateral quickness of Jamaal in the rush game.

Additionally, we really missed Bills at safety against Houston, and I hope he is back in. He is a big part of our pass defense, and very good at run support if the RB happens to get to the second level.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 8:10 a.m.

byu wins this going away....37-20

• JP Chandler, AZ
    Oct. 21, 2013 8:06 a.m.

@Texas Ken
    The last 50 games in October aren't all in this season. It's a record that stretches back a decade. Sort of a strange thing to track, but there you go.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 8:03 a.m.

I think the October wins means that they have had 50 October wins over the last few years. In other words, they have always done well in October for a long time. What relevance that has I'm not sure. Honestly, I think the statistics that are kept in sports are hilarious.

• Texas Ken Killeen, TX
    Oct. 21, 2013 7:32 a.m.

How can Boise State "win the last 50 games in October", and have a 5-2 record (3-1 MWC)? First, how can they even play 50 games in one month, much less win that many games? Second, a 5-2 record doesn't make sense with 50 consecutive wins? I think there is a misprint, or the third paragraph needs rewritten.

• Texans for BYU Houston, TX
    Oct. 21, 2013 7:26 a.m.

We had too many penalties called against us in Saturdays game. Fix that 1st. You can't win consistently if you are giving up over 100 yds in penalties.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Oct. 21, 2013 7:12 a.m.

34 QB draws on Saturday? A poster after the game said I was crazy to think that's a negative. I think BYU is living on the edge to think that Taysom Hill is not seriously vulnerable to a season ending injury. The number of QB draws also is indicative that there is not a great running game strategy. and with Williams questionable, it could be a bad sign. Good luck Cougars. I wish you well.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 20, 2013 11:49 p.m.

Hedrick is better than Southwick. I don't know why Chris Peterson, the "Quarterback Whisperer", went with Southwick in the first place.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2013 11:42 p.m.

I agree. BYU must play a clean game without turnovers and penalties. If they do they win, if they don't they lose. BYU seems to be playing with an urgency that I have not seen in awhile.

Good luck Cougs.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 20, 2013 8:01 p.m.

Don't be fooled by the loss of their starting QB. BSU still has a very good defense and the replacement QB looked sensational. He is a dual threat wih excellent wheels and extremely efficient passer. In my opinion, I think he upgrades the position--he has more weapons than Southwick. This is going to be a battle. Mistakes like against Houston and BYU loses this game.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Oct. 20, 2013 7:13 p.m.

Looking forward to doing something that hasn't been done in quite some time by teams from Utah--beat Boise State. BYU has narrowly missed the last two attempts. Hopefully we see s full team effort and the game isn't close.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2013 6:15 p.m.

Boise lost their starting QB. They should be vulnerable. Let's hope the Cougars are hungry and Anae has a good game plan.

Oct. 20, 2013 4:53 p.m.

With the Houston game one of great plays and major mistakes I'm sure BYU will focus on fixing the biggest problems, can't imagine they could fix everything in five days. I do expect BYU to continue to improve so I'm hoping for a win against Boise State. Hope Jamaal and all those beat up players recover soon!

Go Cougars!