Utah

Unbroken's Louis Zamperini delights Sandy crowd with harrowing, humorous stories

Comments

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    Oct. 21, 2013 10:47 a.m.

I've heard parts of his narrative before. He also has a pretty good sense of humour. He related in a talk in SoCali recently that when he was a POW, He was interogated by a group of Japanese Officers one of whom spoke flawless English. That officer was really mean, and goaded him about Running career at USC and then the Berlin Olympics in '36. Zamperini concluded this Officer must have been a UCLA alum. Many Japanese Military and Government Officials pre-WW2, spent time in America. Admiral Yamamoto studied at Harvard and was a Naval Attache in Washington in the 1920s. Baron Takeichi Nishi who won a Gold Olympic Medal at the '32 Olympic Games in Los Angeles and socialized with Hollywood A-listers Mark Pickford and Douglad Fairbanks died on Iwo Jima. General Kuribayshi, the commander of the defense Iwo Jima, in pre-war times, thought Japan and America "would have made splendid Allies".

• gittalopctbi Glendale, AZ
    Oct. 21, 2013 9:17 a.m.

I second everyone's endorsement of the book. It is a fascinating and inspirational read. One of the best books I've ever read.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Oct. 21, 2013 8:01 a.m.

Amazing tidbit of the mother not spending the money in hard times and then sending the money back to the company. You just can't make that type of stuff up. His sense of humor is also hard to fathom.

• jeanie orem, UT
    Oct. 20, 2013 8:10 p.m.

I wish I could have been there. Louis Zamperini is one of the people I would love to meet. His story is incredible.

• SoCalTrueBlue San Diego, CA
    Oct. 20, 2013 3:56 p.m.

"Unbroken" is easily one of the best books I have ever read. Louis Zamperini is a true hero.

• LifeLibertyHappiness Draper, UT
    Oct. 20, 2013 11:54 a.m.

Terrific book and a great example of endurance and turning your life to Christ.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2013 9:38 a.m.

Fantastic book. Inspirational individual!

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Oct. 20, 2013 6:26 a.m.

i highly recommend this book. a true patriot.