Faith

The miracle of a canceled fishing trip

Comments

• Utah Native Farmington, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 11:15 p.m.

I'm so glad this story was written and shared. It's sad to read that some lacking in faith don't see how willing God is to show tender mercies to them, too, if they were only more believing. For those who wonder why "God helps some, but not others, others who end up dying," etc., perhaps we're looking at it from a very limited, mortal, and skewed perspective. Perhaps those on the other side, who have already passed on, are feeling sorry for those of us still struggling here on earth. Also, through His great plan, there will come a time when there will be no more sorrow, and every tear will be wiped away from every bad thing that every happened, because Christ's Atonement, which makes it possible, is that amazing.

• Whos Life RU Living? Ogden, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 8:47 a.m.

"Great story. And to the "scientist" I say, "God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform", and so, don't try to figure it out, nor make life "fair" for everyone."

Doesn't this part bother anyone else "don't try to figure it out".

This comment is an example of why I have turned from religion. Religion makes it virtuous to not understand our world.

In a world where we test and analyze everything to gain understanding, but for some reason the chosen path to a god is to blindly follow. This doesn't add up. We are told that even though the evidence does not match the story it is still the chosen path. It is unfortunate that people have been trained to not question.

If there is a god, he/she/it would not be afraid of your questions or penalize you for doing so.

If god gets credit for stopping the motor, then he also gets credit for stopping the heart. I will not give a deity credit when a problem is created and resolved by the same deity.

• Gemini Australia, 00
    Oct. 21, 2013 8:12 a.m.

Excellent story. We all see better in hindsight. When a series of events occur that in hindsight you can see God's hand in; that is faith not luck. This husband didn't know why he should come home; he could have gone somewhere else; he didn't. He felt he needed to return.
    Some of us are spared misery, pain or death some are not but we can go on to do greater things or we just exist. We are here to receive a body, learn, grow, contribute and make a difference in the world.
    God sees our lives from beginning to end - we make choices that determine which direction our lives will go. ONLY God determines when we return to him. We are sometimes in control of our lives and determine their direction. What changes that direction is someone else's agency (ie: as in a murder, abduction, assault).
    If you don't have faith you see it as luck/intuition. That is the Spirit. Why some things happen is explained in John 9:23."that the works of God should be made manifest".
    It doesn't have to add up to us. We must walk by faith.

• Raeann Peck Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2013 7:59 p.m.

Scientist: Sometimes we get in the way of God's miracles because we choose not to listen or be a part of them.

• djk blue springs, MO
    Oct. 19, 2013 5:50 p.m.

never underestimate situations we do not know why something is not working right. there is a purpose in all things. i trust in our Savior and our Heavenly Father. i listen to the inspiration from the Holy Ghost. yes there have been times I personally have been saved or ended up helping someone else without know why.
    i am grateful this man was at home. i know his wife is grateful also their family

• Raeann Peck Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 4:38 p.m.

It's not so much about the length of each person's journey upon the earth as it is about each personal, loving, living, trusting, interactive relationship with God. It's all about the relationship. The relationship is EVERYTHIMG.

• Dante Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 11:24 a.m.

"All truth is independent in that sphere in which God has placed it, to act for itself, as all intelligence also; otherwise there is no existence. Behold, here is the agency of man, and here is the condemnation of man; because that which was from the beginning is plainly manifest unto them, and they receive not the light."
    --Doctrine and Covenants 93:30-31

• muffintop Layton, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 11:16 a.m.

Can't we all just get along? So you don't believe like I believe and visa versa. Really? Does it really solve anything?

• Latter-day Larry Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 10:00 a.m.

A small poster I once read in an elevator in the LDS Office Building said, "A coincidence is a small miracle in which God has chosen to remain anonymous." A great Church leader once said, "There are no coincidences." I believe it. To believe this requires a faith that is hard-won but which is continually rewarded and continually rewarding.

Not all have such a mindset, nor do some even want it. Their wish is granted. As Paul said, "[T]he the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

Some see the hand of God in the boat motor not starting. Others think that's foolishness. To each his own....

• jeanie orem, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 4:37 p.m.

I have seen evidence of God's protecting power in my life. These instances were of such a nature that I cannot believe they were just coincidence. However, I also understand that I have no talisman in my pocket and could have no such protection another time as I have not been spared from all suffering. I do not see it as good luck, or bad luck, or Zeus or anything other than a loving God who spares me from the things that would be of no worth to me and who does not spare me from those things I need to experience to grow from.

I cannot speak to everyone's experiences, or every world event that includes suffering, but this is what I believe for me.

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    Oct. 18, 2013 4:18 p.m.

First, I totally believe that this (the boat engine not starting) was a blessing from the Lord.

However....what is difficult, at least for me, is recognizing at the time, what events are "the Lord" and what events are just things unfolding all on their own. This is very difficult for me to discern at the time. Usually I can see things more clearly after the passage of time.

• Apocalypse please Bluffdale, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 4:02 p.m.

The essential part of a miracle is for God to intervene in some way. Since God isn't around taking credit you could also replace God in the previous sentence with: Zeus, The Great Spirit, Allah, coincidence, natural laws etc. I'm just happy the woman is ok.

• Born in Bountiful Provo, Utah
    Oct. 18, 2013 1:02 p.m.

So let's just call it "luck" that the motor didn't start. Let's just call it "luck" that he got home to his wife in time to assist her through this life threatening event. Then, let's call it "unlucky" that other people die young, die of heart attacks, or other events beyond their immediate control. The story of the engineer is no less heart warming for those who enjoy heart warming stories. The tragedies of others remain just as tragic and no one has to blame God in either situation. Strange things do happen, luck does seem to happen to some and not to others. Faith is a gift given to some, but not to all. Luck is a gift to some, but obvious not to all. Let's enjoy the gifts we recieve and mourn with those who need our support.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Oct. 18, 2013 12:51 p.m.

kvnsmnsn, teeoh

I don't blame god either. My point is that god has nothing to do with people being saved from death anymore than he has something to do with those who die young or in tragic ways. If he can prevent an older woman from dying of a heart attack, then why wouldn't he also prevent other tragic things from happening to others? I don't think he picks and chooses some to save and lets others perish. I just don't think he has a thing to do with either.

• teeoh Anytown, KY
    Oct. 18, 2013 12:37 p.m.

@Brahmabull,

Why not? Other than the fact that it doesn’t make sense to YOU (or anyone who relies on solely on limited, mortal perspective), why not? Can your thinking not allow the possibility that mortal life is a test, and as part of this test we get bits and pieces of evidence that could sway us one way or another, thereby testing our resolve? I think it’s a beautiful plan, and makes so much more sense than the purposeless atheistic perspective. (And for me, it’s more than just thinking it’s a beautiful plan—I’ve acted on faith enough to have a testimony that continues to grow in strength.)

And no, I don’t know why some die early and needlessly and others don’t. Not understanding that is part of the test. I’ve lost loved ones who have died tragically and very young. I don’t blame God. In fact, my testimony has been strengthened through those difficult experiences.

• kvnsmnsn Springville, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 12:19 p.m.

Brahmabull posted:

=That makes no sense. He allowed this person to survive, meanwhile allows
    =children to be killed and other people to die young. It doesn't add up.

What doesn't add up about it? Is it God's job to preserve the lives of the children and the mentioned young people? Rather, I think God's job is to preserve into the eternities as much good as God can. That doesn't imply that God will keep the children and young people alive.

Kevin S

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Oct. 18, 2013 11:50 a.m.

fowersjl

So god moves in mysterious ways as in... He allows many faithful people to perish in different ways, but some he saves by not stopping the heart attack but by making a motor not start.... That makes no sense. He allowed this person to survive, meanwhile allows children to be killed and other people to die young. It doesn't add up. It is a great story, but I doubt god stopped the trip that morning - it was just a matter of circumstance. Just the same as me leaving work 1 minute late and happening to avoid an accident scene that very easily could have been me had I left a minute earlier.

• baddog Cedar Rapids, IA
    Oct. 18, 2013 11:47 a.m.

@The Scientist

It's easy to doubt when we try to reason with our mortal minds what God does and why He does what He does.

Man's knowledge is a mere piffle compared to His. That's where faith comes into the equation.

• im4kids AUSTIN, TX
    Oct. 18, 2013 10:57 a.m.

"Scientist"
    No, I don't believe God enjoys drama. He does find joy in watching his children serve one another. Since this man was sensitive to his wife's feelings, etc. he was able to take care of her and serve her. I know many people that would have "fought" with the boat, been angry when coming home and not paid attention to the signs of this heart attack.
    I am grateful to see the kindness of others around me. I hope someday you recognize that many times it is God's spirit working through us as we serve our fellow man.

• teeoh Anytown, KY
    Oct. 18, 2013 10:32 a.m.

Oh good grief, Scientist! By your reasoning, everything God does should just be the most direct and efficient way. Maybe he should just manifest his plan blatantly and directly to all of us so we don’t even need to make any choices in life. Better yet, why not just force us all to believe and save us all! (I think He rejected that plan.)

Or, maybe, He uses our circumstances and environments to send subtle messages that give us reasons to believe, yet allowing room for doubt. It’s that way by design, which gives us reasons to exercise faith, to make moral and spiritual choices, and learn and grow in a spiritual way.

Is it so hard to accept that the ambiguity of it all is by design? Exercise a little faith (like you do in those “real Egyptologists”). It does a body (and spirit) good!

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Oct. 18, 2013 10:14 a.m.

@ The Scientist

See is believing, but believing is also seeing.
    I am willing to bet that the little engine started right up next time it was tried.

God spared this ladies life for a reason, a reason that He has not disclosed.

There are millions of people in this world who are blind, but there are none so blind as those who will not see. Such blindness is self inflicted and is caused by placing unimportant things first. Even an object as small as a mans thumb, if held close enough to the eye can comply obscure something as large as the sun.

It might make no sense to you, but it makes perfect sense to this family.

• fowersjl Farmington, Utah
    Oct. 18, 2013 10:11 a.m.

Great story. And to the "scientist" I say, "God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform", and so, don't try to figure it out, nor make life "fair" for everyone. As our weak mortal eyes and understanding cannot comprehend God's ways. But, since you don't believe in deity, it doesn't matter and shouldn't matter to you if this family sees this as a miracle. I would be happy to meet you on the other side and discuss this further.

• Gram Cracker Price, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 10:05 a.m.

So beautiful.

• realdealneal kanab, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 8:41 a.m.

Beautiful written article. Who knew an engineer could write.

• grandmagreat Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Oct. 18, 2013 8:17 a.m.

What a blessing that this good man listened to the spirit. Wht a heart breaking incident would have happened if he had gone home and found his wife, in the garden, but her spirit had gone on. this brought tears to my eyes. We must all listen to the spirit more closely,no matter what we are doing.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 7:07 a.m.

God stopped a boat engine from starting, but he couldn't (or wouldn't) just stop the heart attack directly?

Why? Because god likes drama?

Meanwhile, all those people who actually died of heart attacks must have been unworthy, and their loved ones are left wondering why god respected this woman but not their family members.

Makes no sense.