Sports

High school football: Osa Masina, Simi Fehoko lead Brighton to critical region win over Jordan

Comments

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 8:17 a.m.

Just like I predicted, came down to turnovers. If the diggers can minimize those in the playoffs, they'll be a very scary team!

• Jfan Sandy, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 10:19 a.m.

Overall a tough game where Jordan ends up on the losing end. wasn't there, but Austin is still throwing interceptions left and right. Now maybe the reason being is because he has no one else to throw to besides Krueger but he has to cut down on them if Jordan even has a chance to make to RES. I believe they are semi-final worthy with the talent they have and can beat (almost) anyone in 5A besides Bingham. Jordan very likely now travels down to Hunter for the first round then down to Davis. Tough road but I think they can do it. GO DIGGERS!

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 10:42 a.m.

Honestly the only reason Bingham beat us so convincingly is because we were missing 2 starting receivers including Krueger. With a healthy offense and a great game by Austin. The Diggers can absolutely beat down the Miners and any team in 5A for that matter!

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 11:35 a.m.

HAHA That's the only reason huh? I don't care if he's throwing to Jerry Rice! That defense couldn't stop Nichols or the Miners offense to save their life, or their season! The proved it again by giving up almost 200 yards to the Brighton RB. That defense is BAD! If they played Bingham 10 times, they'd lose 10 times!

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 11:50 a.m.

Your right, the defense is terrible, but the offense is absolutely phenomenal. IDK if you were at that game but the miners really only put together a few long drives and the rest points came off the turnovers that put Jordan in a come back situation that we struggle with so much. Honestly if we get the turnovers in check I think its a much better team than you think.

• Prep Fan 89 Draper, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 11:53 a.m.

Tough road to the semis? That is a paved smooth road for them. They get horrible Region 2 as their first round game and then the always over-rated Region 1 that plays 3 yards and a cloud of dust football. Jordan will beat Hunter by 5 touchdowns and will do the same to Davis. 5A is weak this year, there are only 2-3 good teams and the rest are mediocre at best. Bingham is the clear favorite, and I would put Brighton down as my #2 best team.

Region 4 has been tough in terms of who will make it and who won't, but Herriman is your region champion? Region 4 will not be a factor in the tourney this year. Herriman wouldn't make state in Region 3. They already lost to Bingham and Jordan, and they would not beat either Alta or Brighton.

Bingham walks away this year in a very weak 5A tourney.

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 12:28 p.m.

Brings up an interesting realization. If Jordan can beat Davis, which i think they can but will be a tough game and alta can beat Syracuse, again tough but possible. Then we're left with an all region 3 5A. ......may need to restructure again lol

• Jfan Sandy, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 1:07 p.m.

Prep Fan your comments are spot on. Region 1 is all about "defense" and no offense. Jordan last year exposed Syracuse's so called "great D" I agree that Jordan should steam roll over Hunter but I am a little worried about Davis. Before last night game they were giving up 5 PPG. I know that stat might be overrated since they've played no one really so far besides Syracuse but still worrisome to me. As long as Jordan's offense is rolling then they should win.keep in mind Davis plays Pleasant Grove in the first round if it started today and what does P.G do best? they score in bunches, something Davis struggles with. Watch out for that upset. Looking at the bracket Jordan might have an easier rode then Brighton to be honest haha.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 1:41 p.m.

Digger24: They really don't have a better team than I think. Those turnovers weren't just handed to Bingham and Brighton. Their defenses went out and took the ball away from them. Their offense has been phenomenal against weaker teams. But not when they play teams with good defenses. As for Bingham not driving the ball on them. The Nichols kid had well over 200 yards rushing. He didn't get them on 2 90 yard runs. They dominated in all 3 aspects of the game. Sorry, I've seen Jordan play 3 times this year. And each time it's been the same story. No defense, and try to outscore their opponent. Against the Copper Hills, and West Jordan's that's fine. But not when you have to play a team with an actual defense.

• Prep Fan 89 Draper, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 3:11 p.m.

Davis hasn't played a single team that would make state in Region 3 and highly doubtful that the teams they have played would make state in Region 4.

Here is my case - Davis played Taylorsville, Copper Hills, and Hunter in pre-season. NONE of those teams make state in any other region, including Region 1. Taylorsville and Hunter will both make state because Region 2 is a complete joke! But neither team will make it out of round 1.

The other problem with Davis is that they play "field position football". They would be happy winning a game 21-14 every week controlling field position, but that is not going to beat Jordan. The key recipe to beating Jordan is indeed a good defense, but that means having a team that can contain and put pressure on the Jordan QB and also prevent big plays. Davis plays a whole season of football controlling games, but when you are down 14-0 in the 1st quarter that game plan is pretty much over. 2010 Jordan 52-7 over Davis, 2011 Jordan leads 21-3 end of 1st quarter. Davis has no chance of beating Jordan. None.

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 4:40 p.m.

Absolutely right

• ExTBird Springville, US-UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 6:54 p.m.

Honestly, good teams don't go 4-5. They just don't. The fans keep acting like Jordan is a real competitor this year, but that just isn't reality. This team isn't up to to the challenge this year. If they face Bingham again (and they have to if they want to win state) they will get run over again. They didn't lose to Bingham and East due to some minor mishaps. They played FAR superior teams and it showed all night long. At no point in time did East or Bingham have anything to fear from Jordan. I know East isn't 5A, but it is a example of what a real beastly team looks like.

Jordan should be looking to next year at this point. Work on fixing some of the very real problems with their team. Maybe next year they can actually live up to some of that hype we have been force fed all season long. :P

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 6:54 p.m.

Sound like Jordan fans are back!

Lose two weeks in a row, and talk about others, not the fact that there so called AMAZING offense just scored 21 and 27 is all. I thought big bad offenses were suppose to score 50s?

Binghams the clear deep favorite of 5A, there stud RB has just run raggid on the 2 other best teams in the 5A and no one else they play will be any better!

Davis beat Layton by 7 points last week, laytons 3-5 with 3-2 in region play!

Region 4 has some solid solid teams! I kinda hinge saying this because...
    Herriman yes is 4-1 in that region leading it... is 5-4 overall! ha
    They are the best and biggest in that region and barely beat wing t riverton by 3! Riverton had chances to win that region, Binghams never lost to them! ha

Yes Bingham will be in the finals! its theres to lose! no one else not even the bengals can win a 4 quarter game with the deep miners! Brightons two way boys wont last all year!

Saying that Im suprised they beat down the Diggers,

• Jfan Sandy, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 8:05 p.m.

binghamalum and T-bird: In no way shape or form am I saying that Jordan is a legit threat to the championship or "are back. I am just saying that they are at least semi-final worthy. Trust me. I give Bingham all the credit in the world, I really do. Before the season they were my pick to win it all and even last week and all of this year before Jordan played Bingham I said the Miners were going to smash the Diggers. Well the 14-7 lead was nice but it was far from what Bingham was. The Nicholas kid is dang good! I was so impressed with his break away speed and the way he drug defenders like they were nothing to get extra yards and pull away. That was really impressive. I do still believe Jordan can get to RES. Like prep fan said, this is a down year in 5A. Who is better than Jordan besides Bingham? Davis has played no one and they have such padded stats its ridiculous. Brighton is about the same as Jordan in my opinion too. Jordan may not have the same team as last year

• Jfan Sandy, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 8:06 p.m.

but they can at least compete for a spot in the final 4

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 10:53 p.m.

Binghamalum, I agree with you saying Bingham seems to be the clear favorite in 5A this year. But, while it's been a while, Bingham has lost to Riverton. Riverton won 20-12 in 2002 and 24-21 in 2003.

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 8:13 a.m.

Bingham is incredible and is definitely the clear favorite but I know they are beatable. They arent this super team you all think they are. Bingham Brighton Jordan and Davis all could win state in my opinion. It all depends on who can get hot and pull an upset that happens all too often in Football.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 9:30 a.m.

They may be beatable. But not by Jordan, Brighton or Davis. How is Brighton and Jordan "about the same", when Brighton just put a beat down on Jordan? And BT1984, you are correct. I remember that win Riverton had over Bingham. They acted like they had just won the state title. haha

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 10:10 a.m.

Bingham is a better team than Brighton and Jordan. They have proved that. I just think that they are not on a whole nother level like Jordan was last year and how bingham was in 2010. With a complete game by one of those three teams and a few slip ups by Bingham, they could go down. My entire point is that Bingham Brighton Jordan and Davis fans all have a reason to be excited for the playoffs, its football, anything can happen!

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 10:39 a.m.

I hope you guys over look region 1. Come on all we do is farm land and let Salt Lake teams take our lunch money. Bingham, Brighton and Davis are good teams. But when you get to RES magic happens. "Cuse" will be one of those teams.

• JDigger24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 11:31 a.m.

Maybe, they have to beat Alta. Lucky for Syracuse you have a really easy road to RES. Otherwise you would make it

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 12:31 p.m.

Ok so I think region one is solid

You'll get your chance to show it
    Davis vs Lehi, pg, af, or river ton all better opponents then they've faced
    Win that you get Jordan round 2
    Syracuse vs same as above for Davis
    Then play alta
    Win those you'll face
    Rematch of Syracuse Bingham,
    Davis vs Brighton or herriman who I think is possible of reaching RES with possibly beating Brighton

But I forgot about 02,03 Bingham losing to rIverton

Bing hams lost two years in a row to region one they need redemption, and state title #3 in the last 5 years
    2 other times finishing reg season undefeated they went 14-0

Btw I watched that east team finally they are very good!

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 1:01 p.m.

We planned on taking second place in the region so we would get the easy route to RES. That's the only way it would work for us. The only team I haven't seen this year is Brighton but what I hear they are big, fast and athletic. I saw Mr Nickols run wild on Jordan. I didn't really think he was fast until I saw he run against the diggers. He is a stud. When "Cuse" played them last year you couldn't tell how fast and hard he hit the hole. Being in the stands watching him doesn't do him justice. I just hope he stays healthy. It was fun watching him run. This years playoffs will be fun to watch. Herriman is also one to watch. Hey where is Pig Skin? I haven't seen you on for awhile.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 2:06 p.m.

@Prep Fan 89 - How does Herriman and Region 4 even get brought up in your discussion???

This is what cracks me up about some of the DesNews posts. Yes...Herriman is 1st in Region 4 and will win the Region 4 Championship outright with a win over Pleasant Grove next week. Since 2010...schools have hated on Herriman for no reason...and I do not know why!!!

Herriman was the first 5A school in Utah to make the playoffs in their inaugural year in 2010 and has made the playoffs every year of their existence. Herriman is not a powerhouse team like a Bingham...but that does not mean Herriman is horrible and we are definitely on the come up!!! Herriman is a solid team. Yes...we lost to Bingham and Jordan. However, Herriman is 1 of only 3 teams to lose by 14 points or less to Bingham (Valor Christian & Brighton) and against Jordan our starting TB (leading rusher in 5A), starting QB and starting Safety did not play.

Herriman is not afraid of any team from Region 3 and is actually looking forward to playing Brighton and possibly having a rematch with Jordan and/or Bingham.

• wolvie23 Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 6:35 p.m.

If I was head coach at Taylorsville I would purposely lose to West so we could play Jordan.

• razorback South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 11:49 p.m.

I'll throw out an interesting statistic here about 5A champions since 2006.

2005 - Skyline wins title after a 5-5 regular season
    2006 - Bingham 14-0
    2007 - Alta 13-1 (lost to Bingham in regular season)
    2008 - Alta 13-1 (lost to a California team)
    2009 - Bingham 13-1 (lost to a Texas team)
    2010 - Bingham 13-0
    2011 - Lone Peak 14-0
    2012 - Jordan 12-1 (lost to a California team)
    2013 - ????

Of the last 7 5A state champions, only one team lost a regular season game to a Utah team and that was Alta losing to then defending state champ Bingham in 2007.

At this stage of the season, the trend is favoring Bingham or Davis.

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 11:33 p.m.

Gunner;
    I remember how Riverton celebrated that win. Fremont was the same way a couple of years ago. The only difference between the two was Riverton's student body at the time still consisted of some former Miners who wanted to beat their old school. Fremont was the underdog against a Bingham that had established itself as a powerhouse. That wasn't the case in 2002 and '03.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 21, 2013 2:08 p.m.

@JDigger24
    Haven't heard so many excuses since elementary school ahhahah, Bingham should have beat Jordan by 50 points if the refs didn't give Jordan half their points

• Prep Fan 89 Draper, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 7:07 p.m.

@Big Benzo, I will give Herriman their props for winning their region assuming they do. But they would not even make state in Region 3. I brought them up in the discussion because I have to when talking about the 5A tourney. There are a ton of mediocre teams this year, only Bingham is the pure class of 5A and I would put Brighton a two touchdown distant second. You can throw the rest of 15 teams into the next tier of teams, but Jordan would be the best of that crew.

@razorback, throw that nonsense out the window. If Davis matches up with Jordan in round 2 they are done. Period.

• razorback South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 7:56 p.m.

@ Prep Fan 89

I don't disagree with your comment on Davis, so now you know I must be thinking Bingham. I included Davis because they are still undefeated and I didn't care to read R1 propaganda that I was overlooking the fact Davis is undefeated.

But I'll go ahead risk the R1 feedback with the following.

In a separate post attempt that for some reason I could never successfully post I predicted (like others, so it's not bold) that Bingham, Brighton and Jordan would make RES.

R1 offenses are weak and defensive statistics against other opponents from R1, R2 and 4A are not indicators of the defensive greatness that R1 usually likes to declare. Over the last four years, Bingham (twice), Lone Peak and Jordan used the title game to unravel R1 defensive mythologies about single-digit points per game prowess.

I would like to see Alta take Syracuse in the quarters and make it an R3 party at RES but that piece is a stretch.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 8:23 p.m.

Razorback, nobody has ever said region 1 is or ever will take state. Your region 3 is always beating on your chest that no one can take you down and your probably right. But fighting to get to the semi's we just happen to knock off the other region 3 teams to get their. We like the climb to the finish line and we have a hard time finishing games. Your teams in the championship are good but the rest of your region gets beat getting their as well. That's what is cool is beating a Bingham last year shutting down their running game and getting beat by the pass. So you can look at it how ever you want. Did you see any excuses last year by the Syracuse team that got beat pretty good by the junior college team Jordan had. Well everybody else got beat as well. We stood in line and got our butt's kicked just the same. Quess what, we are back for more this year. Hope to see one of ya again this year.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 10:52 p.m.

@Prep Fan 89 - NOT SO FAST!!! (in my Lee Corso voice). Only one team has held Bingham to less points than Herriman (Valor Christian). Only two teams have scored more points against Bingham than Herriman (Brighton and Jordan). Only two teams have a smaller margin of defeat against Bingham than Herriman (Valor Christian and Brighton). So I would have to disagree on your believe that Herriman would not make the playoffs in Region 3. The funny thing is that you, DesNews and just about everyone didn't think Herriman would make the playoffs in Region 4 and now they are in 1st place with one game remaining.

The truth is...Herriman and Region 4 is better than most think. I predict only 1 team from Region 1 makes the quarterfinals (and its not Davis). I predict that no teams from Region 2 advance. I predict that all Region 3 teams advance and that 3 teams from Region 4 advance. Look for Herriman, Riverton to advance and either Pleasant Grove or Lone Peak pulls an upset over Davis.

Herriman wins at home to "upset" Brighton to get to RES, Jordan gets to RES, Syracuse and Bingham both get to RES as well.

• razorback South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 22, 2013 10:50 p.m.

And I didn't say that anyone from R1 made claims of taking state so I don't know what that's about.