Sports

Ryan Teeples: A behind-the-scenes look at BYUtv, ESPN on BYU football game day

Comments

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 3:22 p.m.

@TFF,

There are millions more veterans than there are LDS, but I don't see ESPN doing a deal with any of the military academies, so don't kid yourself, ESPN appreciates the built in fan base, but the driving force behind ESPN's deal with BYU is the product on the field.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 10:13 a.m.

@ Reasonable thinker

I'm sure ESPN considered the fact that there are millions of LDS members all over the country. That was the driving force behind BYU's tv deal, not the actual football product on the field. That does not mean BYU is a national brand, it means they have a widespread fan base. There is a difference.

• Ldsrm Spanish fork, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 8:03 a.m.

To ekute
    Houston has ben on espn news in other games then ares

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 4:14 p.m.

@BeSmart, You don't look any different than the guy you're fighting with when you can't let it go. Don't be like him. Good luck BYU cougars this week.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 3:17 p.m.

@BeSmart - You're looking as bad as the guy you're arguing. Give it a rest.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 17, 2013 2:13 p.m.

By the way.
    Those quotes I listed can be googled to reference.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Oct. 17, 2013 1:43 p.m.

The next logical step will be for BYU to cover regional games with ESPN doing on the on air commentary & commercials. I look forward to the day, should ESPN ever cover a Utah game, that BYU will handle the broadcast portion of the event, saving ESPN the cost and yielding BYU-TV to gain some extra revenue.

• Reasonable thinker PAC Country, WA
    Oct. 17, 2013 1:27 p.m.

Crissy,
    ESPN does not consider religion when partnering with quality and consistent football programs. Sorry to burst your crimson bubble but BYU IS a national brand. Just accept it and move on. When the utes are invited to play on national TV every week then we will talk.
    Just so you know the pac network is NOT as easy to access as ESPN and never will be because it serves only 11.1 schools. ESPN serves the entire country. I guess we will leave it the those who KNOW what is sellable to the ENTIRE country. Sorry Crissy but I believe that the ESPN executives know just a little more about football than you do. Sorry to burst your bubble again.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 17, 2013 1:11 p.m.

Pavalova
    If you have an apple tv box and an Ipod you can stream BYUTV in HD though that.
    I watch a lot of BYUs programming this way.
    Check out Studio C it is a good laugh

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 17, 2013 1:07 p.m.

thanks ek
    I cheer for the utes and cougs thanks for your respect of both.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 12:59 p.m.

Houston vs byu would not be a tv game if it weren't for the espn contract. Props to holmoe.

byu is a is a national brand with the LDS faithful. Props to the LDS faithful.

Don't pretend that byu is a national brand outside of the LDS faithful.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Oct. 17, 2013 12:53 p.m.

I'm a DirecTV customer and BYUtv is not offered in HD. I've made many requests to Directv. Anyone else heard anything about the HD offering on Directv? I hate watching in SD...

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 17, 2013 12:36 p.m.

From bleacherreport
    about BYU being able to go independent

"Prior to 2003 Utah hadn’t won an outright conference football title in over 50 years. For three decades the Utes along with rest of the conference’s programs gravy-trained off of BYU’s athletic accomplishments and national brand."
    Congrats to the Utes but give BYU some respect.
    I don't know if they are posting my comments but I have found 10 or so articles discussing BYU's national brand
    How many teams could get a contract by themselves for every home game?
    hypothetical question for everyone.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 17, 2013 12:26 p.m.

From torn by sports.

BYU has a national brand, especially in the wake of Jimmermania. BYUtv is a tremendous resource for national exposure, and BYU’s ESPN deal assures BYU national television slots for several of their most key games.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 17, 2013 12:25 p.m.

ESPN's vice president of programming
    "This is a tremendous day for ESPN. We're back in business with BYU."

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 17, 2013 12:21 p.m.

Another word from BYU's partners at espn
    ESPN's Joe Tessitore: "BYU will always remain relevant because (BYU's) brand is a national brand...There's such a grand history..."

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 12:10 p.m.

@81ute

Well then what do we care if U don't watch the cougs play! Just so you know most people have espnU in HD. If its a good game I am not going to not watch it because its not in HD. You are saying you cant watch the game in HD? well half the country cant watch the game period on PAC 12 network.

Plus it would definitely be preferable to listening to it on the radio or any other "other ways to watch a game" I assume you are referring to going to the game? This is about national exposure. I am sure you aren't getting alot of east coasters just deciding to fly to utah to watch a game.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Oct. 17, 2013 11:57 a.m.

2. New playoff format will automatically preclude independents from consideration. Notre Dame and their 'alliance' with the ACC will give them some cover. The Cougs need to up the schedule front to back.

81, I'm not sure this is the case. If Notre Dame wins out playing a half ACC schedule + half tough traditional rivals, they're in no danger of being left out. Honestly, if BYU wins out under the constraints of a similar schedule I suspect they'll too be fine but, they need to do it first.

But, you're definitely correct about the schedule.

• 81Ute The Middle Of, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 11:47 a.m.

@nhatch82
    That is correct but we are not talking about Utah, we are talking about BYU. Is this article about BYU and there relationship with ESPN? Utah has nothing to do with this converstaion.

BTW, I will not watch the Utes on non-HDTV broadcasts, there are other ways to watch the games besides TV.

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 11:23 a.m.

@81ute

My Issues:
    1. I can't get ESPNu in HD - don't even bother to change to that channel when they play there.

I am sure if the utes were playing on ESPNU you would watch it regardless of whether it was in HD or not. Otherwise you would probably not be classified as a fan.

• 81Ute The Middle Of, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 11:05 a.m.

My Issues:

3. Too many late games.

4. Conference affiliation is not only about football nor is it only about Sunday play.

My screen name indicates that I am not a fan but neither am I trying to start a battle of words. Just my 2 cents.

• Stop The Nonsense El Paso, TX
    Oct. 17, 2013 10:27 a.m.

As a fan from out of state, I'm loving independence. More and more quality opponents at home and away, and the chance to catch all the games either live on ESPN or re-broadcast on BYUtv. Are there great things about being in a big-boy conference like the PAC-12? Of course, but I'm perfectly content with how things are right now. Could our bowl games be better? Sure, but I'm hopeful that will come with time and more wins. The key now is to just win!

Go Cougars!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 10:24 a.m.

This has certainly been advantageous for BYU and I hope this rapport and partnership with the World Wide Leader continues.

Toosmart...I think there's some truth to what you said. I think BYU has been the aloof party when it comes to conference affiliation, however. The Big 12 came to THEM...the then Big East came to THEM. I think had BYU just been ready and willing they would be in the Big 12 right now, but they held back because of the benefits described in this article. I know it's hard for BYU fans, but the goal of BYU sports isn't just winning and being in a great conference. It's about their exposure and opportunity to have a national & global audience. That's why they are skittish about talking to any conference at this point (along with how they were lied to by the MWC)...they like the benefits of independence, including this symbiotic relationship with ESPN.

• Reasonable thinker PAC Country, WA
    Oct. 17, 2013 9:27 a.m.

Well Crissy,
    You may be able to watch the utes on the PAC 11+1 network but nationally people could care less about west coast football. BYU IS a NATIONAL BRAND no matter how you spin it, east coat or west.

BYU has the national respect that u can only hope for.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 6:06 a.m.

Thanks Ryan for a very informative article.

Technology has certainly changed since the days of KSL and KBYU over-the-air broadcasts. It's fun to peek behind the curtain to see what goes into producing the high-quality broadcasts we're fortunate to be able to view almost anywhere in the world on numerous types of devices.

It's no wonder BYU is reluctant to give up the rights to rebroadcast it's own product.

• OhioCougar Madison, Ohio
    Oct. 17, 2013 5:59 a.m.

This is the best part of independence. I love being able to watch every game.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 11:37 p.m.

What a great thing for BYU. ESPN is the top of the market, you can't do any better than them for a national broadcast. Glad it is working for both parties.

Conferences that don't like the no-Sunday play could certainly benefit from the global exposure their teams would get from BYUtv when playing on Saturday since that goes around the world. But I guess they don't think about that. And they're no doubt jealous that the Big Y Truck can roll into any place in the country for a game that the home host can't produce using their resources. They'd be smart to take advantage of that instead of pouting about it. Oh, well.

• Cleanliness Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 11:23 p.m.

I think that ESPN has done quite a bit in terms of getting BYU more exposure. They now just need to capitalize on that exposure and win. The past few weeks have been nice in that regard I feel.