Opinion

Richard Davis: Not 'my' president? Partisanship hurting the nation

Comments

• RedShirtMIT Cambridge, MA
    Oct. 21, 2013 8:05 a.m.

To "mark" FYI, the Tea Party represents conservative interests in government. If the states are not moving towards socialism (liberalism/Progressivism), and are moving towards the right. That means they are moving TOWARDS the Tea Party.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 5:09 p.m.

“The states are moving TOWARDS the Tea Party. See "The conservative shift in public opinion has happened in all 50 states" in the Washington Post.”

Yeah. That article says nothing about the Tea Party. It talks about the country turning more conservative. And the most recent information it has is from 2012. Other information is from 2010, and 2000- 2004.

It does say this: What does the public’s conservative shift suggest for future public opinion? That depends a lot on the 2016 election. The public’s policy preferences typically move in the opposite direction of public policy (especially for policies related to government spending). Thus, if a Republican is elected president in 2016 and policy shifts in a conservative direction, we should expect a liberal turn in public opinion.

So what does the public actually feel about the tea party?

From pew, two days ago:

“The Tea Party is less popular than ever, with even many Republicans now viewing the movement negatively. Overall, nearly half of the public (49%) has an unfavorable opinion of the Tea Party, while 30% have a favorable opinion.”- Tea Party’s Image Turns More Negative

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 1:28 p.m.

But it's pointing in the right direction.  And now we've got the Republicans tapping us on the shoulder, saying, we want the keys back.
    You can't have the keys back. You don't know how to drive.  (Applause.)  You can ride with us if you want, but you got to sit in the backseat.  (Laughter.)  We're going to put middle-class America in the front seat.  We're looking out for them.  (Applause.)
    I mean, you have noticed, when you want to go forward, what do you do with your car?  You put it in "D."  If you want to go backwards, what do you do?  You put it in "R."  (Laughter and applause.)  I don't want to go backwards.  I'm going forwards, with all of you. (Applause.)
    Minnesota, because of the steps we've taken, we no longer face the possibility of a second depression.  The economy is growing again.  We've seen nine straight months of private sector job growth.  But we've still got a long way to go. [President Obama Remarks, 10/23/10 via WhiteHouse.gov]

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 1:27 p.m.

I know that Al Franken talked to you a little bit about the analogy of a car being driven into the ditch -- although I guess Al embellished it a little bit.  He said there were alligators down there -- (laughter) -- I didn't see the alligators. But it is true the car went into the ditch.  (Laughter.)  And it is true that me and Al and Amy and Mark and others, we had to climb down into the ditch.  And it is hot down there and dirty.
    And we've been pushing that car, pushing it, pushing it, pushing it.  The whole time the Republicans have been standing on the sidelines.  (Laughter.)  They've been looking down, fanning themselves, sipping on a Slurpee.  (Laughter.) Kicking dirt down into the ditch.  Kicking dirt in our faces.  But we kept on pushing.  (Applause.)
    Finally we got this car up on level ground.  And, yes, it's a little beat up.  It needs to go to the body shop.  It's got some dents; it needs a tune-up.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 1:26 p.m.

Lost in DC, you talk about lying: "As for BO lying, we can cite numerous instances." and yet you make this claim:

Do you think BO saying, the republicans can come along if they want, but they’ll have to ride in the back of the bus. . . “

Not only is the quote you provide not accurate (Can show where you got this actual quote you attribute to President Obama? I don't think so), it is wildly out of context.

While campaigning the president used a metaphor many times of the economy being like a car that the Republicans had driven into the ditch and now, after the Democrats had pushed it out, wanted the keys back. He never mentioned a bus, like you claim, with all the racial overtones that carries.

This is an example of his metaphor, and Republicans riding in the back, in context, from Political Correction, Fact Checking The Sunday Shows, Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) Repeated Glenn Beck-Inspired Lie About President Obama's Stump Speech - October 31, 2010:

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 8:06 a.m.

To "one vote" you think? Fortunately for the US, you are wrong. The states are moving TOWARDS the Tea Party. See "The conservative shift in public opinion has happened in all 50 states" in the Washington Post.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 10:26 p.m.

So when exactly was the last time Obama made an effort to work with the other side? He sits there and says he won't negotiate and then the GOP is being unreasonable? GWB tried numerous times, but got knifed in the back, just like his Father did on the tax pledge.

Obama is "my way or the highway" and "I will selectively enforce the laws whenever I want." Yes he is my President, but he has been inflicted on me by people who think they know what is best for me. Please take your hope and change and leave my rights alone.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 12:46 p.m.

The letter is wrong. It isn't the attitude of the people that are hurting and polarizing the nation. It is the President himself. See the Washington Times article "Gallup: Obama hits record high for polarizing politics".

If we want the partisanship to end, it has to come from the top down.

We need to seek out politicians who have a desire to do what is best, and not politically expedient. Cruz and Lee showed that they have the moral aptitude to stand up for their constituants no matter what the cost. When has Obama or most any other politician done anything similar?

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 10:12 a.m.

I don't know if some of the people just started paying attention to politics when Obama took office but.... I have been paying attention to it a long time, and I can assure you there were a LOT more "He's not MY President" posts when Bush was in office than there is now.

And it was just as bad for the country back then as it is now. But now we see the same people and posters who were saying that back then... crying about how it's hurting the country now (when THEY were the people doing it just a few years ago).

I have no respect for that.

Bush was everybody's President. And so is Obama.

But these Democrats who couldn't accept Bush's election and kept saying "He's not MY President... I didn't vote for him... I hope he fails", etc... now getting upset that just a FEW people are acting the way many of them did during the last administration... just shows how biased some people can get.

IMO... If you ever said or thought, "He's not MY President" during Bush Admin... you have no room to complain now.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 9:28 a.m.

I find it hard to believe that Bush Jr. was elected, and even harder to believe that Obama was.

• louie Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 8:53 p.m.

It is a given the left and right are going to be less objective about issues, but independent voters are more pragmatic. Right now the republicans are losing the independent voters based on recent polling. Instead of "sticking to their guns", the republicans need to consider "reloading their guns" with a different tactic and a different vision...like solving problems.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Oct. 16, 2013 7:15 p.m.

For once I might actually agree with the Tea-Party Gun Lobby.

Let's let the Republicans and Democrats in Congress handle it the good old fashion way --
    A Duel.

ala, Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton and sitting Vice President Aaron Burr, on July 11, 1804.

• EastCoastMemLib Parkesburg, PA
    Oct. 16, 2013 5:19 p.m.

Pity all you want Lost in DC but I think what church leaders wanted with their statement following the 2012 election was for us to pray for our leaders.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 4:20 p.m.

The tide is sweeping over the tea party thankfully.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 4:20 p.m.

Lew: "...what do you expect him to do? Roll over and give in to all the demands of the Republicans? Well, he's done that enough."

OK. Forget about 5 examples. Please just give me ONE real example where Obama has done anything close to what you just said. "He's done enough." is not an example.

It is only when he is completely backed into a corner and has no other choice (like with the sequester), that he will agree to anything the GOP wants. Even then, he told us it would be the end of the world if it happened.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Oct. 16, 2013 3:57 p.m.

" I don’t think we’ve ever before had a president who fundamentally dislikes this nation and actually appears to be doing things to undermine it. "

I doubt anyone in this country truly believes that , including you.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 16, 2013 3:41 p.m.

Mr. Davis seems to be unfamiliar with the duties of the President of the United States. He does not "represent" us. He represents the federation of States to the world. He makes treaties with other nations (which must be approved by the Senate). In no way has he been elected to represent the people of the United States. We have Representatives in the House whose duty it is to "represent" us.

A false premise automatically leads to a false conclusion. Obama "represents" himself only. He signed ObamaCare over the objections of 59% of the people. Today, he is holding America hostage to keep ObamaCare in force, even though he refuses to implement it.

• Lew Scannon Provo, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 3:32 p.m.

JoeCap:

When the president is opposed on everything, even on stuff that no other president in history has been opposed on, just because the other party is sworn to destroy him, what do you expect him to do? Roll over and give in to all the demands of the Republicans? Well, he's done that enough. I'm just glad to see him stand his ground on this latest round of insanity from the tea-wingers.

I don't consider Obama one of the stronger presidents in my lifetime. But I do consider the snow job the Republicans and right-wing media have pulled off to be the most obscene of my lifetime. I get right-wing publications sent to me from time to time. It's like visiting Fantasyland.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 2:21 p.m.

m.g. scott said: You should have seen it yesterday. Speaker Bohener goes on TV for about 3 minutes and says we are trying to do what is best for the American people and to reach an agreement.
    He was lying only e and cantor can now stop this...

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), presiding over the chamber, told Van Hollen that the rule he was asking to use had been "altered" and he did not have the privilege of bringing that vote to the floor. In the ensuing back and forth, Chaffetz said the recently passed House Resolution 368 trumped the standing rules. Where any member of the House previously could have brought the clean resolution to the floor under House Rule 22, House Resolution 368 -- passed on the eve of the shutdown -- gave that right exclusively to the House majority leader, Rep. Eric Cantor of Virginia.
    "The Rules Committee, under the rules of the House, changed the standing rules of the House to take away the right of any member to move to vote to open the government, and gave that right exclusively to the Republican Leader," said Van Hollen. "Is that right?"
    "The House adopted that resolution," replied Chaffetz.

• Eli Tesecular PhD Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 1:42 p.m.

JoeCapitalist2: "Just give us your "Top 5" examples where he did any of the following:

2) Showed respect for anyone who has religious convictions..."

You couldn't be more wrong. President Obama has bent over backward (and forward) to the people of the Muslim religion. He has heaped praise on them and provided billions in financial aid for them to fight their enemies. He couldn't possibly show more respect for them.

• PeanutGallery Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 1:41 p.m.

Richard, I agree, but only to a certain extent. President Obama is different: I don’t think we’ve ever before had a president who fundamentally dislikes this nation and actually appears to be doing things to undermine it.

I also do not believe that Obama was “duly elected by legitimate processes.” One of the big reasons Obama won is because of the corrupt things that he and his supporters did behind the scenes. The IRS scandal, as just one example, seriously harmed the ability of conservative groups to be on equal footing in the election.

Yes, Obama is the president of all of us, but he is also BAD for all of us. It will take a lot of time and effort to recover from the serious damage he has inflicted on this country.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 1:33 p.m.

liberaleastcoast,

you KNOW we hate the man and not just his policies?

What a gift you must have to know the thoughts and intents of our hearts!

personally, I feel sorry for him - he is in so far over his head, and the only way he was able to get re-elected was through creating divisions, even bragging about leading class warfare. What a sad, pitiful, little man. Yes, he deserves our sympathy.

• LiberalEastCoastMember Parkesburg, PA
    Oct. 16, 2013 12:58 p.m.

While it may be uniquely American to "hate the President," as Iron Guy above states, there nothing "Mormon" about the unfounded hatred and vitriol aimed at President Obama every day on these pages by otherwise good, decent people.

As a people we hold ourselves to a higher standard in how we dress, how we behave, what we watch, even what we eat and drink.

Should we not also hold ourselves to a higher standard in how we treat those properly elected to represent us.

As a brother in a Sacrament Meeting in my ward said last year, "leading my family is tough, I can only imagine how difficult it is to lead an entire country."

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 12:12 p.m.

Lew Scannon: Since you disagree with my characterization of President Obama as the "most divisive" president, perhaps you can give us some examples of where he has tried to bring the country together or at least listen to what the other half of the country has to say.

Just give us your "Top 5" examples where he did any of the following:

1) Praised business owners for taking risks, employing workers, and paying lots of taxes.
    2) Showed respect for anyone who has religious convictions or likes the second amendment.
    3) Made any attempt to get spending and the debt under control.
    4) Listened to a proposal from the other side without dismissing it out of hand.
    5) Reached across the aisle and actually talked WITH congressional Republicans instead of AT them through the media.

BTW: Just taking liberal policies like Obamacare and insisting that they are somehow based on conservative ideals (e.g. saying it is just like Romneycare) doesn't count.

• GZE SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 11:59 a.m.

While the vitriol on both sides of the political spectrum enfuriates me and I wish we could "all just get along," anyone who thinks any of this is new needs to go back and restudy American political history.

As bad as it is now, it was far, far worse 150 years ago or more. Look at some of what was thrown at William Henry Harrison - even Lincoln was called horrible names by many of his contermporaries. The rhetoric used in much of our past was truly disturbing.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 11:48 a.m.

Ok, he's my Pres., he is too ideological, a dreamer who imagines America can absorb tremendous debt; I'd prefer a realist, a William F Buckley Conservative...I remember J. Carter was a good Sunday School teacher who gave us 18% mortgage interest rates, & now here is B. Obama wrecking the credit of our nation with his lack of understanding of economics...he's my Pres. But I didn't vote for him, Mitt R. would have done so much better.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Oct. 16, 2013 11:42 a.m.

I didn't vote for him last time, I don't support him and he doesn't support me.

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 11:33 a.m.

Irony Guy

Yes, this is a great country and you are right that the worst things have and are being said about Presidents since Washington. It's just that now that the liberals have as President a man they believe is somehow special and should be treated differently than any other President, they are having fits when he is criticized. And as I pointed out above, when Bush was in they sounded like the right does now. Good for them. Good for us. As Hillary said when Senator, they have a right to criticize a President. We anti-Obama people are just doing what Hillary herself said we should do. This is all so normal for American politics. Why does the left think it now should be different? I think when the dust settles on this President, he will have been a Salieri in a world of Mozarts.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Oct. 16, 2013 11:03 a.m.

The things his opponents said about George Washington are unprintable. It's an old American tradition to hate the President. Is this a great country or what?

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 10:55 a.m.

I oppose almost everything coming from the current misadministration. I think BO is the most divisive, least qualified, and worst president in our history. I refer to him by his initials, or as potus, but never as “your president” despite my personal feelings for him.

BO won re-election in part by being divisive.

And of course BO was not born in Africa – after watching his fiscal activities, we KNOW he had to have been born in Greece! (joke)

Roland,
    Do you think BO saying, “the republicans can come along if they want, but they’ll have to ride in the back of the bus” or calling the GOP “terrorists” has ANYTHING at all to do with the vitriol leveled against him? What has BO, nancy, or harry done to encourage bipartisanship?

Joeblow,
    Did Boehner say those things, or are you attributing others’ comments to Boehner? As for BO lying, we can cite numerous instances.

Kent,
    Quoting nancy is not repeating talk radio. Are you also encouraging nancy and harry tone it down? I didn't think so.

Lew,
    Well intentioned? What he has done despite GOP opposition indicates otherwise.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Oct. 16, 2013 10:31 a.m.

@ Kent C. Deforrest. The facts you don't like disturb you don't they? Only "your" facts matter and all others need to tone it down, right? I invite you to consider the possibility that your ideology has blinded you to some other obvious facts.

• Lew Scannon Provo, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 10:23 a.m.

JoeCapitalist2:

I am unaffiliated politically, and for some reason what you say just doesn't ring true. The most divisive president in modern history? He is probably the most embattled president in modern history, but that is because the Republican Party announced at the outset of his presidency that they would do all in their power to destroy him. What I have seen since then is a well-intentioned but imperfect man trying his level best to do what is best for the entire country (not just his supporters), but being opposed at every turn, even when he proposes ideas that originated with his opposition. That is how determined and irrational the GOP is. But in the end, all they will accomplish is their own destruction, because people get fed up eventually with hate and bitterness and obstruction and recklessness. If the Republican Party would come together behind some realistic ideas, they might have some success. But where have the ideas been? Bobby Jindal, a Republican governor, has called his own party the stupid party. I must say, I agree with him.

• m.g. scott clearfield, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 10:19 a.m.

Roland Kayser

"the vitirol has reached new hights under Obama?" Beg to differ. Even now read what Pelosi and others are saying about Republicans. Plus Bush was called the worst things a human being can be called. There may be some anti Obama sentiment close or even equal, but new heights are impossible with what Bush, and Reagan had been called, and what Reid and Pelosi are doing today.

• Kent C. DeForrest Provo, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 10:15 a.m.

Badgerbadger's comment was predictable, including the all-caps yelling.

Mntnmn's comment was also predictable, and disappointing.

But the latter illustrates the problem Richard is trying to point out. Repeating blather you hear on talk radio and accusing the president of "purposely" destroying and dividing the country is a symptom of the illness we need to heal in this country. Ugliness and hate and blindness will not solve anything, and I invite Mntnmn and others like him to tone it down. More than half the time you don't even have your facts right.

• m.g. scott clearfield, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 10:14 a.m.

Joe Blow

You should have seen it yesterday. Speaker Bohener goes on TV for about 3 minutes and says we are trying to do what is best for the American people and to reach an agreement. Then Pelosi goes on TV a few minutes later and starts calling the Republicans every name in the terriorist hand book and goes on and on about how bad the Republicans are. And now we are to expect the Republicans to want to work with that??? Right now the worst vitriol is coming from the Democrats, and because the mainstream media agrees with them, there is no criticism of their very harsh words. Any with no blinders at all I think this President is MUCH different than those who have gone before him. He said he wanted to fundamentally transform this country. I don't want that to happen.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Oct. 16, 2013 10:08 a.m.

"The Whitehouse has likened negotiating with duly elected representatives of the people as negotiating with terrorists."

And I assume that you are totally unaware of these "duly elected representatives" who liken Obama to Hitler, or say that he "hates America" or that he "wants America to fail" or that he is a "liar" or that he "hates white people" or that he "is not an American" or that he is a "muslim"

And of course, no "duly elected representative of the people" would ever "seek to de-legitimize" their opposition either, right?

Geez, you are talking about politics. And unfortunately, it is played by both sides.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Oct. 16, 2013 9:30 a.m.

A "president" that calls those with whom he disagrees derogatory names, accuses them of being terrorists, lies to them continually and demeans them is not my President either! A "leader" that purposely destroys and divides the country he is supposed to lead is not my President. He neither leads me, inspires me nor represents me! Therefore, I have no President!

• Benevolus Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 9:12 a.m.

The Whitehouse has likened negotiating with duly elected representatives of the people as negotiating with terrorists. Thus our president seeks to de-legitimate political opposition from a co-equal branch of government as enemies of the state. Richard Davis should be more concerned about what our president thinks of his fellow citizens than the other way around. Davis is blind to his own partisanship.

• Roland Kayser Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 9:05 a.m.

George Bush Sr. was the last president to be accepted as legitimate by both sides. The right never accepted Bill Clinton as the legitimate president and they did everything in their power to undermine him. For the left, it was payback time with Bush Jr. Under Obama though, the level of vitriol has reached new heights, exceeding anything we saw under Bush Jr. or Clinton.

Although I thought Bush Jr. did serious damage to the country that we are still paying for and will continue to pay for for a long time, I never thought that he wasn't my president. I also defended him from time to time when I thought accusations against him were ridiculous.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Oct. 16, 2013 8:52 a.m.

"So if we just talk nicer about the president, will he uphold and enforce the laws, as he is sworn to do? Will he stop trying to spend the money our great-grandchildren might someday make? Will he stop insulting and demonizing those with different beliefs? "

No. But if you take off the partisan blinders, and stop watching media that seeks to demonize him 24/7, you will find that this president is not much different than the other presidents before him.

This goes for both right and left. And applies to many aspects of life.

If you want to find only the bad, you will find only the bad. The same applies to the good.
    I suggest looking at reality and do your best to honestly evaluate what you find.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 8:43 a.m.

I just wish that President Obama would start acting like he is EVERYONE's president instead of just his supporter's.

Yes, he won the election even if it was just by a couple of percentage points. But that does not mean that he can get his way 100% of the time, reject any and all offers of compromise from conservatives, and constantly demonize everyone who has a vision for this country that is different from his.

He is the most divisive president in modern history. He is constantly pitting one group against the other. He rewards his friends and punishes his opponents. He refuses to even listen to what the other side has to say, let alone throw them a bone once in a while.

When the American people see him actually make an attempt at being a leader of the United States instead of just the "blue" ones, then some of this rhetoric will diminish. There will always be crazy people out there who will never be anything but purely partisan, but we should expect more from the President.

• Badgerbadger Murray, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 8:31 a.m.

NOT A CHANCE!

Maybe if the president, as a leader and an example, would talk civilly about those with different viewpoints than his own, the country would follow.

• chilly Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 8:01 a.m.

"We need to return to the way past generations respected the presidency and the person who held it by banishing from our speech the phrase “not my president.”"

The "banishing" of "not my president" is working very well in North Korea.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Oct. 16, 2013 7:50 a.m.

"Of course the “birthers” cannot admit that Obama is president because someone born outside of the United States, as they claim President Obama was, cannot be president."

We certainly KNOW that line of thinking will change.

Ted Cruz openly admits he was not born in the United States. His birth certificate proves it (unless it is fake, lol) He was born in Canada to a US citizen mother and a Cuban Citizen father.

Exactly the same type of scenario that the birthers have "claimed" about Obama (but have had zero proof)

With all the birther uproar, one would expect that they will staunchly opposed Cruz based on his Canadian birth.

What a conundrum. What a show it will be if Cruz runs in 2016.

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    Oct. 16, 2013 6:44 a.m.

"there was a time when America united behind the President....." What country has Mr. Davis been living in, because I've never seen anything close to that in my 60+ years. The only time I've seen that kind of uniting behind a President is when when a tragedy like 911 happens and that only lasts a short time. Why is it that now Democrats are asking us to be behind Obama, after we Republicans listened to almost 8 years of Bush being called everything up to Hitler or the Devil. And I for one did not think they were wrong for not liking Bush and his war policies. Democrats and liberals had a right and duty to voice opposition to a Presidents policies they disagreed with. Welcome to freedom. Hope it lasts. Now, please, you Obama supporters just give us anti Obama types the same courtesy when we disagree with your President and his policies. If Obama were a conservative Republican he would be my hero. But he is not and I think he is destroying the country.

• bamball Mesa, AZ