Sports

Utes basketball: Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak taking a page from football, using coordinators

Comments

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 8, 2013 5:07 p.m.

You gotta love Coach K. Can't wait to see where the program heads this year. I highly doubt that Utah will make the NCAA this year, but you never know. They will most likely end up in the NIT with Down Under's byU team, which will be sweet after the 12/14/13 redemption game.

2014-2015 is the season I am really looking forward to. Hopefully no more patsy OOC schedule and a LOT of growth.

Go Utes!!

Onward and Upward

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 8:49 a.m.

Down under, glad to see you've fully recovered from that apparently near-fatal illness that struck some time late September 21st. Back to business as usual for you...

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 6:53 a.m.

Not going to make a difference. It will be the same as the last two years. The utes will get beat again by BYU and finish below 500.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 8:18 p.m.

RonBergundy,

You're way off, what Krystko's doing is a very rare thing. Most programs have their assistants specialize with "bigs" or "smalls" and do so for both sides of the ball. I'm sure Kystkowiak still does something similar but has included an overall specialty to his top two assistants by making them offensive and defensive "coordinators."

• RonBergundy SANDY, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 1:13 a.m.

First off, I'm a cougar fan. Coach K seems like a great guy though and is doing a good job of rebuilding a program. They have some young, but raw talent up there this year.

And as far as the offensive, defensive "coordinator" spots, a lot of coaching staffs already implement this. I'm kind of surprised that this is new for the Utes.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 6, 2013 10:28 p.m.

I am very encouraged with the work Coach K has done with his team the last couple of yeras. He took over in a real tough situation and I have faith it will all turn around. Look for 2014-15 to be a great year for Utah football and basketball. Then recruiting will get better as well.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Oct. 6, 2013 1:18 p.m.

The Utes finally have the man who can restore the team to the caliber we have previously been used to. I believe this is the year we can start to contend and possible make the tourney. Next year- buckle up.