Sports

Brad Rock: Utah football is growing, but don't ask them to prove that on the scoreboard

Comments

• frugalfly PULLMAN, WA
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:29 p.m.

Whats up with the Travis Wilson- Matt Schuab connection? Utah could have easily won this game and they were close at the last third of the game. If Wilson didn't throw 6 interceptions, this could have been a Utah win. Of course under that same premise, if BYU didn't lay an egg 6 times in the blue zone, they could have won their game with Utah. Oh well. Close games against two good teams are just that. Close games against two good teams. The better team, mixed with good fortune, on that specific night won the game. Not too far off visualizing how the game could go either way with a few better choices, a few less turnovers, a few caught passes... sounds like BYU-Utah games... oh wait. Utah is clearly the far and away, most definite, without a doubt, better team NO QUESTIONS! Or are they the better team on select nights? I stand by what I said. Utah could have easily won this game and so could have BYU two weeks ago. Didn't happen.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 6:35 p.m.

...and we begin the 3rd annual Post BYU Bowl swoon by the UofU. Don't worry Ute fans, there's only 3 more games left in the swoon and then maybe you'll get back to business as usual.

• spokaloo Adin, CA
    Oct. 4, 2013 3:14 p.m.

@Scott

I read that comment about being cousins to Arizona as a compliment to Utah. Arizona is held in higher regard nationwide than Utah is. I live outside of Utah in PAC 12 country and I just did an informal office poll. I asked my college football fan coworkers which football program is more prestigious, Utah or Arizona. Of the 11 people who I asked, 8 said Arizona, 2 said they are same, and 1 said Utah. Not a scientific poll, but where I live, people are fans of neither team.

• LoveTheKittens The Middle Of, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:56 p.m.

Even with 9 interceptions, Wilson isn't the lowest rated QB in the state:
    #23 Chuckie Keaton QBR = 80.5
    #37 Travis Wilson QBR = 77
    #42 Taysom Hill QBR = 73.7

Source ESPN

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:42 p.m.

You ute fans need to stop the whining! The U played an awesome UCLA team and really took it to them. Wilson will be a top-ranked QB by the end of next season. The young Utes look great. Utah will probably go bowling and will makes some serious noise in the PAC-12 next year.

Full disclosure: I am a BYU fan. But I only cheer against the Utes when they play my Cougs.

• cougarfan03 Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:30 p.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the last time a QB threw 6 interceptions at Rice-Eccles was Max Hall in 2008. Maybe now, since the Utes matched that, the Max Hall curse will be broken and BYU will win next time. We only have to wait three years to find out... Unless of course BYU plays Utah in a bowl game in the next couple years like I'm hoping they will...

• cougarfan03 Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:26 p.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the last time a QB threw 6 interceptions at Rice-Eccles was Max Hall in 2008. Maybe now, since the Utes matched that, the Max Hall curse will be broken and BYU will win next time. We'll have to wait three years to find out...

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:18 p.m.

@rock

wilson threw 6, yes that is correct 6, interceptions. It is hard to be any worse than that.

• N.C.Y. Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:34 a.m.

Guess that Heisman thing is over for Wilson, sure heard a lot of ute fans saying he should be in the running. #redkoolaid

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:32 a.m.

Wow, I'm not sure I've ever seen a qb throw six picks and the last one to snuff out a comeback bid get such a glowing report in the paper. Does Rock have a kid playing for the utes? Maybe Rock is counting the interceptions as completions too, so that's why he throwing out a life line.

I wonder how T HIll feels after all the negative stuff written about him, gotta be painful to see such a double standard in the "objective" reporting business.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:32 a.m.

Scott, how does pointing out a fact about a fellow bottom-feeding PAC-12 team constitute BYU bias? As conspiracy theories go, that's not among my top ten, but it is pretty funny. When you read articles on, oh, I don't know; a new mall opening in West Jordan, do you see BYU bias there, too?

Hey, the Utes beat BYU way too often more my liking. It stinks, but it is what it is. I have no choice but to admit that we've gotten spanked in the series over the last 20 years. Can you admit that your team is like one of those annoying kids in high school who hung around with the jocks and cheerleaders, grinning all the while, but were kinda being laughed at the whole time? C'mon . . it'll feel good to admit the truth.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:33 a.m.

the utes are 3-2 0-2 and have had only 1 road game, and that was at byu!

wait until they have to get on the road.

new sign at RES... "Welcome to Pick City"

• My Humble Opinion Sandy, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:25 a.m.

@ Hochmut: I'll take the Utes' QB situation over byu's anyday.

• utahsdixie st. george, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:05 a.m.

Get real Scott.

BYU is no longer in the MW Conference either. I'm glad you'll enjoy watching your teams play great opponents and LOSE... cause that's how's it gonna be for U in the PAC 12. U are nothing more than the New Wyoming of the PAC. Even Wyoming gave great opponents tough games, yet still lost.

You say BYU's schedule is weak sause: Notre Dame, Wisonsin, Georgia Tech, Boise State, Utah, Utah State, Texas? Seriously...get real! Step outside of Beaver once in a while.

By the way, your D-coordinator is Sitake, not Satake. You know, another BYU alum on your coaching staff.

I used to cheer for Utah, and as a BYU die-hard, it wasn't difficult to cheer for the Utes for me... as I'm from the state of Utah. However, after reading fan comments on DesNews from you and other Crazy-lady Utes, my favorite thing, next to cheering for my Cougs (of course) is to watch Utah lose in the PAC 12. Call me a Utah-hater... it won't offend me because it's true.

Go Cougars!!

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:55 a.m.

@Scott Farcus

"At the moment they’re looking like cousins to Arizona, a conference member that in 35 years has never been to the Rose Bowl."

That statement shows no anti-U bias. Unfortunately it's true.

I attended the U when the U of A almost owned us in football. The only reason it was "almost" was because it was ASU that actually owned us. When the Arizona schools left the WAC for the PAC-10, their fans were as full of themselves as certain U fans are - with Chris B being our poster child.

Talking smack about BYU and crowing about going to the Rose Bowl is ridiculous until the U starts to win at least half of our conference games. Until then, we're no better than the U of A has been since joining the PAC-10.

Let's start with wins against U of A, WSU, CU, and USC and getting back to ANY bowl game this year. Let's start with consistency in the offensive coordinator position by keeping DE next year. Could we learn from what has happened to Alex Smith in the NFL?.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:09 a.m.

@Sports Are Great
    "The better team won and I enjoyed it.

I agree with you, Im sure you did enjoy it.

I would rather watch my team play great teams and lose than play weak sauce teams and win.
    That a great game!

Two good teams battling it out on the field and the most enjoyable part was that I didn't see one receiver after missing his pass jump up stretch his arms out look at the refs and do the flag pull motion, and there was zero cheating antics like holding onto the defense secondary as you flop to the ground trying your thespian talents to draw the PI.

Refreshing to see two great teams battle it out straight up.

Good job Utes!
    Satake, great D calling!

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:45 a.m.

TheSolution,

You'd rather lose 5 times to Utah in 4 years as opposed to just 4 times?

• Hochmut West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:41 a.m.

All the week-long hype about how the Utah QB is the 2nd coming of Alex Smith and the "future is bright", well the pundits are a little mute this morning; Wilson's 22-43 performance was a dismal 51% for an "elite" QB; but if you add in the 6 he completed to the Bruins, that brings his completion rate to 65%--now you have a top QB;

The Utah performance in the last couple of games on 3rd down is terrible--not a quality team by any standard. Is it the play calling of Ericson or Johnson? Not enough prep time? What the new PAC12 wanted in inviting Colorado and Utah after being spurned by Texas and Oklahoma, was two patsies to fill out the Southern Division. There is no guarantee the Utes will beat WSU or Colorado; It is going to be a very long year at best.

• The Solution Dayton, OH
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:17 a.m.

"With three wins, the Utes are still unclear on their bowl chances. Beating Washington State and Colorado, plus a win against downtrodden USC could still get them there."

I think that is very doable and will most likely happen. I also will give U Arizona. The other games will be very difficult.

Here is one Coug fan that believes the Utes will go bowling this year with a 7-5 record before the bowl.

We might get out rematch yet!

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:11 a.m.

Scott, calm down buddy. You'll be ok. The better team won and I enjoyed it.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 7:36 a.m.

I will hand it to Wilson for doing what he did. He's a 100x what the Utes have had recently for a QB. But I am scratching my head about that last interception. No excuse for that one but the others were just unfortunate, they happen.

Dropped balls were a big problem last night. To hold UCLA to the few points they scored from turnovers was a great defensive effort.

Great game to watch. Could have easily gone to the Utes but... it didn't.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 7:16 a.m.

Despite the 6 interceptions, I'm still impressed with Travis Wilson. His receivers do owe him an apology. I foresee great things from him in the future.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 6:56 a.m.

ROCK

Cute, does expose your bYu bias.

Aren't there any Utah writers at D-news?