Sports

BYU-Utah State rivalry gaining momentum

Comments

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 2:50 p.m.

Oh great. Grammar police. My mistake. I didn't look until I hit submit and there is no edit button. Honest mistake. You are a hero for picking that out though. The world thanks you for pretending to miss the point because of this error.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 2:00 p.m.

Ragnar, What do you mean by let's "here exclusively?" That doesn't make sense. I'd love to have a conversation HERE, if you can make sense first.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 12:38 p.m.

Quality journalism. Let's here exclusively from BYU about how they feel.

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 12:17 p.m.

"The only question is whether or not USU can keep it going after Andersen leaves. After Keeton leaves. After Fackrell leaves. After Turbin leaves. After Wagner leaves. After Matt Austin leaves. After Kerwynn Williams leaves. After..."

Come on guys... This isn't the Aggie team of the past. We're gonna be just fine.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:22 a.m.

Just remember BYU fans, when you lose, one game does not make a season. That one is my favorite!

• Hochmut West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:21 a.m.

BYU football program is going in a different direction; they are scheduling schools across the nation--most likely the most traveled college in football. They want exposure and recognition of being elite and they must win against good competition in the East, Mid-West, South and far West. Playing Utah and Utah State is not adding any value to the BYU program or direction. No one outside of Utah cares a nickel about who wins when they play.
    Utah needs to step up and win in the PAC12 or they will be just a footnote or doormat for the elite programs in their conference. They gain little by playing BYU.
    Utah State is still a minor program and if BYU wants to add them to their schedule, then by all means have them play in Provo--BYU should never go to Logan.
    With BYUs ESPN connection, and agreement to play on Thursday and Friday nights, well there are a lot of schools easily in the Utah State level that would come to Provo to play...pick up a nice check and expose BYU to their part of the country. Afterall, isn't that what the Indepedent scheduling is all about.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Cletus, love it man. Keep it going. Should be a good game Friday, hopefully Taysom can play like an average QB and our defense can hold strong.

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    Oct. 3, 2013 9:37 a.m.

The reason this rivalry isn't the same is because the Utah State fans are classy; no throwing of beer cups at the BYU players or swearing at them. The worse thing they have ever done was chant over rated in the year they beat BYU and that was a well deserved taunt.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 9:31 a.m.

Everybody can see now that our rivalry with Colorado has more intensity and now proves the rosebowl champion. Because we are good now and byu and utah aggies are not good now because they aren’t in a bcs conference.

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    Oct. 3, 2013 9:22 a.m.

These teams have obviously been very evenly matched over the past few seasons. As a BYU fan, I have a lot of respect for USU's current trend of success. I love watching these teams play on an annual basis -- I just don't want this to become a "rivalry". It seems a lot of Aggie fans have been insulted this past week by BYU fans expressing this sentiment -- calm down, no offense intended. Many of us don't want a rivalry with USU because of what has developed between BYU and utah in the past decade. I've just grown so tired of the name-calling, the over-the-top rhetoric, the arrogance, the insults, the HATRED that has been developed between the fans of the schools. It used to be a GREAT rivalry, now it's become vulgar and repulsive. If that is required for a rivalry, I don't want another rivalry. I like USU, thus I don't want to hate USU. Let's enjoy the annual game and just keep it out of the gutter.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 3, 2013 1:06 a.m.

@JohnJingleJoeJohnsonJubblemier

Texas is in the BIG 12 not the SEC.

This game will be close. BYU will show up with pride like they did in the Utah game. Utah was just better. What if USU proves better on Friday night? Where will that leave BYU as a team? For that matter, where will it leave their fans? It will leave the blue really blue feeling all around for some time. That said, I could see BYU win this game. It should be a treat.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 2, 2013 9:53 p.m.

The only thing that makes this a blowout in USU's favor is if BYU turns the ball over 5 times like they dId last week. Which is a possibility considering it is forecasted to be so cold.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Oct. 2, 2013 9:39 p.m.

RE: JJJHS

"WIth BYU's overly self confident win over SEC Powerhouse (in the minds of Cougar fans) Eastern Middle Upper Lower Middle School they will go into it without correcting any of the problems plaguing them. This is going to be fun to watch. USU 35 - BYU 12."

So according to you BYU fans will dictate how effectively the BYU team plays? Keep trolling, love the logic.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 2, 2013 7:50 p.m.

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    Oct. 2, 2013 6:20 p.m.

This is going to be a great game. USU's defense is tough. After going toe to toe with a great USC defense, Utah States offense exploded last week. I have it Utah State 34-31

• WJCoug South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2013 6:16 p.m.

Because they haven't recruited well for 40 years or more. Sometimes you just get lucky in recruiting. I think USU got lucky.

We will see how they do over the next five years. I wouldn't hold my breath however . . .

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 2, 2013 5:55 p.m.

I just like going into this game as the underdog (BYU)--much better position to be in.

• Blueblood1 Eden, UT
    Oct. 2, 2013 5:35 p.m.

USU recruited "that type of player" while in a lesser conference and after having had losing season after losing. Now they are having success and in a better conference with more bowl opportunities. What exactly is about this situation that causes you to question whether they can continue to recruit?

• WJCoug South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2013 3:50 p.m.

The question is rather or not USU can keep up the success they have had after Keeton moves on. I don't know if they can. Also, they have placed a couple of really good players into the NFL recently. I am not convinced that they will continue to recruit that type of player. In the long run I really expect them to fall down to middle of the pack in the MWC - struggling to compete with BSU, SDSU, Fresno and others on a consistent basis. I really hope I am wrong, but only time will tell.

As far as this week's game - it could go either way, just like the last three. Since BYU has won two of the three, I wouldn't be surprised to see things even out, so I think USU is probably going to win this one.