Utah

Fighting Obamacare a 'loser' for GOP, ex-Utah Gov. Huntsman says

Comments

• Idaguy Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 2, 2013 7:42 p.m.

"If there's a shutdown, it will be a 24-hour shutdown."

Oops!

• HotGlobe SAN RAFAEL, CA
    Oct. 2, 2013 10:57 a.m.

Sounds kind of reasonable, no wonder Huntsman was the only Republican candidate who never got any traction in 2012.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 12:54 p.m.

I can now go on in the internet and purchase health insurance. I can compare costs and purchase a policy that is best suitable for my needs or my family. I don't have to worry about whether my employer offers benefits or loosing my coverage if I face a catastrophic illness. I can't be denied coverage due to a pre-existing condition. My coverage can continue from employer to employer and even unemployment. This whole health exchange idea was originally proposed by conservative republicans in the nineties. Sounds terrible to me. How do I opt out?

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 12:53 a.m.

With Obama, politics and control are central. Truth is secondary unless it fits his purposes. After all, he was trained as a child in the Muslim world, and as an adult, in Chicago.

We have elected ourselves a dilemna.

• gburns52 Milford, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 8:34 p.m.

My opinion is that we should outlaw insurance companies and watch what happens to health care costs. We pay the most in health care costs in the world and are given middle of the pack service. Here's an alternative. Have 20% of pay withheld from each paycheck that can only be used for healthcare. At the end of the year whatever is left, if any, would be split. Half would go into a non-government retirement account and half would be able to be spent however, including carrying over to the next year. Anything short could be used out of the following 2 to 3 years up to half of the 20%.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 6:37 p.m.

re:LDS Liberal

Actually congress does control the purse strings for the federal budget and this was done by our founders to protect the nation from a rouge president who attempted to rule as a king and ignore the constitution and branches of government and their their elected representatives. Who does this sound like... the rouge I mean? Any guesses??

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 6:25 p.m.

re:southmtnman

Perhaps you can explain what you mean by "simple minded stereo-types"?? If you disagree with the points I make that's fine but I expect you to reply to my points with concrete rebuttals and not childish name calling. The points I made stand ...unless you would like to try to rebut them. As as I said in my post it is a FACT that people are losing their insurance + seeing their premiums dramatically increase via the exchanges + being cut to 27 hours by their employer + seeing companies refusing to expand and hire and all of this due to the ugliness that Obamacare has created. Nancy Pelosi once said we need to pass the law before we know what's in it. Well people are finally finding out what's in it and I suspect that is why there is a growing list of people receiving Obama-granted exemptions from this train wreck. Now of course all those getting off the Obamacare hook are members of congress and big business who contributed to Barack's campaign. Perhaps you 'should' be asking yourself why so many want exemption from the law if it supposed to be so great.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 4:57 p.m.

Funny thing is, while you all are slamming Huntsman, Governor Romney actually agrees with Huntsman on this.

• southmtnman Provo, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 2:23 p.m.

@patriot,

"let me guess... you think Barack Obama is the best thing going...Am I right??"

Nope. I've been a Republican for my entire life, and it is people like you with your simple-minded stereotypes that give us a bad name.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 1:29 p.m.

The shut down spinners want to do away with the respect for law and procedure in a fit hysteria building for four years. Juveniles get over it faster than tea party persons.

• BigBuddha Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 30, 2013 1:26 p.m.

I know the Tea Party is true. I know Mike Lee is the Leader .I know that everything Ted Cruz says is the Truth In the name ofthe United States of America ... AMEN

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Sept. 30, 2013 1:17 p.m.

The real "loser" will be the hard working American taxpayer. Mr. Huntsman will learn, along with all the rest of us, that "affordable" health care is not affordable. The chickens will come home to roost!

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Sept. 30, 2013 12:17 p.m.

The struggle over ObamaCare appears to have only solution A and solution B. There has to be a solution C which may include a run by a third party ticket based on the labor movement.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 12:16 p.m.

What you conservatives don't understand is that 1/4 of the people who oppose Obamacare oppose it because it's not liberal enough. They don't want to repeal it in favor of something more conservative. More people in polls blame Republicans for a shutdown than Democrats. Almost 70% view congressional republicans as spoiled children while the numbers are over 10 points lower for Democrats and obama. You're turning off independents and... actually forget it. You know what, shut down the gov't. If you all want to stand by principles where deliberately harming the economy is considered better than deliberately harming Americans by taking away health insurance then go right on ahead. We'll see how many people agree with you.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Sept. 30, 2013 12:07 p.m.

I also believe Huntsman would've been telling the colonials back in the revolution. To sit down and accept taxation without representation.

• Something to think about Ogden, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 12:05 p.m.

I don't believe for one minute we'd be in the mess we're in if Huntsman would have won the Republican nomination and defeated President Obama. Huntsman is a pragmatist! He gets it!

It's too bad Romney had all the money and Huntsman had all the ideas/answers. We, America, missed out!

I'm hoping for another Huntsman run! He's got my vote!

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Sept. 30, 2013 12:04 p.m.

Anti Government

"Huntsman? Just a political chameleon who will literally say/do anything to gain power. These politicians sell their souls, integrity, and everything else for power. They are drunk on it and will do anything to maintain it and that generally goes for both parties."

I agree with this 100%. If people actually held them accountable and not let them tell them how to feel and what to think, these parasites will have no power over us.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Sept. 30, 2013 11:57 a.m.

Happy Valley Heretic.

"I mean really, how many time can it be refuted that "congress is not exempt"

Rand Paul's bill that forbids congress from being exempt should pass quite easily then.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    Sept. 30, 2013 11:47 a.m.

To "LDS Libertarian" you are wrong on many ponts.

First, most Americans identify themselves as conservative, according to Gallup.

Second, most Americans DO NOT support Obamacare.

To "BlueHusky" the Doctrine and Covenants explains to us that you can't force others to care for the poor, but that it should be voluntairy. It also teaches us that a man should do all in his power to provide for his family.

• Kimber Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 11:08 a.m.

So True Governor Huntsman. It would be good for people to evaluate what your party is trying to do...(deny insurance for millions of people?) Thank you. I hope you try a run for President again. Good Job!

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 10:49 a.m.

"True conservatives are still a formidible political force in this country. "

Not really, just a bunch of radio fans whom rabidly repeat what they here from their command station of misinformation.
    I mean really, how many time can it be refuted that "congress is not exempt" and still have the same True Conservatives repeat it ad nauseam along with other fact free information here daily.

"True conservatives" don't seem to care that they are tools of their radios or they would not keep repeating easily refutable tales.

• docport1 ,
    Sept. 30, 2013 10:24 a.m.

John Huntsman was and is the only Republican who has enough gumption to say what he actually believes instead of what the Tea Party and the far right thinks he's supposed to believe. The Koch brothers don't own Huntsman like they do most other Republicans. When you have money and a brain you are a dangerous entity. When you don't have a brain and you need money then you surrender to the far right.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 10:23 a.m.

I guess it is a forlorn hope to try to get so me fiscal sanity in our government.

• gharmons Helendale, CA
    Sept. 30, 2013 10:21 a.m.

While some who are called RINOs don't deserve it, Huntsman does. His opinion simply doesn't influence me at all. His definition of compromise is to give 95% to the Dems in exchange for 5%.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 10:17 a.m.

Although the Republican party platform (personal liberty, limited government, free market economics) are much more aligned with my personal ideals than the Democratic party platform; I have become more and more disallusioned with too many Republican senators and congressmen who seem to just pay lip service to that platform while ever expanding government intrusion into our lives (albeit at a slower pace than their democratic collegues).

It is becoming more and more obvious that the Republican party cares no more about small government than the Democratic party cares about the poor. It is just empty words that are used to get votes while acting in ways that are contrary to their campaign promises.

• IMAPatriot2 PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 10:07 a.m.

LDS Liberal from Farmington, UT asked: "Why are you trampling the Constitution? The Post Office is Constitutionally required."

The post office is not constitutionally required. It is constitutionally allowed. Times have changed and snail mail isn't the favorite OR the most effective method of communication with others. I suspect you don't use it all that much either.

"My guess is you don't need or want ACA [Obamacare] because you are already retired and living quite comfortably on "Social Engineering Projects" like Social Security and Medicare."

You are correct, I don't need Obamacare and I am retired. FYI, I pay for my medical insurance and I contributed much more than I will ever get from Social Security and Medicare. If I had been able to use my money to invest, instead of being forced to contribute to these social engineering programs, I would have a MUCH BETTER RETIREMENT today.

Of course, to those who believe, as you do, that people are incapable of making their own decisions and planning for the future, these programs are absolutely necessary. How long have you been receiving unemployment compensation?

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:53 a.m.

@ Christoph and other liberals:

What you mentioned did happen. Now lets take a look at what currently is happening. Many of the people who were originally in favor of Obamacare no longer want it. Previously, very little was known about it. This 2400 page bill was ramrodded through a Democrat Congress (both Senate and House) in record time... before anyone even knew what was in it. Now that specifics are coming to light, the majority of people are suffering buyers remorse. Literally all polls now indicate the majority of Americans are now opposed to it. Shouldn't the will of the people count for something?

Where do you think the extra money is going to come from to make all this extra health care "affordable"? It won't be growing on trees. Some people are going to see their insurance costs more than double... especially young, healthy Americans. There is absolutely no way the federal government could administer a program this huge without adding substantial costs. Contrary to what Obama wants you to realize, this truly will be the most expensive bill in the history of our country. Socialism at it's best... or rather it's worst.

• apm22 sparks, NV
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:50 a.m.

I love how fighting the establishment is always a "loser" of a fight. At least, that is true for those who gain politically from saying so. Are we all starting to realize that the dance between the D's and the R's is only calculated to divide our nation and keep and gain more control of government?

• justamacguy Manti, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:43 a.m.

Everything was fine for 30 years of coverage. Now Obamacare has sure helped me. Each year since it was enacted my premiums have gone up and coverage has shank from my insurance company.

• Anti Government Alpine, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:40 a.m.

That being said Republicans generally stand for liberty and freedom, moreso than democrats for sure at least.

There are very very few principled politicians left. By that I mean regardless of the uphill battle the right thing to do is the right thing to do regardless if you have all of the govt corruption against you or not.

I understand that people who falsely believe that govt solves their problems don't like Mike Lee and Ted Cruz. One only look at the mess our country is in and the easy trace it takes to see that govt literally has created many of the problems we face.

Dems refuses to negotiate/compromise. They refuse to use common sense and yet liberals line up like a blind sheep and keep voting to expand govt. As long as selfish liberals live in their me-first/whats-in-it-for-me bubble this downward spiral will continue.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:37 a.m.

I long for the days when the state of Utah will once again produce intelligent, thinking statemen like Jon Huntsman. He was probably the best Governor the state of Utah has ever had. How disappointing it is that Utah cannot produce more men and women to run for Congress that are up to the standards set by Jon Huntsman. Utah deserves better representation for our state than Mike Lee. Jon Huntsan, please run for the U.S. Senate or for the Presidency. You will have my vote and dollars to help!!!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:33 a.m.

Huntsman is correct, even if he is a come-lately to the debate. And Matheson is more duplicitous than I thought in his rationale for supporting the GOP in this hostage taking debacle. Wouldn't it be nice if he would just switch parties and stop pretending? He sure isn't driven by principle nor is he a profile in courage.

• milner Centerfield Sanpete, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:26 a.m.

Looks like the only person that has any sense in the Congress or Senate from Utah is Orin Hatch! The rest of them need to be voted out!

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:24 a.m.

FRED44. Sir, your comment is dead on!. As a Healthcare Professional for the last 35 years, I can tell you that our existing healtcare system (Hospitals in particular) is extremely broken. If you get sick, you may lose everything you have if you don't have insurance, or if you don't have anything to lose the taxpayers will pick up the bill when you go to the ER. The fees that our Hospitals and Providers charge have no basis in reality - they are based largely on greed. The American Healtchare system costs much more than the systems in any other industrialized nation, yet the quality of our care and outcomes on many matricies is inferior to those other countries. Thank goodness for President Obama's courge to steer us in the right direction. Senator Lee and cohorts in the GOP have not given us any reasonable alternatives to fix our broken system. Until the present some better ideas, they are largely irrelevant in the conversation.

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:22 a.m.

The liberals here simply are ignorant of the connection between morality, economics, and liberty. Admirably, they want to help the poor; sickeningly, to put it mildly, they see nothing wrong with theft from others to accomplish their goal of helping the poor. When will people realize that Robin Hood was a criminal, no matter how he is depicted in fairy tales. If you steal from someone to accomplish something else, you are no Christian.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 8:58 a.m.

To LDS Liberal aka LDS Libertarian who are obviously the same person (I hope you didn't "like" each others' comments):

True conservatives are still a formidible political force in this country. Unfortunately, there have not been a good number of "true conservatives" to vote for. Too many people like Jon Huntsman put on the Republican badge and claim to espouse Republican ideals but in reality would feel much more comfortable in the Democratic party.

• MemoFromA Demo SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 8:51 a.m.

Well, Jon, its again clear why you weren't voted into office. The people of this country don't agree with you.

And to the facts. You say: "Republicans ... can't have an all-or-nothing approach," The bill the House has sent to the Senate isn't an all or nothing approach. They have simply delayed the funding of ObamaCare for one year and striped out the tax on medical devices. Thats far from "all or nothing"! Not only that, Obama himself has subverted the law by giving special exemptions to some and delaying implementation of certain portions of ObamaCare. If he isn't for all or nothing, why should Congress have to settle for "almost all or nothing"?

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 8:35 a.m.

Very thoughtful and important commentary by former Govenor Huntsman. This is a man that knows how to look at issues and devise "real world" solutions to address difficult problems. Thanks Brother Huntman for sharing your profound wisdom. Please run for the presidency of the United States again, you would make an outstanding President!!!!!!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 8:19 a.m.

@IMAPatriot2
    PLEASANT GROVE, UT

I was asked the other day what alternative the republicans had if Obamacare is defunded. My response was I hoped none because I don't want the federal government taking over our health care and using our taxes to fund their social engineering projects. This concept is difficult for most democrats and many republicans to understand.
    7:48 a.m. Sept. 30, 2013

========

Why are you trampling the Constitution?
    The Post Office is Constitutionally required.

As to the rest of your comment,

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 30, 2013 8:17 a.m.

Not unexpectedly, Utah writers blast the only sensible voice in the GOP. US healthcare is demonstrably corrupt and unfair. My son could not get health insurance due to a hereditary condition. He's also low income, so he could not afford $1000 per month insurance. Millions of people go without healthcare in the country and yet we spend 12 times as much per person on healthcare as does socialized France. Crazy pricing and irrational coverage is characteristic of US healthcare.

The Book of Mormon speaks in no uncertain terms of our obligation to the poor and needy. Yet many well-heeled Mormons blithely spout the nonsense that the poor don't deserve healthcare because they don't work. Yet working poor simply can't afford healthcare so they burden the emergency wards of our hospitals. How does this make sense?

Denying healthcare to the poor and promoting guns for all is the GOP's legacy to the world. Something to be proud of for sure.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Sept. 30, 2013 8:13 a.m.

I think it is refreshing to see politicians do what is right rather than what they think popular. Had Huntsman been committed to right principles he might be president now. It is always good to cut government. We certainly have far too many government employees at present. Seeing a few of them have time off without pay shows how much our government is bloated. We should start with a 10% across the board cut of employment and follow that with 5% the following two years. The private sector can cut people, government never can. Another welfare program, like Obama care, is not needed.

• JT4 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 8:08 a.m.

Huntsman is a cunning, crafty fellow. Starting from his days as governor, he realized that if he took the approach of someone like Rocky Anderson, he would run into a stone wall of opposition from Republicans in this state. But if he said, "Look--I'm a Republican like you," and promoted his Rocky-like ideas as "necessary change", that he might be able to convince some people that his ideas were valid. He has since taken this approach to a national level: He professes to be a Republican, against the likes of Barack Obama, yet virtually every idea he submits fits nicely on a Democratic platform, and he (and now also his MSNBC-employed daughter) are darlings of most of the media--and we know where their affiliations lie. As much as I dislike Obama, I am to the point where I dislike Huntsman at least as much because his machinations are every bit as calculated, and in some ways much more so.

• LDS Libertarian Farmington, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 7:53 a.m.

@Say No to BO
    Mapleton, UT

It would appear that liberals agree more with Huntsman than do conservatives.

=======

It appears Moderates, Independents, and "former" Republicans [you know, the MAJORITY of Americans] agree more with Huntsman than with "conservatives".

• IMAPatriot2 PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 7:48 a.m.

My dream would be to have the federal government stay out of health care, education, work place safety (OSHA), most foreign aid, the post office, etc. etc. etc. I would like them, for once, to protect our borders instead of selectively deciding which laws they will uphold and which constitutional responsibilities they will assume.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 30, 2013 7:45 a.m.

A health Care Bill which is not good enough for Congressmen, their families, and the Obamas. All are exempt from it. The same ones who spend billions in benefits for personal vacations.

I really do hope the health care bill passes, and this country suffers badly from it. Perhaps our country can learn something very rare.--Elect honest leaders.

May our Obama voters get what they voted for, and the rest of us have the ability to ride out the storm.

• Itsjstmeagain Merritt Island, Fl
    Sept. 30, 2013 7:39 a.m.

It is the law. Several States to include Florida spent millions and went to the Supreme Court to end it. The Right leaning Court said it is the law. Get over it and get to work implementing it, then adjust as necessary as time goes by. Nothing is perfect when first launched, this is no exception.
    I do not need the ACA, I have a private policy through my employer. There are millions who need this support, people through no fault of their own can not afford the current commercial policies and have a medical emergency that will put them in bankrupcy and into the streets.
    When I hear that a business is dumping there employees from coverage they had, that is simply sinful. Nothing changed for them, just using employees (people) as chattel and political pawns.
    Read Dante's inferno, that is your future.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 7:35 a.m.

Mr. Obama began debates for the presidency in April 2007; there are no surprises what he stood for and for what he campaigned to do; 18 months later he was elected and there should have been no surprises what he would try to do. John Roberts, one of the brightest people walking the planet, and a very conservative man, cast the deciding vote in the Supreme Court, to let the law go forward, because the people voted for it in 2008. Certainly conservatives don't believe 9 members of a court or 535 members of Congress can over ride the voice of the majority of 300 million people in 2008 and 2012. The law is not perfect and over the decades will be adjusted. The GOP is their own worst enemy, using Obamacare as derogatory term and upset that it is the law named after a living bright man.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Sept. 30, 2013 7:26 a.m.

So in order to appear reasonable many here are saying, yes the law is flawed but..., then they move on to some recommendation. I would submit that is at best a false modesty, and at it's worst an untruth.

The law hasn't been implemented yet so how do you know some aspect of the law is not going to work? The claims of disaster are fueled by ideological speculation and mistruths.

I don't need to spend the time here outlining the mistruths, others have done it well. At the same time the reasonable don't need to buy into the ideological paranoia just to appear reasonable, because it isn't reasonable.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 6:58 a.m.

Mike Lee said. "The best way to do that is by defunding it."

=========

NO Senator.
    The best [and proper] way to do it, is to get the necessary votes.

Extortion with a gun to the head of our country is treason.

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 6:56 a.m.

We need more folks like Huntsman. Unfortunately, our country is being ruled by what is best for the Democrats or the Republicans. There are a whole lot of us out here who would like to see some genuine cooperation and compromise to do the best we can for Americans.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 6:49 a.m.

It would appear that liberals agree more with Huntsman than do conservatives.
    Actually, his standing among GOP candidates would prove the point.
    Huntsman is no conservative, but he is the go-to guy when the media wishes to show that a "Republican" agrees with Obama.
    But have you noticed that Republicans want nothing to do with him?

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 6:46 a.m.

I shudder whenever Jon Huntsman, Jr. opens his mouth. He is a spokesperson for BHO and as liberal as you can get. I totally agree with Phil Allred, Patriot, and Rick For truth. And hurrah for Mike Lee and Ted Cruz who have the courage, integrity, and guts to speak up and oppose something so bad for our country. As far as the name goes, Obamacare should be called ObamaDoesn'tCare. The Affordable Care Act it is not. BHO has exempted himself, his staff, the Congress, and 9 Million Federal workers from this healthcare law. They are protected with their own private health insurance! If it isn't good enough for them, why for us?

Also,I looked up the vote last Friday in the Senate, and our illustrious senior senator from Utah, Orrin Hatch, did not even vote! I guess your calls put too much pressure on him after his barking and name calling at his brother, Mike Lee, in the Senate from Utah.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2013 6:26 a.m.

Long before the Affordable Health Care Act, most middle class Americans were getting clobbered every year by double digit health insurance increases. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) although flawed was an attempt to get health care for all (a good thing), at an affordable price (another good thing). If the Republicans truly cared about America and not just elections, they would try to come up with a solution to the health care problem. They have had four years to come up with this solution and have done nothing. Anyone can be opposed to something, it takes leadership, statesmanship and concern for your country first to be a problem solver.

The republicans could have what the want, a winning political issue if the would point out the flaws with the ACA and propose solutions and work towards solving the problem of rising health care costs. My parents taught me a long time ago you are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Since the republicans have no solutions, they are part of the problem.

• My2Cents Taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 2:48 a.m.

Government will not shut down. What will shutdown is the $16 trillion dollar a year spending spree to socializes the population and put us under the control of governemt. We will loose our liberties and freedoms.

The only opposition to the shutdown of Obamacare are the medical industry who are profiteering by trillions of dollars on government spending. We want less government then we will have to make sacrifices and give up many of the freebie programs and excessive expansion of local government as well as federal government.

There are reports of hundreds of shutdowns and I agree to the loss of funding for all of the non essential governemnt spending programs, including those in education that are destroying the value of an eduction so it can be measured.

If government shuts down all non essential services we the people are the winners and become in control of our lives again. Charity and insurance are not a right or entitlement.

If we keep spending $16 trillion dollars a year of borrowed money we all lose, so we have to choose, we keep american or we adopt the USSR socialist government and no freedoms or rights. I choose liberty and freedom.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 12:24 a.m.

I find myself thinking wistfully of the days when you could have a productive, rational, honest and evidence-based discussion about differences of opinion on national policy with Republicans.

Those days are gone. Mr. Huntsman's and Mr. Bennett's recent shunning by what the GOP calls it's "base" is evidence of this.

To my GOP friends - please, come back to the real world. We need you.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    Sept. 30, 2013 12:05 a.m.

I lost what little respect I had for Huntsman.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Sept. 29, 2013 11:45 p.m.

He lost elections. Who is the loser?

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Sept. 29, 2013 10:39 p.m.

Liberals have long sought socialized medicine because it makes every American dependent upon the government. You vote for what you depend on. If you are dependent you are no longer independent. We had a war for independence and gained our freedom.

Congressmen are fighting for their jobs. I am fighting for my freedom.

Huntsman has no clue.

Here is what I would do:

Submit two budgets: One funds Obama Care and prohibits anyone from getting special treatment. We all live under the same rules. Every congressman, elected official, congressional staffer, Supreme Court Justice. Everyone. The second de-funds Obama Care.

Force the President to choose between facing the wrath of the voters in 2014 or de-funding.

If it is so good, why grant any extensions or exemptions?

The second thing I would do is nothing. I would block any change in Obama Care. I would fix zero problems. The only option available would be "Repeal and Replace" or live with this pig.

The Democrats would lead the charge to repeal.

• Rick for Truth Provo, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 10:37 p.m.

Huntsman has once again shown himself to be a near clone of Senator John McCain. The old guard of the GOP, whom he affiliates with, all feel capitulation to Democratic Party policies is the Standard Operating Procedure for all Republican Congressmen. The Old Guard feels threatened with the loss of control over the voting constitutes of the base of the GOP. They have loss touch with the base, in fact they dislike the base, and wish all conservatives would just go away. We may have to break away and form a new party, there, I said it. I never thought I would. No Mr. Huntsman, you do not represent the feelings of a majority of US voters, and only a small percentage of Republican voters agree with you. If we cannot purge those like you, then we must leave and start anew.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 9:26 p.m.

He's the only republican of late, who is capable of rational thought.

• delasalle Sandy, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 9:23 p.m.

Huntsman as usual is a voice of reason that most will ignore. The ACA is flawed and needs adjustments/amendments/changes, but a govt shutdown isn't the way to achieve this. Let's remember the constitution of our great nation was also flawed when first drafted and continues to be amended/adjusted for improvement. ACA may or may not ultimately be one of many changes required for healthcare in the US - personally I find it deeply flawed - but binary politics means no progress and is not a step forward.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 9:12 p.m.

Thank-you Mr. Obama for being an adult and not ever using the word "Obamacare" ( even though you do care); it is the Affordable Care Act. The GOP uses the word "Obamacare" and they should not, it is slang. Truman and Nixon wanted to change the health care in our nation, let's name it after them.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 9:00 p.m.

re:southmtnman

and let me guess... you think Barack Obama is the best thing going...Am I right?? You would be more comfortable in Greece where you can enjoy the full benefits of socialism .... how does bankruptcy and insolvency sound?? Mike Lee is doing EXACTLY what we sent him to do in Washington...to defend and protect our constitution and bill of rights and that means stopping Barack Hussin Obama. We booted Bob Bennett because he had become so comfortable with the liberals on the left it was hard to tell if there was any red left in him. There comes a time when you have to stand for something instead of being a good ole boy ..get a long..Washington insider. Go MIKE!!!

• Phil Allred New Rochelle, NY
    Sept. 29, 2013 8:53 p.m.

Huntsman is a liberal by his own admission. He is only in the GOP in hopes of pandering to the most liberal Republicans. His comments carry no more weight than if said by Obama or Clinton.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 8:40 p.m.

But they seem to enjoy losing. It gives them a chance to make up wild conspiracy theories to blame others.

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 8:01 p.m.

It's humorous to read comments of those who get all caught up in what a Democrat or Republican says, as if either one represents much of anything good. It must make them feel more secure thinking that they can delegate real thinking to a politician, including Jon Huntsmen.

• IMAPatriot2 PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 7:16 p.m.

Who REALLY cares what Jon Huntsman thinks? He is a democrat trying to convince us he is a republican. Me thinks his self importance has gone to his head.

• southmtnman Provo, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 7:04 p.m.

Huntsman is right... again.

Lee and his bopsy twin, Cruz, are an embarassment to their elected office, the laughing stock of the country, and the poster boys of everything that is wrong with America. They shame the GOP and are leaving a legacy in the party that may be its undoing.