Sports

BYU football notebook: Senior receiver Cody Hoffman suspended for violation of team rules

Comments

• Cleanliness Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 1:59 p.m.

I have to concur with Panama. Get behind the team. Get behind Bronco. Get behind Taysom.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Sept. 28, 2013 12:01 a.m.

Bronco has to take action when a player messes up, however trivial. The players sign that they will do certain things - when they fail to do one or more of those things, then a suspension is in order. If not, there would not be order on the team, which would suffer because of it.

Bronco has a better win %, I have read, than Lavell had. He has also had a few wins against great teams, as did Lavell. BYU seems to always have a slow start, but get better and better as the year progresses.

Football is only part of life, and after football, life gets harder. Bronco is preparing these players for life, not the NFL, or a NC. He is a leader of men, and a great one.

Let's get behind the team, the coaches, and the school.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 27, 2013 7:16 p.m.

I think there may be lack of focus by the team. Reason? Don't know.

It's the job of leaders to get people on board to see and adopt the vision.

Right now I think they may be going through the motions but are not into the game(s).

An attitude adjustment may be in order, at what ever level is appropriate.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 27, 2013 7:09 p.m.

@Noodlekaboodle

----------

Could be but then again Johnny Autograph was suspended for half a game for violating a NCAA bylaw.

Hope Hoffman learns from his mistake and comes back soon. Good luck kid.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 27, 2013 7:01 p.m.

Okay Crimson Club, enough is enough, stop snitching!

Is Jeff Benedict writing another article next week?

• sg newhall, CA
    Sept. 27, 2013 6:38 p.m.

If BYU loses tonight will Bronco suspend himself for at least one game including Anae? Let's hope so because so far this offense is offensive to watch. The Texas game was an anomaly.

• mhilton Lancaster, CA
    Sept. 27, 2013 6:33 p.m.

I wasn't planning on watching the game, anyways, but this just solidifies my decision. If BYU can't get it's act together soon, with regards to suspensions or playing, they might as well kiss their recruiting chances good-bye. BYU is tough enough to get into, let alone needing to be a a stellar athlete. It's going to be tough to have a nationally ranked team if they keep going in the direction that they are.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Sept. 27, 2013 6:04 p.m.

I think someone should suspend Bronco for the horrible coaching and losses! Boise State, Notre Dame, Boise State, Utah, Utah, Utah, Utah...Boise State...Utah, Utah, Utah.

Where is the fairness? Suspend yourself for your mess-ups!

Suspend yourself for hiring a group of great coaches, then turning around and firing them all...maybe Bronco should have to reapply for his position every year, as do the players.

I loved when LaVell...on a radio call in show said, "I never fired any of my assistant coaches." That was a class program under LaVell. And he won doing it. Maybe the wrong people on the team are being suspended.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 27, 2013 6:01 p.m.

Get up and dust yourself off, young man. Your team may not be that great, but have some dignity, fix your issues and make a good go of the rest of this year.

• ClarkeinAK Anchorage, AK
    Sept. 27, 2013 5:45 p.m.

There appears to be a lack of institutional control....

• Phargo Rexburg, ID
    Sept. 27, 2013 5:39 p.m.

@Noodlekaboodle

I agree that there appears to be some obvious differences in the severity of violations. However, the point I was trying to make is these stories are becoming less inspiring. Stories like this are beginning to reflect a lack of discipline on the part of the players and the football program. It's unfortunate two star BYU Football players can't be role models for following rules right now. I respect Mendenhall for enforcing the rules, but I'd appreciate an inspiring story or three about a player who keeps the rules.

• Hondo Sacramento, CA
    Sept. 27, 2013 5:39 p.m.

Oopsy daisy....

• Noodlekaboodle Poplar Grove, UT
    Sept. 27, 2013 5:13 p.m.

@Phargo
    I think the difference we need to note on the Hadley suspension vs this one is that Hadley was suspended for Honor Code violations, but Hoffman was suspended for violating team rules. I'd bet it comes out he missed class, or practice or some other mandatory meeting. Especially considering he's only suspended for one game. I don't think there is any Honor Code violation BYU considers so minor that they would only suspend someone for one game if they broke it.

• Love life West Jordan , UT
    Sept. 27, 2013 5:11 p.m.

I think Coach Mendenhall should take a cue from the high school coach who suspended the entire team. maybe they need to work on their conduct off the field and earn their spot back on the team. Remember Austin Collie sad when you are living right off the field good things happen on the field. If you say stuff like that the only conclusion one can make is that obviously someone on the BYU football team is not living right off the field because good things are not happening in the field!!

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    Sept. 27, 2013 5:04 p.m.

Oh my heck, this is so frustrating. Don't these players realize some of us wish we could play BYU football and these players take it for granted.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 27, 2013 4:59 p.m.

Wishing luck to Hoffman. Glad it's just one game. Hate to see great players sit during game time.

• Phargo Rexburg, ID
    Sept. 27, 2013 4:56 p.m.

What's going on with BYU Football? Is it possible that KVN's touching story, followed by a SI-featured story of Spencer Hadley's "redemption" may have unwittingly set off some unexpected consequences? Are we going to get another story about how Cody Hoffman messed up and then touched hearts with his repentance? What's coming next week? Look, Van Noy was a high school senior making mistakes. Hadley is a returned LDS missionary busted partying in Las Vegas. I'm not sure I want to hear some glowing story about Hoffman's mess up and turn around. Repentance is real, but do we really need to keep telling the repentance stories of BYU Football players?

• ChristoperB Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 27, 2013 4:55 p.m.

Hoffman an Hadley both have nfl aspirations.

Suspensions do not look good to GM's.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 27, 2013 4:54 p.m.

All these suspended people. I guess that it is only two people, but still. Let's just hope that KVN can keep his head on straight.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Sept. 27, 2013 4:44 p.m.

Well, I am sure Bronco has his reasons.

• Arizona Reader Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 27, 2013 4:33 p.m.

Darn, he is our real offensive threat. With Williams out, Hoffman out, and a QB that can't throw, we might be in trouble for this game too. Thank goodness our defense is good. Let's go Cougars!!!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 27, 2013 4:28 p.m.

That's not fair.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 27, 2013 4:26 p.m.

Crud.

Like in the Hadley situation, it's better to hold the players accountable instead of looking the other way, but the timing stinks. At least we're not playing Notre Dame.

Go Cougars!

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Sept. 27, 2013 4:25 p.m.

What is going on at BYU? This is so sad. They have to get serious, every player. I'm hopeful that he'll get his head back in the game.