Sports

Brad Rock: Utah-BYU rivalry needed a timeout

Comments

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Oct. 19, 2013 10:43 a.m.

Count me as a Ute fan who loves this rivalry, does not find it too intense or hate filled and wishes it would continue unabated until the Utes have a lead in the series that can never be equaled by the Cougars in my lifetime (oh, wait--they already do...). The media, video clips, sound bites and the sad contingent of those who post on articles are more responsible for framing this wonderful matchup into something--too steeped in religion (nonsense, LDS players on both sides) too hate filled (umm ever hear a Ohio State fan talk about a Michigan fan?). I speak to my LDS friends before the game and wish them luck and they do the same for me. In the three times they have come out on the winning side in the last, oh--say twelve years, they have not been nose rubbing in victory. Joyful tears of relief were more the norm. Like wise, in the nine years (and last four match ups in a row) that my team has come out on the winning side--they have shown humility and good sportsmanship as they quietly shuffled away in defeat.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Sept. 26, 2013 12:24 p.m.

jarka-rus,

You need to remember what the Utes have doing to you're team for 20 years. Sad, sad when you can't find anything to cheer about in happy valley.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 26, 2013 11:50 a.m.

@Jakarus

Of course I do, I stated 9 of the last 10 years. I can live with that. Why re-iterate the obvious? I guess I need to merely consider the source. What's it like to lose to your rival 4 years in a row Mr. Helper? That's gotta make a fan bitter; case in point.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 26, 2013 10:42 a.m.

@Spokane Ute you do realize Utah sat home watching the bowl games last year right?

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 26, 2013 10:32 a.m.

Ute fans need to remember that they haven't beaten a Pac 12 team yet this year. UCLA will beat them by 40 and throw for 400+ yards

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Sept. 26, 2013 8:20 a.m.

@oldtimefootfibber...."From a former college coach (D1 out of state), you guys sure think you are something." "Funny but I am in my 40's and am independently wealthy. I now work for a sports agent firm. I know what I am talking about, where you fit into the delusional."

If that's true what's your name and what D1 team did you coach, don't hide behind the screen name?

As for the article I really don't want to see any break in this rivalry. This is an automatic win pretty much for the Utes every year why get rid of that....LOL had to throw one jab out there. On a serious note I honestly want this game to be played every year no matter what! Fans from both sides can say whatever they want but if were all honest with ourself. We know the best time of the college season for us is rivalry week!

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 25, 2013 7:34 p.m.

UCLA - USC, Oregon-OSU has nothing on BYU-Utah. UCLA-USC are about rich kids dissing each other. Oregon-OSU is a good football rivalry. BYU-Utah is more like Oklahoma State-OU, A&M-Texas, Texas-OU, Alabama-Auburn. Really nasty rivalries where there is real hatred.

Irrelevant or not, it is a good game year in and year out.

Most the trash talk is spurred on by these articles.

LOL

• The Solution Las Cruces, NM
    Sept. 25, 2013 12:40 p.m.

I'm grateful for the break, because then news articles won't be pumping out BYU vs. Utah articles to foster the online banter. most of the time when it is in person and not behind a screen name, rivalry stuff is light and fun. This blog stuff is ridiculous.

StGtoSLC: I too am ashamed that those who would don the Blue and claim representation of my Alma Mater would act that way. That's the type of Y3wt we expect from your fanbase. Sickens me.

oldtimeftballer: Please. And what great D1 program did you used to coach as an assistant? Just because both of these schools have had two down years doesn't mean they are irrelevant.

• Utefan4Lyf West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 11:48 a.m.

@oldtimeftballer:
    Nobody on these boards have said that either team is playing for a National Championship. This is purely conjecture on which team is the better team. I haven't heard "Utah will be Oregon this year and play in the NC" or "BYU could win out and play Alabama in January." Not sure why everything needs to end with BCS relevancy. Every year people cheer for teams they know aren't making it to the Super Bowl or the World Series. They do it for the love of the team/school. Not because they will bring home a trophy each year.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 11:01 a.m.

If byu had the upper hand, the rivalry wouldn't be as savage. Poor sports.

• RGinSG Saint George, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 10:38 a.m.

As a BYU alum and fan, I am disgusted by the fan behavior after the game (throwing things at the departing refs). I'm also a huge Wisconsin fan, and was quite concerned that the officiating crew who stole the win from Wisconsin vs ASU would also be officiating the BYU-Utah game.

However, bottom line, the officials did a good job, and Utah simply outplayed the Cougars. But to see fan animosity directed to officials the way it was almost made me ashamed to be an alum... then I remembered that BYU itself is still a great school. C'mon fans, act like you believe in the principles (brotherly love, integrity) that make BYU great.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 25, 2013 10:36 a.m.

@oldtimeftballer

You do realize that Utah has been to a bowl 9 of the last 10 years don't you? I'm sure you also realize they missed a bowl last year by one game. I guess if that makes you laugh; giggle away! I think it actually makes you look silly and someone who will grasp at straws to be-little Utah's football program. Pretty sad and pathetic. IMO

• rogerdpack2 Orem, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 9:53 a.m.

This is the funnest game of the year, it's like the Utah super bowl. Really I see more people in UT get up for this game than for any other sporting event of the entire year. Why change that? Plus coworkers get to have some fun poking at each other and everything. Why cancel the super bowl?

• oldtimeftballer Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 9:48 a.m.

Re kittens

Funny but I am in my 40's and am independently wealthy. I now work for a sports agent firm. I know what I am talking about, where you fit into the delusional. Keep making your "greatness" claims for your team. Spew hate to the other side. That's your definition of FANatic. Whatever. U can continue to be an idiot. All I said is the harsh reality. Neither the 10th best PAC 12 team not the independent padded team are relevant. Nor ranked.

I am laughing out loud at your non bowl game utes.

Re kosimiv...that logic works in basketball not football. You don't see Notre Dame playing Idaho State, Tennesee State, Weber State. Ha. People would laugh at ND if that were true. Non relevant non ranked team. Period.

• kram1978 Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 25, 2013 9:39 a.m.

I guess the only BYU-Utah fix any of us will have for the next 2 years is basketball. In that rivalry it has been lately one-sided in the opposite direction. BYU has won 7 straight and 11 of the last 12 meetings against Utah. Interesting that in the 80's and 90's BYU was the football school and Utah was the basketball school. Now it has shifted in the 2000's and 2010's as Utah is the football school and BYU is the basketball school. I guess depending on the sport and team you embrace will determine if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

• LoveTheKittens The Middle Of, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 9:24 a.m.

@JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt

Thank you.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 25, 2013 9:18 a.m.

"royalblue
    Alpine, UT

Yes because BYU has gotten fat on lower tier substandard bowl games and it has done nothing to advance their program. How low has BYU fallen, You went from bragging about a 30 year old undeserved national championship to bragging about horrible bowls you play because you play a flimsy schedule full of teams that are barely Div 1.

• LoveTheKittens The Middle Of, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 9:18 a.m.

@oldtimeftballer

So only the bigtime sports programs have a right to have FANatics?

Nobody is saying the these schools are factors of anything. Go back to where you coached and lecture them...oh yeah, you were tarred and feathered and ran out on a rail (old time punishments were harsh). Drink some ensure, change your depends, and go back to sleep.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 25, 2013 9:17 a.m.

Some of my fellow LDS are completely missing the point of the trash throwing. It is not that "no one got hurt or they weren't hard objects" even though some objects were hard. Water bottles from distances and the pull of gravity can cause serious harm. What if a police officer lost an eye and could not protect and serve?

THE POINT is we are members of of the LDS Church and we represent Jesus Christ, we take on HIS NAME and work to better humanity. No excuses.

Giving into your anger and frustration and throwing objects is serving which master? Who is the master of rage, division and anger? What example are you setting?

• poundwagon South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 9:13 a.m.

I have been a BYU fan my entire life. I graduated from BYU in 1990. I was at the Holiday Bowl when McMahon beat SMU. I was at the LES when Detmer beat Miami. I remember Danny Ainge's full-court drive and final second shot to beat Notre Dame like it was yesterday. Finally, I have always been uncomfortable with the attitude of many BYU fans regarding officials, coaches, players, and BYU's position in the intercollegiate athletics scene. Becuase I love BYU sports, I slog through the mess to attend games and support the Cougars. But, the actions of BYU fans at a recent basketball game and now this football game by throwing debris at referees is the last straw. When did this become an acceptable way to act? Until I feel as though fans have gotten a clue, which I will not count on happening any time soon, I will not attend another BYU sporting event....I am done and don't want to be associated with these pathetic losers in any way, shape, or form!!!

• Abefroman22 Farmington, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 9:09 a.m.

Brad Rock is one of the worst writers in the world. Who takes the time to write about the rivalry taking a break, and then places the blame on one side just to add fuel to the fire?

"Much of the blame for the rivalry’s tone can be traced to the Utes. Twenty years ago they were docile and compliant — and had been for at least that long."

The Deseret News is unbelievably biased towards the Cougars and I find it nearly impossible to read their articles.

• Speed_Altitude Centerville, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 9:06 a.m.

A lot of the fan bashing is caused by these pointless articles and the anonymous message boards like this one allowing people to say things that they would never say otherwise. Way to stir it up again Rock. (He's probably laughing under his breath.) Are these "writers" incentives based on how much vitriol they stir up by these pointless articles? Yep, got me again.

• kosimov Riverdale, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 9:06 a.m.

@ BYU pads it's schedule to be bowl eligible.

It is amusing that so many people here know everything about everything about these two teams, but are so subjective. If you are an independent, you take the games you can get. It is very tough to get a schedule full of top ten opponents who don't want to risk losing to you even though you may not be a perennial powerhouse but surprise opponents regularly. If they lose to a team with a strong reputation they aren't hurt nearly as bad as if they lose to a middle team like BYU or a lesser known team like Utah. (Before the uproar begins, this is a SCHOOL factor, not just a football trait. BYU has consistently had strong teams in ALL sports for some time, which builds familiarity in the fan base. Utah has been red hot or ice cold and has not had the same effect on fans).

It has gotten to the point where each person here says about the same things every post, and it doesn't matter that much how the teams do! They just want to get their licks in!

• AllSeeingEye Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 9:06 a.m.

Silly, predictable article that fails to mention what is possibly the worst thing about the rivalry--the media: both local papers, all the TV news channels, the radio shows, etc., that purposefully fuel the flames of the rivaly to rediculous levels. Take away some of the crazy reporting and the rivalry calms down to a substantial degree.

I think skipping the rivalry game for two years is a big mistake and hope that in one of those two years the teams will meet in a bowl game. It could happen.

The vast majority of BYU and Utah fans I know love the rivalry and know how to keep things in perspective. Without the media hype, the rivalry would get along just fine.

Yes, there are haters on both sides. And, yes there is rediculous behavior on both sides. But, for the most part the fans are great, the teams and coaches are great, and the rivaly is great.

Can't wait until the next game. Meantime, here's hoping both teams win lots of ball games.

Long live the rivalry!

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 8:59 a.m.

Dutchman, I haven't heard a single byu fan suggest Hadley shouldn't have been held accountable if he broke team rules. What we find holier than thou by ute fans is falsely claiming something may have NCAA implications just to justify sending the information to BYU. What Hadley did was not illegal so unless the ute "fans" truly believed there was a possible NCAA violation(which they didn't), they have simply decided they are new enforcer of BYU's honor code. The self righteousness in Provo pales in comparison to what its like on the hill. But I guess one way most teams avoid situations like this is to just not values in the first place right?

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 8:36 a.m.

While I will miss the victories over BYU I want to thank Dr. Hill for the reprieve from this nonsense. And BTW, the Utah Athletic Department did not turn anything over to the BYU Honor Code office. BYU's Athletic Department turned their own athlete over to the Honor Code Office after information which was shared with them by the U contained a possible NCAA infraction regarding the athlete's association with a team booster. That sharing of information is standard among NCAA members. Utah is not to blame for BYU's Honor Code Office getting information on Hadley. That all lies with BYU itself.

• evansrichdm west jordan , UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 8:36 a.m.

StGtoSLC

Thanks

Hope the Utah have a good season, who knows maybe we will play each other again in a bowl game, which would be fun since it would be outside of Utah.

• Hochmut West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 8:36 a.m.

The two teams no longer need each other; outside of the state of Utah, no-one really cares who wins when they play; back east where I used to live, BYU was often confused with Utah and Utah with Utah State-they are not football powers;

BYU as an independent wants to make its splash by being a top ten team each year; so they schedule teams across the country; playing Utah or Utah State does nothing for their resume'; they need to beat ND, Wisconsin, OK, TX, GA Tech, USC etc. on a regular basis to be relevant;

UTAH needs to step it up and win the PAC12; they will only be relavant in the country if they win the Conference title on a regular basis, or they will simply be a footnote in the conference and on the national scene like WSU, OSU, AZ and CAL; Playing BYU, Utah State and Weber State does nothing for them.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 8:27 a.m.

Good on ya evans, good luck to your team as well, especially Jamaal Williams.

• evansrichdm west jordan , UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 7:53 a.m.

I will admitt I am upset with how my team played, but I will get over it.
    Before the game this weekend I was doing some shopping while wearing a Y shirt. A lady was wearing a U shirt. I felt a little awarkerd being the lane was really narrow. I told her good luck with the game. She said the same. It was a nice moment. I had more shopping to do at other stores, so I told my family if any U fan wearing a U shirt made eye contact with me I was going to wish them good luck. My wife was not sure it was a good idea. Some reacted a littel surprised, but most reacted in a positive manner, one even did a high five with me. For a while rivilary was fun. At church the next day I told the U fans that they played a good game against us and won. Good luck the rest of the season.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 25, 2013 7:47 a.m.

@StGtoSLC

I too watched the footage of BYU fans throwing trash at the game officials as they left the field. Absolutely unacceptable, but not mentioned by this news service. Talk about lack of class. If the comments on these boards, by some of the over the tope fans, are any indication. It's really not all that suprising. Some folks can't keep it in perspective.

• evansrichdm west jordan , UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 7:43 a.m.

I can rib my Mormon friends for at least 2 more years about our winning steak.

comment like this is why it get personal.

• uteBusters Park City, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 7:43 a.m.

royalblue

"The Utes needed a time out so they would have a chance of playing in a bowl game some time in the next 4 years."

Sadly, the Utes won't even have their September bowl game to look forward to.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 7:20 a.m.

This board just proves Rock right. The rivalry should be permanently cancelled until BYU fans quit throwing paper at the refs and Utah fans quit drinking booze in LES. Maybe we should continue the Rugby rivalry though? Oh sorry, Utah's team was disbanded for bad behavior. Oh well.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 6:30 a.m.

So now the cougars have three more years to complain how they were robbed. Four in a row and three more to go.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 25, 2013 5:56 a.m.

Lost in all of this pathetic hate talk is the fact these are just student athletes. That's one BIG thing the schools have in common. I'm a lifelong BYU fan but have family that have gone to the U, and have known several football players who were awesome kids. I also see how many of my Ute friends get stung by some of the more personal jibes. So yes, while neither side is perfect, we're just people and often from the same family on both sides.

I was visiting out there last week and when I revealed who I was cheering for, had someone tell me "we don't like you here". Now if someone I know tells me that, I can laugh at the comment, but coming from a stranger, that's just plain weird. Let's grow up people, and act like adults. For those of you with any moral compass, LDS or not, knock it off!

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Sept. 25, 2013 4:06 a.m.

Cougar Cindy,

Your comments are far too reasonable for this crowd. Move along....

• oldtimeftballer Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 11:38 p.m.

Please read all the comments. Every story about BYU and Utah.

You would think you are two Top 5 programs.

Reality check...both the Utes and Cougars are non factors and not relevant in the BCS picture anymore.

Utah will barely be bowl eligible; BYU pads it's schedule to be bowl eligible.

Fans from both sides should get a clue.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 9:53 p.m.

So the fans get a little emotional and sometimes even the players. But it's not like rabid fans are killing century old trees or anything. Let the games continue. As far as dramatic, close games, the last 20 years of BYU vs. Utah football have utterly spectacular. I for one is saddened by the two-year hiatus...

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 9:49 p.m.

Reading some of these comments convinces me that I'm glad there is a break from the rivalry and I wish it was permanent. It's not fun anymore. I can go watch a bunch of two year olds bicker and throw tantrums and get the same experience. Thanks but no.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 24, 2013 8:58 p.m.

@royalblue

----------------

Yes and that is why we canceled the annual guaranteed win.

Utah is 9-3. So BYU has a better chance of Tysom Hill throwing a completion, then BYU has beating Utah.

I will let you decide what's more sad.

• Cougar Cindy Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 8:54 p.m.

Well, these boards are proving Brad Rock is right this time. Cougars we've cried a river, now let's build a bridge and get over it. No more whining and blaming, please.

The game was oh so disappointing, but bad fan behavior is much worse. Heaven help us if the hiatus does not cure it.

GO COUGARS!

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 8:47 p.m.

No it doesn't. Even if the Utes have won four in a row and 10 out of the last 13, the vast majority of the games have been dramatic, often coming down to the last possession or even the last play in regulation or overtime. These games are great. Whatever Utah football player said, "I hope that the A.D.'s pull their heads out.." was totally right on.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 8:28 p.m.

I am super glad that the rivalry is taking a hiatus. It will make both sides sort of go back to their respective corners and be quiet. There is too much animosity in this whole affair.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Sept. 24, 2013 8:16 p.m.

I do not like BYU and probably never will but you will never see me make a post using the word 'hate' or similar; there is just no need for that. I respect the accomplishments of BYU and the talent of players like Van Noy but that doesn't mean I will ever root for them to win.

Spent most of my life in Utah, am not LDS and don't see that the schools are all that similar. One is public, the other private. One is liberal and the other is conservative. About the only similarity I see is they are both located close to each other.

I'm glad to see a 2 year break and hope some of the fans grow up in that time span. Even better, I can rib my Mormon friends for at least 2 more years about our winning steak.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 8:06 p.m.

Here are the y "fans", early and often, eager to cast the first stone. Thanks for making Rock's point.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 24, 2013 7:45 p.m.

One person who I'm sure appreciated Max Hall's ill-advised victory speech was Lenny Gomez. The media used to replay his "you'll be pumping my gas" rant until Max came up with something more comprehensive. Its also interesting to note that the Cougar's haven't won since Max's tirade.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 7:03 p.m.

"I get ashamed of my fellow Mormons when they think cheering for a particular team absolves them from doing what is right."

Me, too. Seeing hundreds of members of my faith hurl things at referees because of the outcome of both a football game and a basketball game in less than 3 years is very embarrassing. When people ask me why so many people follow rules that are strictly for my faith, but fail to live up to principles of common decency, it saddens me to have no good answer.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 6:48 p.m.

Royal

You guys helped us get to bowl games.

Automatic win.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 6:48 p.m.

Can I expect to see you back here in December if, which now appears very likely, BYU fails to become bowl eligible?

Didn't think so.

Be careful how you dish it out, when there is more than a decent chance BYU will be bowl-less this year.

You've won one game. Where are the other 5 coming from?

At least Utah is halfway there. So ya, your smack is pretty ridiculous.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Sept. 24, 2013 5:47 p.m.

I was hoping that the rivalry would end. The contention and silly actions is getting out of hand. Too bad for this fan that this rivalry will continue.

Go UTES!!

• Girlse State Midvale, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 5:38 p.m.

With each passing year Max's words, however harsh, were becoming more true.

• Trevvor Sandy, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 5:28 p.m.

I find it pretty sad and pathetic when a fan base tries to hide behind a lack of a specific honor code as an excuse for poor behavior. Right is right and wrong is wrong. I have a hard time believing the man upstairs has one set of rules for me and another for my friends in the red, be they Mormon, Catholic, baptist, or atheist. I get ashamed of my fellow Mormons when they think cheering for a particular team absolves them from doing what is right.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 5:16 p.m.

Can you think of anything more holier than thou than tattling on the other team? Provo used to be known as a hot bed for self righteousness, but that title has since moved to salt lake.

Perhaps with this break ute "fans" will begin to pay more attention to their team than byu. But judging by the number of comments on byu vs Utah articles I would say that is not likely. What we all have in common is we pay more attention to BYU, cougars and utes alike.

• royalblue Alpine, UT