Faith

LDS general priesthood meeting to be broadcast live and online for the first time

Comments

• lynnea1 JEFFERSON CITY, MO
    Oct. 1, 2013 4:53 a.m.

Now let's see how many go...next year.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Sept. 28, 2013 7:29 p.m.

In my stake for the first time a few weeks ago we broadcast a stake conference to all buildings with satelites (4 besides the stake center) when it was not a multi-stake broadcast originating from elsewhere. We still filled up virtually all the chapel, overflow and cultural hall, so I am not sure how we ever fit in when we had the whole stake there. I wonder if next they will also do the broadcast to the other 2 chapels in the stake through internet feed. We also for the first time had a social after the adult session. If it is just a meeting, there is limit gain from having people grammed together, and I say this loving huge numbers of people grammed together, but it does not outweight other issues when your stake is 48 miles from end to end.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Sept. 28, 2013 7:18 p.m.

sincerely doubt this has anything to do with the Ordain Women radicals. For one thing, changes like this can not be done quickly. I strongly suspect they have been working on doing this for some time, but wanted to wait until they were sure they could pull it off to announce it.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Sept. 28, 2013 7:18 p.m.

I was about 5 years ago reading comments of a divorced father who never got to see priesthood meeting because that was one of the few times he actually got to see his children.

I hope people still go to chapels to watch it. There is a feeling of camaraderie gained that way. Still, there are men who may not be able to make it to the chapel due to work, but could still make it in time to at least catch some of it if they could watch by other means.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Sept. 28, 2013 7:16 p.m.

Technically the article is incorrect. For about the last two years I have viewed conference at a chapel that does not have a satellite. I think we got it through an internet feed that had to be decrypted, but I am not even sure we had to decrypt anything.

Also, in about 1997 I viewed a priesthood session through satellite dish at a members home. Don't ask me how we pulled that off, but we did.

• cris Hamilton, IL
    Sept. 28, 2013 5:32 p.m.

I really don't see what the big deal is. Women have always been able to read the talks in the Ensign conference issue. Just saying!

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Sept. 28, 2013 12:21 p.m.

Doesn't this Ordain Women group have something better to do than insisting on going to Priesthood meeting? Talk about straining at gnats! I don't feel jealous that I'm not allowed at the women's meeting tonight. Why should I? The church is dealing with a vast missionary program, a huge humanitarian program, strident anti Mormons, universities to fund and administer, and many other heavy burdens and this group of strange women want to go to a meeting that is for the priesthood. They must feel awfully insecure. The next thing you know they will be demanding equal access to the restrooms in the church like they have in the public schools in California.

• Zoniezoobie Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 25, 2013 9:41 p.m.

Priesthood holders are encouraged to attend the general priesthood meeting in their local chapel, says a letter to be read to all local LDS priesthood quorum meetings Sunday. The Saturday evening broadcast at meetinghouses represents an important tradition and is an especially uplifting experience for young men, the letter reads.

• DonP Sainte Genevieve, MO
    Sept. 25, 2013 3:46 p.m.

I am a broadcaster out in Missouri who carries general conference. Will someone be contacting me about this change. I will have to make some adjustments quickly. How are broadcasters being notified. So far I have heard nothing.

• GeoMan SALEM, OR
    Sept. 25, 2013 3:14 p.m.

Un-Cool Tom,

Your numerous comments that are posted aren't uncivil, just smug and annoying (I obviously have no clue about any that didn't get posted). The part that you seem to be oblivious to is that the proceedings were never being kept from these women that don't seem to understand that the Lord runs his Church (if they did, they could, and would, go straight to the top with their request). The issue was always that the meeting and seats are intended for priesthood holders.

Where some see the influence of the agitators, I see the Lord doing what I've seen him moving towards for many years; and I've been expecting it to actually happen for the last few years. The adversary just wants it to look like this wasn't a plan, long in preparation.

• dustman Gallup, NM
    Sept. 25, 2013 2:43 p.m.

Is this like when the church stopped polygamy? Or when the church decided that after it built a temple in Brazil it had to let the blacks have the priesthood or no one would be able to go to the temple? If it is, then same-sex marriage may be just around the corner. It really looks like the church bending to pressure.

• RedWings CLEARFIELD, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 1:22 p.m.

The Priesthood Session has always been my favorite and most spiritual experience of Conference. I have enjoyed taking my son with me the past 2 years, and also taking my newly-reactivated father-in-law as well.

Hopefully the broadcast to the stake centers will still occur. I didn't see it in the article. There is something special to me about congregating as brothers in the Priesthood...

• maximum Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 25, 2013 1:02 p.m.

@Wyssaful
    I don't know about online but the Relief Society and Young Women meetings have been broadcast live on BYUtv for several years. Yes, I have enjoyed watching general RS meetings with my wife.

• Wyssaful Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 9:40 a.m.

Did anyone else hear about the Relief Society broadcast is now being streamed live online as well? The men might enjoy watching that as well as its now open to everyone to enjoy.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Sept. 25, 2013 9:06 a.m.

I appreciated the comment of sentimentality of good memories attending with dad, and now with sons. You can still do that. I intend to still go to the stake center - a twenty minute drive for us, just because I like to share that meeting with the brethren of our stake.

I can also see how this will be great for those who live even much further from a building with the church satellite system installed.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 7:00 a.m.

Can't wait to NOT go to the Stake Center... woot!! Of course if my wife is hovering over my shoulder during priesthood session, I'm fairly certain I won't get much out of it. :D

• meandyoujusttalking Griffin, GA
    Sept. 25, 2013 6:35 a.m.

Looks like some might think that we should just get rid of any meetings for men, women, boys or girls which focus on ideas which might be of more specific interest to and/or have themes which specifically relate to each group. (Even this placement of M/W/B/G will rile up some who would say it's an indication of inequality. Wonder which order it should be in? I guess I could have put the younger groups first... or can there be any 'groups' allowed to be categorized as having different interest, say possibly based on age? Or is that also always seen as some sort of discrimination?) While we're at it let's just get rid of local R.S. (Yea, I listed it first!) P.H., Y.W. & Y.M. meetings and all just meet together all the time. Would that mean we could have just one, one hour meeting on Sunday and go home?

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 6:27 a.m.

But how will we, as the men of the Church, keep all the secrets we discuss in these priesthood meetings - how to rule our families, suppress feminist uprisings, and how to properly subjugate, oppress, and domesticate the women?

Dang! This ruins everything!

• maclouie Falconer, NY
    Sept. 25, 2013 5:44 a.m.

Don't understand the relationship between OW and this change. PH Session has always been published in the Ensign (I think "always") and it could "always" be watched or listened to on the web (sure, maybe a week later). However, the Church has always made changes that improve accessibility to more of it's members and changing circumstances around the world (I think "always" - at least since I've known about the Church circa 1970)

• bw00ds Tucson, AZ
    Sept. 25, 2013 12:38 a.m.

@andrew h That's so hilarious if it isn't true!

For those of you who think that this is a result of Ordain Women's activism, I think you are sorely wrong. The church--excuse me, The Lord--doesn't change anything unless He wants to and needs to, let alone listen to a puny group of rebellious women.

• birder Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 9:31 p.m.

The priesthood session has been posted online within minutes of the benediction for some time now. The General R.S. Mtg. has been broadcast on KBYU for a long time, and it has still been put over the satellite to the stake centers. This new development just gives more options for those who want to attend or who want to view from home.

• stnicoll mesa, AZ
    Sept. 24, 2013 8:34 p.m.

First of all this is a great opportunity for all. It does not mean you can't go to the General prsthd mtng with your sons and Father. It means that many who are too far away, or cant leave there home, or other extenuating circumstances-to include non-members who want to learn more but may not want to be so observable in doing so-can learn more and feel the spirit in doing so. It Is not in response to those who plan to protest. I am sadden that so many in their experience and tenure in the church and gospel resign themselves to believe that the brethren make decisions in other ways for the benefit of the church by pressure, intimidation, etc.--rather than by prayer, thought, fasting and revelation--the will of God

• rachy2 EAGLE MOUNTAIN, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 7:28 p.m.

So...do you think more men will be tuning in to the General Women's Broadcast? I doubt it, but they might learn a few things about their mothers, wives, and daughters. I love the Priesthood session. Not sure where my husband plans to watch it, but if he stays home I'll watch it with him. :)

• FREDISDEAD West Point, ny
    Sept. 24, 2013 7:15 p.m.

Ummm. It has been posted in the ENSIGN for the last 30 years that I have bothered to notice. Nothing new about having access to the meeting's information. These women are just about pushing their agenda which goes against all doctrinal teachings concerning the Priesthood of God.

• Wizard of Oz Shawnee Mission, KS
    Sept. 24, 2013 7:13 p.m.

Can we do the same for regular stake conferences?

• FREDISDEAD West Point, ny
    Sept. 24, 2013 7:11 p.m.

@ NoCoolName_Tom

Do you not read the other article. The lost members of OW will STILL NOT Be allowed in. Priesthood meeting is for those who hold or should hold the Priesthood. Not for some of the world protesters.

• rightascension Provo, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 6:05 p.m.

LDS General priesthood meeting for years was the major guys night out event of the spring and autumn social seasons -- sometimes with dinner afterwards. From here on out, LDS priesthood holding men can watch it on TV at home with their wives and kids. This is what we call change amid change.

• Sophie 62 spring city, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 5:34 p.m.

This is progress.

• JT4 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 5:20 p.m.

I'm very happy to hear of this development, and wonder why it took them so long to do it--perhaps they felt the men wouldn't be as diligent as the women about watching if they didn't require them to make a trip. And while I am another who looks forward to going to the Stake Center with my son when he turns 12 before next April, it will definitely be nice to have the option to stay at home when not feeling well, etc. And with Saturdays twice a year being essentially lost to any usual activity because of Conference, I would really love to see Conference go to a quarterly schedule and have all meetings on Sunday. Not only would that help immensely in this world that is so much busier than it was even a couple of decades ago, but the world environment changes that much faster these days as well. Six months between conferences seems like a very long time to be current on topics of importance to the Church.

• Beaver Native Garland, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 5:12 p.m.

I'm glad that it's being covered live, but those who have been complaining that it isn't open to everyone could have watched it on the internet, with a delay.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 4:52 p.m.

Although it is more convenient; I still plan my tradition to take my sons outside of our stake to the building across the street from Apollo Burger so we can be first in line afterwards.

• js_sherlock Provo, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 4:45 p.m.

I think is a great idea. I like the accessibility aspect, for sure. I also like how it removes the mystery around Priesthood session since women were not able to watch it on TV. If it's published in the Ensign and made available on the internet, why not just broadcast it live? Good move, Church!

• sg newhall, CA
    Sept. 24, 2013 4:33 p.m.

Finally. This is a good step to show the world what the Priesthood is all about.

• mhenshaw Leesburg, VA
    Sept. 24, 2013 4:09 p.m.

>>Looks like Ordain Women won! It'd be silly for the ushers to bar them from attending in person if they could just pull out their iPhones and watch it anyways.

I'll be very surprised if any of them bother to show up now. Protest groups who announce in advance that they're going to try to gain entry to a closed meeting are usually far more interested in publicity than in actually attending the meeting.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 3:47 p.m.

The feminists now have no way of claiming they are being excluded from information, and travel times for many men around the world have now been made much more reasonable. But there is no reason to stop the family and ward traditions that have developed. Quorums can still gather to listen to a prophet's voice. Meet afterward for treats and conversations. Relationships with our brethren matter. Keep the priesthood conference traditions alive!

• LDSareChristians Anchorage, AK
    Sept. 24, 2013 3:25 p.m.

elvisroidutexas posted: Can we please do the same for "regional" stake conferences?

Has already happened in Alaska. But then, we have special needs here.

In mid Aug our Regional Conference was re-live streamed from the Stake Center to the two other meetinghouses, as well as

to all the Saints in remote bush Alaska. Interestingly, the feed in our building died about 45 minutes before end of

meeting. But then someone dialed up the conference phone bridge, sat their phone under the pulpit microphone and we

listen to the last 15 minutes.

Then 2 weeks ago for Stake conference, I was able to watch at home just like the rest of the remote bush members were

able to do.

If there is a need, the Church is applying the technology.

PS What does "Can not save, Post contains a non-wrapping long line" mean? How do you identify and fix such?

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 2:31 p.m.

This makes a lot of sense.

• Mrs Ribit Palmdale, CA
    Sept. 24, 2013 1:47 p.m.

I would hope that for those visiting to get entrance to the priesthood session in Salt Lake that since it is for the priesthood that the men will be seated before they bring women activists in. It isn't for the women so to exclude men for political reasons is wrong.

• CARL South Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 1:30 p.m.

In one of the priesthood season, we had to rush over to nearest neighboring stake center when we had ours' digital broadcasting unit broke down at the start. With that announcement, we can now use latest laptop or smartphone application to hook up directly to stake projector units.

• spiderwebwebb75 Utah County, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 1:21 p.m.

...how are we supposed to tell our wives. "Sorry, what we learned was only for us men. You will have to learn of the messages that were shared through our bumbling, rambling,...I think the message was this...oh and I got a high score on angry birds...".

This, my friends, is genius. Now, how do we convince them that every Sunday church needs to be streamed to our homes (with packaged pre-blessed freeze dried bread).

• DEW Sandy, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 1:01 p.m.

@morpunkt, you are not alone.

I myself who are visually & hearing impaired have a hard time adapting what was said and I can rewind for repeats. I do have two young kids in my home and will continue to stake center but after they move on then I can be at home with my wife.

• Kelly D Eastvale, CA
    Sept. 24, 2013 1:00 p.m.

This has been such a great family tradition...the boys turn 12 and trek to Utah to see conference live for the first time and then go to conference and out to dinner twice a year with their dad. Truly Sorry to see it end.

• OlderGreg USA, CA
    Sept. 24, 2013 12:52 p.m.

I remember loading up the family on Friday for a trip to *the* stake at the other end of the state for conference. It was a hoot to hear talks about keeping the Sabbath from someone who apparently did not realize that the Church actually existed outside of Utah --- we were violating nearly all by attending conference.

• elvisroidutexas Herriman, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 12:47 p.m.

Can we please do the same for "regional" stake conferences?

• andrew h Twin Falls, ID
    Sept. 24, 2013 12:20 p.m.

AND in a related press release - The BYU Creamery and ice cream shops all along the Wasatch Front just announced that they are predicting huge 3rd quarter losses!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 12:19 p.m.

Are we still encouraged to attend at a Stake Center when available? I like attending this meeting away from home, many fewer distractions and playing children to avoid that way.

• NoCoolName_Tom Lafayette, CA
    Sept. 24, 2013 12:15 p.m.

And yes I am getting more than a little annoyed that my comments aren't apparently "civil" enough. I'm only saying that this is a great thing to have happen and I feel that this decision was not made in a vacuum. I'm not sure how that's uncivil or "solely meant to provoke". :-(

• NoCoolName_Tom Lafayette, CA
    Sept. 24, 2013 12:13 p.m.

It's great to know that the Church was already planning to have female prayers in Conference before the feminists asked about it and now the Church has opened up the Priesthood Session to everyone before Ordain Women made it an issue. It's great that the Church is making these changes even before others notice that they need to be done and I look forward to many great and important things yet to be revealed even before people begin agitating for them.

• Glootman Rockledge, FL
    Sept. 24, 2013 12:11 p.m.

RG - Ditto. Had good memories attending the broadcast with my sons at our Stake Center.

• NoCoolName_Tom Lafayette, CA
    Sept. 24, 2013 12:03 p.m.

• Palmetto Bug Columbia, SC
    Sept. 24, 2013 12:02 p.m.

Even though we can watch at home my family still tries to go to the chapel for at least one session of conference. We think it helps distinguish Conference which helps our kids recognize that what we're doing is church and not just a TV program. I'll probably still attend priesthood at the chapel because the chapel has fewer distractions.

• hillplus Aurora, CO
    Sept. 24, 2013 12:01 p.m.

How can I keep this information from my guys! "No, you need to go to the stake center, girl time here!" :P

• Ingmaester Tucson, AZ
    Sept. 24, 2013 11:53 a.m.

Just shows that EVERYONE is welcome, now I can watch with my husband at home if we like. It does kind of take some of the steam out of the OW petition and "let's all go to Priesthood meeting" event. I'm sure the Church will let them in.

• California Steve Hanford, CA
    Sept. 24, 2013 11:49 a.m.

What? No more pizza with all the young men after the broadcast? I think that's a tradition we will continue.

• Paul H West Valley, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 11:49 a.m.

Way to go!

Does this mean that the protest group of women will just watch on TV instead of standing in line and trying to get into the Conference center? ツ

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Sept. 24, 2013 11:40 a.m.

This will make my wife very happy. She always wants a report when we get home of who spoke and what the talks were about. Now she will be able to watch with us. We can now make this a family affair, have a barbecue and spend the time together in the comforts of our home. I love the idea!

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Sept. 24, 2013 11:33 a.m.

I never could figure out why this wasn't done in the first place. It now makes it much more accessible to me, since I have a severely handicapped son who needs my help and cannot make it to the stake center.

• relientk Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 11:18 a.m.

Score! No getting dressed up!

• NoCoolName_Tom Orem, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 11:11 a.m.

I'm glad to see the influence that Ordain Women has had with their active petition to attend the meeting. I am doubly convinced now that when they line up for standby tickets they will both get them from the ticket office and will be allowed into the building without fuss. If anyone in the world, regardless of gender, can watch the proceedings over the Internet then it would be extremely odd to not allow the same privilege to those who wished to watch it in person. Which, if it happens, would be a fantastic change that almost certainly would not be happening without the pestering of OW. They've won!

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    Sept. 24, 2013 11:05 a.m.

While I can appreciate RG's sentiment, this change will be wonderful for those of us who live in remote areas. Our stake center alone is over 2 hours away and we're 15 miles from our tiny branch.

Communion with the saints is wonderful, but back in the nineties, when we had to go to stake meetings, we would have to hire an all-day babysitter, pack at least two meals and be on the road for 5 hours total, just to attend inservice meetings. Now my husband just calls in. That sure helps our budget. And just think of how much our poor teen-aged children used to have to spend an entire day, sitting in a hall-way during stake meetings, waiting for an evening dance. They didn't attend many of them.

All these things being said, God doesn't cheat anyone. He has blessed our family continually with sons serving missions and all married in the temple. Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. The family is the most important unit of the Church. Everything else is negotiable.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 10:56 a.m.

Will the meeting still be broadcast at the churches? Or does this mean that I now just watch priesthood session at home?

• liahona Westbank, BC
    Sept. 24, 2013 10:51 a.m.

Sounds like they are appeasing the feminist who plan on attending at the Conference Centre.

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    Sept. 24, 2013 10:46 a.m.

Sure will be convenient, but it actually makes me kind of sad. Some of my best memories are attending this meeting (well, attending a broadcast of it in a stake center) with my dad, and later, with my sons. The priesthood session has always been my favorite, and there is something special about having it as a real meeting, rather than watching it at home. There is a sense of priesthood brotherhood. I plan on continuing to watch it at the church. I'm sure it helps those who live very long distance from meetinghouses.