Utah

Carrying a little extra weight? That may not be a bad thing, study says

Comments

• Bastiatarian TUCSON, AZ
    Sept. 24, 2013 3:57 p.m.

>Do you sometimes wonder what happened to science?

Political-correctness and the mainscream media happened to science.

Old-fashioned, common-sense, tried-and-true behavior doesn't sell.
    Unless it's being ridiculed, of course.

• dlw7 LOGAN, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 6:39 p.m.

In case of famine, I will live longer off my extra 15 pounds than you skinny people...right???

• Downtime Saint George, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 2:19 p.m.

Those pictures in the article are not of people who have "just a little extra weight."

• rattler Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 2:14 p.m.

I've been both overweight/nearly obese (even as a high school multi-sport athlete) and borderline underweight (currently as a very active almost 54 year-old man) and I like being a bean-pole better, by far. It's not so much about what you eat as it is how you eat. While I admittedly don't eat nearly as much as I'm able to, I now know how to enjoy every bite and every meal is satisfying. Oh, and one more thing, sugar is the enemy.
    If you're looking for justification for being sedentary and for over-eating you will probably like what this article says. If you want to better your quality of life, using BMI as a simple guideline for a goal is a very good way to go about it. The action part of it needs to include eating technique AND rigorous exercise.
    Lastly, if I can do it, anyone can.

• gmlewis Houston, TX
    Sept. 23, 2013 2:07 p.m.

I lost 40 pounds in a few months when I suffered from a severe inflamation of my heart incident to Lupus. I had been about 20 pounds overweight, and it was a good thing I had a few extra calories to burn. To that extent, I think this article makes a very good point.

I recognize that I need to lose weight, and I anticipate losing LOTS of weight ... within the first year after I die.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 1:55 p.m.

I think half of you are confusing overweight with obesity...

• Fitz Murray, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 12:57 p.m.

@ Say No to BO You ask what happened to science. The answer is that BMI has nothing to do with science. BMI was invented by Belgian polymath Adolphe Quetelet between 1830 and 1850. Over 150 years later we are using a standard that was based on observation of a math guru and has absolutely nothing to do with science.

In 2006, the Mayo Clinic released a study in Lancet that said "BMI...is badly flawed and a more accurate gauge should be developed....the researchers from the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine...found that patients with a low BMI had a higher risk of death from heart disease than those with normal BMI. At the same time overweight patients had better survival rates and fewer heart problems than those with a normal BMI."

One of these days, we will drop the fallacies BMI creates and find a 'real' scientific measure of one's health and risk of disease. BMI, along with certain other tests like cholesterol (cholesterol measurements have gone from 1 category to 3), need to be replaced with something that is not supposedly a generic fit for all, but rather fits the individual.

• Mike W Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 11:58 a.m.

"A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association indicated that those who are overweight (BMI range of 25 to 29.9) or mildly obese (BMI range of 30 to 34.9) live just as long or longer than those with an average BMI (18.5 to 24.9.)"

"This is counter to the perceptions that healthy bodies are slim bodies."

How disappointing this must be to those bean-poles who eat like birds to be as skinny as possible...

• Sasha Pachev Provo, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 11:43 a.m.

Krista in the article could probably drop some weight if she found an exercise that is the right intensity. Walking will not do it. An overweight person can walk all day long and stay overweight. Biking will not do it either unless you go hard enough. Running would do it as long as you actually run - being airborne for significant periods of time that is, which begins to happen roughly at 10:00 per mile pace. The challenge for someone overweight is that they would be lucky to do that for about 100 meters or so before it becomes unbearable. But if they go slower, it is not enough stimulus to produce a shift in metabolism. So they are in a predicament. A way out could be to run at 10:00 pace for a little bit, then walk to rest, then run again, repeat for about a total of full mile of running. Do this 6 days a week gradually reducing the length of walking breaks until the fitness permits running the full mile in 10:00. By the a good portion of the weight will be gone.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Sept. 23, 2013 11:14 a.m.

Anyone else find the humor in the title of the news article, "Carrying a little extra weight?" and then showing people who are clearly obese.

Carry an extra 50 pounds or more doesn't qualify. IMHO

• UT Brit London, England
    Sept. 23, 2013 9:57 a.m.

@jeanie

You wont be overweight by occasionally eating a treat. The people who are overweight enjoy those treats on a regular basis, sometimes several a day. People seem to think they cannot enjoy food unless it is smothered in gravey, deep fried and the portion size enough for three people instead of one.

Having "excess" weight is not good in any way shape or form.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 9:58 a.m.

I think there's something to it if you are statistically a little overweight not obese. Wouldn't it help also if you were starving if you had a little fat to live off before the body starts leeching off muscle.

I still notice,though, that I can run faster and longer if I am a on the slim side, and I imagine that the need to replace knee joints etc would be less if you were lighter, given you don't have osteo perosis which a lot of women seem to get.

• Shawnm750 West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 9:45 a.m.

@Craigo - The article isn't saying that being overweight is "just as healthy" as being where you're supposed to be. All those health issues you cited are typically associated with people who are obese, not overweight. Too often people confuse the two terms. You can be carrying an extra 10 lbs and you're technically "overweight" but not obese. This article is simply stating that people who are just overweight (not obese) aren't as at high of a risk for other health problems as those who are obese.

• terra nova Park City, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 9:21 a.m.

Super-size it! It's healthy!

• jeanie orem, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 9:08 a.m.

This article was nice to read. A few extra pounds (not talk'n obesity) is not going to sink our health ship. It is sad to me to see people loose the enjoyment of food caused by obsessing over a few extra pounds. If you have a serious weight problem then like another poster said, eat less and move more. But I think as a culture we could chill a bit about the perfect weight and occasionally enjoy a rich, sugary treat or a warm piece of fresh baked bread slathered in real butter and homemade peach jam without guilt or remorse.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 8:57 a.m.

The human body is a marvelous thing and can self regulate itself. My family started a lifestyle change that included a radical change in diet. Going from processed foods and a lot of refined sugars, to a more natural whole food base. Both my wife and son, who are both overweight, have lost weight, and I have actually gained weight. As was mentioned by a previous poster, Large Pharmaceuticals may only be interested in a 'quick fix' and all of the side affects can be worse that the disease. try taking care of yourself and see if it doesn't help with a lot of the problems.

• muffintop Layton, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 8:23 a.m.

This is a ridiculous article. Really not even newsworthy. What?? is it a slow news day?

• Craigo Ivins, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 7:38 a.m.

You will never convince me that that being overweight is just as healthy.
    There is overwhelming proof that it isn't. Heart disease, Joint pain, diabetes..
    How about , if nothing else, just being uncomfortable? How about going on a flight without spilling over on the guy next to you?

• EJM Herriman, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 7:16 a.m.

Jeepers. What's next? Smoking really doesn't kill? A six pack of coke a day really isn't bad for you? How about that jumbo cheeseburger with fries? Having a spare tire around your waist is not a good thing at all. People who are overweight place greater stress on their hearts. Pure and simple. You carry around excess weight something has to work harder and that is the heart.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 7:05 a.m.

Do you sometimes wonder what happened to science?

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Sept. 23, 2013 12:59 a.m.

Another over emphasized item is statin drugs. If your cholesterol is just 1 point over 200, the MDs push your Zocors, Crestors, Simcors, etc. It causes side effects, such as severe muscle pain, more than their claims of "rare" side effects. It's a huge money-making industry.

• Bastiatarian TUCSON, AZ
    Sept. 22, 2013 11:14 p.m.

>I can't even remember if it's butter or margarine I'm supposed to be using now.

Butter, because it tastes better.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Sept. 22, 2013 10:41 p.m.

Length of life isn't the only or even best measure to use, I think quality of life, while more difficult to measure, is much more important to most of us. I personally feel much better and am much happier when I am eating healthy foods and exercising, the psychological difference for me is substantial.

• peter Alpine, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 9:15 p.m.

"no fit in SG" gave the simple, yet only viable way to live healthy. And lifestyle is the only realistic solution to many people's weight and health problems. If medicine had the solution to our health care crisis, people would be getting healthier. But, people are not getting healthier. Medicine treats only the symptoms of diabetes, osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, cardiovascular dz., high cholesterol, not the cause of these diseases. Medicine would go bankrupt if they recommended and relied on healthy choices. As is, if people don't die from these diseases, they stand the risk of dying from the side effects of prescription drugs, after going through multiple surgeries that, again, fix only the symptoms of these diseases.

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 9:08 p.m.

Well being fat sure doesn't help your health at all.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Sept. 22, 2013 7:55 p.m.

Isn't this confusion simply about money?
    Businesses, the medical community, authors, food related sites, exercise gurus, media, etc. continue on with their new theories of weight loss.
    The public, looking for the miracle cure for obesity, are eager, gullible consumers.
    Eat less, eat healthier, move more. You will lose weight and become a fitter, healthier individual.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 7:08 p.m.

I worry about getting diabetes, Family history, there is a lot of it. Having a spare tire around my middle, The Dunlap, over my belt buckle. It's a concern to me. I got to hang with self motivated people cause I'm not. If I hang with those that drag me down I can get the Dunlap fast.

• redshirt007 tranquility base, 00
    Sept. 22, 2013 6:01 p.m.

Why don't Doctors ever look embarrassed that they've been wrong about so many things. They gave all the women estrogen and then found out it causes cancer, they gave overweight people Phen Phen and gave them heart attacks and that was just in the last 20 years. The list goes on and on. They may as well still be bleeding us with leeches.

I can't even remember if it's butter or margarine I'm supposed to be using now.