Sports

BYU football: Jamaal Williams released from hospital

Comments

• The Authority Richfield, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 12:12 p.m.

That was the only downside of the big game was seeing him go down. You hate to see good kids get hurt, no matter what side of the rivalry you're on. Glad he's doing better.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 7:29 p.m.

I hope Williams will be kept out for at least 2 weeks, better 3. No doubt an excellent and glad to have him on the BYU team. I thought Poole may be a little faster and stronger hard to tell for me. I personally would probably not allow my son to play again. It seems there are fewer kids going out for football these days. They need a better helmet.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 5:54 p.m.

Wonderful news. And thanks for all the classy comments and good wishes from you Utes. I wish Jamal continued and speedy recovery. And I wish the Utes well for the balance of their season. They outplayed us and the coaches out coached us.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Sept. 23, 2013 5:33 p.m.

A fine young man that happens to be a great football player. Best wishes for a full recovery and never having this happen again.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 5:25 p.m.

Great news!

That was a very somber moment in the game. I was sure hoping to see him give a thumbs up as he was transported off the field, grateful we later heard from the announcer that Jamaal's mother reported that he was able to move his arms and legs before getting in the ambulance to the hospital.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 4:44 p.m.

good news. Seeing your son lying there motionless has to stop the heart of any parent. With football you are always one hit away from a changed life and it was good to hear that Williams will be ok. Not sure how to take the violence out of the game.Rule changes help but will never guarantee safety. Being at the game the entire stadium - including both side lines - were deathly quiet as Jamal laid there unable to move. Football and rivalry is meaningless when someone's life is at stake.

• ChristoperB Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 1:39 p.m.

My guess is he's glad he doesn't have to play Utah again in his career. For several reasons.

Get better dude.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 23, 2013 12:29 p.m.

Good news! Best wishes to JW on a speedy recovery and back to the grid iron soon

• perfidemintrepidus Riverton, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 12:11 p.m.

I am glad to see the mutual respect from both sides for a talented athlete that sacrificed his body on a gutsy call. He is an outstanding player and his consistent efforts on the field are great to see. What a blessing that he did not suffer a more grave injury as he appeared motionless on the field. Hang in there Jamaal!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 23, 2013 11:05 a.m.

I'm no football player.

After a hit like that, I'd never suit up again. Good luck Jamaal.

Being a BYU grad, I don't understand the comment- "severe disliking for BYU". My experience there was great.

• NDenverUte BRIGHTON, CO
    Sept. 23, 2013 10:49 a.m.

Glad to hear the kid is ok. While I have a severe disliking for BYU, I wish no ill will towards the players, hope he get's over his concussion soon.

GO UTES!!!!

• Hondo Sacramento, CA
    Sept. 23, 2013 9:57 a.m.

From a Ute, I am relieved to hear that the injury was not as serious as it first appeared. I am also glad he is recovering and will be able to play again. I hope it is sooner rather than later. He's a great player! Best of luck, Mr. Williams!

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Sept. 23, 2013 9:49 a.m.

Great News!

Now do what is best for YOUR health and worry about football later.

Godspeed!

• oddman ,
    Sept. 23, 2013 8:39 a.m.

So relieved to read this this morning. While a staunch Cougar fan I moved from where I was sitting to get away from some obnoxious BYU fans. Overall it was a classy act by both sides and I enjoyed watching the teams both make early season improvements and expose areas in need of more improvement. To me that's what life is all about.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 7:55 a.m.

So glad to hear that Jamaal will be okay. I suspect that BYU will hold him out of the next game to give him time to completely recover.

• Arm of Orion Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 6:58 a.m.

I am glad to hear that Jamaal will be okay. Here is to hoping he suits up soon.

However, I take issue with some of the BYU fans here acting like their fan base is somehow superior. Where I was sitting people were calling for Van Noy and co. To "take out Wilson" and to "paralyze him or at least break his legs." Realize people that one or two voices do not a fan base make.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 23, 2013 1:28 a.m.

I understand stingers only become a huge issue for a player and their career if they don't let the nerves that are effected by the stinger heal before returning to action. If one with a stinger plays with their nerves on fire then nerve damage can occur. So rest is vital and recovery then full. Since Williams also suffered a concussion on the play, BYU SHOULD NOT allow Williams back on the field until medically sound. This shouldn't take to long, a few weeks maybe, but many with concussions and stingers heal at all sorts of different rates and speeds. Take caution please.

@wer

Are you suggesting to put Hill at RB? Your comments steer to that way of reasoning. It's not an unrealistic approach for Anae and Bronco, but only if they consider using Hill in a change up scheme where he comes into the game for 8 plays or so. Maybe running shotgun wildcat. Is Ammon Olsen good enough? I have no idea. Hill being a runner and occasional passer is not risky for BYU to worry about relative to Hill getting hurt if he is starter option B repetition wise. Wildcat?

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Sept. 23, 2013 1:04 a.m.

Good news!

Hope the recovery goes well.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Sept. 23, 2013 12:52 a.m.

Great to hear about Jamaal.
    Sad to see an anemic red-zone offense, though.
    If BYU doesn't get a consistent passer, it will be a long season.
    The hurry-up offense means nada, if you don't have a balanced attack. It's just a gimmick, otherwise.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 11:16 p.m.

Very glad to hear this news. Hope to see him run roughshod over teams in a few weeks. Good luck, 21.

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    Sept. 22, 2013 10:44 p.m.

A Ute fan that's glad to hear he's OK. I hope he uses extreme caution in making the decision about when he's going to return. He might even need to use a medical redshirt. Given the latest research on the negative effects of concussions in football players, he needs to make an informed decision as to when he'll be able to return.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 10:23 p.m.

For most of fall camp we read that the Cougs had a stable full of good running backs.

It's obviously past time to trot out other players and take the burden off Williams!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 22, 2013 8:58 p.m.

Nothing greater than sportsmanship. Ute fans are good.

Good luck Jamaal, and don't lose your humor.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 8:31 p.m.

Glad to hear that it is not as serious as it looked. Best wishes for a full recovery.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 22, 2013 8:12 p.m.

The same Utah fans that were happy about this injury can go hang with the BYU fans that threw trash at the refs. Those type of fans are not needed and wanted.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 7:43 p.m.

To clarify by what I mean by "the U" I mean their players. People in the stands dressed in red are a non issue. There are sick people on both sides of the fandom no doubt.

Again, the issue is Jamaal's recovery, not classlessness from people in the stands. Jamaal is one of my classmates; the U of U fans are not. They are a complete non issue in my mind and I pay them no heed.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 22, 2013 7:36 p.m.

Great news! Like every real Ute fan, I'm breathing a sigh of relief---along a healthy sigh of satisfaction that will last for a long, long time......

• Utes22 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 7:16 p.m.

Relieved to hear that Williams was released today. Here is to a speedy recovery.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 6:58 p.m.

Great news!!

Thanks for the update and best wishes to Jamaal!

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 6:03 p.m.

This is the perfect opportunity to replace Jammal for the time being with Hill and let Ammon throw the ball as QB. All Hill has to do is run the ball, something he excels at. Ammon can throw the ball, something that Hill is clueless about.

• Beaver Native Garland, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 5:47 p.m.

Good news -- and I mean primarily for Jamaal. Yes, I'm a Y fan, but my concern is primarily for the young man. An injury is a serious matter, no matter which side you are on. Best wishes for his continued recovery.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 22, 2013 5:47 p.m.

This Utah fan wishes Williams a speedy recovery.

• 86&90UTE Holladay, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 5:17 p.m.

This Utah fan is wishing Williams a speedy recovery. Hopefully, he will be held out until all his post-concussion symptoms have cleared. He has an awesome career ahead of him. Multiple concussions back to back could derail that. He will most likely be back and as dangerous as always in a few weeks. Good luck! By the way, why don't they ever run him to the outside, instead of straight up the middle. Big back= middle. Speedy back=outside.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 4:21 p.m.

"However two fans on the blog were quite giddy at what happened."
    Steven Jarvis, keep in mind that with the anonymity of the internet, those two fans were probably 12 years old, literally. You are upset with kids. If the internet was your only option to watch the game, find some way to cover up the game blog. Nothing good will ever be found there.

• SoCalTrueBlue San Diego, CA
    Sept. 22, 2013 3:43 p.m.

This was the only article about "the game" that I was eager to read. So very grateful that this outstanding young man appears to be on the mend from what could have been a devastating injury. Best wishes for a full recover, Jamaal.

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 3:16 p.m.

Vladhagen - "The U handled the injury well"

Not where I was sitting.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 22, 2013 3:15 p.m.

I am very relieved. When they carted him off the field, I didn't see any movement of his limbs, not even a thumbs up. I am very happy for him and his family.
    If he truly had a concussion, he won't be playing this weekend, but possibly back for Utah State.

Personnel-wise, the loss of Williams is a much bigger deal than the loss of Hadley, although Alisa, Lasike, and Hine did a pretty good job filling in.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 2:49 p.m.

Great news!

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 2:46 p.m.

"BYU received some good news Sunday morning"

This is great news to everyone. As a Ute, watching this nightmare two weeks in a row took the fun out of the win.

Storm Woods returned to Oregon and is expected a full recovery too.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 2:40 p.m.

@Vladhagen

I too hope Williams recovers fully. Losing your most productive offensive player is never good. Its even worse when his health or even life is on the line.

My experience regarding Ute fans was a lot different than yours as I watched the game via the internet. The majority were concerned with his health and wished him to give a thumbs up or another sign he was alright. However two fans on the blog were quite giddy at what happened. One hoped for paralysis. They had other ugly hateful things to say as well about the University, the cheerleaders and the culture so the comments after the injury were to be expected. These two fans represented why I wish BYU would never play Utah again. The game was great. The fans were not.

• SCUte Rock Hill, SC
    Sept. 22, 2013 2:35 p.m.

This die hard Ute fan is very happy to learn Jamal will be OK. He is a good kid and if he stays healthy will have a bright football future ahead of him. Even without football this kid is going to succeed in life. Get back on the field soon - you are one Cougar I really root for!

Go Utes!

• Osmos Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 2:26 p.m.

Best wishes on a speedy return Jamaal.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 2:15 p.m.

Glad to hear it. He's a gamer and hopefully he can get back on the field soon.

• cougar76 Raleigh, NC
    Sept. 22, 2013 2:04 p.m.

This is the only thing that really matters about the game. Glad to know he is okay.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 1:52 p.m.

No one wants to see one of these kids hurt. This is good news for all football fans from both Utah and I'm sure byu.
    I wish him a full recovery and success on the field.

Go Utes

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 1:44 p.m.

Good to hear Jamaal will be okay. It is always hard to see things like that. The U handled the injury well, so compliment to them on that. Hope jamaal has a speedy recovery.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 22, 2013 1:05 p.m.

This is wonderful news. All the best to Williams for a complete and speedy recovery.

Thanks DN for keeping up on the story.