Sports

Current and former BYU and Utah players talk about the rivalry and what it means to them today

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 20, 2013 11:37 a.m.

CoufaninTx,

Power conference teams aren't rivals with non-power conference teams.

Tell me one that exists between a BCS team and non BCS team other than Notre Dame. byu is no Notre Dame.

It doesn't happen.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 20, 2013 10:10 a.m.

"We have to ask past Utah players what the rivalry is like, because Colorado is the rival of current players."

So why are there no ute fans, zero, nada, zip - who have posted a single comment in the Denver Post about the Buffs? Ask any Buff fan, and they will quickly tell you the Cornhuskers are their rival.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 20, 2013 10:08 a.m.

I wish some one would interview "Darren Lucy" to find out what this rivalry means to him. I don't excuse Hadley, but holding onto the pictures until the rivalry game is about as low as it gets. If he released the picture, to help Hadley, as soon as he got it; I have no problem. Some ute fans stoop to the lowest levels of decency.

• Blues Portland, OR
    Sept. 19, 2013 9:09 p.m.

Did someone just compare Utah to UCLA? Utah has sometimes been a big fish in a small pond and other times has been a small fish in a small pond. Get yourself a winning season in the PAC before you call yourself a "power conference team." Right now you're just a losing team in a power conference.

• perfidemintrepidus Riverton, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 4:50 p.m.

I obviously read that wrong as he was referring to his time at Miami. Please forgive my ignorance! I'm still not figuring out what he meant by Ty Detmer never thanking him. What does the QB for BYU have to say with the poor offensive showing of Miami in that game? Strange quote...

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 3:14 p.m.

Just as UCLA doesn't consider non power conference San Diego a rival, times are changing where the Utah byu "rivalry" will only be a rivalry in Provo.

Colorado has proven so far a better opponent than byu and I consider it a big step up. I'll take a power conference rival over a non power conference rival anyday.

Name me another big rivalry involving a power conference team and a non-power conference team.

Anyone?

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 3:05 p.m.

BYU players are having to go back and ask older players what beating Utah feels like, because they don't know.

Van Noy, Hoffman, Riley Nelson, Jake Heaps

None of them know what its like to beat Utah