Sports

Jeff Benedict: The real reason Kyle Van Noy returned for his senior season

Comments

• SSmith Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 5:11 p.m.

Great article Jeff!

These stories are worth reading. The lessons learned are worth applying.

I think Kyle Wittingham is a very good coach and the UofU is lucky he is there. His players are better because of him.

I also see now that BYU is very fortunate to have Bronco. He is changing generations by embracing BYU's mission and philosophy. BYU and Bronco are a unique fit for many players.

Go Cougs!

• Uncle Rico Coug AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 5:05 p.m.

Silent Lurker and others: Yes, you are right that BYU fans heckle opposing team's players. However, the percentage of BYU fans that heckle compared to Utah's hecklers is FAR LESS. Plus, Utah's hecklers use profanity that is most times gutter language! Yes, there are some times that you will hear some minimal swearing from BYU fans but it doesn't hold a candle to Utah's fans!

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 4:42 p.m.

WA_Alum&Dad,
    "We are judged by the company we keep. How do Ute fans hold their heads up while tolerating the constant bad behavior of other Ute fans? I didn't understand it 30 years ago, and I don't understand it now."

Being from Washington, are we to assume you are a bleeding hart liberal pot smoker? No, because we shouldn't judge people we don't know. I don't know how you can sit there and act like BYU fans are classier or more respectful than Utah fans? All this while supposedly holding ones self (and ones company) to a higher standard of a representative of a church I am a member of. I didn't understand this type of hypocrisy as a child and I don't understand it now.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    Sept. 18, 2013 4:36 p.m.

KVN,

Purpose, redemption, hope, resolve, change,. You walk the walk brother and have given us all an example of how to become better. Actions are more significant than just words.

Thanks.

• War dog Taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 3:42 p.m.

I had season tickets to Utah and took my young boys, but the foul mouthed drunks at the Utah game, not just against BYU but all teams convinced me I didn"t want to expose my family to any more of it

• tlvannoy Orem, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 3:23 p.m.

With Kyle being my brother it has been pretty awesome seeing his transformation. None of us are perfect and we all make mistakes. I think it is important however to remember that situations like these happen on a daily basis where BYU students make mistakes and are given second chances to prove themselves.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Sept. 18, 2013 2:47 p.m.

Hey, Who am I Sir, complete your present applicable fight song,i.e., Who am I sir, a PAC10 + 2 bottom dweller am I. That is correct, isn't it?

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 1:17 p.m.

I graduated from the U. My Dad is a die-hard Cougar fan. I had a relative playing for Stanford when they beat the Cougs in LES. During that game, my Dad was forced to wear a Stanford shirt, but was a good sport about it.

During halftime, my Dad was walking to the bathroom when out a group of obnoxious BYU fans jumped right up in his face, screaming, "You suck! Stanford sucks! You suck, dude!!!" (Shocker, right? "Our fans would NEVER do something like that!" Please.) Calmly reaching into his wallet, my Dad flashed his BYU alumni card, and simply said, "Shut up!"

My relative playing for Stanford said that of all the teams in the PAC-10 (at the time), Oregon State had the dirtiest players, by things that would happen in a pile up, degree of trash talking, etc. But he went on to say that by far, the team that trumped them all was BYU. He's a rough and tumble guy, and even he was shocked at things BYU players said the entire game, things he'd never even heard before. So don't kid yourselves. BYU has plenty of classless players and fans, too.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 12:28 p.m.

I like Van Noy's story. He has become a good man and will do good things in the world after he leaves BYU. Thanks to Bronco for believing in him and giving him the chance to become the mane he is.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 12:17 p.m.

For anyone who says they can't change, this kid is proof you can. And to play in a bowl game and after your thoughts are turned to a national tragedy of that year. That shows tremendous growth as a person and human being. This kid is an example to all of us on how to behave. So proud of Kyle for his tenacity not only on the field but off it as well.

• The Solution Las Cruces, NM
    Sept. 18, 2013 12:11 p.m.

This article is about Kyle Van Noy, not about which fanbase between U and BYU is classier.

Kyle is all class, and yes while there are other athletes out there that are like him, they are rare and the exception, not the norm.

Kyle never gloats after wins, like number 87 was doing to JD Falslev last year. Just saying.

Now I would like to get some articles about Hoffman. Why he chose to stay, and how his experience is going at an LDS affiliated school that is mostly white and "stone-cold sober."

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 12:02 p.m.

Silent Lurker

"Perhaps you should dress as a Utah fan and sit in an unknown area to see how it feels to be the visitor in a Utah vs. BYU game at BYU."

I've attended dozens of BYU-Utah games since the 70's and frankly there's no comparison between the boorishness of a large segment of Utah fans at RES today and the relatively mild heckling of a few BYU fans at LES.

The behavior of Utah fans has changed dramatically in the last dozen or so years.

As a Utah student (btw, Utah grad), I once sat in the middle of the Utah student section dressed in blue and was mildly heckled by Utah fans.

I was sitting in the middle of the Crimson Club dressing in BYU blue for Beck-to-Harline and was treated with respect by Crimson Club members.

But, I've also witnessed a Utah spend the entire game with his back to the field screaming obscenities at the BYU fans seated 10 rows above him, and the same type of behavior repeated at many recent games at RES.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 11:23 a.m.

@WA_Alum&Dad

Which Utah fans tolerate the bad behavior? In section W10 it isn't tolerated. We've asked security to remove unruly fans. When I was with my daughters post-game a few years ago I called out a drunk Utah student who was yelling expletives about BYU. He wanted to fight me which was fine because I could deal with it. But, do you blame others that don't even want to think about getting into a fist fight? It's real easy take potshots when you don't know all the facts.

And then there's the matter of pride. Which do you consider the worst sin: pride or boorish behavior? How can BYU fans hold their heads up while tolerating the constant prideful behavior of other BYU fans?

• Idaho_Boy Aberdeen, ID
    Sept. 18, 2013 11:19 a.m.

The reason why DN keeps writing articles on Jimmer/Ziggy/KVN is because they know that they will be read. Their paychecks are dependent on eyeballs viewing their pages. It's simple economics.

All fans need to keep it classy. Emotions will be running high this week, but it is only a game. An important game, but a game nonetheless. Having attended both schools, I can honestly say that they are both good institutions. A lot more similarities than the extreme fans like to admit.

I loved attending BYU and I bleed blue. Go Cougs! BTW that was James Lark not Riley Nelson that threw that INT.

• technonerd7 orem, ut
    Sept. 18, 2013 11:15 a.m.

Silent Lurker,

I am a season ticket holder at LES. I am full bore, BLUE and WHITE face paint, Blue Mohawk, Fire the cannon BYU Touchdown Club Member, Cougar Club member. I have nothing but nice things to say about Utah fans who have sat by us at BYU games. And I have never, EVER, been derogatory or mean to any fan of any other school. As a fan, it is my responsibility to represent both the LDS faith and BYU in a respectable manner. I have not been treated the same at Rice Eccles. I will never go back to a game there wearing Blue and White. I do have several friends who are Ute fans and they are great, but my experience at Rice Eccles stadium has not only solidified my choice not to go there for another game, let alone bring my wife, and also to treat ANYONE at LES with respect.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Sept. 18, 2013 10:17 a.m.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 10:09 a.m.

Kyle seems a terrific young man., I believe he has an insurance policy for this year too and i am sure that helped him to stay.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 10:03 a.m.

@Deepblue

Perhaps you should dress as a Utah fan and sit in an unknown area to see how it feels to be the visitor in a Utah vs. BYU game at BYU. I challenge you to act as a BYU fan would act only posing as a Utah fan and see how you are treated by your own! You might come away with a much different perspective. Take some advise if you want to throw rocks, you should not live in a glass house.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    Sept. 18, 2013 9:39 a.m.

Thanks for returning to BYU for another year KVN. You're a shining example of what BYU is, or at least, should be, all about.

Good luck versus Utah this Saturday - if any BYU ever deserved to go out a winner over Utah, it's you!

-------------

As far as the boorish behavior of many Utah fans, it's just a reflection of who they are. Not all Utah fans are like that, although very few of those who aren't are willing to step up and voice their disagreement with their fellow fans who do behave that way.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 9:34 a.m.

I believe KVN was every bit as calm as you claim. I question that it was for the reasons your article has implied. I doubt that KVN even heard any of the heckling going on around him. Many athletes start their preparation well in advance of game time to narrow their focus to the task at hand. Most sports athletes block out everything but the sport itself. It is this ability to focus that is needed to compete on a higher level. This is often the difference between being successful and unsuccessful.
    I can assure you that BYU fans heckle others just as much and as viciously as any other schools fans. You sir, like many BYU fans want to believe that they are classier or better than other schools fans. This is a self proclaimed myth and you should know better. It is not because of BYU that KVN acted as any responsible adult should. It is because he is a highly focused mature adult athlete and chooses to set his focus and ignore the poor sportsmanship of others around him. BYU athletes are not the only ones able to do this.

• Allen Salt Lake valley, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 9:17 a.m.

I'm not a football fan, but I appreciate your articles about KVN as a person. Thanks to both of you!

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    Sept. 18, 2013 9:02 a.m.

Everyone got on Max Hall for his comments about Ute fans. Here is an unbiased article detailing the rude obnoxious behavior of some of the Utah fans. Many are rude and obnoxious. I've been to rivalry games at RES and literally was concerned for my safety. I challenge whether Ute fans can say the same when they attend a rivalry game in Provo.

• Witty Username Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 8:36 a.m.

KVN is the man!

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 8:27 a.m.

KVN - A role model for this generation.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 18, 2013 7:54 a.m.

@Who Am I Sir -

I'll take 5 more of these articles, or more. They're like a breath of fresh air.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 6:27 a.m.

Thanks for these articles on KVN! Can't always control outside events, can control the inner response, & direction of our lives, this is a great message to everyone.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 5:47 a.m.

Stud! In every sense of the word!

• bw00ds Tucson, AZ
    Sept. 18, 2013 12:37 a.m.

I'm loving these articles. Guess I'll have to buy the book.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 10:26 p.m.

I believe this is the 5th straight article about Van Noy; with one more to come. Carefull - avoid the golden calf syndrome.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Sept. 17, 2013 9:40 p.m.

Van Noy is a beast and it will be quite an accomplishment for Utah to beat his team 4 years in a row. Nice article and expect him to have a good pro career.

• Downtownchrisbrown ,
    Sept. 17, 2013 9:16 p.m.

I'm not sure that BYU could ask more of their football program right now. Last year it was all about Ansah, the super humble what's football? guy going to the NFL. Now it's going to be all about Van Noy. A guy who could have gone anywhere, stayed at BYU despite his challenges, came back because he wanted to prove that he could graduate and inspire others to do the same. Two super-awesome football players that represent both the University and the church well.

• Don't Feed the Trolls Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 8:49 p.m.

A fisherman trolls, fish take the bait.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 17, 2013 8:36 p.m.

And I think this is the year Kyle makes you eat your words. You sounded good eating those bitter things after the Texas game. Don't know what you sounded like after the OSU game because I just didn't care.

But maybe you're getting good at it. Those sharp bitter words go down as easy as you throw them up?

• Coug Pleasant Grove, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 7:49 p.m.

In a messy world, it's nice to focus the attention on the peacemakers.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 6:45 p.m.

That picture with the story is awesome. KVN is like superman. Not only does he fly around blockers, he literally FLIES around them too!!