Sports

BYU football: Spencer Hadley suspended 5 games for honor code violation

Comments

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 22, 2013 3:07 a.m.

BYU touts the Honor Code as something to be proud of but gets on the people who report the offender? Makes perfect sense.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Sept. 19, 2013 9:20 p.m.

Guam_Bomb

An Honor Code with no enforcement is really nothing more than a suggestion code.

Don't kid yourself, though, every school has rules that, if violated, could result in a player getting kicked out of school. BYU's rules just happen to be unique and more strict than most and, while some recruits may shy away from such restrictions, other recruits openly embrace those restrictions.

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    Sept. 19, 2013 6:57 p.m.

I hope recruits are watching. Whether your LDS or not, you have to ask yourself if you really want to put yourself in this type of a situation. BYU has the right to determine who will play for them. But as a recruit, am I willing to risk the embarrassment, loss of scholarship and eligibility that could come from an honor code violation?

BYU wants to be different and more power to them. Hadley knew what he was signing up for. But as a recruit, do you really want to be treated this way if you make a mistake?

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 9:14 a.m.

UteMiguel

What's wrong with announcing it as an Honor Code violation, if that's what it is?

As long as the details are kept confidential between the individual and Honor Code office, it really doesn't matter. People are going to speculate regardless of what's announced.

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    Sept. 19, 2013 5:38 a.m.

Why do they announce an honor code violation? Why can't they just say violation of team rules and leave it at that? Why does the public need to know it is an "honor code" issue?

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 11:14 p.m.

wwookie

Gotta laugh at the whiny BYU haters who complain about BYU students being "forced" to abide by the Honor Code, then accuse BYU of "selectively enforcing" the Honor Code by not giving BYU athletes what the whiners consider a stiff enough penalty for committing an infraction that the whiners have only heard rumors about.

Whittingham gives Blechen a relative slap on the wrist for multiple failed drug tests, which by the way, are grounds for getting kicked out of Utah, yet the whiners dismiss Blechen's infractions as much ado about nothing.

Hadley is suspended for five games during the heart of BYU's schedule.
    Blechen is suspended for three supposedly meaningless pre-conference games.

Go figure.

• Ldsrm Spanish fork, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 8:37 p.m.

Dear Ted H.
    Blechen wasn't suspended until he'd had multiple failed drug tests. yes but I'm fairly certain Blechen did not sign a honor code and

Bronco would hand out a suspension immediately upon a first failed drug test.

because Bronco has to have there honor code held up.

also remember that every byu student sings the honor code !!! and knows because thy represent Brigham young university thy are held to higher standard.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 6:48 p.m.

As for comments that BYU should not be publicizing this because they don't make public announcements when ordinary students are disciplined, think of this: if Joe Blow, majoring in biology, is reported for, say, public intoxication, and is therefore suspended from school for a couple of semesters, do the news media really care. Is that going to get reported? Is Carri Jenkins asked for statements about Joe Blow?

Contrast that to when a very important football star gets suspended. Everybody wants to know what happened. If you fault the University for answering questions, then I would fault it for lying and saying nothing happened. Any celebrity knows that the price of fame and fortune is public scrutiny.

I cannot think anybody regrets this more than Spencer, and I am very happy he will get a chance to play against Boise State and at least finish out his BYU career on the field.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 4:54 p.m.

Ken, BYU players agree to and sign off on the honor code. Whether they like it is a personal matter. Anybody can see that some players mess up - and it has always been that way. Are you saying the honor code not a good thing? Maybe you were saying that none of the players like it? Or, to be more cynical, maybe you were implying that none of them like it and it is not worthwhile? Strange comment, Ken.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 3:11 p.m.

Surprised its only a five game suspension. If the rumors are true, most students are kicked out of school for this.
    But it isn't a double standard cuz he really seems repentant.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 3:06 p.m.

I agree with most sentiments expressed here. If he did not commit any illegal act then I defer to the Y's punishment. Hadley agreed to the Y's conditions. I do feel sorry for Hadley. His playing status would probably not have been affected at any other public university. That said, if the posting on cougarboard is true then I will be most interested on the actions taken against the university and the supporter. If the U was suspended for two years for Coach Majerus providing cookies to the basketball team while watching team films and for taking Van Horn to Bill and Nadas to inform him of his fathers death (at Mrs. Van Horn's request) then what fate awaits the Y?

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 2:55 p.m.

@GK Willington

LOL! I actually don't think that wishing Lane Kiffin would go far afar away is actually classified as ill will. I think it would actually better and benefit the university to see that guy leave. I hear ya there.

GO BRUINS!!!

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 2:45 p.m.

to motorbike

"...it's not like the guy's a criminal."

But did he even apply to the University of Florida?

• GK Willington Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 2:43 p.m.

re: UtahBruin

"I am a huge UCLA fan and I never wish any ill will against usc,"

Personally, I'm mixed about the trojans but would not mind seeing Lane Kiffin go far far away.

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 2:41 p.m.

re: Spokane Ute (pg 1)

What about Sharpie tatoos?

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Sept. 18, 2013 1:41 p.m.

The Solution

As you said, since when is it anybody's business to know, or even speculate about, what Spencer did? BYU has given as much information as is needed to explain why Hadley won't be playing on Saturday. The only other statement needed is to announce when he is eligible to return.

• The Solution Las Cruces, NM
    Sept. 18, 2013 1:31 p.m.

Also... we need the stache back. Come on Hadley, we need you!

After thinking about it, we can also rule out an off-the-field scuffle. When that happened last, two BYU players were kicked off the team.

Gosh darn it! Why'd ya have to go shaving creaming the Utes statues again during rivalvy week Spencer!

Just kidding, but I don't think whatever he did was severe.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 1:30 p.m.

@Wiscougarfan

"Hadley had a legitimate shot at the NFL draft. No longer."

I feel badly for Spencer but your statement is way off. He's already proven most of what he could possibly prove as far as on the field collegiate play. The next step for him will be showing well at the NFL combine.

No NFL team will even blink over Spencer's BYU honor code violation, it's not like the guy's a criminal.

• The Solution Las Cruces, NM
    Sept. 18, 2013 1:07 p.m.

The article says it was in fact an honor code violation. So I'm trying to figure out what you could do that would force you to sit out 5 games, but still be allowed to continue the semester?

If it was cheating on a test, I think you get kicked out for a semester, right? If it was a morality issue, it would be two semesters.

I think we can rule those out. Hmm... vandalism? Pulling a stupid prank like everyone at BYU does? Don't know.

It's not our business to know, but 5 games hurts and we will feel the impact of losing Hadley. He is an excellent player with amazing quickness.

I hope this doesn't affect the outcome of this weekend.

GO COUGS!!!

• GoDucks! Portland, OR
    Sept. 18, 2013 12:53 p.m.

Guess that's what you get when you choose go to a school that penalizes a consenting adult for having $ex, while the relevant schools have girls & escorts a plenty on hand for the new recruits when they come to campus so they know what they can expect.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 12:12 p.m.

Thank goodness it wasn't a corner!

Seriously though, Hadley...get yourself right and get yourself back on the field. It's not even so much Hadley's talent that will be missed as much as his leadership and the way he rallied the troops. Do the work Spencer, no excuses...get back on the field.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 11:49 a.m.

I gained a little more respect for many Ute fans out there today. Some get pretty ugly but I am grateful to see the understanding of a few. As for Mr. Hadley, I wish him well. I hope he does make it back. As many have said it is disappointing to lose such a great player before a rivalry because you always want to beat them at their best.

I am a huge UCLA fan and I never wish any ill will against usc, well maybe a little. But I do always hope to beat them at their best. Haven't had a whole lot of success over the years, but I always hope.

I appreciate Bronco for staying true to his coaching method and ultimately caring about these kids and helping them succeed. I am confident Bronco sheds as many tears over this as Mr. Hadley does. Good luck to both teams this weekend, I am a BRUIN fan pulling for BYU this weekend.

GO BRUINS!!!

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 11:20 a.m.

It's too bad. Hopefully he gets his act together whatever that means.

On the bright side, he wont' have to endure another beat down at the hands of the bottom dwelling, Pac 12 team from SLC.

Have to laugh a little.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Sept. 18, 2013 10:53 a.m.

Pa. Reader
    Harrisburg, PA said:

"I remember as a young Priesthood holder that a Bishop would on occasion announce from the pulpit the name of a ward member who had been subject to Church discipline. The outcome -- disfellowship, excommunication -- was also announced. The Church long ago abandoned that draconian, punitive approach in favor of a policy of confidentiality that is more loving and considerate.

BYU needs to follow the example of its sponsoring institution. Bronco's original announcement of a violation of team rules was sufficient. The honor code office should deal with potential violators directly and them remain silent on the matter. The only reason any comment needed to be made at all was to explain this young man's absence for the field. Leave that to the coach or AD."

Unfortunately some church members are like news reporters. Both snoop and dig dirt on people in the situations you mentioned.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 10:29 a.m.

Thank you, Deseret News, for taking all mean-spirited, ugly remarks from CB off this and every other post in this newspaper. We should exhibit civility as sports fans even though we are rivals. I appreciated the comments of those Ute fans who did so.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Sept. 18, 2013 10:09 a.m.

A star athlete is suspended "indefinitely" from the team and the expectation is to not have inquiringg minds??? Or, for the University (who is responsible for investigating and evaluating all honor code violations) to be muzzled on their findings and subsequent determination of the Player's status as a student is both naive and ridiculous...

Any honor code violation that results in discipline is a matter of public record... In this case the University determined that an "indefinite suspension" was not appropriate and that a 5 game suspension was more in-line with the infraction... To quash that type of information on a star athlete prior to a rivalry game is an unrealistic expectation at best...

The matter was handled correctly and I, for one, am relieved that we will have Spensor back for our difficult games in October and November and our Bowl game in December...

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 18, 2013 10:02 a.m.

WON84
    It could have been a lot of things, some of which I tried to post and have no earthly idea why the comment was denied? None of the items were illegal. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what comments are denied or allowed. IMHO

We will never know the incident(s) that led to this, thanks for the response Guy! Unfortunate for all parties any way you slice it.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Sept. 18, 2013 8:25 a.m.

"Spokane Ute

Spokane, WA

@CougfaninTexas

All kidding aside, I totally agree. It's a bummer. He's really let the team and the program down. I'm really curious as to what happened? It must have been something fairly severe....at least I would think so. Unfortunate."

I honestly doubt it was all that severe. The moral issues and substance often result in a season so to me it seems he got into a physical altercation or swore at someone. Nonetheless, he's a good player and it's too bad to see him out for a game like this.

• Pa. Reader Harrisburg, PA
    Sept. 18, 2013 6:20 a.m.

• bigirish OREM, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 5:55 a.m.

For whatever reason, Hadley doesn't seem to be thinking about his team and his commitment to them and BYU fans. I am really upset by this. It's so untimely, so questionable, and a sad loss of a great player who could make a difference in our biggest game. But hopefully other good players will step up and fill in and keep our defense strong. It feels like when Brandon Davies did his thing when we were about to rise to new heights as a basketball team in the NCAA playoffs. What are the possibilities for his replacement and how good are those other guys? What does Bronco say about them? Let's talk about them now!

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Sept. 18, 2013 12:54 a.m.

@Idablu

The reason that BYU Honor Code Gurus got involved was because they changed the suspension from "indefinite" to "5 games"... Seems to me that that merrits their involvment...

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 12:51 a.m.

Gossip is a sin. take it easy on the man folks and let him who without sin cast the first stone, indeed if there be a sin, let the gossip cease.

• TamaBYU Provo, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 11:48 p.m.

@ Chris B that's what you all said when OSU was beaten by Eastern, that it was just easier and what happened? That's what I thought. For Bronco to do that means that its not all about football. There is more important things in life to do than just football.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Sept. 17, 2013 11:39 p.m.

As disappointing as this is me and others who are BYU fans, I am sure that it is far more hurtful for Hadley... I really feel for him and I hope that he deals with it well... I am sure that it seems tough now but in future years he will look back on this experience and be grateful that he played for a program that puts the individual ahead of football.

We have had alot of great people who have had to deal with discipline (athletes and non-athletes) and the real medal of the individual is how they dealt with it and whether or not they were able to put it behind them and come back... Guys like Harvey Unga, KVN, Brandon Davies, etc. will always be my heros and my kids heroes and their kids heroes...

We will need Spencer Hadley come October and November for games that will be far tougher and more important than the one he will miss Saturday...

We're with you Spencer and we look forward to your return... I fully expext that other players that you have helped develop will substitute for you well.

Go Cougs...

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 11:29 p.m.

I've known Spencer for a few years now and he is a great kid and an emotional leader on the team. Very sad for him and this is definitely a blow to the team. I really hope he comes back after the 5 game suspension and finishes off a great senior year.

He'll be replaced in the starting lineup by Tyler Beck and I've known Tyler his entire life. Again a great kid who almost didn't come to BYU because Nebraska recruited him hard and if it weren't for his LDS connection, he probably would have gone there. Unfortunately, Tyler tore his ACL just after returning from his mission and has never had the opportunity since then to show what he can do. He's almost identical in size to Spencer and is probably a little more athletic. As a freshman, he was being compared to Bryan Kehl so now he'll finally get to show us what he's got and I'm sure he'll make the most of this opportunity.

Best of luck to both of these great young men!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 17, 2013 10:47 p.m.

@wingnut
    ". If a (non-athlete) student violated the honor code, they would say it was an honor code violation, not a "student's history class's rule violation" or whatever."

No. The reality is they would make no public statement at all for a non athlete student. But if you're an athlete it's gotta be like The Scarlet Letter. Part of the team rules is to obey the Honor Code. You breech the Honor Code, you breech team rules. Nothing more needs to be said. There is no need for the Honor Code office to come out and add to the embarrassment. Yes we all understand the Honor code and know it is part of what makes BYU unique. But can't they issue disciplinary action out of the Honor Code office without publicly smacking him over the head with it. By doing this publicly, BYU has chosen to make this about BYU, at the expense of Spencer Hadley.

• eswiny sandy, ut
    Sept. 17, 2013 10:06 p.m.

Ute here. I feel bad for the kid. The honor code genuinely sucks when things become public. I'm not sure what kind of behavior justifies a 5-game suspension.

Should still be a great game though.

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 9:57 p.m.

@Wiscougarfan:

"Hadley had a legitimate shot at the NFL draft. No longer."

I disagree. Hadley has NFL talent and I bet all NFL teams understand that BYU has an extremely strict Honor Code that other schools just don't have. Hopefully the details will be kept secret so the press won't hurt him any further. Leaks to the press with details surrounding the Brian Blechen suspension will certainly hurt his NFL chances.

Tough break for Spencer and the Cougars.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 9:22 p.m.

Disappointing for sure and bad timing but hopefully Hadley gets through this and back on the field for the Boise State game. The good thing is that BYU is deep at LBer and they have guys who are capable of filling in until Hadley gets back

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Sept. 17, 2013 9:14 p.m.

This is a huge blow for BYU and for Hadley. With all the attention KVN and the defense have and will get this year, Hadley had a legitimate shot at the NFL draft. No longer. I hope he can work things out and come back strong for the end of the season. Go Cougs!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 8:49 p.m.

This issue is between the young man, the school and Bronco.

Move on folks, nothing to see here.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 8:40 p.m.

idablu: "'Violation of team rules' is all we need to know."

I agree 100%. It was unfortunate when Blechen's alleged reason for suspension was leaked, just as this one would be unfortunate, if indeed a school honor code violation is all that occurred. When players land themselves in trouble with the law, it is understandable that the information becomes public. For personal issues, there should be no reason for publicizing, no matter how entitled fans, boosters, etc. think they are to that knowledge.

• bigt431413 MAGNA, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 7:25 p.m.

You know. I'm a Utah fan and have never really cared much for Bronco. But I have to be honest. I give Bronco props and he earns some respect from me for enforcing what he and his university believe. Whether any of us agree with the honor code or not, some people do. That's their right. Sometimes integrity and class rightfully take precedence. Good job Bronco. I hope my Utes win. I hope it is a good game.

• Wingnut1 USA, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 7:21 p.m.

@idablu
    It is because BYU is not ashamed of their honor code. They have made VERY clear what it is, and every single student/athlete that comes into BYU knows EXACTLY what the honor code is. They're showing their support for the honor code by showing how they enforce the honor code. It shows the students that they can receive similar punishment because if it was just a "team rule" then it wouldn't apply to the students. The honor code applies everywhere though, and it must be enforced the same whether it is on an athlete, or a student. If a student violated the honor code, they would say it was an honor code violation, not a "student's history class's rule violation" or whatever.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 17, 2013 6:53 p.m.

What I hoped wouldn't happen has already happened as this story has already evolved and the content of the article has changed: "The university has determined that there was a violation of the honor code,..."

Why couldn't they just leave it with "violation of team rules?" Seriously, why does the public have to know it was an honor code violation? They don't announce honor code violations for non-athletes! I thought this was a big mistake on BYU's part in the Davies situation and here they go, making the same stupid announcement again. All we need to know is that he is being suspended for violation of team rules! We don't need to know more! All this does is magnify geometrically the unwanted attention this kid will get.

I love my alma mater but I am SO disappointed and embarrassed that BYU, especially the Honor Code Office would do something like this,...AGAIN.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 6:28 p.m.

Gone fishin "I find it interesting how Chris B can come these articles and spew anything he wants while other are silenced. Des News needs to review their policies."

Have you tried the "Report abuse" button?

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 17, 2013 6:25 p.m.

I wonder how come it was 5 games, and not 4 or 6??

I don't know Spencer Hadley, except he is a very intense player and an obvious asset to the team. I wish him well and the guts to follow through and eventually come back with the football team. In the overall grand scheme, suspension may be the best thing. The next few week will be an eternity in his life. Good luck Spencer.

• mjkkjk Nowhere, 00
    Sept. 17, 2013 6:17 p.m.

A lot of super classy Ute fans on this thread. I'm totally willing to ignore Chris B since we have a few "Chris Bs" ourselves. I hope Hadley is patient during this time and takes it well.

Best of luck to both teams (but hopefully Cougars win)

• hamaca Baton Rouge, LA
    Sept. 17, 2013 6:13 p.m.

I guess I just don't see the harm in Chris's comments. I think they're quite funny actually and fall in the category of banter and trash talking. He's quite effective at it. Haven't seen anything I'd call ugly or mean-spirited and it's par for the course among fans of other rivalries.

Now, just find comment sections of articles involving fans of foreign soccer clubs or the national team vs. others. THAT can get vicious and abusive. Commenters' ancestry and moms tend to be pulled into the "discussion".

Anyway, back on topic, shame that this happened to Hadley. Was hoping for an exciting game with both teams at full strength, no injuries, just leaving it all on the field. Let the best team win--the team that wants it the most, the team that shows up. No dirty playing, although chippiness is fine.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    Sept. 17, 2013 5:45 p.m.

I am glad that that their are Ute fans that realize that when this happens, it is not about the rivalry it is about the player involved who made a mistake and needs all the support he can get. Those fans are the ones who I respect on the comment boards. It is too bad that Hadley will miss the game, but their is a consequence for a violation of team rules or University rules. Hope he realizes his mistake and learns from it. Football is more than about winning a game. It is about instilling the values of discipline and hard work that I hope can give them a positive effect that they can take with them throughout their life.

• Cougsrock original Maricopa, Az
    Sept. 17, 2013 5:43 p.m.

If byu loses it won't be because of Hadley or defense

• Mr. Plate Lindon, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 5:41 p.m.

@Gone fishin - so, you think Chris B and Spokane Ute lack class, and Chris B has been pretty universally panned by fans of both teams... yet on the next Ute suspension, you aspire to be like them? This helps you, or BYU fans, exactly how?

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 5:36 p.m.

Hey, buddy. Just remember, it's all about ME, ME, ME, ME,ME, ME.

• spokaloo Adin, CA
    Sept. 17, 2013 5:29 p.m.

Thank goodness LB is a deep position!

• BYU Fan in DC Washington, DC
    Sept. 17, 2013 5:24 p.m.

SL Trib reports that Hadley is suspended until Boise State. Great news that he can finish his Senior year out strong.

• BlameItOnTheOfficials Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 5:18 p.m.

Chris B - As another Ute fan I want to ask you start showing some class. Your comments and posts are not necessary. If we are the better team we will show it on the field against their best players. This is a blow to both teams playing in Saturdays game. Please stop acting your age and try to be more mature.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 5:09 p.m.

I was excited to watch Spencer take on a running Travis Wilson. Spencer was a big hitter and didn't back down from anybody. Hopefully he returns soon.

• mattmo Gallatin, MO
    Sept. 17, 2013 5:05 p.m.

Sorry to hear but, really none of our business what he did or didn't do Life goes on. Rules are made to be followed by all and enforced even when it hurts. It will still be a great game one of the best played in the NCAA. Two classy coaches. Two classy teams. Go BYU!

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:59 p.m.

SO good to see the real U fans show the class we know you have. No need to mention those that dont.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:55 p.m.

@Gone Fishin

Nice try, but no; not even close. Very offended that you, or anyone for that matter, would think that. Are you the same person as Down Under? I sense a resemblence. "Grind it in"? Now I've seen it all on Bonanza!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:49 p.m.

As usual, thumbs down to Chris B for the police blotter/suspension smack. It's only a matter of time before a Utah player (as well as players from every other university) gets suspended or arrested for doing something off the field. These are just college kids, and if there's one thing college kids have always done and always will do, it's make mistakes.

• Gone fishin PAC Country, WA
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:46 p.m.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:43 p.m.

Now we only win by 16 instead of 23.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:43 p.m.

Wow! Alot of class from Ute fans.

Mahalo Nui!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:36 p.m.

@ Ted H

Totally understand and Thanks for the information and response. BYU does hold high standards and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. "Indefinately" seems like it could be a good or bad thing too. Could be one game, could be the whole season. A bad deal either way. Take Care Ted!

@ Vegas Ute

Amen!

I do have to wonder though, what kind of trouble could a young man from little old Connell Washington possibly get into?.................I kid; but I do wonder what the heck he did.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:33 p.m.

Appreciate the real Utah fans putting Chris B's comments where they belong, in the little trash can.

But I am surprised Chrissy hasn't unveiled the obvious.....

"Bronco did this on purpose so he has an excuse for losing to the Utes"

Come on Chris use your imagination.

c

• Gone fishin PAC Country, WA
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:31 p.m.

Chris B and Spokane Ute are classy. They might even be the same person the way they grind it in. Shame on both of you. Way to pile on a young man that made a mistake. Tell you what, next time a ute player is suspended I will not hold my thought like I have in the past.

• altahoops Provo, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:28 p.m.

The only thing more depressing than losing Hadley is the fact that so many on here still give Chris B the time of day. Is it so hard to grasp that he thrives on stirring the pot? And every message you post that is directed at him just feeds the beast. Since the D-News doesn't have a "twit filter" on their message boards, show a little restraint, and when you see a message from Chris B, skip over to the next one. You're bound to find more substantive and relevant thought. Just sayin....

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:26 p.m.

Lifelong Ute wrote:

"Another example of byu and their honor code parading around the mistakes of their players? And I can't imagine why non-Mormon players don't want to go there."

As if we've never had a U player suspended for violating team rules! From an AP article last year:

"Utah officials say defensive playmaker Brian Blechen has been suspended three games for violating undisclosed team rules. Coach Kyle Whittingham announced the suspension on Monday but says Blechen will be allowed to practice with the team."

Was that not "parading the mistakes of their players"? All teams have rules and when players are suspended it is announced in the press. Let's try for some objectivity!

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:26 p.m.

Sorry to hear this news. Hope things work out for him.

True Ute fans do not claim Chris B just like true BYU fans don't claim Duckhunter.

Go Utes!

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:24 p.m.

Chris B. et al takes a deep sigh of relief never realizing that BYU is deep at LB position,
    and Spencer's backup will be enough to stop the Ute run game. Run game?

Keep Wilson running, and slow down Marion Jones Jr, and BYU will trash the utes.

I'm not sure what he did but it is probably something that can earn a player a sticker to put on his helments at the U)

Spencer will be missed, but the defense has this game covered.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:23 p.m.

Well, after reading the article on KVN I've learned to keep judgment to the judges and realize there are paths out of these troubles so work hard Spencer and we'll be here when you get it straightened out.

Gooooooooooo Cougars!!!

• D4inSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:22 p.m.

@idablu
    No, at least this Ute fan doesn't. Really not much I can do except ignore him/her, however.

As far as Hadley goes, that is tough - both for the young man and the team. Best of luck to him.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:17 p.m.

Hope Hadley recovers from this, no matter what led to the suspension. And kudos to BYU and Mendenhall for doing the hard yet correct thing.

@ChrisB, you're a very mean person. Get over yourself and try being nice.

• Witty Username Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:16 p.m.

Thanks to the Ute fans who can still be classy during rivalry week. You guys are awesome.

• rescueguy Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:15 p.m.

nosaerfoecioveht, thanks for your sincere and worthwhile comment. I am a BYU fan, and I appreciate your words. I personally know a number of Ute fans who are classy, intelligent and just good people. I hear it from them when Utah wins, and they hear it from me when the Cougars win. It works for both sides. As you mentioned, you don't know any other fans like Chris B. I am happy to hear that. Because for him, this is obviously more than a game. I have never known another person to troll about every single article written about the team he obviously hates. That's the puzzling part. Because he is usually the very first person to post regarding BYU. I personally think he is a closet BYU fan. But will you guys please keep him, because simply put, we just don't want him. Good luck to your Utes on Saturday. As for me, I will be cheering loudly and proudly for BYU. Here's to a great game. May the best team win!

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:14 p.m.

Big loss for BYU but not the end of the world. As a Utah fan, I want to beat BYU at their best but in the end wish this young man luck and hope he can return to the field in short order.
    As for Chris B, I'm pretty sure he is not even a Utah fan but in his defense his shtick has worked for years.

• Love skiing Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:13 p.m.

Idablu-please don't lump Utah fans with Chris B. He is a disgrace to all Utah and BYU fans alike. Ignore it. Sorry it, no disrespect intended.

• Utefan7 Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:14 p.m.

Apologies for Chris B, seems he has nothing better to do than post on BYU boards. Too bad that Hadley will be out because you always want to see the teams best out there but that being said, this doesn't make it easier for the Utes because this is a good defense they will be facing and has a lot of back up talent in the linebacker position. I hope for a good one. But go Utes!!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:10 p.m.

Hate to hear that kind of news. Hopefully he will learn from his mistakes and make changes in his life.

Wishing the best for the kid.

Chris B - from a REAL Utah fan - give it a rest!

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:10 p.m.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:03 p.m.

"Violation of team rules" is all we need to know. I sincerely hope no other details are leaked. We the public don't need to hear anything thing else. So far Bronco has handled this exactly how it should be handled. Perhaps BYU has learned from past mistakes....

Hopefully the media will respect Spencer's privacy and let the story end here until he gets reinstated.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:03 p.m.

Guess his career will be winless against Utah. Bummer for him. Hope the team plays with some fire Sat night so the rest of the seniors will have bragging rights for the next two years.

• Utesfootball South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:54 p.m.

I'm a huge Ute fan and I hate to see this happen right before a big game. Unfortunate situation for the TDS.
    I honestly believe Chris B is not a Ute fan, just a great BYU troll. It's all a persona. Like Miley Cyrus. :)

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:53 p.m.

I thought BYU players liked the honor code?

• Alterego Harrisville, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:50 p.m.

Nice to see that integrity means something at BYU. Hard to hear as this is, I'm glad that rule violations will be punished no matter when they occur.

BYU is deep at that position and though this loss will make it a little tricky, I'm confident in a BYU win on Saturday night. I'm sure to see more disgruntled ute fans "hungover" from the loss in church on Sunday.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:48 p.m.

Sorry to hear this, but please note it was "team rules" that he violated, not University rules. But, as a Senior, he should have known better. I hope he is able to work through it and play later in the season.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:45 p.m.

Spokane Ute, I don't think it necessarily is something severe, although it may be. I don't mean this as a dig at Utah, but the truth is that Bronco's punishments are more severe than just about any other schools for a similar infraction. If you remember, Blechen wasn't suspended until he'd had multiple failed drug tests. I'm fairly certain Bronco would hand out a suspension immediately upon a first failed drug test. Illegal drugs are just as illegal in Salt Lake as they are in Provo. I really don't mean this as starting a war of words, its just the truth that the two programs handle things very differently. Rarely do we hear of a program handing out less severe punishments than byu.

It may be serious and maybe its really a big time honor code violation. I just remember O-Neill Chambers getting suspended for things that other schools would brush off like they were nothing. I too am curiuos to hear, hopefully he can return at some point.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:23 p.m.

Utah fan here. I hope no one is taking Chris B and his ridiculous comments seriously. I've been going to Utah games my whole life and I don't know any other fans like him. He does not represent us.

I know Hadley well. He is a great guy and not someone you want to see anything bad happen to. There is nothing good about this news. Here's one Ute wishing him a speedy return and a continued successful career.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:20 p.m.

@CougfaninTexas

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:17 p.m.

Hope Hadley sets things right and gets back on the field ASAP. The Cougars need him.

Thanks Chris B. for keeping it classy. Ouch! Bit the tongue in my cheek. (3 of first 7 posts)

So which is it...the game is easier for the U with Hadley out...or don't use it as an excuse?

You seem a bit confused.

And as always, GO COUGARS!

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:17 p.m.

One player isn't the team. BYU's defense is stout. They will pick up the pieces and still play one heckuva game.

Chris, tone it down, this is a young man's life that is impacted here. Have a little civility.

As for Hadley, get it straight and do what you need to do. God Speed.

Go UTES!!

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:14 p.m.

Let's not tease the kid. Remember these are just college kids, but they should be held responsible for breaking the rules. Unfortunate that he made a mistake.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:11 p.m.

Very disappointing news!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:07 p.m.

You're real class Chris B. I'm sure the Ute faithful are really proud of you.

Fortunately BYU has a lot of depth there. We'll be ok.

• Wow, that was awful Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:07 p.m.

Chris B.
    Are you a Utah player who spends their time trolling the BYU articles in a BYU oriented paper?
    I thought you said "we're just better than you."

If I am mistaken, and you aren't on the team, why do try to speak yourself onto the roster?
    I will never be convinced that Utah has taken the "big brother" role until the Utah followers move on from BYU-centric everything. What are your thoughts, bro?

• canadiancougar624 Provo, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:07 p.m.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
    no no no no no no no no no no

• killarney Lincoln Park, IL
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:06 p.m.

Difficult news for Spencer.

Wishing him success in dealing with whatever problem he's having.

------------

Trust christy to display her true character, or lack thereof, once again.

• CaptainCougar Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:06 p.m.

Sooooooooooooo frustrating. What a let down. At least we've got some experienced talent behind him. Should still be a stout front.

And Chris B, 3 comments in 2 minutes?? Get a job and a life.

• ChristoperB Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 3:03 p.m.

Spokane,

I heard it was a Mountain Dew, not a Pepsi.

His career is OVER!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 17, 2013 2:57 p.m.

What the heck!
    Right before the big game?
    It's de ja vu all over again.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 17, 2013 2:56 p.m.

Bad timing; I wonder what the heck he did? Grow a beard, drink a Pepsi or french kiss a coed? The possibilities are endless.

• dallas realist rockwall, texas
    Sept. 17, 2013 2:48 p.m.

You have to be joking me

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 2:47 p.m.

Ute fan here,

Hate to see a player get suspended, hate to see kids make costly mistakes. Hopefully he learns and grows from this experience.

This is a huge blow to BYU's D, as he was the perfect compliment to KVN, allowing the later to make big plays.