Faith

Episcopal bishop takes a stand against anti-Mormon humor

Comments

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Oct. 7, 2014 4:08 p.m.

@The Scientist:

@bbandlax was not in error.

The ceremony of baptism you have witnessed many times is the symbol of the entry into the covenant.

The words of the covenant are not contained in the ceremony, as you wrote. The person being baptized, as you well know, says nothing during the performance of the ritual.

You are wrong about the covenant, which is made between the person and God before the ritual is performed in the privacy of each person's heart. The person interviewing the candidate for baptism confirms the willingness of the person to enter into that covenant and to demonstrate that by receiving the ordinance of baptism.

The summary of the covenant terms were accurately described in the post from @bbandlax. Those verses from the Book of Mormon are typically read and discussed during the interview of each candidate for baptism.

All of this can be confirmed using very simple scientific methods for testing the veracity of what I've written, which I assume from your moniker you subscribe to. Are you willing to examine these statements objectively?

• cjn Saline, MI
    Oct. 7, 2014 3:38 p.m.

I appreciate this Rt. Rev. Hyashi

• Utahdane Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 5:13 p.m.

Once when I was very poor I went to the Episcopalian church in Centerville, Utah and they fed me dinner. I found out that the Mormons and the Episcopalians were sharing the expenses for this. I was proud of both groups.

• JonathanPDX Portland, Oregon
    Sept. 15, 2013 9:34 p.m.

It is not the amount of God's Light we have that makes the
    difference, but what we do with the Light we are given.

Bishop Hayashi obviously uses more than most.

I wish him peace and happiness in the Gospel of Christ.

• TWfromAL Harvest, AL
    Sept. 14, 2013 8:10 p.m.

Loved this article.. Thanks Bishop Hayashi!

I am LDS and live in Alabama. A couple of weeks ago I was attending a political breakfast in a small town in north Alabama. I listened to the speakers. I enjoyed all but one. One of the leading state legislative officials was boasting about Alabama's standing in different areas around the nation. He said Alabama was second to Utah in something... but Alabama was ahead of Utah in allowing for only one wife!... and no offense to any Mormons or people from Utah. The room was filled with Republican Christians.

I was offended. The Christians/Born Agains/ Evangelicals do not consider the LDS Church to be a legitimate religion therefore it is perfectly okay to make Mormons and Mormonism a punchline or butt of their jokes.

It amazes me that the Republicans are in desperate need of votes and support and yet are willing to turn their backs on potential voters based on religion.

• J.D. Aurora, CO
    Sept. 14, 2013 2:32 p.m.

When it comes to some of the things we have taught in the past, the person who brings them up may not be joking. It just sounds to everyone else like they are.

• dotp POTEAU, OK
    Sept. 13, 2013 6:48 p.m.

I am a Latter Day Saint and I am grateful for this refreshing article. Thank you, Bishop Hayashi, for your uplifting and refreshing words. May God bless you richly and abundantly. I will try very hard to follow your example.

• BigBuddha Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 13, 2013 2:10 p.m.

I have been the butt of many jokes in my life..my underwear,not drinking iced tea,beliving that JS found plates in his back yard, stuff like that but that's ok,it doesn't bother me... I mostly get my feelings hurt when people at Church say that I'm fat

• kvnsmnsn Springville, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 1:51 p.m.

Moabmom posted:

=It bothers me that so many are willing to move humor over into the
    =politically correct column where it will be silenced in the name of diversity
    =over doctrine and Scripture.

I don't think Hayashi was talking so much about humor as he was talking about humor laced with hate.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 1:22 p.m.

Well, I am married to a Mormon, so I get a free joke-telling pass!

• BigBuddha Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 13, 2013 12:01 p.m.

I likw the Episcopal Church
    Allow and bless same sex marriage
    Gay and Lesbian Priest
    Lenient on abortion
    Let's be friends!

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 11:32 a.m.

Amen Bishop Hayashi.

• Lyn in Connecticut Madison, CT
    Sept. 13, 2013 9:09 a.m.

Most people in Connecticut are respectful of any religion. I've lived in my neighborhood for 20 years and have experienced love and respect from these neighbors, most explicitly from watching teens from 10 different towns come to my home at 6 am to attend early-morning seminary. As Mormons are a tiny percentage of the population, most people here generally do not really know much about the LDS religion. Except: the Broadway musical "The Book of Mormon" has been running in nearby Manhattan for a couple of years now. Talk about bigotry, crude jokes at a religious minority's expense, and mean spirit! Would it be okay to focus on any other faith in such a prominent way? And then award the creators? The Jewish press here in the Northeast say, No -- that would not happen to their group and should not be happening to Mormons, either.

• shorts Payson, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 8:54 a.m.

I liked the what the Bishop said especially "simply saying that it is not right to behave badly toward LDS people just because they are LDS." I know people that hate all Mormons because of something one Mormon did. You can't blame a whole group because one person did something to you. Dislike that person.

• Wastintime Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 13, 2013 7:14 a.m.

To Utahns: Get over yourselves.

I have lived outside Utah for over 30 years and have never heard one anti-Mormon joke. Most people outside Utah do not think about or care about Mormons.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Sept. 13, 2013 6:01 a.m.

"I can see that other religions and churches do not carry the Truth far enough. They have some truths, however, and are infinitely better than atheism."

That is so kind of you. I am sure that the non-LDS will be very pleased to be described that way.

Reminds me of a joke.

Guy goes to Heaven. St Peter takes him on a tour. Says to be quite in one section. "Why"?
    This is where the Mormons are. They think they are the only ones here.

• JoCo Ute Grants Pass, OR
    Sept. 13, 2013 12:19 a.m.

@ tootsmartforyou Thanks for repeating the point I made in my original post. Where I said "There is a big difference between humor and bigotry or jokes told about our religious quirks and those that disparage our beliefs." You apparently didn't take the time to read the full post or you just didn't understand, as your post makes no sense at all.

I hope this now makes sense to you.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 12:13 a.m.

Convert wrote:

"They have some truths, however, and are infinitely better than atheism."

That is extremely intolerant and false. I cannot think of a single one of my atheist friends who has less light in their lives than any religious person!

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 12:10 a.m.

bbandlax

I have witnessed many LDS Baptisms and those "covenants" are not anywhere in the ceremony.

You are overly sensitive as well as in error.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 7:14 p.m.

I think "claidhmore" shared some profound insights given his experience. We LDS members here in Utah struggle to try to learn about and respect the religious faiths outside of our own. I personally find the attitude of quite a few of my fellow Church members not in keeping with the teachings of Him whom we proclaim to follow. Let us do more to value differences with respect and a desire to make the world a more peaceful place. It doesn't diminish our own beliefs to see the good in the faith of others. One thing I have learned living in Utah for all my 61 years is that Mormons do not have a monopoly on goodness. Thank God for good, good people like Bishop Hayashi.

• moniker lewinsky Taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 6:44 p.m.

I was raised Mormon and am now a lapsed Unitarian. I've told jokes about Mormons, Unitarians, and accountants (which I'm studying to become). Jokes can go too far but they can also be fun. What troubles me is the statement: “I don’t like jokes that are hateful toward any one group, especially jokes that are hateful toward a religious group." Why is it that religious groups should deserve extra protection?
    I read an article recently where it was open season on "secularists". The religious leader interviewed also made many inflammatory and untrue comments about gay people.
    If you want to celebrate tolerance, fine. I would like to see a celebration of tolerance in all directions. This isn't Maine and Mormons here in Utah have it pretty good last time I checked. Most people here know what it's like to move into a neighborhood or start a new job and be immediately probed on whether or not they're LDS.
    Jokes can be a good opportunity to look at ourselves and see if there's room for improvement. Wasn't LDS General Authority Bednar the one who said "and nothing shall offend them"?

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 6:32 p.m.

@ JoCo Ute...once again it isn't that only Mormons can tell jokes about Mormons, it's the anti-Mormon jokes that attack a belief or individuals that makes the Bishop uncomfortable. People have over-reacted to his statement, unfortunately, and do not understand the intent of what he said.

I hope that it now makes sense to you.

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 4:54 p.m.

re: Kirk R Graves

"Other than the British, you would be hard pressed to find another group that is more willing to laugh at itself than the Mormons. (We even take it from others pretty well)."

I want proof that {you would be hard pressed to find another group that is more willing to laugh at itself than the Mormons}

The poor attempt @ collective self-deprecation during Donny & Marie's show doesn't count.

Yet, The Brits have no problem lampooning the French, Germans, & especially the Puritans here in the Colonies

• sukiyhtaky us, CA
    Sept. 12, 2013 1:30 p.m.

Hutterite...I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. Catholics by Papal Decree claim to be God's only church, Islam says they are the only church, Baptists swear they are, my Satmar Hasidic friend claims they are the only true Jews and the other orthodox sects and the modern Jews are a blasphemy, so there are lots of groups that claim to be the one and only. Yes, there is humor about them, but not to the extent in a venemous vein as there is against Mormons. Now I like a good religious joke as much as the next person, but there is funny and then there is distasteful which is where many Mormon jokes fall. And as a non=member I have heard them all. I would disagree with this bishop though, I think kindly humor is OK no matter who tells it, but society has become so desensitized we have lost sight of what is edgy and what is just plain wrong. The joke above about good news/bad news I have heaerd before.......from the local LDS bishop. Even God has a sense of humor...after all He made men! :)

• JerryLungaard SLC, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 1:10 p.m.

I have heard that there will be much loud laughter in mid-October. We shall see.

• JoCo Ute Grants Pass, OR
    Sept. 12, 2013 12:23 p.m.

Re @ InspectorC Reread the article? Huh. I guess when Bishop Hayashi said "“And if an LDS person wants to tell jokes about being LDS, that’s fine with me. But for anyone else, it’s off base" He must not have meant it.

Please explain how this means anything other than Only Mormons can tell jokes about Mormons.

• Convert Cedar City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 11:49 a.m.

I will stand up to anyone that disses Protestant churches, Catholics or any religion. After being raised in Methodist and Presbyterian congregations, I converted to the Restored Gospel in 1976. I can see that other religions and churches do not carry the Truth far enough. They have some truths, however, and are infinitely better than atheism.

I have been offended in the Church a few times over the years by those that characterize other churches as under Satan's influence. I know they do good and uplift their members spirits and prepare them well for the Restored Gospel.

Now that we are beyond the Dark Ages before Joseph Smith and beyond the Middle Ages of the early Restored Gospel, we must shine as lights on a hill, increasing the illumination that others have of our Savior. We must not try to extinguish the light that they have.

• Moabmom Moab, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 11:25 a.m.

It bothers me that so many are willing to move 'humor' over into the politically correct column where it will be silenced in the name of diversity over doctrine and Scripture.

• FromWA Olympia, WA
    Sept. 12, 2013 11:01 a.m.

I am glad to have found this article and greatly appreciate the kind bishops views. I hope that those that are LDS, especially in Utah take to heart this advise in reverse. I have spoken with many who lived in Utah a while and never felt accepted by their LDS neighbors (their kids friends weren't allowed to go to their house for example). The church occupies a huge amount of time of it's members and lots of friendships of members is based around ward and other connections. It can make those around them feel left out. Reach out to your neighbors and love them as much as you do the ones sitting three rows over on Sunday.

Those that are of other beliefs (I hate the term non-mormon- sounds so exclusionary) realize that those LDS folks around you really aren't that bad. If everyone was a little more accepting of each other (you don't have to accept others beliefs to accept them) Utah could be everything it has to potential to be. It shouldn't matter what "team" you are on.

This comes from an active LDS member that thinks we can all improve.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 10:57 a.m.

One can always joke about their siblings, but wait until someone outside the family does so and then theres trouble. Jokes that are hilarious from a rabbi or African American would be considered off limits for someone out of the fold. It's best to leave humor about a certain group to those of that group. Most outsiders don't know when they cross the no-no line.

• Kirk R Graves West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 10:33 a.m.

@Hutterite
    I think you failed to recognize that the article wasn't about a Mormon complaining about anti-Mormon jokes, but about a Bishop from another faith expressing his opposition to such jokes.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 10:01 a.m.

Maybe they just need a bit thicker skin; they're by no means the first or only group to have humour created about them. Besides, what makes it 'anti' mormon humour? Every person or group that gets up and touts itself as having exclusive authority or divine truth is going to have it's foibles mocked in our society. Roll with it.

• bbandlax Charlottesville, VA
    Sept. 12, 2013 9:45 a.m.

The Scientist,

Not to be overly sensitive, just assuming from past remarks you might include my baptismal covenants in your snarky "Much better than the covenants made at baptism in some Churches" comment. Here is best summary of that covenant I made at baptism:

"as ye are adesirous to come into the bfold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;
    Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death...
    Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you"

Sound vaguely familiar?

Best regards,
    Scottie

• goldfever St. George, U
    Sept. 12, 2013 9:26 a.m.

This is our territory what what

• raybies Layton, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 9:23 a.m.

it's a pretty common thing for people to disparage utah mormons. heck, even LDS outside of Utah have no shortage of negative things to say about them. In a way, I think they sell them short in order toto fit into their nonUtah environments. We don't even notice we're doing it.

Having lived outside of Utah, I had many nonLDS friends who would come up to me and tell me about an acquaintance that would start badmouthing or misrepresenting LDS beliefs in an attempt to discredit my family or my faith, and my friends would tell me, "I told them, I don't know who told you that, but you're wrong. That's not how mormons are."

There's a lot of disinformation out there, it's nice to read about informed religious people outside of the LDS faith that see the lies for what they are.

• sfcretdennis Nice, CA
    Sept. 12, 2013 9:14 a.m.

I once told a joke that I thought was ok, but my Bishop said it was inappropriate. It was "You have a church leader setting at his desk when his secretary comes in and said he has good new and bad news and the church leader says what's the good news and he tills him that Jesus has returned and so the leader ask what's the bad and the secretary tills him that Jesus is calling from Salt Lake. This could be applied with any faith but my Bishop said it was not right and that church teachings is that we should be respectful of others faiths. That was the last time I ever told The joke.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 9:13 a.m.

to A Scientist

"Wise man say: Is better to have anti-Mormon humor than anti-humor Mormon."

Amen!

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 9:09 a.m.

re: LDS Liberal

"So, does this mean no more "Single's Ward" movies either?"

But, those are like will Ferrel movies. Wait. That was your point neither are funny.

re: NeilT

"...the danger of sarcasm"

First, Bro Glenn is not sarcastic. J. Stewart & S. Colbert are better examples of sarcasm. Lets not forget, there is at least an ounce of truth in every pound of sarcasm.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 9:05 a.m.

claidhmore
    Seabeck, WA
    The water flows in both directions. Having raised our children in a non-Utah liberal city, we received only one inquiry about our faith during our time there. We knew of several anti-Mormon programs sponsored by "Christian" churches. Thankfully, I suspect that most people don't care what church you attend or don't attend and judge you on actions and character, not religious affiliation.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 8:44 a.m.

Wise man say: Is better to have anti-Mormon humor than anti-humor Mormon.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 8:23 a.m.

@LDS liberal: "Singles Ward" is fine - its "Saturday's Voyeur" that is hateful

But I suspect you already knew that

• RedShirtMIT Cambridge, MA
    Sept. 12, 2013 8:20 a.m.

To "NeilT" I would worry more about the liberals who claim membership in the church first. There are many talks and official statements denouncing liberalism and socialism, which the self proclaimed liberal believes in.

• sukiyhtaky us, CA
    Sept. 12, 2013 8:01 a.m.

As a non-member, I solemnly pledge that I will never laugh at Mormons and Mobsters, the opening credits of Granite Flats with the iconic jiggling jello, or Studio C ever again. No, I take that back, the End of Times weaher report on Studio C is waaaay to funny to not laugh. :)

• windsor City, Ut
    Sept. 12, 2013 7:44 a.m.

To Bishop Hayashi and your wife:

Thank you.

I know some non-LDS who live in Utah, who moved here from other states for the mountains and skiing and some others who moved here for the killing they could (and do) make on over-priced, sub-standard rental properties to LDS students in Utah County. And all of them love to mock Mormons-overtly and covertly-AND who all fail to realize the lovely standard of living they enjoy and all the infrastructure benefits they enjoy etc etc comes on the backs of many generations of mostly Mormons----yet they love to mock them. Sad.

So thanks for the good you and your wife are trying to do and for your willingness to speak up.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 7:23 a.m.

Oh my goodness, JoCo Ute, read the story again. Bishop Hayashi isn't against Mormon humor, particularly that which is produced among Mormons them selves. He is saying that people need to be careful about making fun of others beliefs, particularly when the dialogue is that it wouldn't be tolerated about other groups, such as Jews or Muslims, but is in vogue for whatever reason about Mormons. Do you think a play like "The Book of Mormon" would have been allowed had it been about the Jewish people? The funny things you refer to on You Tube most probably say, such as "Things Mormon Girls Say", ar3e by Mormon folks, not non-members.

The whole idea is to show respect for others and not belittle them if they are of a different faith. That's a simple and straight-forward message. And I think it is timely. Certainly if it left both he and his wife feeling cold and uncomfortable, it was inappropriate. Green Jello jokes don't fit that category, in my view, as they are about a food not a person or a belief.

Your over reaction to his wise counsel is what is really scary.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 6:52 a.m.

Joking about jell-o is one thing. Joking about someone's beliefs and things they hold sacred is another.

The one's that laugh at the crude jokes show their incompetence and ignorance.

Sadly people feel entitled to discriminate against a minority group, especially religious in todays environment.

• InspectorC Wasatch Front, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 6:25 a.m.

@ JoCo Ute----

In reply to your first sentence, above: NO! You obviously do NOT "..understand [Bishop] Hayashi correctly"!!

Please go back and read the entire article again, dude, only *carefully* this time.

Bishop Hayashi stated --repeatedly-- that what he is opposed to is any anti-Mormon humor or derogatory or bigoted humor. Not all humor, and not humor about Mormons, by Mormons themselves.

Please re-read the article!

And Thank you Bishop Hayashi. God bless you!

• Semi-Strong Louisville, KY
    Sept. 12, 2013 6:08 a.m.

Thank you Bishop Hayashi. A wise stance. One we should all emulate for those of all faiths (or lack thereof).

I don't believe that humor is wrong in all cases. Good natured humor is essential. But humor can be used as a way of saying something negative that we would not/could not say "seriously" and can even be a mask of hate.

If we start with love and true respect, the humor that flows will be good and even uplifting. If not, then whatever flows will be far less so.

• mountain man Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 12:46 a.m.

Have you heard the anti mormon joke about....oh wait... i guess this isn't the best place to tell that joke.

• durwood kirby South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 11:08 p.m.

Thanks, Bishop. We all need to practice a dose of respect for each other.

In contrast to some remarks on this comment board, a person can have a fabulous sense of humor and still offer respect to all other groups.

• JoCo Ute Grants Pass, OR
    Sept. 11, 2013 10:47 p.m.

So if I understand Hayashi correctly only Mormons can tell Mormon jokes. There is a big difference between humor and bigotry or jokes told about our religious quirks and those that disparage our beliefs. The humorless world that Hayashi envisions is down right scary.

Who's going to run the joke police for Bishop Hayashi? Some of the best Mormon jokes can be found on YouTube where "Things Mormon Girls Say", "Utah Names" and "Provo Girls" can be found. These vids are hilarious and to a certain extent ones that only Mormon insight could produce.

No more green Jello jokes. . . I don't think so.

• claidhmore Seabeck, WA
    Sept. 11, 2013 10:16 p.m.

Having grown up in Utah (Davis County) as an Episcopalian I have a unique perspective on this topic. I support Bishop Hayashi in this and also strive to be accepting of religious differences. Since leaving Utah in my late teens I have frequently found myself defending LDS beliefs from the misconceptions of others outside of Utah. I can do this authoritatively since I made an significant effort to learn about LDS beliefs. However, I've rarely ever found this effort reciprocated by LDS church members. I can think of only 1 church member during my entire up-bringing that made any effort to learn anything about the Episcopal church. Respect is a two-way street and I truly hope that President Monson's "kindness and respect" philosophy is adopted by all LDS church members. I can honestly relate that I did not experience this philsophy growing up in Utah but again hope for sincere change.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 9:39 p.m.

"In my baptismal covenant I pledged that I would ‘work for justice and peace and respect the dignity of every human being."

Much better than the covenants made at baptism in some Churches.

• Rainman Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 9:16 p.m.

Like!

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 8:39 p.m.

Lets hope Brother Glenn Beck reads this and other church teachings about the danger of sarcasm and intolerance of others. Something he seems to have mastered.

• Mike H. San Jose, CA
    Sept. 11, 2013 8:37 p.m.

This is good to hear. There was a former Protestant Minister in Georgia I knew of, who became a Mormon, but, would not tolerate bad talking of those of his former faith.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 8:02 p.m.

So, does this mean no more "Single's Ward" movies either?

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    Sept. 11, 2013 6:16 p.m.

It's good to hear from someone who actually practices what he preaches when it comes to diversity.

• oragami St. George, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 5:14 p.m.

I think the Bishop mentions something very, very important that in my opinion many LDS members forget; having a sense of humor about your own religion and beliefs is very healthy and valuable. It is very endearing and softens others who may not share your beliefs.

• fp88ren Providence, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:59 p.m.

I'm all for respecting others faith and views.

On the other hand, this active Mormon gets a good laugh hearing Mormon jokes - - even from non-LDS friends as long as they're not over the top mean-spirited. And few jokes really fall into that category.

The Mel Brooks comedic approach - - equal opportunity send-ups of everyone is the way for me!

• Scott12345 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:57 p.m.

Thanks, Bishop. I know several members of the Episcopal Church here in Utah (and have also served their church in a business environment). They're top-notch and great people, and they do a lot of good in the community.

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:47 p.m.

So a Mormon Bishop, a Catholic Bishop and an Episcopal Bishop, all lost, walk into a bar: The Bartender looks up and says "I don't want any funny business from you Three" So how's that for respecting Faith diversity in Utah...

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:26 p.m.

Great article about what seems to be a great man. Good for him for standing up for what he thinks is right. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who truly lives their religion. Hopefully, members of the LDS church will also be supportive of other religions and diversity in general in communities where they are the majority or the most significant minority.

• Travis G Riverton, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:20 p.m.

God Bless Bishop Hayashi from a Mormon. We all need to do a little better and respecting other's differences. I will try to do the same.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT