Sports

BYU football: Jamaal Williams, teaming with Taysom Hill, on pace to shatter Cougar rushing record

Comments

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 8:21 p.m.

Taysom doesn't have to be a 300 yd per game passer to keep teams honest. If he can start getting closer to 60% completion and 200 yds per game or better that will be enough to keep teams honest and from stacking the box.

I expect we'll see a better passing game from him vs Utah since they aren't very good defensively anymore. Utah St marched up and down the field on their D.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 7:03 p.m.

@ 2013 Ute Seniors...:

2 of the first 4 posts. It seems Chris has competition for the most obsessed with anything BYU.

And if you still like the Ute's chances after seeing what BYU did against Texas last week, you are strongly advised to stay away from Las Vegas. Casino owners absolutely love people that use your kind of logic..

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 12:38 p.m.

"While the rushing against Texas was impressive, the defensive coordinator was fired the next day because he for some reason didn't try to stop the run."

Ya, he probably said "OK boys, I know you're all 5 star recruits and we have one of the most storied football programs of all time. But, I want you to roll over and let these guys run because I really don't want to be employed after tonight. And besides that, there's an obsessed BYU hater in Ogden who wants to make an absurd statement about me in the paper next week. So, let em run boys. I'll take the hit for it."

Chrissy's comedy continues, no matter the screen name.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 8:59 a.m.

And if we project out Chuckie's stats, he will complete 78.8% of his passes, for 4,381 yards, and run for another 1,053 yards.
    Wison will throw for 3,679 yards (with a bowl game), and rush for 663.

Wow, projecting out season stats is really exciting after 2 games. Heck, Chuckie hasn't even faced the soft part of his schedule. He could throw for 5,000 yards.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 8:44 a.m.

The hype for BYU from this paper knows no bounds. It has been 2 games people. Are we really going to project a record year when they haven't even played 20% of their games?

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Sept. 11, 2013 9:23 p.m.

BYU will never see someone better all around than Luke Staley...when he was healthy.

• Stop The Nonsense El Paso, TX
    Sept. 11, 2013 9:18 p.m.

While it's hard to say that Hill WON'T break the QB rushing record for BYU, it's still a little early to predict that Williams will break the overall BYU rushing record this season. I don't think he will be asked to run it 30+ times per game for the rest of the season (at least I hope not, for his sake).

I sure am looking forward to the game against Utah next week! While I won't conjure my inner Ms. Cleo and predict a W for the team I support (like everyone else around here seems more than willing to do), but I do feel a lot more confident about the game now than I did after Week 1. Utah will be a much tougher game than Texas, in my opinion, and it should be fun to watch.

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    Sept. 11, 2013 8:39 p.m.

RBN,

Thank you for being the voice of reason. Two games does not a valid sample make, the Texas defense was not ready for the option and couldn't make the proper adjustments. Utah won't be surprised.The only surprise will be if Hill completes more than 50% of his passes.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 6:34 p.m.

Really? Did I really call for 87 running plays? Well since they ran 99 last week and Taysom completes about 13, that should be about right! Okay, we need more plays. Where do we get them? I know!!! More Take aways and we'll just stay on offense every down!!!.
    See, Told you I was an optimist!!!

• Idaho_Boy Aberdeen, ID
    Sept. 11, 2013 6:02 p.m.

2 games don't make a season, so way too early to talk about season records. I just hope Williams is ok after that back-bending stretch they did to him at the end of the game. Every game is different, but I would have liked to see them go inside the tackles less to Williams against Texas. Lasike and Alisa seemed to have better success on those kind of runs with their size and strength. Williams is obviously better on the edge and out in the open.

My opinion on Staley and the record has always been he only broke the record because of Doman. They were awesome together, but Doman was the workhorse of the two. He would take the majority of the hits and runs up the middle and even though he was generally wasn't breaking off long runs, the defense would start to focus on him and then he would pitch it to Staley and Staley would run untouched for a TD. No skills needed other than great speed. Maybe oversimplification, but not really if you look back at those games. Would love to see Hill/Williams do the same against the Utes. Go Cougs!!!

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Sept. 11, 2013 5:48 p.m.

@2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0

How many email addressed do you have Chris B ? Keeping track of all of your DN aliases must require a spreadsheet.

One thing is for sure: After September 21, you won't be able to use "2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0" without getting some laughs.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 11, 2013 5:28 p.m.

BYU so thoroughly dominated the Longhorns, that even christina is forced to admit that Anae's offense manhandled a defense that is loaded with 4- and 5-star players. Texas sold out to stop BYU's passing game and BYU took what the Longhorns gave them and made them pay to the tune of 550 yards on the ground, the most rushing yards EVER given up by Texas. Our friends on the hill could only look on with envy, because the Utes have NEVER dominated an elite program like Texas so thoroughly.

Even Utah's greatest victory ever, pales by comparison:

BYU vs Texas 40-21 +19
    1stDwn 32-22 +10
    Rush 550-132 +418
    Pass 129-313 -184
    Total 679-445 +234

Utah vs Alabama 31-17 +14
    1stDwn 22-15 +7
    Rush 13-31 -18
    Pass 336-177 +159
    Total 349-208 +141

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 5:11 p.m.

With his latest troll account, Chris B continues to peddle the myth that Texas stayed in their standard defense all game and didn't do anything special to stop the run.

I can understand why Ute fans would want to believe this fantasy in order to reassure themselves that BYU will be an easy W, but it's completely false. Texas did crowd the line many times, and they got burned by BYU's runners more often than not.

But don't take my word for it, you can go and see it for yourself in the game highlights over at ESPN's webpage. On Hill's 26-yard touchdown run in the third quarter, there are 7 Longhorns lined up right at the line of scrimmage before the play starts. Yet having all those players up close doesn't make any difference; BYU's o-line blows open a huge hole, and Taysom easily scampers into the end zone.

It's glorious to watch.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:57 p.m.

WON84
    PLANO, TX

Ditto.

What would one tend to think, Utah or Texas? Who has the better defensive line? Better linebackers? Better defense overall?

Who is likely to have the better offense, Utah or Texas? The better run game? The better qb? I know Wilson looks great right now, after feasting on Weber State. Ash was fed a steady diet of cougar blue, and it didn't sit as well with him as everyone thought it would.

So, you like your chances, we like ours. Soon enough, the talk will be over. Good luck with Oregon State. Please don't look past them.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:52 p.m.

@SLCWatch

You've just called for 87 carries. Not too many more plays to be had. BYU has just become Air Force. Is that what you really want?

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:42 p.m.

Leiske needs the ball more. Hill will not have success every week. The difference between the UVA game and Texas was Leiske.
    Hill still does not throw the ball well. Hill isn't as bad as many thought after Virginia and Hill is not Steve Young like many think because of the Texas game. The play calling was much better in the second week.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:29 p.m.

@WON 84

And the Texas defensive line had far superior athletes compared to BYU's offensive line. That tells me that scheme may, just may, have something to do with BYU's success and may have something to do with how the running game fares against Utah.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:00 p.m.

Well I don't want him to get hurt!!!

What parent would love to read this kind of fan's wish for their child"
    Let's enjoy the skills and talents this young man has but not to their deteriment.
    I have followed Jamaal's career since before he was recruited and I love his heart.
    I would wish he would walk away from the sport he loves before I would wish him injury to satisfy my selfish desires. Get real.

What I would like to see is Jamaal get 25 carries per game. Taysom with 10-12 with more sliding. Lasike with 15 carries, Alisa with 15, Hine with 15, JD with 5 on pitchouts, Thorton with 2-3 the same pitchouts as JD and for Taysom to throw as the passing lanes open up better and his arm recovers.
    Let's let Jamaal grow into this okay.

There are other Running backs too but I think they are redshirting Nick Carter and Algernon Brown. The peices for a powerful offensive group are coming together.

Always the optimist.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Sept. 11, 2013 3:56 p.m.

"Utah's defensive line is vastly superior to byu's offensive line, and if we throw in another guy or two to stop the run, byu will be relying on a guy that completes 33% of his passes to win the game?

Let's just say I like our chances!"

While I agree that Hill needs to pick it up in the passing game, the athletes on the Texas defensive line are far superior to those on the Utah line and team in general. Good luck if this is what you're holding onto.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 3:42 p.m.

So much talent on Texas and bad coaching, I don't anticipate 550 yards vs the U but BYU will do just fine. It'll be tough with the read-option and the dual threat of two runners, then if Hill can complete a few passes it'll amp up the pressure even more.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 3:33 p.m.

Statistically speaking I don't think you can project something with a sample of two.

• Perkunas Ashburn, VA
    Sept. 11, 2013 3:10 p.m.

I'd love to see Jamaal take a shot at Staley's record, but am concerned about putting too much on the young man's shoulders. There were a lot of concerned fans when he came out of the Texas game after getting folded backwards. I'd like to see a little more rotation to ease the load. If he goes down, BYU loses a huge edge. Alisa is a potent reliever and frankly we have waited forever to see Hine get an opportunity to show what he has.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 2:57 p.m.

"If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. But it’s going to be a fun ride and he’ll probably hurt a few other people in the process."

I like that attitude. Bag the passing tradition, run that football right at 'em Cougs!

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 2:17 p.m.

Hill is also on pace to crush(or whatever the opposite of shatter is) the record for lowest completion rate by a Division 1 QB.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 2:10 p.m.

After BYU's disappointing offensive production of the last few seasons, a dynamic duo reminiscent of Doman/Staley would be great. With an improve passing attack, this could be a really exciting offense to watch.

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 1:51 p.m.

Hill is completing 33% of his passes, good enough for dead last in the entire country.

Let's just say I like our chances!

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 1:49 p.m.

As soon as Taysom finds his throwing touch, BYU's offense is going to be impossible to stop. Combine an efficient running and passing game with an uptempo style that will keep opposing defenses gassed, and BYU could see a huge improvement from last season.