Jeff Benedict: The recruiting process of BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy involved trust, second chances

• Thidder MAPLETON, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 1:04 p.m.

I can't tell who is more special, Bronco or Kyle. The are the world's elite, bound for greatness. We will all be awed by their accomplishments when their history is immortalized in written tribute and in marble or bronze statues. There is nothing elso to say except hip, hip hooray for the boys in blue.

• utroyalwulff logan, ut, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 11:25 a.m.

He should have gone to Oregon, more exposure.

• come_on_man draper, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 11:09 a.m.

Lets just say this, be careful of the 'coffee' the marketing machine of BYU is trying to sell!

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 10:29 a.m.

This just shows the value of commitment coupled with the right influences. This is a win/win for both Mendenhall and KVN, and both are all the better for their association. I was particularly impressed with KVN last year when he made the decision to return for his senior year. Most college athletes fall all over themselves when the money is dangled in front of them, but not KVN.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 9:09 a.m.

Kyle is one of my all-time favorite Cougars. I can enjoy a BYU game isolating my attention solely on KVN...watching him play is like reading great poetry!

• BlackDiamond Provo, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 7:51 a.m.

KVN you're a Champ in our eyes already! Keep it up and always remember the reason why you came to BYU! Thou art the man!!

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 11:59 p.m.

Great story. We're fortunate to be able to watch KVN and enjoy seeing him succeed on and off the field. The even greater story is that BYU helps out thousands of kids every year in similar ways, not just high profile athletes. As a young man, I came to BYU many years ago and what I learned and experienced there taught me lessons that molded and guided me over a lifetime. Now, all of my children have been or currently are BYU students and I see the same benefits in their lives. Some people will never understand it but for many of us, having a great athletic program isn't the reason that we're BYU supporters, that's just the icing on the cake.

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    Sept. 11, 2013 6:30 p.m.

As a parent, I can only imagine how grateful Kyle's parents must be to Bronco for getting him to BYU and helping him straighten out his life.

I know as a fan how grateful I am to Bronco because I really enjoy watching that young man chase down opposing QBs!

• Jefe-Ute SLC, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 5:58 p.m.

Thanks for this article! It's tough to see lds people who don't feel welcome in the mormon community, but you have to give props to KVN for wanting to do the right thing. It takes a lot of guts to confess to mistakes and then make them right. I hate KVN for playing such tough D against the Utes, but man he sure has my respect for on and off the field character! Hope to see great things from him for the rest of his career at BYU and into the NFL.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 11, 2013 5:34 p.m.

She was, but her comment got deleted.

KVN is a prime example of the type of players Bronco is recruiting. BYU is fortunate to have such a fine young man choose to be part of BYU's program.

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Sept. 11, 2013 5:03 p.m.

While I will be pulling hard for the Utes during the big game, I will definitely be a big fan of KVN and Coach Bronco for many years to come. Godspeed gentlemen.

• Natester Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:47 p.m.

Kyle Van Noy is as good of a human being as he is a player. Love these kinds of articles - and not just about the BYU players. Same goes for any young man/woman who competes for the love of the game and to bring honor to his/her institution. Compare KVN to his counterpart at South Carolina, Clowney. Both are preseason All-American's and both projected to go in the first round of the NFL Draft. This past week, Clowney went on record with his complete dissatisfaction that he wasn't in the spotlight enough - "I told my coaches, ya gotta put me somewhere else where I can make some plays!" Really? How selfish. Thanks for your 'team' approach, Kyle. And thanks for being a COUGAR. Go Cougars!!!

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:41 p.m.

For all those who rush to trash BYU or anything "Mormon" for that matter, this is just one more example of the people we are trying to be as Latter-day Saints. We are only human and are error-prone. Kudos to Bronco, and in the case of Brandon Davies, kudos to Coach Rose, and everyone who stood by these young men and many others we will never hear about. Yes, we are less than perfect. Thank goodness for the principle of forgiveness for each of us.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:30 p.m.

What a great story, I appreciate Bronco more after reading this. "I never heard a coach talk like this".. classic, thats because BYU also focuses on spiritual stuff as well.

• ISLANDA Stansbury Park, ut
    Sept. 11, 2013 3:00 p.m.

I wish Chrissy B was here commenting that this young are not just football players they are human who are trying to better their life beyond football. What a sweet article!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 1:52 p.m.

Great story about a fine young man and a great player.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 1:47 p.m.

This is a story worth more than all the football I have enjoyed for 50 years.
    How many realize Jake Heaps helped Kyle Van Noy by letting him move in with him before coming to the Y?
    Maybe this is the reason Jake Heaps gave two years of his life to the Y and not his football career.
    Maybe Ziggy needed Kyle more than he needed football?
    How many know Kyle has been taken in by a family with small children that worship him...as a big brother and not a football player?
    Maybe the people who can't spell Bronco could remember what saving one soul is worth?
    Maybe another National Championship isn't the only goal, but edification is?
    I respect what Bronco has chosen to be much more than what he could be as a football coach.
    I would send him all my son's and daughters.
    They would all come back better men and women.

• haunyocker Springville, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 1:16 p.m.

Kyle has been an inspiration to me and I'm a 72-year-old old fart. The brace story is one we had at our house with our daughter. But the thing I love about Kyle is decision to sit out his first year to come to a school he didn't want to go to at one time and work on his character. The strength of his character was on display then and was again when he came back for his senior year saying "I've got to finish what I started."

Of course, we fans are the beneficiaries and privileged to watch him play one more year at BYU (thanks Kyle. I understand Bronco's helping with Kyle's life path is paying reward for other young men because Kyle is now helping other young kids on the team. He has the football creds, and the credibility of going through trying times.

With that said, I am enjoyed watching such a quality young man. I hope he makes millions in the NFL and plays a long time so I can watch. Which ever teams drafts him will have my loyalty. Go KYLE! and the Cougs!

• DP742 American Fork, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 12:33 p.m.

Love the article! Another great example of recruiting "fit." BYU is better off because of Kyle and Kyle is better off because of BYU.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 11, 2013 11:36 a.m.

Loved this story. So often a great player is "all about me". Obviously that is not the case with KVN. Impressive. Both games I've seen live (Ole Miss and SDSU in Poinsettia) were won by Kyle Van Noy. He's a very special player, and obviously a very special guy.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 11:34 a.m.

Great article, Great Player, and Better Kid. Hope him the Best.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 11:09 a.m.

BYU is lucky to have van noy. He is a great football player - "elite" is probably a better word.

Probably still has some growing up to do, but cougars should be proud of him.

Well written story.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 10:15 a.m.

We all know what he said why he chose to come back for his senior year was to get a degree, having fun during his senior year playing football and bring himself to where he can be drafted higher in the NFL. But, I wondered he feared after finishing and leaving BYU? We hope that he continue to stay in touch with Bronco M. and some of his best friends like Brandon Davies and other guys. I do remember that he had to wait one year before starting at BYU because of dui. There are a lot of good things and to do at BYU when being a student. Would it be interesting that Detroit Lions pick him so he can hang around with Ziggy? I would love to see him in 49ers. Have a good year Kyle.

• #1 Champ Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 9:45 a.m.

I had no idea. Kyle Van Noy is one cool cat.

Favorite defensive player in football.

• Funny/witty screen name Orem, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 9:43 a.m.

I have a friend that went to high school with k van noy. She said he was a hard time partier, obviously you can tell from the article. But what a great man he has turned into! What a change! Hopefully he is fully invested in staying out of trouble cause he will soon be making the big bucks in the NFL. Proud of ya van noy, keep it up and destroy those up north!!

• DRay Roy, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 9:40 a.m.

KV's story reminds us all that there is a big reward for persistence as we strive for becoming. His loyalty to a value-centered BYU is much appreciated.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 9:20 a.m.

Our daugter wore leg braces when she was an infant to correct a pigeon-toed condition. By the time she was two, she was out of the braces and walking just fine.

The legs braces are not a big deal, but climbing out of a crib and crawling around while wearing those braces does demostration a lot of spunk and determination.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Sept. 11, 2013 9:14 a.m.

Great article... even if KVN hadn't become the all-american he now is, his story is incredible and I'm sure his parents are very proud of the man he's become.

The follow-up to this excerpt is his honor code violation, delayed enrollment at the Y, and sticking to his original commitment and staying at the Y (despite several big time programs trying to sway him). And then, of course, his grooming of Ziggy, deciding to stick around for his senior season, and the inevitable success he will have this season. Movie in the making? Perhaps. Go Cougs!

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Sept. 11, 2013 9:07 a.m.

I'm impressed with KVN as a person. I saw him on the Cougar walk Saturday for a few seconds. His charisma was palpable.

• bw00ds Tucson, AZ
    Sept. 11, 2013 9:05 a.m.

Another great story. In leg braces as a child--wow. Overcoming loneliness and a life of partying. Another example of why Mendenhall is the right coach for BYU. Yes, part of BYU's mission is to win...but it is to win in so many ways off the field and within the scope of the mission of the church.

• vangroovin West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 8:59 a.m.

This is what BYU is all about - reaching out an connecting to others and helping them along the way; rescuing the lost, downtrodden, broken-hearted. Kudos to Bronco for living the overall message of BYU, "Enter to learn, go forth to serve." It's more than just football - much more.

• LindonMan Lindon, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 8:32 a.m.

I'm glad he's a Cougar!

• wazzup Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 8:25 a.m.

Put me on the proud of McMahon list. He will finish his credits at BYU and be in the BYU Hall of Fame. Considering what McMahon has dealt with over the years, that takes a lot of courage, humility and work as well.

I'm proud of both KVN and Jimmy Mac!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 11, 2013 8:11 a.m.

I gotta say, I'm more proud of Kyle Van Noy and Eli Herring than I am of a national championship and Jim McMahon.

Although the NC and Jimmy Mac aren't too shabby...