Sports

Commentary: ESPN QB ratings display unique characteristics of Keeton, Wilson and Hill

Comments

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 12, 2013 5:16 p.m.

Down under

"Well if I played high schools teams I would ranked high too. Wait until Wilson plays a real team and we will see the number take a nose dive."

I hope every Utah State football player sees that silly statement and posts it in the locker room for even more motivation come October 4th. Better yet, I hope all byU football players believe that silly statement. CK will make mince meat of your secondary both with his feet and with his arm.

Go Utes!! Go Aggs!!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 12, 2013 5:05 p.m.

Cougsndawgs:

I tried to send in a response to your post responding to my post (I'm dizzy now). For some reason, my post didn't get past the censors. Anyway, as intelligent as my thoughts are (and they are very intelligent, I might add), Deseret News doesn't want to post them. So let me just say - if the Deseret News will allow it - good luck to your Cougs on the 21st. I hope it is a hard fought game on both sides of the trenches. Obviously I think and believe my Utes will come out on top once again. I hope that Hill can find his passing game and that he is very successful, even if it begins with Utah. I would rather we beat a team at it's best.

Go Utes! Onward and Upward.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 11:14 a.m.

"And you want to proudly pound your chest over blah blah blah..."

What of anything I said is considered "chest-pounding"? Utah did what they were supposed to do. Nothing more, nothing less. You get further and further away from the point with every nonsensical argument.

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 7:12 a.m.

@StGtoSLC

"...Let me spell this out for you. Weber wears ugly purple unis."

Um...Weber wore white uniforms last Saturday against the Utes, but thanks for spelling it out for me.

"Weber is not a good football team when compared to Utah."

Of course they aren't...Utah has an athletic budget of over $36 million dollars, a $32 million dollar football practice facility, and the Utah athletics department is chipping in another $50 million of the $150 million it's planning to raise with another $50 million coming in from Pac-12 revenues.

And you want to proudly pound your chest over the superiority of Utah football over a small football school in Ogden with a paltry athletic budget and debate ugly uniforms???

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 12, 2013 12:18 a.m.

@Max for President

5 things we learn about BYU from re-watching the Texas game:
    1- Stacking the Box won't work against this BYU offense. Carefully watch the 3rd quarter. This is exactly what Texas switches to and Taysom, Cody and Ross punish them for 83 yds in 4 min. Think Hill can't pass? Think again.

-----------

Think again, that is absolutely impossible considering Tysom had only 67 total yards in the entire 2nd half:

1st Half: 4/17 62 YDS 0 TD 1 INT

2nd Half: 5/9 67 YDS 0 TD 0 INT

Here's all the 2nd half drives where Hill threw a pass:

3rd and 3 at BYU 28 Hill pass complete 31 yards
    1st and 10 at TEX 41 Hill pass complete for 8 yards
    1st and 10 at TEX 26 Hill pass incomplete
    2nd and 15 at TEX 31 Hill pass complete for 5 yards

1st and 10 at BYU 46 Hill pass complete for 12
    2nd and 8 at TEX 18 Hill pass incomplete
    3rd and 8 at TEX 18 Hill pass incomplete

1st and 10 at TEX 26 Hill pass complete for 11 yards

3rd and 12 at BYU 44 Hill pass incomplete

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 12, 2013 12:04 a.m.

@BYU sports on TV in Missouri.

----------

What about the great loss? Maybe you only not get BYU wins on TV in Missouri?

• mountainflying Logan, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 10:21 p.m.

Max for PREZ.....Texas is no good and I wouldn't be surprised if they only won 6 or 7 games this year. Also, Hill can run but he is the worst D1 thrower out there... Good luck with all of that!

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    Sept. 11, 2013 8:42 p.m.

@ Clark G

Are you serious Clark? Keeton has played well against every bcs team he played in his career: Auburn, Wisconsin and utah (*2)... I bet if Chuckie wanted to transfer he could go nearly anywhere he wanted. I'm glad he's an aggie.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 8:30 p.m.

VegasUte:
    There are flaws in your argument against Hoffmans stats. Would you throw the ball to him on every down if you're gashing a defense for 8-10 yards a carry? Yeah, I wouldn't either. The point I'm making is that Hoffman made 2 great grabs when Texas was loading the box...against BETTER corners than Utah has, by far. Chuckie lit Utah's secondary up...I wouldn't be talking about BYUs secondary when Utah's doesn't look any better.

Second...you act as if Utah has no weaknesses offensively. Let me say, their running game and RBs will put the fear into NO ONE. Without JWIV the running game looks very weak. You don't think BYUs defense will exploit that? Anotherr part of the passing game that you've obviously not addressed is pressure on the QB...BYU will bring it better than what Utah has faced so far. We shall see how Wilson deals with it. And Utah's secondary as I've already stated isn't anything to write home about. Both UVA and Texas had better secondaries than Utah. Again, I believe Hoffman can exploit that IMO.

• Max for President Brighton, MA
    Sept. 11, 2013 7:06 p.m.

5 things we learn about BYU from re-watching the Texas game:
    2- BYU's offensive is dangerous. Manny Diaz's firing was reactionary politics. Major Applewood's offense saw KVN and co. terrorize David Ash for 4 quarters. If the DC deserved firing, so did the OC.
    3- Passing underneath will be extremely hard against BYU. BYU's secondary is shockingly solid. 3rd and 4th quarter Texas tried repeatedly take shots within the cushion underneath and deep. Sorensen and co broke-up and batted down multiple shots. Dominant.
    4- Go Fast, Go Hard is legit. 99 plays. Texas was gassed by 1/2 time. By 4thQ their D line was bickering, lining up wrong and bewildered. It's too fast to substitute and excruciating. 5ys ago a whole game was 50 plays. Lasike, Williams and Hill are freakishly fit, and fuel a relentless pounding.
    5- Make no mistake. Texas didn't loose, BYU beat them--broke their backs in every phase.

• whowhatwhy Shire, 00
    Sept. 11, 2013 5:45 p.m.

I'm sorry. These comments just always seem to be the same attacks back and forth.
    Chuckie is the best by far. Also has played the most.
    Wilson is doing amazing and will continue to improve. Even again Pac 12
    Hill is a great runner.

If you know football at all. Then you know discounting what Wilson did against Weber St. is Lame. He got pulled in the 1st half and still scored 5TDS!!!!! 5!!!

If your going to talk about the competition of Utah..the same can be said about BYU. I'm sorry to say this...but Texas was only ranked in the top 15 because their name is Texas. I am betting they don't finish in the top 50. Rankings shouldn't even come out for the first 5 games! IMO.

I will tell you one thing! I would love to have Tysom behind Chuckie in the back field as a RB! He is amazingly fast and strong.

Go Aggies!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 11, 2013 5:07 p.m.

Cougsndawgs

"Texas did that a couple of times remember? How did that work out..."

Two passes for a combined 60 yards and no touchdowns - Hoffman's season stats. That is nothing really to write home about. Against USU, Utah had two WRs with catches of over 50 yards each against a far superior secondary than byU has. So, forgive me if I don't seem very impressed with Hoffman's season stats, because I am not.

"And the utes will face the best defense they've faced all year in Provo abt a week and a half from now."

We will face one of the best linebacking corps we will face all year, but will face probably the most inexperienced, undermanned secondaries in the nation. Since Wilson has already proven that he is accurate with the pass, and Hill has proven he is woefully lacking, Utah will exploit byU's weakness, but byU won't be able to exploit Utah's. Two thirty yard passes to Hoffman will not be nearly enough to beat Utah.

Go Utes!! Bring on the Holy War!! 4-0; 8-3 at LES!

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:38 p.m.

True Blue: the color of blueish-purple Kool-Aid infused tears flowing freely at LES, after a career sweep for the Ute seniors!

And don't forget, Kool-Aid Man has always been Crimson Red! "Oh, yeah!"

Go Utes!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 3:36 p.m.

Complimentary: "Yeah, keep thinking that way!"

Haha why shouldn't they? What impact will it have on the game if they think that way and are wrong? I've never heard a coach in a press conference after a loss say something like, "Well, our fans all thought that all we had to do was stop the run and we'd shut down their offense, so this loss is really on them. Despite my players' years of experience and 20 hours of preparation this week for this game, and all of my staff's countless hours of film study and scouting reports, we went ahead and read a few online comments and based our gameplan off of that."

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 3:35 p.m.

Solution,

"Taysom was doing well his freshman year, and he was doing great during camp. He has a bad case of the jitters, but he will correct them."

If there is one thing we can count on when BYU plays Utah, its error free football and mental composure, right?

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 3:30 p.m.

wwookie:
    "Hilll has "minor" problems throwing the ball? You think they're easily corrected? Or are you trying to discredit everything you've ever said? Pretty sure Hill wasn't trying to "correct" those problems over the last 7 months...."

Whether you like it or not, aiming the ball & rushing passes are minor, correctable issues. Some of it has to do with nerves, some of it has to do with an inexperienced O-line that has Taysom rushing passes instead of settling and setting his feet. How in the world does that discredit other things I've said? I've said he has a slower release but in college you can get away with that more than the pros...just ask Wilson, who has one of the slowest ugliest sidearm releases I've seen this side of Jordan Wynn. Taysom just needs to settle down and stop trying to throw rockets and aiming the ball. His release needs work as well as some of his mechanics, but at this level those aren't as big an issue (see Tim Tebow). As The Solution pointed out, he had no accuracy issues in 2013 and IMO it was because he wasn't rushing.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 3:23 p.m.

Weber grad: "Oh, now it’s the other team’s ugly purple uniforms that make him such a football king slayer."

Where in my response did I say that? That seems like your own intellectual ability making that correlation. Let me spell this out for you. Weber wears ugly purple unis. Weber is not a good football team when compared to Utah, and Travis torched them. These statements are inconsequential of each other.

I'd love for Travis to consistently have games like he has so far this year, one against a good team, one against a lesser team. Will each and every game have similar production from him? Most likely not. But he's already shown he can throw successful games against the PAC, so your prediction of his downfall just looks uneducated.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 3:16 p.m.

Chuckie has been amazing ever since his first game as a freshman. One of those rare players that can carry a team. I want to thank the cougars for sealing the deal with Keeton for USU.

The last time the y played in Cache Valley Chuckie was visiting as a recruit. When he saw the Aggies dominate the entire game and as Keeton witnessed the great crowd reaction he was sold.

It will be fun to have the y return next month.

• The Solution Las Cruces, NM
    Sept. 11, 2013 2:19 p.m.

One last thing. The accuracy issues have been a recent development. Taysom was doing well his freshman year, and he was doing great during camp.

He has a bad case of the jitters, but he will correct them.

• The Solution Las Cruces, NM
    Sept. 11, 2013 2:14 p.m.

U 90: I concur with what you said, with one correction. Most of Hills inaccurate passes have been high and right, going long not short. Yes there have been some short, low passes, but most bad passes have been overthrown.

This is important because it is easier to correct overthrown inaccuracies than it is to fix arm strength.

• The Solution Las Cruces, NM
    Sept. 11, 2013 2:06 p.m.

ekUte: Our Heisman winning QB spent 14 years in the NFL. He wasn't played because he was too small, but they had to keep him around because he was/is a QB genius. He is currently coaching a Texas high school team and he regularly makes appearances at BYU events. Your comments are wrong and way off base.

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 1:47 p.m.

AgVikBronc,
    As a Ute fan, and trying not to hate on the Cougars as that isnt healthy, I was glad to watch Hill have a career day. Do I want him to have another a week from Saturday? Of course not, and I don't necessarily want to see BYU do super well, because that gives Y fans big heads, and as a rival, that annoys me. But, as it's just a game and people are more important than that, I want to see BYU be successful.
    My concern for Hill is that his performance is unsustainable. I think Hill is a formidable runner, but that Texas game was quite flukey. I say that because I dont think their will be many teams that ill prepared against the Cougars. A solid game plan and Hill will be largely contained, as he is not nearly as skilled as a runner as Keaton imo. The problem is that he isnt enough of a passing threat. Although, I think his level of suckiness in the throw game is also unsustainable. He is bound to improve, but I dont think he will be a threat throwing come the 21st.
    Go Utes!

• Clark W. Griswold Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2013 1:23 p.m.

@ Down Under

"Well if I played high schools teams I would ranked high too"

Taysom Hill will get his chance playing two high school teams on Sept. 27 (Middle Tennessee) and November 16th (Idaho State). Maybe he'll have better success throwing the ball against those high school teams, since he obviously can't throw the ball on "real teams".

"Wait until Wilson plays a real team and we will see the number take a nose dive"

The same can be said about Chuckie Keeton and Taysom Hill! Let's see them lead their teams playing a BCS conference schedule. You can bet their numbers will take a nose dive.

• Complimentary Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 1:14 p.m.

Uteology and Christy B and all other proud utes: I love the way you guys think and I hope you continue to think that way, that Taysom can't pass, that he's one-dimensional, that the utes will simply stop the run and win easily, that you can leave your secondary to play one on one with Cody and Skyler etc. Yeah, keep thinking that way!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 12:32 p.m.

@ wwookie:

The Kool Aid some of us have been drinking is indeed really good. And yes, we are drinking up... thank you.
    You should try some.
    It's the kind that turns any red drink blue on it's way down.
    And man, is it ever refreshing!
    It might even make you into a real believer in True Blue.
    And if that doesn't, the game in 10 days certainly will.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 12:26 p.m.

@ ekute:

It sounds like you're saying that the Utes won't be playing at all a week from this Saturday.
    That must mean you are planning on them just rolling over and playing dead.
    Either that, or you're saying that BYU is greater than an ordinary "real" team and that the Utes are scared of them.
    But either way... Come on man, show a little confidence in your Utes!
    We both know BYU will be beating them, but it won't be as bad as you're making it out to be.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 11:48 a.m.

Down under,

The Utes will play a real team this Saturday and then another one 2 weeks from Saturday.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 11:33 a.m.

Wow Cougsndawgs, really?

Kool Aid must be good, drink up.

• AgVikBronc Preston, ID
    Sept. 11, 2013 11:13 a.m.

Every one of you guys on here bashing the guy from the other team are all just a bunch of liars if you can say you weren't cheering on the Cougars as Hill had a career day and the Y thumped Texas. It's good for all three teams when they all win and it's good for the state. With Hoffman and Apo on the outside, there aren't many teams in the nation that will try and stack the box against BYU to sell out on the run.
    As in the USU/UofU game I am not bold enough to try and predict a winner in any of the in-state matchups this year, I believe all three games can (could have) go either way. Any one on here who says their team will win with 100% confidence is delirious (uh hem, Chris B)
    Stats don't lie, Keeton and Wilson are beasts and Hill is pretty darn tough too. As for now, Keeton gets the nod will Wilson as a close second

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 10:52 a.m.

"...he's shown he can throw them against good teams as well as he has awful teams in ugly purple uniforms."

Oh, now it’s the other team’s ugly purple uniforms that make him such a football king slayer. Gotta love some of these Ute fans like StGtoSLC with their superior intellectual skills that allows such cerebral giants to make such a correlation.

Good enough...let's just wait and see how he stacks up after Pac 12 play this year, ugly uniforms and all.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 10:23 a.m.

Down under: "Well if I played high schools teams I would ranked high"

How did you not win the job over Riley last year then?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 10:18 a.m.

Weber State Graduate: "Let's see Wilson's stats against schools like Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, and Stanford before the chest thumping begins about how great Wilson is."

Vs. Arizona: 28-40, 311 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INT
    Vs. UCLA: 23-33, 220 yards, 1 INT (was forced to come off field for Hays' TD pass for having his helmet knocked off after carrying the ball to the 1 yard line the previous play)

That was last year with less experience and less polish in a less productive offense. Accurate passes are accurate passes, regardless of opponent. Be as ignorant as you want to it, but he's shown he can throw them against good teams as well as he has awful teams in ugly purple uniforms.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 10:07 a.m.

• Waylon77 Logan, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 9:34 a.m.

I don't think its a coincidence that the author listed them in the order of "Keeton, Wilson and Hill" in the title of the article. Just Saying.

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 9:31 a.m.

@Henry Drummond

"It seems there should be some accounting for "strength of the offensive line." Both Utah and Utah State keep their Quarterbacks standing on two feet a lot more than BYU's. I suspect that Hill's passing would improve considerably if he didn't have as much company in the backfield from the opposing team."

Taysom Hill has been sacked 3 times this year for a loss of 15 yards
    Travis Wilson has been sacked 3 times this year for a loss of 19 yards
    Chuckie Keeton has been sacked 3 times this year for a loss of 24 yards

I fail to see your point

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Sept. 11, 2013 9:20 a.m.

Wilson seems like the real deal. How cool that all three of the "big 3" have high caliber QBs this season.

I have a question. When someone posts five of the first ten posts, and most of those posts say essentially the same thing, and all of those posts could fit into one post (word count-wise), wouldn't that be considered spam and violate the DNews posting policy? Just curious.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 9:14 a.m.

Hill is rushing his throws and aiming the football at times which accounts a great deal for his inaccuracy. These are both minor issues and can be corrected. His passing effeciancy will improve as the season progresses. I'm just looking forward to Utah putting their 5,9 CB in man coverage with Cody Hoffman in an effort to load the box. Texas did that a couple of times remember? How did that work out...2 long pass plays where Hill threw it up there and Hoffman went up and got it. Btw I would take Texas' 4&5 star corners (both 2 yr starters and not rookies) over Utah's anyday. Please Utah...load the box, it will give Hill more passing yards and Hoffman closer to breaking all those receiving records.

And the utes will face the best defense they've faced all year in Provo abt a week and a half from now. The only defense they face all year that will even compare is Stanford. I think Wilson is going to have as many nightmares of KVN as David Ash...you can mark that down.

• shorts Payson, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 8:41 a.m.

Chris B

Steve Young:
    1981, going a combined 48 of 80 passing against Utah State and UNLV, while throwing five interceptions and just two touchdowns
    He was 2-2 in his first four starts as a BYU quarterback, completing 57 percent of his passes and throwing 12 interceptions to just five touchdowns.

And yet he turned into a great QB.

• shorts Payson, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 8:37 a.m.

Chris B

"I'd challenge you to fine a single "great" QB in the history of football who had the worst passing efficiency rating after 2 weeks."

Steve Young.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Sept. 11, 2013 8:04 a.m.

Tysjl

BYU has better athletes than Air Force and a much better defense.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Sept. 11, 2013 8:03 a.m.

ekute

BYU's Heisman-winning QB was under-sized for the NFL, but even so, he started 25 and played in 54 games over an 8-year NFL career, which dwarfs Utah's Sugar Bowl-winning QB who wasn't even good enough to make an NFL roster.

As an NFL QB, Detmer completed 546 of 946 passes (57.7%) for 6,351 yards and 34 TDs.

Not bad for a quarterback who supposedly "couldn't cut it in the NFL".

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 7:26 a.m.

I expect Wilson's statistics to go down significantly after entering PAC 12 play. After all, bragging about and including stats from a game where they beat up on a small school from Ogden with a football budget millions of dollars less that the Utes hardly counts as comparative statistical dominance. Let's see Wilson's stats against schools like Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, and Stanford before the chest thumping begins about how great Wilson is.

• SSmith Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 7:24 a.m.

Today we're all Beavers.

Go Cougs! Go Beavers!

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Sept. 11, 2013 7:20 a.m.

And declaring Wisconsin a powerhouse this year is premature. The two pasties they've played are hardly opponents that you can gauge UW's football prowess by. UMass won one game last year and only 12 in the the last three years in a very week conference. Teneessee Tech plays in the OVC and won only three games last year. I think BYU would look pretty good too if they played these two teams.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Sept. 11, 2013 6:52 a.m.

Wilson may not perform as well once he is introduced to Kyle Van Noy, Bronson Kaufusi, Eathyn Manumaleuna, Alani Fua, and Uani Unga.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 6:31 a.m.

Chuckie is one of the elite in the natian.
    Travis will lead the Utes to a winning season and a bowl victory.
    taysom might be pretty good at tight end.

skywalker,
    Your Heisman winning quarterback couldn't cut it in the NFL, hasn't been heard from since he left the y.

• Tysjl LOGAN, UT
    Sept. 10, 2013 11:12 p.m.

SLCWatch:

If you are alright to have an Air Force-style run game as BYU's entire offense, then let me tell you Air Force's record the last ten years in a moderate MWC (BYU's records in parentheses):

2012: 6-7 (8-5)
    2011: 7-6 (10-3)
    2010: 9-4 (7-6)
    2009: 8-5 (11-2)
    2008: 8-5 (10-3)
    2007: 9-4 (11-2)
    2006: 4-8 (11-2)
    2005: 4-7 (6-6)
    2004: 5-6 (5-6)
    2003: 7-5 (4-8)
    Total 67-47 (83-43)

It seems like a step downward to me. The fact is, if BYU can't figure out their passing problems (Taysom Hill), teams will learn to stop the run game and force BYU to pass. Don't expect many games like that (550+ yards rushing) against quality teams the rest of this season.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 10, 2013 10:39 p.m.

@ Y Grad/Y Dad

"But I think Travis will find BYU's defense to be more like USU's and less like Weber's"

No problem! Travis Wilson put up 302 yards passing on Utah State's defense (who returned most of their starters, BTW). Not only that! Wilson with his poise and leadership led Utah to a come from behind victory to beat the Aggies in the second half. As good as Chuckie is, it was Wilson that came out victorious! I am confident that Wilson will beat Hill on the field in two weeks.

I'm glad Utah finally has a quality QB! Travis Wilson is going to do great things on the hill during his career. This offense is going to be exciting to watch this year.

Go Utes!

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Sept. 10, 2013 9:23 p.m.

VegasUte

"That's what we hear every year with every QB you march on the field. How has that worked out for you the last 20 years?"

One Heisman Trophy, two Sammy Baugh Trophies (nation's best passer), two Davey O'Brien Awards (nations best QB), 4 QB's who were drafted and played in the NFL.

What national awards have Utah quarterbacks won?

Your Sugar Bowl winning QB wasn't even good enough to make an NFL roster.

btw, Heaps left on his own accord; he certainly wasn't "run out of town". He benched himself through his own inept play and lack of competitiveness.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 10, 2013 9:22 p.m.

"The rest of us only count the real wins."

And Utah actually has (plural) wins.

• BYU sports on TV in Missouri Lebanon, MO
    Sept. 10, 2013 9:02 p.m.

Strange... Not that long ago I was hearing....
    BYU could not beat ranked teams... They just did
    BYU could not beat a team with a big time program... They just did.
    BYU could not compete with a team who has recruits with more stars.... Um.. They just did.
    BYU coaches are not good enough.... other team fired a coach after they got beat....shows who was out coached....

Sure Hill's passing stats are not great. So what. Hill led BYU to a big time win. I am sure anyone could find plenty games where a QB had better stats and the team lost. I know that Utah fans like to count moral victories as wins....The rest of us only count the real wins.

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 10, 2013 8:43 p.m.

Wilson is the best in the state right now because he beat up on a patsy FCS team. It won't last when he starts playing decent teams on the road.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 10, 2013 7:00 p.m.

I'll hold with my previous comment: enjoy it while it lasts. I think many of you, both Aggie and Ute, are grossly underestimating BYU, both offense and defense. Some will say Hill has to get better at passing, he can't get worse. I'm saying, Hill will surprise U.

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    Sept. 10, 2013 6:36 p.m.

@slcwatch

BYUs last few QBs all haven't been able to pass. Heaps and Nelson were both busts. They were exactly who I said they were, just like I'm saying hill is. I'm watching the same game the coaches are.

Air Force runs a different offense than byu. Even AF QBs are hitting more than 40% Hill isn't. USU also just squashed Air Force. Please run all the time against usu & play to our defensive strengths, I'd like that.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 10, 2013 6:19 p.m.

You don't need a rating system to understand that Chuckie is the best QB is the state, Travis is consistently good and Taysom is a dangerous runner but still needs to work on accuracy (he mostly throws short). All 3 teams should feel good about their QB situation.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 10, 2013 6:17 p.m.

Henry Drummond,
    The strength of the offensive line is heavily weighted in ESPN's QB rating. Basically everything that happens in yards gained or lost is given a score that is split among the participants of a play.

For example, if a QB is sacked after 2 secs, then the yardage loss (and associated negative score) is mostly given to the O Line. In comparison, if a QB is sacked after 8 secs and he's fled the pocket, then most of the negative points go to the QB.

The concepts of this rating system are very easy to understand but include a lot of complex statistics behind it. It is the measurement for people like you and I who want to consider all the factors that hinder or help a QB in rating whether he is good or not.

The ESPN web page has a good explanation of this and you can always google it. Lots of sports junkies have posted some of the details.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 10, 2013 5:51 p.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad:

"I'm willing to stay and see how that turns out."

That's what we hear every year with every QB you march on the field. How has that worked out for you the last 20 years? byU QBs will get respect from Utah when they earn it on the field. As far as the Texas win goes, that really would have meant something and been impressive .... IF Hill hadn't lost to a horrible Virginia team the week before. Your last five star QB got run out of his own stadium 54-10, remember? But hat's right, byU never gave Utah any respect for that win because in their minds Utah didn't win the game.

"But I think Travis will find BYU's defense to be more like USU's"

Um ... Wilson already beat USU.

Thanks for trying!

Go Utes!!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 10, 2013 5:41 p.m.

Ifel Of'a-sofa

"My money would have them in this order:
    1 Keeton
    2 Wilson
    3 Hill"

Right there with you on that call. I love Wilson and his potential, but Keeton is - hands down - the best in the state.

All the running stats and high school passing stats can't mask the fact that Hill can't hit the side of a barn. That was CLEARLY in evidence in the Virginia game. Too bad for Hoffman that he didn't go pro last year. He has nobody to give him the ball!

Go Utes! Go Ags!

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Sept. 10, 2013 5:39 p.m.

killarney:
    Wilson's best games are yet to come. You can count on that.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    Sept. 10, 2013 5:35 p.m.

Chris B

"If those QB's went on to have great seasons, they had great seasons because they could THROW and run."

two words: reading comprehension

Taysom Hill is the ONLY QB EVER to lead his team to 550 yards rushing versus Texas.

Those "other" QBs you've conjured out of thin air, DON'T EXIST!

It's becoming obvious, that the closer we get to the BYU/Utah game, the more frantic and emotional your denials are becoming.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2013 5:34 p.m.

I have no great powers of prediction or prognostication as some of you have.
    I am not a Division one coach like some of you
    but in a small way I pay attention to details.

The BYU coaches aren't saying alot about the passing.
    They are confident in their QB.
    They aren't calling for emergency measures.
    They know things none of us know.

I'll remain the optomist.
    I expect many positive surprises this season.

Oh, and for those who say this trend can't be sustained...
    Ever watch the Air Force running game?
    And we haven't even seen some of our running backs turned lose yet.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 10, 2013 5:29 p.m.

Uteology
    East Salt Lake City, Utah

And others, enjoy it while it lasts. Yes, Texas may have been over-rated, and yes, management was right to roll a head, but there's a whole lotta ute head in the sand going on if you think that somehow all that 4 and 5 star talent counts for nothing.

Kinda ironic, seeing as how we've heard a steady drum beat of how superior Utah athletes are, but now with Texas, that's a non factor.

So bring it. Stack 8 or 9 in the box. Overplay the Taysom run threat, challenge him to throw. I'm willing to stay and see how that turns out. But I think Travis will find BYU's defense to be more like USU's and less like Weber's.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 10, 2013 5:16 p.m.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2013 4:44 p.m.

@skywalker,

Think any of those "QB's 5 in the nation in rushing after two weeks" were the WORST qb in the country in passing efficiency?

Not a chance!

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Sept. 10, 2013 4:27 p.m.

Chris B

How many QB's who were 5th in the nation in rushing after the first two weeks and lead their team to the most rushing yards EVER given up by Texas, went on to have a great season?

We'll have to see. But those gleefully writing Taysom off may be bitterly disappointed by season's end.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2013 4:07 p.m.

killarney,

Good luck(if you dare look)!

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Sept. 10, 2013 3:41 p.m.

My money would have them in this order:
    1 Keeton
    2 Wilson
    3 Hill

I have been impressed and surprised by Wilson, he will be good for Utah in the upcoming years.
    Hill can run but can't pass, not sure he has ever hit a receiver in stride.
    Keeton is the man!

• killarney Lincoln Park, IL
    Sept. 10, 2013 3:30 p.m.

If there is one thing to take away from all these numbers, it's this:

Travis Wilson has peaked and his numbers will go down from here.

Chucky Keeton will continue strong and will likely end up with the best numbers at season's end.

Taysom Hill's numbers will improve significantly throughout the season and will likely overtake Wilson for 2nd in state.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2013 3:18 p.m.

"Currently, he is dead last on the ESPN rating, 138th overall, with a minus-9.0 rating in pass EPA"

LOL, Spin all you want

I wonder how many QB's who were DEAD LAST through the first two weeks went on to have great seasons?

NONE I'm quite sure.

LOL

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2013 3:16 p.m.

What?

You mean a 33% completion rate isn't good?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2013 3:16 p.m.

10 in nation
    15 in nation
    63 in nation

Says it all

Go UTES

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 10, 2013 3:11 p.m.

Hill - dead last in passing? Ouch!

I love Travis Wilson's overall potential. This week will go a long way in showing whether his current scores are warranted.

Hill is a great runner and definitely needs to learn a pass play or two. With the way I saw him run against Texas, it still blows me away that he lost to Virginia, of all schools. With all of his cards on the table, all a team needs to do is prepare for the run and they will be successful against Hill. Hill may prove me wrong, eventually, but I don't think it will happen any time soon.

Chucky impressed me a great deal. His rating has been earned and will continue to be high. I am just glad that he is behind us in the schedule and that Wilson got the W in that contest. BYU will be in for a long day against Chucky with their porous secondary.

Go Utes!! Go Ags!

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    Sept. 10, 2013 3:00 p.m.

Hill will not likely rush for 259 yards again. The reason for the firing of the texas dc was not because byu's offense was spectacular. The byu offense as shown Saturday cannot be sustained over a season. The ute, aggie, and Wisconsin defenses are all too good to allow Hill to run at will. Hill has to learn to throw, if he doesn't expect the cougars to lose big in all 3 of those games and lose other games as well.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 10, 2013 2:58 p.m.

"Hill, who has the least starting experience among the three, has the biggest variation across the board." --DN

Actually, Tebow-lite can't pass is the reason for the biggest variation. Considering Wilson who is less mature (age wise) has only started 4 more games.

How do you go 13/40 against Virginia? Maybe he just can't throw in the rain? I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks.

• YBALL Provo, UT
    Sept. 10, 2013 2:47 p.m.

Hopefully Taysom can work on getting his timing down with receivers these next two weeks. Now that they have some game experience and live action they know what to work on. If he can improve on his passing game there is potential for him to be a true Dual-Threat QB.