Faith

American icons relish chance to collaborate on concert

Comments

• InspectorC Wasatch Front, UT
    Sept. 10, 2013 6:55 a.m.

Doug (Robinson):

EXCELLENT article! In the opening paragraph or two, I was perplexed/"offended" that anyone would intimate that James Taylor was a bizarre match to work with the MoTC. What could be further from the truth?!?!

But then Doug redeemed himself through the remainder of this article by writing-up such an outstanding critique/review of the concert.

Wish we could have attended! I'll add my voice to the others requesting that this concert be made available to watch online or on BYUTV/PBS! PLEASE! Pretty-please!!

• dasha! Provo, UT
    Sept. 9, 2013 8:24 p.m.

djk: The Tanner Gift of Music is not for LDS members only. People of all faiths (and even no specified faith) attend these concerts. This gift was created in the 1970s for the entire Wasatch Front community. O. C. Tanner and his friend Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley worked together to foster unity in the community in many ways, and this Gift of Music is one of the biggest/most famous ones. The purpose was to create a series of free concerts funded by an endowment from the Tanners which would feature the combined talents of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Utah Symphony plus include renown soloists, choirs, and conductors as guest artists in order to make these world-class concerts. Likewise, with the technology now available some 40 years after the creation of the gift that makes it possible for those outside this area to enjoy the concerts, any broadcasts/DVDs that are made available are for the enjoyment and uplifting of all people...not just LDS. (BTW, it WILL be broadcast, and James Taylor owns the rights to release a DVD of the concert if he chooses.)

• djk blue springs, MO
    Sept. 9, 2013 11:35 a.m.

good for those whom live in utah. how about broadcasting on byutv so many others can enjoy this. there are members outside of utah and idaho

• Boring Account Name West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 9, 2013 10:47 a.m.

Where can we watch a recording of the concert, would love to!

• theodoreable Heber City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 7:30 p.m.

There will be a broadcast on BYU TV and I heard JT has the rights to a DVD as part of the deal. The former I know for sure.....so look for it soon.

• cindyb CASPER, WY
    Sept. 8, 2013 6:23 p.m.

Went to a James Taylor concert several years ago in Casper, Wyoming and was enthralled every minute of the evening. I can only imagine hearing this group effort in person. Yes, I want the DVD for sure! He and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir share the distinction of making music that touch the depth of our souls.

• FREDISDEAD West Point, ny
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:09 p.m.

SOOOO annoying to hear those who received tickets did NOT attend. *frown* My wife and I would have LOVED to go.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 7, 2013 5:51 p.m.

Hearing JT live or recorded is pure therapy. You simply can't listen to his music without feeling better. He was the soundtrack for my teenage years and numerous dates and was the first concert I took my wife to. I've seen him in SLC, Germany, Italy and Tanglewood. I've raised my whole family and now my grandkids on James Taylor. What a great idea to have him sing with the MoTabs.

I'm one of many who wants to know when this will be broadcast and when there will be a DVD. This should be put on PBS during fundraising week...

• boatlover Sandy, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 2:17 p.m.

There were several empty seats at the Friday night concert. I think anyone could get in if they go to the North Gate of Temple Square and get in the standby line early. It would be worth the wait. The concert was TERRIFIC!!

• TonyaLee TUCSON, AZ
    Sept. 7, 2013 2:14 p.m.

Hopefully the concert will be broadcast on BYUTV! Has anyone heard?

• DisneyMom Monroe, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 2:03 p.m.

For anyone interested - last night there were plenty of empty seats after all standby guests were admitted. I bet you can get in tonight!

• Cleanliness Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 12:43 p.m.

Not bad for a man discovered by the Beatles.

• terra nova Park City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:51 a.m.

Thanks to O.C Tanner and all those who help make the "Gift of Music" program possible. Thirty years of music for the community! Thank you, thank you thank you. The concert was wonderful.

Perhaps working with JT will loosen Mac Wilberg's style up a little. Probably not, but one can hope.

• mare54 KIHEI, HI
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:32 a.m.

That's great! I'd love a DVD of that concert as well. I've seen James Taylor in concert and he is very personable.

• I Choose Freedom Atlanta, GA
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:30 a.m.

I tried to be there but didn't make the cut for tickets. So sad. Bet it was a great performance.

• DonP Sainte Genevieve, MO
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:09 a.m.

I will add my desire for a DVD for those of us who could not attend or at least make it available on the Mormon Channel or BYU-TV.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:46 a.m.

One correction, which may point out the need for reporters to read the program of the show they cover: the article listed a choir number "It's A Great Night For Singing", it should read "It's A Grand Night For Singing", a great song from the musical "State Fair".

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Sept. 7, 2013 9:42 a.m.

My wife will be chomping at the bit, for a DVD of this, if one is released.

• timpClimber Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 8:48 a.m.

Hope the Choir will release a DVD of this concert. I would be enjoyed by all of us who didn't get to experience it.

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 8:41 a.m.

Rout
    Really comparing James Taylor to rappers? He's only been an American mainstream performer with over a forty years of popularity and rappers with little following and a few years of performing. Your comparison is weak at best. Taylor and mo tab/symphony were terrific

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 8:27 a.m.

Sweet Baby James! I wish I could've been there!

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 8:15 a.m.

The choir has yet to do the simpsons, however,

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 7:17 a.m.

Terrific concert. The choir and symphony was spectacular. James and his group were fantastic and he genuinely seemed pleased to be there. I have never seen James in a suit and tie. As always events at the conference center are first class.

• JoeCoug OREM, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 6:51 a.m.

Well-written article, Doug. Thank you. I was in attendance with my lovely bride last night and could not have enjoyed it more. I laughed, cried and just felt plain blessed to be in the presence of such wonderful artists. James Taylor's music has always been, to me, part of my American, lexiconic experience. What a treat...

• DRay Roy, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 6:24 a.m.

James Taylor is that friend of the solitary-soul moments in life, where you find yourself singing, "I only wish that I could see you again." He reaches down to the marrow, as The Choir lifts Heaven-ward the Soul, and we rejoice as re-united family, in the most harmonious of strains. Bravo! Well done all, and an earnest thanks to Pres. Gordon B., love him all the more!

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Sept. 7, 2013 4:16 a.m.

So what's next, rappers in tuxedos?

• USA Salt Lake City, UT