Sports

Commentary: What BYU can learn from Ole Miss and Notre Dame about tailgating

Comments

• The Solution Las Cruces, NM
    Sept. 11, 2013 3:14 p.m.

Give it some time...

We have to remember that tailgating wasn't allowed until recently. These efforts are pretty new, so it will take awhile to establish tail-gating.

The way it could evolve... make it family oriented, meaning loaded with fun stuff: multiple air, jumping thingys (I don't know what those are called), Slip-n-side on the grassy hills north of the stadium, etc. BYU students are the best at comming up with stupid-fun games... what else you gonna do at #1 Stone-Cold-Sober school? I'm sure they can come up with something.

How bout trying to set a new record for the world's biggest water balloon fight, every home game, inviting the visitors to participate. Of course, the balloons have to be filled with blue water.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Sept. 7, 2013 7:40 a.m.

""Saturday is a special day; it's the day we get ready for Sunday.""

Hilarious Levin! You are right. The #1 reason BYU fans don't tail gait well is the LDS culture. The LDS Church is one of the few religious bases where the church is a major part of life and it keeps us busy. People in Utah have families to take care of, and most of the time they can't spend 3 hours sitting around doing nothing but eating. Even when I'm not in school living in Nebraska, I have to squeeze time in just to watch BYU on TV, let alone leaving early to go to the game and tailgait.

I never tailgaited as a BYU student...I had no time for that. Other than cheering for BYU, most BYU fans don't really know how to be good fans. They are clueless what to wear to games and I'm appalled when I see a rainbow in the stadium, even bright red jackets. I'm so glad I'm not around to see this anymore.

I don't foresee BYU fans changing anything anytime soon.

• Levin Hightstown, NJ
    Sept. 6, 2013 10:53 p.m.

First, drinking is a major part of tailgating for a lot of football fans outside of BYU. So already there's a big draw that just isn't going to resonate with a lot of BYU fans.

Second, for a lot of BYU fans, "Saturday is a special day; it's the day we get ready for Sunday." So that doesn't leave a lot of time for pregame parties, when the housework has to get done that day. Also other LDS Church activities like baptisms, Scout camps, and leadership meetings are competing for the Saturday morning hours.

Third, and this gets to the heart of it: for most BYU fans, "football is fifth". We just aren't going to be as crazy about it as fans of other schools. And that is okay.

This is not to say we can't have a reasonable tailgating culture, but just recognize that there are some good reasons other than "BYU fans are boring" that it doesn't and may not ever have the same hold in Provo as in other places.

• Idaho Dad Pocatello, ID
    Sept. 6, 2013 9:46 p.m.

We stayed in the newly-designated RV "tailgating" lot for a game last year. It was a good neighborhood with some friendly folks and true tailgating atmosphere but it's not situated in a place that will welcome visiting fans or attract anyone not staying there. It was nice to be removed from student parking, but a bummer to be separated from the non-RV tailgating area over on the East side.

What about the Helaman Recreation Area field (immediately south of the stadium)? The Intramural fields West of the West parking lot would be good. You could have day-gaters on the grass and RV campers in a portion of the West lot, all together there and near the action. Either of these grass fields would be more welcoming than the asphalt locations today.

In the meantime, thanks to Tom H. for the efforts and improvements made so far. Much appreciated. Glad to see the effort to enhance the game-day experience and atmosphere for home team and visiting fans.

• future president Logan, Utah
    Sept. 6, 2013 9:39 p.m.

Who am I sir....

Funniest thing I have ever read.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 9:11 p.m.

The difference between BYU tailgaters and Ole Miss and Notre Dame tailgaters?

More Mini Vans with family stick figures on the back window (including pet dog)

• sky2k1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 8:20 p.m.

As always, I'm disappointed in BYU's fans. Maybe this year will be better with first come first serve seating at the game?

• Kings Court Alpine, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 7:19 p.m.

Just from my experience of driving I-15 every day, I can attest to the fact that plenty of Utah Valley folks know plenty about tailgating.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 6:04 p.m.

From my experience, BYU can learn about tailgating from anyone!

It's been a few years since I was invited to go to a cougar game and tailgate with my neighbors. (They had heard of my tailgating at the U for years!) Well, my neighbors idea of tailgating was to have peanut butter sandwiches in their van on the way to the game.

It truly was an experience I will never forget!