Family

Geeking out: Salt Lake Comic Con draws huge crowd

Comments

• Aislee SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 7:27 p.m.

70,000 tickets sold, NOT including children under 12 who got in for free. They were turning people away. If you consider that for Arts Festival they expect the same number, that's huge.
    @Well.OK - I know a lot of Married couples with kids who went. My boyfriend went as Press. I think it's time to move out of the 80s and realize that the younger generations embrace comics, comic book movies, sci-fi etc. as part of culture. I wish it had been so accepting when I was younger. Slowly this is becoming the norm, and people with the views and stereo-types you express are moving into the minority. I'm kind of surprised Deseret News let your comment even fly.

• Contrariusester mid-state, TN
    Sept. 6, 2013 3:57 p.m.

@Mom of 8 --

"Yes, they did! No unnamed ensigns died an ignominious death in an alien neighborhood. "

You obviously didn't include any redshirts in those costumes. Good call.

;-D

Where was this con when I was living in SLC?? I did attend some cons when I was "that age", but nothing nearly this big. I bet it's fun!

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 3:00 p.m.

Happy Valley, Maudine: I'm reminded of a mom who once made the comment (seriously) "I would never let my kids play with those Pokémon toys! Pokémon is short for 'pocket monsters'!!"

Oh the horror!

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 12:35 p.m.

@ Chris: No, I wouldn't.

Thank you Maudine for your accurate answer.

I heard that someone wears a funny hat though?

• Maudine SLC, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 11:23 a.m.

@ Chris B: Why would someone who is not religious compare something as benign as ComicCon CosPlay as satanic? "Satanic" in and of itself is a religious word implying a belief in God and Heaven and their counterparts.

A non-religious person would never use the word satanic.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 11:04 a.m.

happy valley,

How do you know they are religious?

You wouldn't be stereotyping would you?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 10:20 a.m.

@Mugabe

If there's anyone who would know what symbols mean in the context of shows and comics... it'd be these people, not someone sitting on the sidelines saying it looks satanic.

• Mom of 8 Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 10:08 a.m.

JP~

Thank you for your concern.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 9:23 a.m.

Mugabe said: "It looks more like a "Satanic ritual" than a comic. No offense intended, but there are so many symbols that I don't think that people who understand what they mean can miss the point."

Oh the irony of a religious person making jest of a fan of fantasy and make believe, who's use of symbology is rivaled only by religious organizations.

This will be BIG! Their is a huge underground and above ground fan base in Utah for this type of entertainment.

• Maudine SLC, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 8:55 a.m.

What a fun event!

• JP Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 6, 2013 8:37 a.m.

@Mom of 8: "...for one Halloween I made each of my eight children a Star Trek uniform, and they went trick-or-treating together as an "Away Mission."

Did they all make it back?

• Mom of 8 Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 7:49 a.m.

Ah, come on guys--this is an amazing event! I have kids going (and with spouses!). I'd go myself to meet my favorite actors from Star Trek (Q and Lt. Barclay) if only I had the time and money.

Geeks and nerds who love these shows and movies are some of the most fun, devoted, and engaging people you'll meet.

Then again, maybe I'm biased because for one Halloween I made each of my eight children a Star Trek uniform, and they went trick-or-treating together as an "Away Mission."

• FrankSegesman ,
    Sept. 6, 2013 7:11 a.m.

Not a single date was had...

• Mugabe ACWORTH, GA