BYU football notebook: Coordinator Robert Anae shaking up Cougars' starting offensive line

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 5:49 p.m.

@ scenic view

"LOL at your BYU hating fantasy. Anae couldn't care less how many yards Texas put up last week, because Robert is the OFFENSIVE coordinator."

BYU hating?? I graduated from BYU. What are you talking about?

And perhaps you did not know this, but GOOD OCs DO worry about how many yards and points the other teams' offenses can put up - it is a competition to see who can put MORE points on the board.

I thought that was covered in Football 101. I guess you missed that class?

• texas onery mo city, TX
    Sept. 4, 2013 6:28 p.m.

Regarding Anae's comment about building on momentum from Virginia game-there was no momentum. BYU must first overcome inertia. They don't look any better than last, possibly worse. With the stronger schedule I predict BYU to have only a 5 win season, losing to both Utah and Utah State.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Sept. 4, 2013 6:21 p.m.

The O-line needs some work, but we all knew that going into the season. I hope the shake up lights a fire in one or two of them... that could mean the difference in the next few games. I don't get the Anae critics. I think the GFGH offense actually worked better than expected for the first game of the season in horrible conditions. While we looked dazed and confused at times Virginia was more affected by the pace, which I think led to some positive outcomes. As things come together and if the offense steps up we could still be a force this season.

• DaveKnowsWhatsUp Bloomington, IN
    Sept. 4, 2013 4:58 p.m.

We need to give Anae time to fine tune his offense? What were the past 8 months for? What about the years he was here before? Anybody can call runs up the middle and 7 yard outs. I've always been optimistic about the next game, but watching the same useless offense we've endured for five+ years has left me without much hope for this season. I don't even care if BYU wins or loses, but for three decades their offense was at least fun to watch...we don't even have that anymore, and I'm beyond frustrated waiting for Anae and company to figure things out.

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    Sept. 4, 2013 11:21 a.m.

Anybody need some tissue or a shoulder to cry on?

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 4, 2013 11:03 a.m.

The saddest thing about this week is how much I miss Duckhunter. He will be back though after the Texas loss and he will be salivating for the red and blue game.

BYU will be ready for Utah after their bye week. That game will mean a ton for both schools, as Utah heads into the meat of their schedule after week 4. Oregon State and BYU in weeks 3 and 4 will be huge for Utah and their season momentum.

Even if BYU gets throttled by Texas, they can regroup. Beating Utah would turn things around for them and Middle Tennessee follows that game. From there, USU will be a handful. But moving on sfter that, there are a slew of winnable games on the so called toughest schedule ever. Wisconsin and Notre Dame are most likely losses, but the old grey mare ain't what she used to be with Boise State. Plus Nevada, Houston, and Idaho are wins for a team with any stability and ability. At this point though, nothing is a given except Idaho for a BYU team that looks very vulnerable.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 4, 2013 10:53 a.m.

Oh the gloom and doom of week one.

And I thought this was BYU's national championship season in the making.

Things will get better this week when worf predicts BYU 42
    Texas 9

• IDC Boise, ID
    Sept. 4, 2013 9:54 a.m.

I watched the 2nd half for the first time last night -thanks BYUTV. Some mistakes were made but Williams is a great back and I still have hope for Hill and the Oline. Hill made some nice passes and has a good arm. I wish BYU had Idaho or Middle Tennesee instead of Texas this week. BYU can beat Texas, just need a perfect game.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 9:50 a.m.

My honest, heartfelt opinion of your comment on Ausin Collie (as with all others you've made about him ever since he burned Utah on 4th and 18 several years ago) was well thought out, displayed an incredibly knowledgeable position on the subject, oozed with class, was very thought provoking, and overall was among the best ever made on the Deseret News. It truly displayed your brilliance and exceptional capacity to comment on this particular football player.

There, that shouldn't trigger the 'personal attack' denial the last 3 comments have.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    Sept. 4, 2013 9:13 a.m.

Y Ask Y

LOL at your BYU hating fantasy. Anae couldn't care less how many yards Texas put up last week, because Robert is the OFFENSIVE coordinator. Stopping Texas's offense is Bronco's concern and BYU's defense looks to be just as good as last year's defense.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 9:00 a.m.

Anae may be experiencing the deer in the headlights stupor. I mean, he probably lies awake at night repeating "How many yards did Texas put up last week?"

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Sept. 4, 2013 8:16 a.m.

"BYU fans need to lighten up a little and give Anae time to fine tune his offense."

Couldn't agree more. BYU did well fighting through a lot of adversity on Saturday. IF they can get their offensive line issues resolved, they still have a chance to be a very good football team. With a legitimate QB playing behind center, I see much more potential in this year's offense, than I saw last year.

• u25 West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 8:08 a.m.

Last year byu and Utah both had their worst offensive lines ever. This year byu's line has even less talent. While Utah has there deepest line ever.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 7:43 a.m.

After watching the entire game for the first time last night (family reunion on Saturday provided for numerous disruptions), it was obvious BYU has a lot of work to do on their offense, but there were some positives, like BYU's final 92-yard scoring drive.

One Jamaal Williams catch instead of a tipped-pass interception was the difference between a loss and a hard fought win. Considering this was the first game of the season, with a massive 2-hour mid-game disruption, a puddle filled field, wet ball, pouring rain, a newly installed offense, a completely overhauled offensive line, a QB starting only his 3rd game, and missing their best receiver, BYU's offense still managed to show sparks of brilliance.

BYU fans need to lighten up a little and give Anae time to fine tune his offense. I expect to see much improvement this Saturday.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 2:28 a.m.

Re: SLCWatch

You took the words right out of my mouth. These other posters apparently think they would be better coaches than the current coaching staff. Fortunately they don't have a background to be considered or we might have an even worst season ahead of us.

Re: All other naysayers:

We had a bad first game. Many teams do. Over the years BYU has beaten many nationally ranked teams in their first game. Those teams adjusted and went on to have very successful winning seasons. I'm happy that the coaches are shaking things up in practice this week. I'd be much more concerned if they didn't.

I believe the staff will make effective adjustments and we will see a different team moving the ball on Saturday. Hopefully last weeks game was an eye opener for the team also and they will play with new energy this week.

Go Cougars!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 12:57 a.m.

Oh yeah, and play Brayden Kearsley at Right Guard he's the next best option at guard, IMO.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 12:34 a.m.

To SLCWatch: GREAT comment!!!!

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 12:28 a.m.

BYU announced before the UVA game that they were taking 11 O line guys. Anybody know how many played?

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 12:01 a.m.

It's too bad to hear Ryker Matthews not being healthy. Something seemed amiss with him last Saturday. I remember thinking after he single-handedly gave up two sacks that either he has the worst attitude in the world or he's not trying at all. Turns out he is hurt. Hopefully the shake ups will do something. I'm not sure all of the best guys on the roster are playing still. Manaaki Vaitai is a physical presence on the line like Famika Anae was last year. I hope moving the other guys around makes a difference. I'm not expecting a win by any means on Saturday, but I'll be encouraged if I see improvement.

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 11:26 p.m.

I don't know what 72coug12 is doing for a living in casper, WY, but Bronco might want to consider replacing Anae with him.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 11:09 p.m.

Bronco Mendenhall announced today a massive change in staff.
    He will stepdown and he fired all the coaches.
    Tom Holme announced Now coaching will be a council, committee made up of:
    Offensive Coordinator: GoodGuyGary of Houston, Texas
    Offensive Line Coach: Thriller of St. George, Utah
    Special Teams Coach: LoneStar Runner of SLC, Utah
    Coaching Coaches: CWEB of Orem, Utah
    Head Coach with all the answers: 72Cougar12 of Casper Wyoming
    Football Coordinator: HeyBaby of Franklin Indiana
    Chris B's replacement: Proud Ute.
    We look forward to a perfect season now.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 11:06 p.m.

Bad play calling bad play performance and a coach who can't tell who should be starting on the offensive line? Wow a perfect recipe for disaster! This was a total mess. Does Coach Anae know what the heck he's doing? Theres a huge difference in an up tempo offense and an offense with some rhythm . Going fast and hard doesn't always yield results. Having rhythm and flow is the answer. The offense Coach Anae is trying to play here at BYU doest't work. It works at Oregon because they have a flow and they have a coach who is certain as to who should be starting on the O-line. What has Robert been doing since he re-joined the staff? The O-line should have been set long before this. Subbing O-linemen in and out of the game creates confusion not flow. This guy needs to get it together NOW not LATER!

• peacemaker Provo, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 11:06 p.m.

We still love the Cougs.
    However: Ammon Olsen is an awesome passer under pressure
    Receivers lacking in catching the ball
    Passing accuracy was terrible. Wet balls didn't help.
    Too many rush plays. Not enough team speed? Take a break occasionally and settle things.
    If it's ain't broke don't fix it. If it's broke don't wait.
    We know you've already recognized all of the above.

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    Sept. 3, 2013 10:06 p.m.

Hijack plane from Austin...BYU has a chance versus Texas.

• 72coug12 casper, WY
    Sept. 3, 2013 9:55 p.m.

Dear Bronco,
    1. You fired Anae once...there was a reason. Did Saturday jog your memory?
    2. BYU has had no offense since you took over. Its passed time. (Pun intended)
    3. You might consider getting a center who can actually snap the ball
    4. You might consider getting an offensive line. Perhaps you noticed at Virginia, you don't have one.
    5. You might consider getting a quarterback. 13-40 Yikes! Yes you said there were some dropped balls (which only proves you have no receivers w/o Hoffman) but of the 13 catches 3 or 4 were well behind the receiver and but for those receivers TH would have been 9-40. And of the remaining 9 most of them were behind the line of scrimmage.
    GET A QUARTERBACK. No one wants 4 more years of Riley ball.
    6. You might consider a special teams practice. They stunk it up.
    8. If your offense plays the rest of the season like they did Saturday you will be lucky to go 4-8. You won't lose a bowl game cause you won't be in one.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 9:46 p.m.

Anae's pride and stubbornness will be his offense's undoing. "Nothing is going to change." This rush-rush plan will be hurtful to the entire offense, as was Riley Nelson. Going to be a long year folks. I am happy I didn't spend hard earned money on tickets this year. I'll be watching from home--cheering and hoping for the player's sake.

We have the players, we have the talent, unfortunately, we don't have the talent in leadership on offense to match the fantastic defense. I HOPE I have to eat my words. But I'm afraid I'm going to be very hungry.

The offensive line was not the problem at Virginia. The crazy tempo, the lack of time to think about what was going on during a play. What I would give to have LaVell back at the helm...calm, collected, no gimmicks, no shenanigans--just football. Tough players, tough play, tough coaches. Get in a players face when he misses a catch, misses a tackle, no more pat on the backside, "oh, you tried."

No Bronco blabbing "Best in the Nation". News Bronco, we are not close to the best anywhere!

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 9:14 p.m.

Most glaring weakness versus Virginia was Offensive Line.

2nd most glaring weakness was Special Teams.

Fix those and BYU has a chance versus Texas.

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 9:13 p.m.

Yikes, you spend all spring and summer evaluating guys and getting them into their best positions on the line and then in the 2nd week of the season, you switch it all up. I'm not sure that's the way to do it.

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    Sept. 3, 2013 9:08 p.m.

Here is what Anae should do on top of the moves:
    1) Move himself up to the booth.
    2) Make smarter play calls.

Let's beat Texas!