Sports

High school sports: What it really costs to play high school football

Comments

• thas Taylorsville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2015 5:25 p.m.

I think a lot of you are missing the point of this article. Yes, it's nice to teach kids the value of hard work and paying your own way and all that--I payed my way all through my football years by fundraising and part-time jobs. However, a lot of kids on the team I coach now doesn't have that luxury. Many of them already have jobs to help the family meet expenses. Sure there is fundraising, but the community we live in can only afford to buy so much cookie dough and the neighborhood businesses can only do so much. For those reasons, we try to keep the cost down... but its hard to compete. There is a disparity, you can decide if it's 'fair' or not. Someone should do an analysis: compare MaxPrep rankings to percentage of students on fee waiver and see if there is correlation.

• Me, Myself and I The Promised Land, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 12:30 p.m.

Second fallacy, "if a kid can't afford to pay he won't get a chance to play." One parent said even if they're talented this was true. Most coaches go out of their way to provide a way for students talented or not to participate if they want to. It may take some extra effort on the students part but no coach in their right mind is going to tell a kid they can't play because they can't afford it. I know coaches who hire kids to do the most trivial jobs for them and pay them out of their own pocket so they can work off their optional fees. I say optional fees because most kids in that situation will be on fee waivers as far as the mandatory fees go. Still even if the waivers don't cover all the mandatory fees most coaches will provide a way for all who wish to, to participate. No high school coach in this state is in it for the money. If they broke it down most would make $1/hr or less for what they get paid, a lot are unpaid volunteers.

• Me, Myself and I The Promised Land, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 11:34 a.m.

Sounds like more entitlement is wanted by some people. Parents claiming fees keep their kids from played even the most talented players might not get a chance because of fees. Most of the coaches offer ways to provide all mandatory and most optional fees for anyone who truly wants to participate. I say truly because some people just want it handed to them and not do anything in return. As a high school football player I worked mowing lawns doing whatever it took so I could pay for the camps I went to. Our head coach would drive us to and from individual camps some over 300 miles away at his own expense. Two outrageous claims from parents in this article is it costs $40k for a two sport athlete over 4 years of high school. The only way that could possibly be true is if you don't know how to say no to your kid and they have to have all the bells and whistles every season, and then some. Buying your kid new cleats and gloves and whatever else just because their friend is getting them isn't a cost associated with them simply participating.

• Nebsy Ephraim, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 10:44 a.m.

I am a high school teacher and have coached boys soccer for the last 5 years.
    I also had twin daughters participate in Drill Team for four years. Upwards of 15,000$. Money well spent in my opinion. A sacrifice? Definitely! But a sacrifice I am glad we made.
    Our education is the sum of many parts. Classrooms, teachers, administration, facilities, parents, home-life, availability of technology and YES....extra-curricular activities. With regards to my own children, I remind myself not to let school get in the way of their education.
    I don't speak Japanese or German. Why? Because we are a nation that is determined to compete. To win! Perhaps it has been to long since we experienced the price of coming in second place. Teaching our children the importance of success through competition and hard work is valuable.

• ExTBird Springville, US-UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 7:25 a.m.

Some of the dance/singing groups spend obscene amounts of money. I have two girls that are both part of the singers program, and it was $1000 EACH to send them on the NYC trip the school wanted to do. They also did a $500+ California trip, and a $200+ Idaho trip. Honestly I wish I had a boy playing football for Bingham. It would be cheaper!

At the end of the day I think it is important to remember that your kid is not entitled to play football. School is about the school work, not the extra curricular activities. The school owes it to your kid to make sure he gets the best they can offer academically, but no one owes your kid a free ride onto a championship football team. That is something that is earned through hard work, and yes even money.

If parents really can't afford all the fees then maybe put some responsibility on your student (for once). A summer job could pay for anything they wanted to do during the school year. Make them meet you half way on stuff. That can only be good for them in the long run.

• Rural sport fan DUCHESNE, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 9:24 p.m.

Some of you still don't get it.

Some schools build a stadium with turf, which Football, Boys and Girls Soccer, and Track and Field use, as well as several other groups, in most places. But considering the 50-80 million the big schools cost, that extra 3-5 million isn't that big of a deal, relatively speaking. Especially when it reduces costs for upkeep, grounds keeping, painting, and all the other things the grass fields demand.

Then, the schools pay for 6-10 coaches, and gives a chunk of money to the program...I know rural schools that get a $500 budget. They also get the participation fees. 100 kids would be 3500-6500..not even enough to buy them all jerseys, much less helmets and pads.

So you that are crying about schools spending too much...it isn't true. The kids that play are paying their way.

I still find it amazing that no one is complaining about Drill Team costs. 3-6 outfits, and they cost $800? Really?

• Tenn12 Orem, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 2:14 p.m.

Eagle,
    Thank you for some common sense. Most people and obviously Amy Donaldson are clueless about all the costs of pads, equipment, and all the hidden costs. Most people are also clueless about all the money the football programs bring in to the school. I too would have appreciated a more professional educated article.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 8:26 a.m.

I love all the people defending these "winning schools" and their exorbidant fees. Imagine if you had to pay a fee to take a math class. Then people would be crying foul.

Either make the program affordable to ALL families in the district or eliminate it.

The benefit of having no football program: less expense to families, fewer kids with concussions, fewer school bullies.

• ExTBird Springville, US-UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 8:24 a.m.

Sometimes you have to pay to play. Welcome to real life. I know the costs can be a hardship on a lot of families, but the alternative is not to just stop doing it to make life easier for them. Sports cost money, coaches need paid, equipment needs replaced, trips need paid for etc. Football programs don't run on hopes and dreams. The cost shouldn't be passed on to the schools either. Only a few programs in the state could afford to take all the cost on themselves.

The biggest concern is transparency. So long as they show exactly what the money is being used for then there is no problem. Let the parents decide if that %700 is worth it or not. If they don't want to pay that kind of money then don't sign your kid up for football. Also, a little planning for the future goes a long way. If your junior high player is interested in football then plan ahead for that. Don't just show up day 1 of practice looking for a hand out.

• mammalou Somewhere in the USA, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 7:34 a.m.

Rational -- I will repeat myself because you apparently missed it "nothing is free, you have to work for what you want, and life isn't fair." I think I also mentioned that these same children paid for their college on their own and were awarded scholarships in part because of their hardwork. True they did no work to support our family because that was MY job. Many kids go on to be successful because of or in spite of their life circumstances including finding ways to fund their own paths. I would also like to mention that our sports programs were anything but successful - quite the contrary, so the lessons they learned weren't of entitlement but of working hard for something because it gave persoanl satisfaction. As for acticities being out of control, maybe you should look at scholarship, grad school or work applications, all of which ask about extracurricular activities. Most programs want to see applicants with both academic and extracurricular accolades. It means they can work hard at more than one thing!

• common twit Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 7:22 a.m.

There are many great comments here. I agree with everyone's point of view. I lean more heavily to the academic side, however. The report cards for high schools came out and 6 of the top 10 schools do not even have a football program. 4 of the top 10 do not even have any sports at all. Something to think about anyway.
    As for money parents spend on athletics, that is a drop in the bucket compared to what the school district itself spends on athletics. Take a regular football season and the hidden costs. The stadium, ticket takers, travel, equipment, uniforms, lawn care, custodians, officials, coaches (some have 8 on the sidelines), insurance, cheerleaders, etc... Those that say football helps all the other programs with finances is likely untrue. If the school district did not have to fund football, there would be plenty of money left over to fund the other sports. When you talk true dollar amounts, football does not make sense financially. But, if that is your priority, just understand it is not fiscally fit.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 11:08 p.m.

It's all getting out of hand!!!

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 11:04 p.m.

All of you who are so proud your kids "work and pay for athletics," or suggest that as the means: What about the kids who work so they can pay for school clothes, or to support their families? Pay for their fees for them? What does that teach?

I played high school and college sports. It has gotten way out of hand. Everything the "successful" programs are doing, as mentioned in this article, would be illegal by NCAA rules if they were colleges. Utah IS elitist. Extracurricular activities ARE out of control. Get an education. Get a scholarship. Get a job.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Sept. 3, 2013 9:47 p.m.

re. Oatmeal, benjoginko, Eliyahu, terra nova: You are right on target. It's time we put public school money on education, not on a group of elite jocks. The research shows that extracurricular activities are important but of the different activities (debate, drama, music, student government, publications, clubs and athletics) the poorest predictor of long term success for young men is high school athletics. When was the last time the Deseret News published the results of a debate meet? Perhaps it is time to give more attention to brains instead of brawn.

• benjoginko Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 8:21 p.m.

I'm in favor of getting rid of all High School sports and moving to a club system like most other countries do. The amount of money that get's spent on facilities, athletics, travel, & coaches is sickening.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 7:23 p.m.

Ive had kids play at Alta and Jordan and while Alta has higher fees they also provided plenty of opportunity for the kids to do fundraising and we never had to pay anything out of pocket except for the district fees. Every other cost was covered with the fundraising the kids did.
    Alta was a great experience for my kids, they learned how to work for what they wanted and were able to participate on a great team with great coaching. It's too bad Amy didn't mention any of the positives that these experiences offer our kids, as opposed to complaining about something she doesn't understand very well.
    Football fee's are nothing compared to cheerleading and club soccer where you are spending in the thousands every year.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 7:20 p.m.

Overpaid coaches? Not in Utah. I think a football coach depending on district might get 2.5 to 4K. Some even less. I would say a good football coach like David Peck puts in 1000 hours a year minimum. You do the math...

• red rocks Saint George, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 6:59 p.m.

I am going to sound very arrogant and I apologize if you are offended. It takes a lot of money and time and hard work to build a successful program. Just as it takes a lot of time, hard work and money to build a successful business.

You either have to raise taxes to pay for everything or you need to raise the money elsewhere to pay for it. It is very simple. If we want programs we have to pay for them.

Do you Think that American Forks great band has been built on no work and no funds. What does it cost to buy those uniforms, the trailers/trucks used to haul the equipment and to pay for the travel? People have worked hard with fund raising and other activities to pay for this. There are great thespian programs in some schools and not others because some one or groups of people spent a lot of time and or money making it that way.

Maybe we should get a little more involved in fundraising to help offset the costs an quit complaining.

• terra nova Park City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 5:55 p.m.

The incredible money and time we put into HS sports is unfortunate. So few go on to professional careers in any kind of sport. The money is far better spent building science and math programs. Something that really will make a difference in the lives of the students and the nation.

• Kaotic USA, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 5:45 p.m.

I paid for my son's athletic fees during his first two years of high school. His mindset was athletics came first, then the classroom and I was disappointed in his grades. I have changed the conditions a bit for his last two years. He needs to work and pay for the athletic fees himself and I will pay for anything pertaining to academics. Not only will he develop a work ethic but he will see things from my perspective. If he doesn't have any money he just doesn't play.

• Eliyahu Pleasant Grove, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 2:12 p.m.

I've often wondered how the game of football managed to become so important to schools that districts and parents will push for million-dollar stadiums and overpaid coaches for what is essentially a children's game and yet none of them would dream of giving that much importance to math, science, English and technology classes that will actually provide the means for gainful employment to the average student. Sports programs don't teach athletic skills to kids who don't already have them. Rather, they focus on an elite group and teach them that they're better than the rest of the students and deserving of a lot of attention. Many of you know the names of the top athletes from your local schools. How many of you can name the top math, chemistry, biology or physics students from the same schools? Who knows the best writers and historians in those schools? These are the people who will be making a difference in our society years from now; not the top jocks.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 3, 2013 12:59 p.m.

Wow. When I clicked on this article, I expected to see much bigger numbers than I'm seeing. $700? $800? Even $900? All I can say is football is cheap.

Club soccer at a club like Sparta is around $1500/year once you add in uniforms, tournaments, and travel. There are kids as young as 10 whose parents are paying that much.

Want to be a ski racer at for Park City's ski team? Once you add it all up it's around $10,000 a year - more if your kid is one of the elites.

After reading this article I'm thinking about pulling my kids out of soccer and skiing and putting them into high school football so I can save a bunch of money!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 3, 2013 11:07 a.m.

A lot cheaper here in Washington. My son plays Freshman football and basketball, $40 for a GSL card which covers basketball and football. $180 for summer football camp, which he couldn't attend because it conflicts with summer hoops. $60 for summer basketball ball tournaments. So roughly $280 for football and basketball. Compared to AAU basketball $800 (minimum), and little league/Grid Kids football $210 + pants $40); High school sports are a deal here in Spokane $280 < $1,050

• afi1 Saint George, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 10:58 a.m.

Coaches make very little money. We have to remember most coaches make like 2 dollars an hour. The school fees barely cover that. They should make an article however about how much it costs to be a starter. That's another story.

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 10:42 a.m.

Two things I think people really don't seem to understand.

(1) Things cost a lot of money and the prices seen in the article are just pennies on the dollar of the actual costs.
    (2) You get a lot of value for Bingham's $700/yr. I think you need to look at both the number and the value. Obviously the number could be relatively high, but it is a lot of bang for your buck. If your kids aren't doing sports changes are you will still spend money on them to do something. Even if it is just sitting at home watching TV and eating Cheetos.

I would like to see this guy's justification $40,000 dollar estimate for expenses. This is a ridiculous number. If it were that expensive very few people would be playing hs sports.

• HeberFYFA HEBER CITY, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 10:30 a.m.

Oatmeal,

Participation in virtually ANY school sponsored extracurricular activity has great benefits to the educational experience of a student. You can find hundreds, perhaps thousands of studies that show these benefits. Here are a couple of comments from several.

"students achieved much higher rates of retention and graduation, maintained better GPAs, and had higher good standing rates when they engaged in any of the activities within the scope of this study" (National Survey of Student Engagement [NSSE] 2007 & 2008) “adolescents who participated in extracurricular activities reported higher grades, more positive attitudes toward school, and higher academic aspirations” (Darling, Caldwell, & Smith, 2005, para. 1)

I do agree that we need to be constantly vigilant with our schools and school boards so that cost does not become a prohibiting factor. But I certainly do not believe that getting rid of these school activities from the public school system is in the best interest of the student. The NFHS philosophy of STUDENT FIRST, ATHLETE SECOND can and should be maintained in the public schools. Many students would not maintain the academic standards needed to play without supervision of educators and coaches.

• hamrdown OREM, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 10:21 a.m.

I have 5 sons, 3 have chosen to play football and one more coming that wants to play (the 5th did not). Because of our finances, my children have been taught that if they want to play, they have to pay. It is not because I don't want to pay, it is simply because I cannot afford it. So, each of my boys have learned the value of hard work - mowing lawns, getting jobs, etc. They have learned that if they put in a solid effort, they will see a reward for that effort.

I know what I am teaching them now will help them as husbands and fathers. Good work ethic is an extremely high priority in our home and my boys are learning the same thing my father taught me - if there is something good that is worth working for, then put in the effort to work for it. Most times, you feel better after putting in all the hard work than you do when you get the "reward".

• podunk utah DRAPER, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 10:19 a.m.

be thankful your kid is in football and not club soccer or for the ladies, cheerleading... way more money out the door in these two sports. I praised the lord when one of mine picked football over soccer!

• mammalou Somewhere in the USA, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 9:41 a.m.

I have three children that all participated in various athletics/extra curricular programs during their years in high school. Yes the fees were high, however, our children were expected to work during the summer or after school to pay for their own choices of what they participated in, not because we couldn't afford the fees, but because it should be their responsiblility. I felt that high school was a stepping stone to life. Just like in life, if you want something, you have to go after it. That means devouting the time for practice and if need be, the time working to pay for the cost associated. Most of the best lessons our children learned came from sports. Nothing is free, you have to work for what you want, and life isn't fair. Sounds harsh but that is the real world. They also paid their own way through college, with a couple scholarships do to their hard work, and are great productive members of society that realize life doesn't offer "fee waivers".

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Sept. 3, 2013 9:41 a.m.

Chump change compared to the money soccer moms spend.
    And usually it's for the moms life style.

• utsportfan Tremonton, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 9:19 a.m.

Being a former coach it is impossible to successfully operate solely on the budget given to a coach at the beginning of the school year. I barely had enough money to buy new basketballs and other necessary equipment. There needs to be funding from other avenues whether it be a booster club or fees. It my situation our booster club did the funding but that required parents to go and ask local businesses for a sponsorship. Some parents would rather pay a fee than "work" for the booster club. Some fees are outrageous, but coaches and schools can have the student-athletes run youth summer camps, sell t-shirts and find other ways to raise money that required work from the players and not just a simple giving of money.

Parents make your kids work for the money, save it in the bank and pay for their own fees. If they really feel like they have to pay to play, then make them earn it. I know many coaches around the state and know they are high character individuals and will not discourage a kid from playing because he did not pay! Go find something else to complain about!!!

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 9:14 a.m.

We have lost sight of the fact that taxpayers establish an educational system for EDUCATION. Solution? Make athletics community-based. Pull them away from public education.

Athletics has become the tail that wags the dog. Many high schools need large stadiums with artificial turf. Huge weight rooms, hiring coaches a higher priority than hiring academic teachers, student-athletes missing class time to travel, etc. Most high school administrators are ex-coaches. They tend to see academic classes as a place to store students when they are not on the field.

And how many athletic scholarships are awarded to Utah students? Very few, and the sacrifice on the part of the students, parents and the taxpayers is enormous. Wouldn't our dollars best be spent on academic/vocational programs?

• JD-Dad RIVERTON, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 9:09 a.m.

Football parents have it easy. Having a daughter on the sideline cheering has already run $1200 since May. This doesn't include $10 weekly tumbling lessons. Trips to out of state competitions ($5000). And then there is the allstar teams that run $200 - $300 per month excluding about $500 in uniforms and choreography. But when it is all said and done, watching her compete at a SPORT she loves is worth it.

• Concerned1 South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 8:49 a.m.

I'm finding it is becoming extremely expensive to have your children participate in many of the activities that are important to them. I have relative that was a cheer leader in a local high school and it cost $2,800, $800 just for the uniform. She is no longer a cheer leader because her parents just couldn't afford it.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 8:25 a.m.

The article raises some questions about who is in charge, and some needed disclosure of the costs of athletic programs. Our society sometimes chooses to be ignorant of costs of "services" or programs we like.

We are in a period of stagnant family income and over the top expenses for school activities, not just athletics but music, drama, etc., need to be reviewed and decisions made on the necessity of them as they relate to the program.

Communication between the school administration, board and the students and parents is key. I do not have a silver bullet to suggest as a cure but I do think that some adult supervision is required when boards and administrations let athletic and other programs grow beyond reasonable bounds.

I am in favor of high school athletics, and other programs such as music and drama. They meet a lot of needs of students for growth and self expression, and recognition. I just think that attention to the costs involved cannot be ignored or brushed off.

Parents need to be more involved and more discussion and disclosure of budgets needs to take place earlier on in the cycle. to avoid surprises.

• TDow Heber City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 8:24 a.m.

In our capitalistic society work = money. For a kid to compete in high school sports s/he must work and the family must work. That means, investing time and money far in excess of the dollar amounts reported in the article. The article does not capture the actual amount of resources (money/time) invested by students and families to participate in high school sports.... individual camps, individual training tools and coaches (e.g. Nike Sparq, personal trainers) that are typically invested by the students and families. The true cost of high school athletics are paid by the students and families outside of the school. The school system only subsidizes the costs not borne by the students/families. But why? from the perspective of the high school, ask a high school administrator the value of a successful football team for the school's "Spirit". Schools work better when students are a part of and identify with winning sports programs. From the perspective of a parent, many days of the year, my student works more diligently and has learned more from playing high school sports than they did that day in the class room about work = money.

• Rural sport fan DUCHESNE, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 7:49 a.m.

No one is talking about the other side of this coin...why are the camps and colleges charging HS football teams so much?

Maybe at the bigger schools coaches get some of that money, but at the smaller schools, nearly every penny goes to the team for gear, video equipment, or a blocking dummy or two; and coaches are lucky to get a new team shirt out of the deal. The teams I know of use fundraisers, the kids can raise every penny they need for uniforms and extra gear by selling team shirts, or working a booth at the county fair. And their coaches don't get a penny for the summer camps, weight lifting time, or anything else.

One more thing...If you are paying $40K for 8 seasons of sports, you are crazy. $5000 for one season? Come on now, that's just a bit much, don't you think?

• The Big One Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 7:43 a.m.

Murray didn't respond? well that is because Murray hasn't had a team in years. However the 3 million spent on the field that ain't ready speaks volumes about the administration of the school and district.

• erock mapleton, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 1:18 a.m.

What it sounds like to me is that parents are not teaching their kids about working for what they want and expecting everything from their parents. I have raised 2 kids through high school playing basketball, football and soccer and both were in club level teams. They worked through the summer to pay for their fees....and trust me they were in the $1,000 of dollars for each sport and they paid for them. Now they are paying off as they have full ride scholarships for their hard work they put in earlier in their life. I hear parents complain all the time about costs then I see their kids doing jack...parents get your kids to work for something they want...you all know the saying " have skins in the game" trust me if the kids work for it, it will pay off in the end. When I was in high school I coveted an A 2000 baseball glove... I bought it with my own money for $105....with inflation costs now it would be around $250...Parents start teaching your kids how to work for what they want or need.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 10:48 p.m.

JSB:

Give me a break. There isn't a football program in Utah that cuts any player regardless of size and ability. Some sports do have cuts but plenty of sports take everyone that wants to compete such as x-country, track, wrestling, swimming, and football. The idea that every sports team cuts and is exclusionary is totally false. I do agree that I would love to see schools ALSO do Intramural athletics, nothing wrong with that because some sports do have to do cuts. But even with the ones that do, there are others that don't, no excuse not to compete.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 10:40 p.m.

Would these parents that are complaining also complain when their son's and daughter's coaches are not winning games? Can any administrator guarantee that no coach has been ever fired because they didn't win games?

Take Coach Peck, are there any parents complaining about his program? Any complaints about the kind of coaching he brings his players? Any complaints about kind of experiences he gives his players such as a trip to Texas to play national level talent?

Bottom line, these parents have no clue about the real costs of athletics and football. I love Amy Donaldson's work but am disappointed a bit in the research here. Do parents have any clue about the cost of a helmet? And that a certain percentage, maybe half, HAVE to be refinished every year by law. How about the cost for the district to insure the program? How about the costs of pads? How about the cost of athletic trainers, their equipment etc.? And Utah coaches are dirt cheap getting paid cents on the dollar? If Peck was coaching in Texas he could demand a 100K salary just for coaching.

Parents need a REALITY CHECK!

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Sept. 2, 2013 10:18 p.m.

When I was in junior high, we had an intramural program that every participant really enjoyed. It didn't cost the participants anything and it didn't cost the school anything. Then I got to high school and because I was small and my parents didn't have any political clout, I didn't get to play high school sports though I would have loved to. I found out very early that there are two classes of students in high school: the few privileged athletes and the rest of us peons who got the great experience of cheering the elite jocks on to victory. Everything about my high school experience said: "You're nobody; the athletes are the truly great ones." If a lot more students want to play football or other sports than there is room for on the team, the solution is simple: cancel inter school sports and replace it with a well organized intramural program in which anyone who wants to participate can. It would be very inexpensive and a lot more students would be able to participate with no cost to them.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 10:04 p.m.

What most of those "fees" are is money which goes to cover coaches for pennies on the dollar for the amount of time and hardwork they put into these programs. While I think some programs may take it a little over the top, its a great thing that the kids don't actually have to pay for their football equipment, otherwise you wouldn't be able to field teams. I've found that football is at times a ton cheaper than say, Lacrosse, where you have to buy everything.