BYU football: Cougars look to bounce back vs. No. 15 Texas Saturday

• UT4Big12 HOUSTON, TX
    Sept. 6, 2013 6:21 p.m.

There seems to be a lot of trash talk here from non-BYU fans and some overconfidence on the part of BYU fans. Not surprised by either.

Just a bit of information for the overconfident BYU fans....Texas is not in the habit of losing away OOC games.

In the Texas/New Mexico State game, some of the kids had stage fright playing in front of a large crowd (99k+) for the first time. They made mistakes, but were able to get it together in the second half as evidenced by the final score.

At any rate, I am looking forward to watching the game against BYU. We have respect for your team and for your school. I've heard it said before, Texas and BYU have a good relationship. I have no doubt this is true.

• jeru0455 SALEM, OR
    Sept. 6, 2013 3:50 p.m.

Spirit, honor, tradition and consistency.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 3, 2013 9:30 a.m.

Hey Ute fans!! you still haven't played Colorado yet, so Rose Bowl hopes may be a little premature

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 3, 2013 9:28 a.m.

Two words that can make Byu a LOT better this week,
    Lavell Edwards

• lixircat Indianapolis, IN
    Sept. 3, 2013 5:04 a.m.

There were a few good things that I saw on Saturday. First, our fans were awesome. We easily had 15-20% of the crowd and repeatedly drowned out the home fans.
    Second, Jamaal Williams looked pretty good.
    And third, our defense looked as good as last year. I was especially impressed with the secondary that was supposed to be weak.
    Now the bad.
    Once again we have a predicable OC. Everyone in that stadium knew what play was coming next. The whole game looked scripted. Why not look at the situation (down, yards to go, what the defense is showing) and make an assessment?
    The whole go fast/go hard thing only works if you have fast players. We don't.
    Can we please not run onto the field together from a 3-point stance?
    Lack of effort. The wide receivers ran faster onto the field than they did coming off the line.
    This being my fist time seeing KVN in person, I was shocked to see how much walking around he did. He gave up way too many times.
    The intensity all around was disappointing.

• bigirish OREM, UT
    Sept. 3, 2013 2:02 a.m.

I hate to say it but this has the potential to be a total blowout by Texas. Our defense can only do so much if our offense doesn't get going, get some blocking, get Hill more mobile to make up for lack of passing accuracy and receiver drops. We've got the talent, don't we? We need to try some other plays like options and end arounds and draw plays and stop trying to run Williams up the middle all the time. That gets predictable fast. Where's the originality and creativity that can make us dangerous? And wasn't it Ash who came in and killed our almost-win last time we played them? I wish us luck of course, but it will take more than that against these long horned guys. They know how to "stick it" to their opponents.

Go Cougs! I mean Go Fast, Go Hard Cougs! Go nuts too!

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 9:44 p.m.

@ Itrustnumber1

So you think Virginia's coaches were the only ones that had an opportunity to make adjustments? BYU could have made adjustments too, the only problems is that Bronco isn't that great of a football coach, he should be a defensive coordinator. He's a my way or the highway type of guy. Trying to run a no huddle offense with BYU's athletes is like entering a drag race behind the wheel of a toyota camry. It's a good, solid, dependable car but isn't made for that kind of a race. BYU doesn't have the athletes required for that sort of offense. On top of that, if you can't move the ball in a no huddle offense, your defense gets tired just as fast as the other teams defense, and given BYU's lack of depth (in the secondary in particular) that is a very bad thing.

• oddman ,
    Sept. 2, 2013 9:41 p.m.

This is sport, entertainment, Not life or death. The lower we fall the greater the joy when we rise. Isn't this about improving and putting the pieces together so the team will improve each week? Have to admit I enjoyed the part of the game that was broadcast and felt the disappointment when hearing the final, unbelievable, score, but fifteen minutes later I was laughing and playing with the grandkids. I look forward to the Texas game and the game following that. I support the coaches and grant them the right to make mistakes like every player. Perfection is a destination, not the journey. Go team . Now let's climb the next rung.

• RedmondCougar Redmond, WA
    Sept. 2, 2013 9:26 p.m.

After the Virginia game my sons and I wondered if a bowl game might be missed this year. It seems possible with the tough schedule. You should never lose a game when the opposition is held to about 200 yards offense.

We are most concerned about the O line.

I never played football but I know something about risk management. On the fateful third down I said "No way would I pass". Decisions void of emotion need to be made in the heat of battle. Add this to the list of games lost by optimistic calls.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 9:00 p.m.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 6:19 p.m.

Re: Undefeated

Then I guess that makes the Utes worse than mediocre.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 6:18 p.m.

Re: sheeps

I have no idea what you meant by "classic Ute fan" because it made no sense, but regardless, against a team like Virginia, honestly, I don't care about the blocked punt. I mean great, if it wouldn't have happened, BYU might have won. But win or lose, it shouldn't have had to come down to a blocked punt or an interception or whatever. If BYU had an O-line worth trash, BYU would and should have had put points up against what was honestly a very average defense in Virginia and it wouldn't have been close. But, clearly that's not the case. Instead, now I'm crossing my fingers that BYU can stay within two touchdowns of playing Texas on Saturday and that they actually get better. I'm also crossing my fingers that BYU's defense doesn't stay on the field for another 3 quarters, because if they do, more valuable starters might be lost to injury besides Uani Unga.

• Out of State Utah fan Alpharetta, GA
    Sept. 2, 2013 6:17 p.m.

@ Shabba:

"LOL at the article that says BYU is mediocre. We haven't had any great teams lately but I believe we have been to 8 consecutive bowls and have won 6 in a row. There are very very few schools that have EVER done that in their entire history. It's just that we haven't had a top 10 team for quite a while."

Well, if BYU is not a top team and not a mediocre team, what is it?

• Undefeated Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 5:44 p.m.

How many games do you have to win to go to a bowl game? Is it 6 or 7? I believe that is the definition of mediocre.

• wallyball SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 5:22 p.m.

Steven in Orem,
    I'm not a Ute fan and I think BYU's chances against Texas are slim at best. There is very little comparison between Texas and Virginia. There were zero sacks in the Virginia game against a below average 0-line. The athletes at Texas are far superior to Virginia in both speed and athleticism. You might have noticed that they are a top 20 ranked team. Also there is still a question as to whether Hoffman will be at full speed or even play. I saw nothing in last weeks game that makes me optimistic. As far as Apo goes he would be better on the track team where he doesn't have to catch anything or worry about physical contact.

• Koloss Hampton, VA
    Sept. 2, 2013 4:56 p.m.

Stevie Jarvis,
    Sure Texas got off to a rocky start but they ended up with 56 points and only gave up that first touchdown. They're not going to be as easy to stop as UVA. Hoffman should help the Cougars but only if Hill's accuracy gets better. They should also work on his option reads as well. Van Noy needs to step up. He gave up on plays a few times and missed a slew of tackles. If they fix those areas then they'll be able to keep it close.

• Koloss Hampton, VA
    Sept. 2, 2013 4:45 p.m.

I've noticed a common theme in all the columns about this game: BYU fans can't spell Virginia correctly.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 3:55 p.m.

When BYU announced their football schedule some months back, I thought they were clever to plan a bye before the Holy War. Then, as the season got closer, and the injuries piled up, I started to think they needed that extra game for player development.

Now, it seems like the less film opposing teams have on the them the better!

• EightOhOne St. George, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 3:47 p.m.

and virgina on the road is NOT texas, regardless of home or away

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2013 3:38 p.m.

Tae the loss like a man that blames the weather for the loss?

You sound like a fair weather fan.

• redthunder Ogden, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 3:38 p.m.

I only ask because I'm curious. If BYU were to fire Mendenhall who would they pick to replace him? I don't know of any good coaches that would be willing to leave their respected programs to go to Provo and try and revive a struggling BYU team.

• ClarkeinAK Anchorage, AK
    Sept. 2, 2013 3:36 p.m.

Bounce back? Is Robert Anae still OC? Enough said....

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 3:32 p.m.

@Rather B Skiing

Hasn't Utah had a different Offensive Coordinator each of the past five years?

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 3:25 p.m.

Bounce back? or Beat down? My bet is beat down!

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 3:25 p.m.

Two-thirds of the comments on here are from the anti-fan crowd that support the Utes as long as they are winning. I am sure they will tune in hoping BYU loses every single game. The trolling is pretty obvious.

After the weekends action I still feel very confident in the Cougars game this week against Texas. Texas struggled at home against NMSU for almost an entire half. They will be coming into Provo pumped up and fully expecting to hand it to the Cougars. BYU has a defense that is more than capable of getting to Ash while also stuffing the run. BYU will move the ball with higher regularity when Cody Hoffman is back on the field.

I expect the huge Texas line won't be able to keep up with the Cougars pace in the high altitude of Provo. Put them on oxygen, keep running plays fast and don't let the pace slow down. Get those boys winded and they won't be able to stop a TD pass to Hoffman or Apo.

Go Cougars!!

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Sept. 2, 2013 3:24 p.m.

san mateo, CA said:

Who else besides you is talking about consecutive bowls? Yep, BYU is mediocre. Otherwise the media outside of Provo would by hyping them up.

• sheeps Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 2:33 p.m.

RE: Cougar Claws

I think what BlueHusky meant is that weather contributed to both times when BYU gave VA the ball in scoring position. If the ball wasn't wet, it is "possible" our punter wouldn't have mishandled a snap or a ball slipping through a receivers hands. He is simply point to two critical plays that may have impacted the outcome. But go ahead and try to spin that whatever way you think. Wouldn't expect much more from a "classic Ute fan."

• sheeps Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 2:26 p.m.

Two words that could make BYU's offense a lot better on Saturday...OFFENSIVE LINE!!! BYU could sure use one!

• sheeps Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 2:24 p.m.

I think the problem is that BYU has been more focused on developing a duel-threat quarterback than an actual quarterback that can pass. They're more focused on the QB's running ability than their ability to pass. That showed big time in the VA game. I can't figure out why BYU decided to abandon a down field attack? I can't figure out why they went away from that (oh wait, it was Riley Nelson that took them down that path). I'm fine with going fast, but get rid of the read-option, duel-threat, spread offense BS. It doesn't work for BYU or the players they can recruit.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 2, 2013 1:46 p.m.

I still think "Fast and Furious" will work. You just have to show a little imagination in the play selection,....and block.

• vinnyb3 Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 1:34 p.m.

Ha ha I wish. Just like how I wish Van Noy played on offense as well. However, I recall several dropped passes in the game (not all thrown perfectly, I admit, but they were still catchable) including one that led to the interception that set up the game-winning touchdown. Hoffman rarely drops passes and makes quarterbacks look a lot better. I think we can have a little bit of optimism in the fact that our All-American candidate receiver will be back in the near future.

• Rather-b-Skiing Kennewick, WA
    Sept. 2, 2013 1:20 p.m.

Looking to bounce back. Does that mean there will be a new offensive coordinator?

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 12:50 p.m.

That's quite a sermon you preached until you got to this line...

"Normal weather and BYU probably would have easily won that game."

Only byu had bad weather to play in, I guess. It was all sunshine on Virginia's side of the ball. Classic byu fan.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 12:44 p.m.

Re: BlueHusky

I said what I did about the O-line because it's not a new problem. This has been an ongoing problem since 2011 under Mark Weber. For whatever reason, the line is just repeatedly beaten play after play, against teams like Tulsa, Virginia, and Weber freaking State last year. It's humiliating! I'm not calling for anyone to get fired or wanting to jump ship but the o-line getting their teeth kicked in every play is a serious problem and probably the biggest reason for the loss. I don't want to hear bad weather being an excuse either. Bad weather had nothing to do with why the line couldn't block. Virginia played in the bad weather too and they didn't have the problems BYU did. They struggled to move the ball at times because of the play of our defense.

In short, BYU has a lot to clean up still starting with the O-line. If the line can't block the play is over before it starts. They better get to work too, because if the tackles thought Virginia's defensive ends are fast, wait till they play Texas on Saturday.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 12:43 p.m.

san mateo, CA

"It will all come down to the question of whether BYU can score a couple of touchdowns. That's all it will take to beat a team like Texas. Our defense is just like last year. It's great and you couldn't really ask for much more...if we can improve the offensive scheme and Taysom can improve and gain some confidence it will be a great year."

Texas doesn't care haw many 3rd tier bowl games byu has been to. All Hill has to do over the next five days is double his production and byu will show Texas (which has a legitimate defense) who's boss.

Hope springs eternal in the world in which byu lives. LOL!!

God cougs...go byu fans!!

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Sept. 2, 2013 12:36 p.m.

@shabba- with half of all major conferences bowl eligible every year many teams go to that many bowl games in a row. Heck Nebraska went to 33 in a row. As to the wins, how many of the six were against a BCS opponent.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 11:59 a.m.

Another game like Virgina and BYU players will be wishing they had the anonymity of Spirit, Tradition, and Honor on their jerseys.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 2, 2013 11:51 a.m.

Boo hoo woe is me. Fire Bronco. Fire Anae. Flunk the O-line out. I'm quitting. Are you guys 12 years old? You sound like it.

Only fools did not expect a learning experience this year. New offense. New coaches. New people, especially O-line. Horrible weather.

Are K-Staters talking about firing Snyder after getting beaten by North Dakota State? I don't hear anyone calling for Riley's head at Oregon State.

Sark took three years to move the Huskies out of the doldrums. BYU is far better off than UW was when Sark took over. Normal weather and BYU probably would have easily won that game. Quit crying and take the loss like a man. Like a coach. But I'd love to see you quitters start rooting for Utah. They deserve you guys.

I hope Texas and Utah players are reading and believing the doomsday drivel on this board.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 11:30 a.m.

More injuries. Two more starters, this time. Some injuries are expected in football, but there's something amiss with BYU's physical regime. This goes deeper than just normal practice or game action.

• Victor Layton, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 11:22 a.m.

If they do not mix it up on the o-line nothing will change all year. Like early last year, the DTs blew up the middle like no one was even there and our starting tackles got schooled on just about every play. Time to make some changes and find out who the game time players really are. Embarrassing is the only word that comes to mind when thinking of BYU's starting o-line.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 11:19 a.m.

Here's an idea, make the offensive line RUN for refusing to block. Make them do gassers for every sack they give up, and have them run 40s for every poor block. Drill it into their BRAINS that if they aren't going to man up and hit someone in the mouth, they will get BENCHED. I don't care if they are 350 pounds or 250 pounds, the line needs good leverage and pad level to block well. The best offensive lines in college football, whether it is Alabama, Oregon, Wisconsin, or whoever, don't use size as an excuse. Didn't these guys work hard in the weight room in the off season? Do they care that they got embarrassed by an average Virginia team on Saturday?

Here's a stat for you if you are a BYU O-lineman

BYU's D-line consists of Eathyn Manumaleuna (305) Bronson Kaufusi (282) and Remington Peck (205). That's a combined weight of 3 guys at 279 pounds each. The BYU O-line has 5 guys averaging about 300 pounds each. The BYU D-line wins the line of scrimmage battle every game. The BYU O-line has NO EXCUSE for their poor play. Clean it up.

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    Sept. 2, 2013 11:08 a.m.

Re: vinnyb3
    "Two words that could make this offense a lot better on Saturday: Cody Hoffman."

Can he pass?

• Shabba san mateo, CA
    Sept. 2, 2013 11:05 a.m.

If we can improve the offensive scheme and Taysom can improve and gain some confidence it will be a great year.

• No Conference Will Take Us SEATTLE, WA
    Sept. 2, 2013 10:40 a.m.

The time has arrived. Playing an independent schedule is not working.
    Football at the school should be dissolved. Better off to focus on intramural sports like flag football. BYU could play BYU-Idaho, New Mexico State, Idaho State, BYU-Hawaii.....At least we could rebuild our brand and legacy that way.

• hockiechick Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 2, 2013 10:30 a.m.

Why do I get the feeling that "look to bounce back" will be a common theme for BYU football headlines this season?

• vinnyb3 Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 10:20 a.m.

Two words that could make this offense a lot better on Saturday: Cody Hoffman.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 10:15 a.m.

I think there are a few Cougar fans that need to be talked off the ledge. I'm as frustrated and disappointed as anyone, but sheesh people. You're all packing it in after game one. I agree we are in for some disappointment and mistakes and poor play at times, but one game does not a season make (remember that mantra we've been preaching to ute fans? How about follow it). BYU is going to struggle offensively this season, I agree with that, but folks, we have a great defense, and good players that will keep us in games and give us opportunities to win. I believe the offense will improve, steadily as the season progresses. How much they improve remains to be seen, but our defense will keep us in games until the offense pulls it's weight. In the end it's just a game, not life. Stop calling for firings of coaches with a 72% winning percentage and OCs who have had some success in the past. Try and have a little more patience & perspective. Anae and the boys will put it together, it's a work in progress. Chin up guys!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2013 9:33 a.m.

Texas is going to destroy the hapless Cougs even with their vaunted "up tempo" offense. Its going to be ugly. and Byu will never be a football team anyone is scared of while Bronco Mendanhall is at the helm. He's a D coordinator playing at head coach, time to make a change Holmoe.

• Y Grad Pumping Gas Beaver, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 9:13 a.m.

Lets do the math here, you wrote "Just when the VA's defense was starting to look a little sluggish because of the new up tempo BYU offense, there was a two hour game delay because of the weather. Think about that...two hours for Virgina to get rested and adjust their defense, leaving BYU with only three quarters to wear Virgina down"

Why cant BYU wear VA down in the second quarter, even if its after a rain delay, or even the third quarter or fourth.
    Weak Sauce excuse.
    Go Fast, Go Hard, Nitro, Banana Rama Offense is a joke, its almost as ludicrous as having two QB's start a season on offense.

Remember it rained on VA also.

• sg newhall, CA
    Sept. 2, 2013 9:06 a.m.

The anemic offense will do no better against Texas. Anae should never have been brought back. The hurry offense is offensive to watch. Hill isn't near the calibre QB of QBs past. This team is mediocre and Texas will eat them for lunch. For all the hoopla of Bronco's tactics, he makes for a better defensive coordinator than a head coach. This will be his final year here if this team doesn't have a winning season. I thought the last game was as boring and predictable as any offensive scheme. Anae is past his effectiveness as an offensive coordinator. Texas will win big. BYU offensive will be lucky to score 14 points. Be ready for a 0-2 start.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Sept. 2, 2013 8:46 a.m.

Boy did my expectations take a dive. The hurry up offense did nothing except cause BYU to run more bad offensive plays. What happened to all the running over people BYU was going to do? Only the second to last series was good. What happened to the passing game? I cringed every time Taysom dropped back. What happened to the fear the "go fast" offense was going to offer?

Oh my. At least the Utes brought it home! I'm going to have to decide after the game against Texas if I'm going to watch the taped game. And I was so excited for a great year. Am I alone?

• ItrustNo1 La Grange, TN
    Sept. 2, 2013 8:19 a.m.

BYU's football game at Virgina last Saturday was a tuff way to introduce a new offense, Quarterback and new offensive line. Just when the Virgina defense was starting to look a little sluggish because of the new up tempo BYU offense, there was a two hour game delay because of the weather. Think about that...two hours for Virgina to get rested and adjust their defense, leaving BYU with only three quarters to wear Virgina down in. BYU on the other hand had Virgina's offense stopped cold. All of the Virgina points except for their first score were the result of errors made on the BYU offensive side of the ball. I believe in BYU's new offense, and I think after their offensive line starts jelling and Hill gets a little more comfortable under center, they will be just fine. Unfortunately Texas is coming to town Saturday and BYU better HURRY! I sincerely believe we will see a brand new BYU Saturday, and Texas better be ready for a really ticked off BYU team. Last weeks game for Texas (New Mexico State at home) is not BYU at Provo. Big Difference.

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    Sept. 2, 2013 7:53 a.m.

All of these close losses the past two seasons indicate poor game coaching. Good coaches find a way to win close games - mediocre coaches find a way to lose them. While I think that Bronco gets great effort out of his players the in-game decision making is atrocious. Somehow that has to change.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 7:19 a.m.

Go fast, go hard philosophy should be but one method of offensive attack, a tool in the toolbox, not an absolute do or die...need to change that up as dictated by conditions, opposing teams strengths/weaknesses, etc. I see a need to be willing to Coach changes as needed to win during the game, not just stick with a failing plan throughout...the age and maturity of BYU's players should allow them to be more versatile. Go fast/Go hard is a football method of attack, not a Gospel Principle, there is a difference.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 2, 2013 7:18 a.m.

I wonder who will mess up this week, Spirit, Honor, Tradition or all the above?

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 7:12 a.m.

"Harrison took and passed a BYU Independent Study course, but BYU officials did not allow the credit to count because the school only gives permission for its own student-athletes to enroll in its online classes. However, the NCAA ruled in Texas’ favor, making Harrison eligible."

When did the NCAA make this ruling and why is the news a small part of a separate story?

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 7:09 a.m.

execution on offense, defense and special will have to improve for BYU to stay in the game with Texas. And we can't have any poor decisions coming out of the coaches booth.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Sept. 2, 2013 6:34 a.m.

Maybe after this last game at VA, the coaches can figure out who on the offensive line can block. You can have a great QB and RBs but if you don't have a line, you are toast. The O-line is the most under-rated part of football. You must have an O-line that can make holes for the RBs and protect the QB. Keep the RB back there if you need help blocking.

Also, the coaches need to adjust during the game and use those plays that seem to work. I agree with Anae that his call of the pass play was completely bone-headed.

So, Maybe Texas will be overconfident this next game and we can pull our stuff together? C'mon Cougars.

• Y Grad Pumping Gas Beaver, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 2:09 a.m.

The Cougs need to bounce back to a Huddle Offense, Go Fast, Go Hard, Nitro, Banana Rama Offense requires a certain personnel. Anae isn't and he doesn't have it. Good things happen in a huddle.

Bronco needs to stop the Slogans, T-shirts, Charades and the Pomp and Circumstance and roll up his sleeves to bounce back and play good old fashion Football.

Here's an idea; a plain blue and white T-shirt, spotless from any advertising. A representation of a clean bounce back start.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 12:55 a.m.

Taken from a national sports publication about college football's fans:

7. BYU: It's one thing to be a fan of a mediocre team, but if that's your lot in life, don't you at least want to be a fan of an unpredictable mediocre team? The Cougars pretty much picked up where they left off last year, losing 19-16 at Virginia, the only difference being that they are running their offense faster. But faster doesn't mean better when it's BYU. Think of it this way. Would you rather watch Taysom Hill complete 13 of 40 passes the way he did against Virginia, or six of 20? I thought so.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 11:57 p.m.

Leaving blame on the offense is fine, but it doesn't stop there. A blocked punt and an illegal block on a vital kick return that cost 40 yards (or so), and penalties (false starts, geez) added to the mess.