Sports

Dick Harmon: Robert Anae takes blame for Taysom Hill pick that gave Virginia win over BYU

Comments

• TripleCrown Santa Ana, CA
    Sept. 7, 2013 7:55 a.m.

The intended target was wide open.It was not a bad play. Having too many players sprinting to get down field on a punt and not enough blocking to prevent a blocked punt, not THAT is a coaching decision.

• DP742 American Fork, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 12:25 p.m.

I'm not making excuses, because we should have made the plays (or the play calls) necessary to win. But to those "fair-weather" fans who are bailing on the team, remember three things. No Hoffman (anybody who says we didn't miss one of the best receivers in the country is flat out wrong. We needed his sure hands). Two hour delay right when BYU's offense was starting to get going. And awful, awful weather that took us away from playing our game. Excuses? No. Realities? Yes. I'm not saying we will beat Texas or go undefeated the rest of the way, but don't give up on the team after one game!

• dnay Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 1:19 a.m.

Is it me or is there an over abundance of Ute fans on here. It seems to confirm the fact that they still act like the little brother in the state. As a Cougar fan I haven't read one Ute article in 3 years, because I have NO interest in that team. But I guess these guys do have an interest in the Cougars. Little brother has to find our what big brother is doing. Oh and Chris B. your comment if BYU can't beat Virginia who can they beat, I seem to remember not long ago Utah losing to one of the worst teams in the country at home, Colorado is horrible and you've struggled with them for 2 years now, so don't get on a high horse.

This game however blew this season for BYU, our defense is good enough to beat Texas but that pittiful offense won't sniff the end zone. If Taysom can't comlete a freaking pass take him out! He needs to control how hard he throws and just throw it where it needs to go. Anae made a stupid call and it's getting tiresome to watch!

• 72coug12 casper, WY
    Sept. 3, 2013 10:03 p.m.

Anae took the blame. Why shouldn't he? THat was the stupidest call ever. But for Anae, BYU is 1-0 even though they played terribly. Fire Anae. Now! And quite frankly, Bronco, if you can't find an offense its okay if you follow him.
    What an embarrassment.
    Yes Bronco the offensive line was horrendous. But to say you were please with Hill's play is ludicrous. 13-40. The few he did complete were behind the line of scrimmage. And as bad ad the receivers were they actually bailed him out 3-4 times. Change quarterbacks. Change offensive line. Change head coach.

• bfh529 Orem, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 8:09 p.m.

The call was fine. The pass was there, the catch should have been made. The failure of the play wasn't Anae's fault, it wasn't Hill's fault, it was Williams' fault -- a perfectly catchable ball. If the catch is made, we likely win the game. The probability of an interception being made on a conservative pass made like that is about as low as a fumble being caused on a run. A slippery ball is not as easy to hang on to. Had Williams been given the ball on a run up the middle, who's to say he wouldn't have fumbled? Anae, Harmon, and anybody else who says it was a dumb call are wrong to do so.

I've seen too many games go awry because of over-conservative play calling. The BYU-Utah game in 2010 comes to mind: we're moving the ball just fine all the way down the field and suddenly become conservative since all we need is a field goal -- no gimme at 40+ yards.

As somebody said, the game isn't lost on one play. The 13 of 40 passing was a primary reason.

• ClarkeinAK Anchorage, AK
    Sept. 2, 2013 3:33 p.m.

Hard to believe I'm done after just one game, but I am. ESPN and their SEC bias has ruined the college football experience and my last vestige of hope, an upstart independent, has gone down in flames after one game. I will now spend my Saturdays mowing the lawn, accompanying my wife shopping, or preparing dinner over watching this team. Robert Anae still calls the same stupid plays he did last time he was here...he now just does it faster and harder.

• MurrayMike Murray, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 2:47 p.m.

Please don't re-hire him a 3rd time Bronco...

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 2:37 p.m.

That's nice of Anae to take all that blame but if he had called a running play and it got stuffed (like a lot of our running plays did that game) then people would've criticized him for being too safe and predictable or conservative.

It was a safe pass to the RB who let the ball go through his arms. Maybe we shouldn't have been passing 40 times in a game with that much wind and rain and Taysom looking like a slightly faster more athletic version of Riley Nelson, but with the OL not being able to punch their way out of a paper bag, what else could Anae do?

There were way too many errors on the field for Anae to take the blame. We let them block a punt (giving them a short field and a TD), we had a bad snap into the end zone giving them 2 points (very nearly a TD), and the interception went through the arms of Williams (not Anae's fault) and into the arms of the defender.

I guess the biggest mistake was in hoping Taysom would be more like Max Hall and less like Riley.

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Sept. 2, 2013 1:24 p.m.

I guess I am the only one that thinks it was the right call it just did not work!!! Williams is a great pass catching RB, he was open and a completion would have given the Cougs a first down!!! There is no such thing as a "safe" play in football! You can play the Monday morning what if game all you want to! I think we will see a much different BYU team on Sat. at home against Texas!!!

Go Cougs!!!

• dww722 North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 11:41 a.m.

Gary Crowton: "I wanted to win by more" Ahead with seconds left but a turnover loses BYU the game.

Bronco Mendenhall: "I wanted to win the game" Going for 2 instead of kicking the extra point to tie and let the defense win it in overtime. BYU loses game aginst Boise St.

Brandon Doman: "Miscommunication" Taysom Hill runs a meaningless play at the end of the Utah St game. BYU wins but loses Hill to a season ending knee injury forcing Cougar Nation to endure 8 more games of Riley Nelson ineptitude.

Robert Anae: "I thought we could get the first down" Ahead by 4 with under 3:00 remaining. Throwing a wet ball by a 13 for 40 quarterback to try and get a meaningless first down instead of doing the safe thing and punting and letting the defense win the game. BYU loses game on an interception.

Anybody seeing a pattern here?

• sheeps Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 9:58 a.m.

I knew this would happen. Ever since BYU went away from their a successful offense in order to accommodate a running QB, it has been a disaster. I just don't get why BYU has been trying to change. They should go back to the pro-style, drop back passing offence that has always been so successful for them. The read option doesn't work for BYU and it never will. Now we're stuck with a QB who doesn't know how to pass and a very predictable offense. Thanks Bronco, for letting a QB force his way in due to just his "leadership" abilities and letting Heaps go. BYU's offense went from being dangerous to an embarrassment under your watch!

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 9:06 a.m.

@netwidt: Anae neither needs nor deserves you to stick up for him. He's well paid to make the right calls. That call was terrible. Harmon is paid to analyze the games and provide his interpretation...which he did. I have no problem with criticizing reporters...nor football coaches.

• mdp Bountiful, utah
    Sept. 2, 2013 9:04 a.m.

The problem was not the called play, it was a bad pass- too high and too hard for the back to control (rookie mistakes).

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Sept. 2, 2013 8:41 a.m.

Before the game, I was filled with much hope and excitement.
    After the game, I was visibly depressed and wanted to vomit!

Yet again, it's another case of much hype and no bite! After all the glaring pre-season hype, the so called go fast, go hard offense seems nothing more than a gimmick, a joke that's not even funny. Hope they can work the problems out or it's going to be a long and painful season.

As for those who bragged about how great and exciting the new offense is, I said before to please consider the effect when hype and predictions don't come true. This is a glaring example of what I meant, so may I humbly ask you guys to simply put a sock on it before you have the urge to boast again. You make like miserable for the rest of us by giving fuel to the likes of those who live to mock and dissed on us.

Go Cougars! Good luck against the Utes and the Aggies at least! I had a level of confidence before but now I'm resting only on hope after watching last night's game!

• duck Saint George, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 8:12 a.m.

Glad to see Anae take responsibility for this one. He blew it! What's more, he still has the tendency he had before to call the same pattern of plays. In short, he's predictable. Look back at those situations where we gained 7 or 8 yards on the first down and then ended up not making a first down and having to punt the ball. In almost every case, with only a yard or two to go, he went for the long play--with a pass play--rather than just focus on getting the first down. I don't mind an occasional pass play, but isn't it better to run the ball generally since we have at least two downs to make just a couple of yards. By calling a pass play, he's not surprising anyone. Everybody knows BYU likes to pass and they're waiting more for a pass play than a run. So, Robert, mix it up more. Focus on getting that first down rather than gaining 10 yards.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 7:13 a.m.

Seriously, it seems the go-hard, go-fast thing needs tempering with wisdom, to be willing to change that up when needing to burn clock, such as at end of first half, or to abandon it altogether in adverse weather and game delay such as Saturday...need wisdom and courage to change game plan as conditions may dictate over the course of a game, not stick to a losing proposition...its a football philosophy, not the Gospel Principles we are talking about here.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 7:04 a.m.

What an act of Charity for Virginia, they will love BYU forever, esp if it is their only win...we are about helping others, even football teams, feel good about themselves. Mission Accomplished. (and it was a game long, team effort).

• KSUBYU Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 1, 2013 11:24 p.m.

The experiment of go fast go hard may be good but not with this group. We will be lucky to win five games. Maybe next year.

• 86&90UTE Holladay, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 11:04 p.m.

Well, I hear some team with an uptempo offense like BYU's is playing Virginia in Charlottesville this upcoming weekend. I wonder if they will score more than 16 points with their 94 offensive plays against that stingy Virginia defense. Ummmm, yeah, I'm guessing that the Oregon Ducks will!!

• trueblue87 Provo, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 10:36 p.m.

It's one game. Yeah it was a bit of a heart break, but I liked the way they played. I still look forward to the remainder of the season and seeing what Robert Anae can do with BYU's offense.

• srh83 Hillsboro, OR
    Sept. 1, 2013 10:13 p.m.

I don't think it was a bad call at all. it was an easy throw that Hill should have been able to make, but he threw it high and Williams should have been able to bring it in. Had they converted on that they would have had four more downs to run the clock down and would have been fine.

Bottom line is it was Hill's fault.

• BlackDiamond Provo, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 10:04 p.m.

BYU football is just too much hype and cant live up to it. Hype about heaps, Nelson, Taysom Hill and all of them were ok. But its not the QBs. Our O'line sucks bad. They need to go hike up the Y more than anything so that they can actually can get around and block. Them long horns are for sure gonna ride the cougars this weekend

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:48 p.m.

The defense played great. I think the offense was trying to set a different mark prior to kickoff. How many 3 & outs can we have in the shortest amount of time possible. I think we have set a new record in the books. What a joke of play calling and offensive line blocking.

Texas will pose a different set of problems defensively. Let's see if we can learn from our mistakes and not do them again. I am impressed that we did not have any major personal fouls penalties against us. That is a positive take-away from Sat night.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:46 p.m.

Article quote: "It appeared that BYU — a team that had overcome a blocked punt and safety and had allowed the Cavaliers exactly zero sustained long scoring drives all day — was in total control, ready to skip out of town with a win. All that was needed was a conservative play followed by a punt....."

Yep.

A lead.

In the rain.

With a QB that had NOT performed well throwing the ball all day.

On a 3rd down.

LATE in the 4th quarter.

With a defense that had been holding their opponent pretty well.

Hey, I know!, let's throw a pass in the middle of the field!

Come on, guys! There are times you play aggressive and then there are times when you play to protect the lead.

Stupid, stupid, stupid....

Once again, we get an "L" where it wasn't so much that our opponent beat us as it feels like we beat ourselves.

Sigh....

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:24 p.m.

It's about time for an in depth article on the effects of high altitude and athletes.

The only people writing about a negative impact on players at all are sports writers who keep repeating the same myth over and over. Occasionally, opposing coaches mention a negative effect, but that's an easy excuse for poor performance.

• Class act Washington, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:20 p.m.

Traveling 2000 miles takes its toll but Virginia is a below average team in a below average conference. Why should Robert Anae be any different the second time around? Hurry-up doesn't equate to efficient. Just saying.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:18 p.m.

Duckhunter and I don't agree often, but that BYU offense was "same bungling batch of ineptitude it has been for the last 3 years".

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:14 p.m.

So BYU goes up 7-0 in the first half. They get the ball back late in the half and instead of running the clock out,they still went soft and fast...took hardly any time off the clock and left Virginia time to go kick a FG. That's 3 points. End result, Cav's win by 3. Not controlling the clock in that situation was huge!

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 8:55 p.m.

Texas will roll over BYU. No doubt about it.

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 8:53 p.m.

My worst fears regarding Anae's rehire were realized early in this game. I was always openly critical of him and he proved yesterday that regardless of the offense you're running, play calling and game management is important and he is clearly lacking in those areas. While it's true that he never should have called a pass play late in the game and deep in our own territory, he also shouldn't have handed off to Jamall 33 times during the game. When has BYU ever had a running back carry the ball 33 times? Go fast, go hard is definitely not going to get us any where if most of the time it means 2 yards and a cloud of dust. I thought BYU left that offense behind 40 years ago!

• greatbam22 andrews afb, MD
    Sept. 1, 2013 8:14 p.m.

Maybe BYU just stinks at playing in the rain? There was supposed to be a 30% chance of rain yesterday.

When was the last season opener away game than BYU played where it rained? I would imagine some Washington team.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 8:13 p.m.

If Max Hall throws the pass BYU gets a first down and wins the game. Actually if Max Hall or John Beck were at QB they would have gone 25-35 for over 350 yards in the air and multiple touch downs instead of 13-35 and I forget the sorry yardage count BYU had in the air for the game. Yes Anae probably should have run the ball but the receiver was wide open and Hill threw too high ...as he did all game long. Actually the ball was either in the dirt or wildly overthrown and I have seen no improvement from last year with Hill when the did the same thing.The kid is a running / option QB in the Doman mold and I doubt he will be anything but that. Being athletic doesn't always translate to being accurate as we have seen with Tim Tebow.

• Josh-R-Posh Charlottesville, VA
    Sept. 1, 2013 7:35 p.m.

Painfully evident that football is way lower than #5 on Bronco's list of priorities...more like #15?
    Worst opening BYU game I can remember...and I painfully witnessed it from the front row! But Bronco is happy, as long as they try hard and have strong testimonies...pssshhht. Too many high expectations with Bronco's teams:
    1. National Championship (when? 2033?)
    2. Amazing new hurried offense will tire any team (especially BYU)
    3. Amazing new quarterback that passed up Stanford for BYU (who throws at receiver's feet)
    4. BYU's best group of receivers ever (did you see many catches?)
    5. The return of our amazing offensive coordinator Robert Anae (uhhhh, just hand the ball to Jamal & have him run it up the middle...again, and again, and again...)

Perhaps BYU's marketing department should stop pumping everyone up for runaway seasons?

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 6:58 p.m.

Re: CougarOnTheProwl

Williams carried the ball 33 times out of necessity. Williams was the only one doing anything. It reminds me of JJ DiLuigi in 2010. He was literally the only playmaker on that team at the time. That's WAY too many carries for a back his size. If it stays like that all season he will get hurt.

This loss falls squarely on the shoulders of the offensive line. They got their trash kicked up and down the field and played like PANSIES with ZERO effort. They weren't even acting like they wanted to play. If I'm Coach Tujague I am in their ear all week, and I'm benching anyone who won't block next week against Texas.

• Proud Ute ,
    Sept. 1, 2013 5:51 p.m.

Duckhunter

Highland, UT

I'm waiting for BYU to play before I make an assessment, I need to actually see them first. My concerns for them are the o-line and the corners, other than those 2 positions they should be solid, but of course I need to see them first

Duckhunter

Highland, UT

The offense was the same bungling batch of ineptitude it has been for the last 3 years. The defense was stellar, Virginia did not sustain one single drive on them the entire game. Instead offensive idiocy and special teams ineptitude cost them a game.

Discussion?

• cdchttrtn meridian, idaho
    Sept. 1, 2013 5:34 p.m.

RBB, Yes it nice that Anae steped up and accepted responsibility. His next step should be to resign.!!!!!!!! Same-O - Same-0.....offense. It's going to be a long season. We better get used to it. There has got to be a good offensive coordinator some place in the country that would like to come to BYU. There are 100's of high school coaches that have a better knowledge and feel for the game than Anea.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 5:04 p.m.

It is nice to see someone step up and accept responsibility. However, a game is never about just one play. BYUs offense simply had poor execution most of the game.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 4:50 p.m.

mnsave
    Rigby, ID

Guy Holliday - fail with all the drops.
    Robert Anae - fail with only 16 points and the most third down situations in the Bronco era.
    Mark Atuaia - fail with Williams carrying the ball 33 times - too many - he's going to get hurt.
    Garrett Tujague - fail with no pass protection and no running game until the 4th quarter.

mnsave,

How is it a fail on Atuaia that Williams carried the ball 33 times??? Anae calls the plays.Williams proved to handle the work load very well, he gained over 140 yards and proved that he can be a workhorse type of RB. Autaia gets a pass, he had his backs ready to go and they produced. The running game was actually one of the few positives on offense from this game.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 1, 2013 4:25 p.m.

All BYU Fans are disappointed with this needless loss. The saddest part to me was that Book II of Anae appears to be just as boring and unimaginative as his first read. It looks like we will just be getting bad play calling faster now!

• 86&90UTE Holladay, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 4:25 p.m.

All of BYU's problems come back to the ineffective O-line. They couldn't keep the defensive front four out of the backfield, nor could they create holes on running plays on a consistent basis. Unless something changes, BYU is in for a long season. Utah's main problem last year was offensive line play and we Ute fans know too well how last season went. Utah's O-line looks a little better against USU, but we will see. BYU picked the wrong season, schedule-wise, to have such a glaring weakness at O-line.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 4:05 p.m.

@Mountainflying

Texas didn't score till late in the second quarter against New Mexico State at home. Texas eventually got things going and ran up the score and apparently that is all you saw.

I can't wait for the Texas game. I hope THEY think BYU is as bad as the Utah fans on here do because that Virginia game was as bizarre as football can get. The altitude, fast pace, Hoffman and home crowd should be factors to get a Cougar win.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 3:51 p.m.

The offense was the same bungling batch of ineptitude it has been for the last 3 years. The defense was stellar, virginia did not sustain one single drive on them the entire game. Instead offensive idiocy and special teams ineptitude cost them a game.

Will this never change?

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2013 3:50 p.m.

CCPederson has a point. Virginia's offense is not a threat. But with a punt, and needing a TD, they would "have been in 4 down mode" with an extra down to move the ball. That said, I think they had one timeout left and there offense is not a big strike offense. BYU's defense should be the focal point philosophically for BYU's coaches even with the OC (Anae) and his play calling considerations.

• chiliman Florence, AZ
    Sept. 1, 2013 3:49 p.m.

The only team befuddled by the new BYU hurry-up offense was BYU.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2013 3:45 p.m.

I think if BYU ran for a first down or ended up punting minus another special teams blunder, Virginia would have had very little chance of winning. BYU's defense had owned them and with a 4 point lead, Virginia would have had to have gone the length of the field for a TD as a FG would have done them no good down four. Coaching decisions have really hurt BYU the last twop years (i.e. Boise State ect..)

Hoffman being hurt is devastating to BYU. Hamstrings can linger and be reaggravated. White IV being hurt was a huge negative for Utah last year. With a game manager QB, White IV was Utah's bread and butter.

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    Sept. 1, 2013 3:35 p.m.

It just hit me!! Duuuuhhhh!

Go Fast=Firing Anae a 2nd time; after just one game.

Go Hard=No severance.

"Who would have thought BYU would run "21 dive" all night...

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Sept. 1, 2013 3:00 p.m.

I don't blame Anae. Had the players simply executed on a basic play, BYU could have run out the clock. Next week will be much better!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 1, 2013 2:47 p.m.

Head coaches are supposed to make critical calls. It seems Bronco wants nothing to do with the offense, but he should have made the call on 3rd down that cost BYU the game. Any arm chair QB knows you should keep it on the ground. The defense was playing great, the field conditions were horrible. Keep it on the ground when you're ahead and there's not much time left. I learned that in 8th grade.

• exchief62 ST GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 2:42 p.m.

That call may not have been the right one, but let's put the blame on the shoulders of the guy who went 13 of 40.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 2:05 p.m.

"@Ducky, mind games, sammy G, wer, cougiefaninTX, my two dads, tom in CA, etc.....LOL!!

I've posted this a few times and of course it still holds true..."

Is there any need for an explanation to 2BCSWins comment?

(crickets)

Didn't think so. LOL

This weekend's game has only proven that more work is needed. I'm confident that improvement will come.

Looking forward to next week's game.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 1, 2013 1:46 p.m.

When get only 16 points out of 90 plays and 300 yards of offense, you have more to worry about than one play call. "Go fast, go hard" needs to go somewhere other than between the thirty yard lines.

• mountainflying Logan, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 1:38 p.m.

Steve Jarvis.....Texas scored 56 points and New Mexico scored 7....I'm sure they could have made the score higher if they wanted to. BYU has NO chance against Texas!

• FanOfAllTeamsFromOURstate PG, CA
    Sept. 1, 2013 1:37 p.m.

You all realize that this was a pretty good opponent to open up against, right? It's not a 4-8 team from the WAC, Virginia has a challenging schedule. Next weeks game vs Texas is going to be a challenge, but a lot of improvement usually happens between week 1 and week 2. Plus, the Cougars then have 2 weeks to prepare against the Utes. That is probably a 50/50 game anyways and to have the extra prep time is a huge benefit. So… the season is a long way from being done. And it wasn't all Anae. You needed to get that first down. If the WR/RB catches the ball rather than let it slip through his hands, game over. I hope Taysom (who clearly has room for improvement) doesn't feel to bad about putting the ball in the receivers hands. Oh, and D - how able hold the opponent to a FG when put in a bad position. Both times you gave up 7 when a defensive hold to just 3 would have won the game. The D is clearly the better aspect of the team right now, but a great D needs to make that hold. Just saying.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Sept. 1, 2013 1:30 p.m.

Derecha, it may prove worthwhile to stop making excuses. The Y was beat, they lost, and now it's time to move on. Beat themselves? I don't care, it's time to get to work and right the wrongs.

Go UTES!!

• Love skiing Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 1:01 p.m.

Football is played and won at the line of scrimmage. The line play must improve or it's a long season for Byu. Changing QB is not the answer. How can they be effective if they can't be protected.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 12:40 p.m.

Isitsnowinginspace,

The defense couldn't stop Virginia on the last TD because the defender in position had just been tackled from behind by an offensive lineman creating the hole. Had the weather been better the refs may have caught that one. I am not worried about the defense. I am much more concerned with the O-line learning how to push long enough to spring the running backs. That was missing most of the game.

I am sure BYU is looking forward to the ranked Longhorns coming to town. Texas had some problems in the first half with NMSU defense though they turned it into the expected rout the second half. BYU being a better defense than NMSU is an understatement. It will also be entertaining to see how long the Texan linemen will be able to go fast at altitude.

Cody Hoffman hopefully will have a big game after sitting out the Virginia one. He would have made the difference.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 12:31 p.m.

Shabba- I'm thinking the U will go in to Provo 3-0, and full of confidence, The Y will be 0-2, and full of doom. Normally, that would make me as a fan feel confident. But nothing will bounce you back to reality like a rival, so I think the game will be closer than it should be, considering all I've heard about how Hill is so much better as a QB, and KVN is the best LB in the state, if not nation, I would be careful as a Y fan trashtalking until U actually beat us! It goes both ways, each side has it's you know whats, and I prefer to let the talking be done on the field and scoreboard.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 12:28 p.m.

Anae made a gutsy call based on what should be available. It didn't work.

Anae made a call that had it worked gets the first down and no chance for Virginia to likely touch the ball the rest of the game. The defense should expect a run and the pass play certainly was there as expected. Its a shame Williams couldn't hold on to it or at least kept the ball from going behind him or that Hill swung the ball at his numbers. Bad things happen in the rain.

I was very critical of Anae during his last stint in Provo. He wouldn't attempt field goals against ranked teams when it appeared to me that the risk of being stopped on fourth down and getting nothing exceeded the value of momentum that getting three points would bring. He was WAY too conservative back then. Even though the play in question resulted in a turnover the call was the correct one considering how the punter had been doing.

BYU should learn from this loss. Next couple of games are here in Provo. Those are both winable games if the Cougars don't second guess themselves.

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    Sept. 1, 2013 12:17 p.m.

Come on guys grow up; football is like life. Pick up a go on. There is no established offensive philosophy. Stick with one whether we win or lose. Fast and Hard or Pro Set etc. I think the players have a good attitude in trying to embrace a non established and set in stone offensive philosophy. What do I know. Enjoy the hot dogs and popcorn all season long.

• Shabba san mateo, CA
    Sept. 1, 2013 12:04 p.m.

BYU gave up 220 total yards on defense, and 109 in rushing. I would say that is a great effort when they are always on the filed due to offensive problems, and in the middle of a thunderstorm.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 1, 2013 12:04 p.m.

Anae's calling the same play over and over and over again on the same down situation is NOT going to win over the hearts of Cougar fans.

"Go hard and go fast" will work, but you have to mix up the plays and you have to block. The rushing yards gained in this game were essentially obtained by the merits of the runner, with little to no help from the offensive line.

Was there any substitution going on at all on the O-line?

• zeba North Ogden, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 12:02 p.m.

13 of 40... Somewhere Riley Nelson is probably still smiling. It seems like last season, all I heard from Y fans, was how much better their team would be if Hill was the starter. Ouch, a tough dose of reality on Saturday? Anae shouldn't baby Hill, Hill made the bad pass that was intercepted. Anae has bigger problems, most of their whole offense was Williams, 33 carries. To score more than 16 points, they'll need more variety. Did Hoffman play? It looks like this season will be similar to last season.

• Radicalromney81 Lehi, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 11:52 a.m.

If If's, and's, and but's were candy and nuts, we all would have a Merry Christmas! Let's look at the potential of the offense instead of the negative. I think we all saw what the offense can do with a 92 yard drive capped with a touchdown in the 4th quarter. I see some big things happening with the football team this year. The team made some mistakes, and they are also running a brand new offense this year. BYU is going to get better, and we have some wonderful talent to improve on. It is tough to see my team lose and it hurts, but we move on and hope for the best. I would have liked to see the cougs win this first game, but they didn't. So we look to play Texas. If BYU can move the ball like they did on that 92 yard drive we will beat Texas hands down. Greatness doesn't happen overnight, just ask MJ! I love our defense, those guys are amazing and they are fun to watch. If everyone on the football team gets working on all cylinders we will have an awesome year. Go Cougs!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 1, 2013 11:32 a.m.

@2bcswins
    "All cougie fans preach how great the cougies are how they should go undefeated, to a BCS bowl, etc. "

"All"? Really? Hyperbole, straw man and downright dishonesty. Cite me even one cougar fan making such a statement, let alone "all." And Mildred and Ernest don't count.

You could make an argument either way about that call by Anae. There were so many mistakes by both the players and coaches this game that it is really difficult to make that call to pass on 3rd down, the critical one. It was the myriad of predictable calls and weak offensive line (especially left tackle) that was the key to this loss. I honestly thought there was no way that our defense would allow Virginia to score a TD after the turnover, but yet it only took one play. Who's to say that Virginia after a punt wouldn't have marched right down the field (with Unga out) and scored anyway.

Hill was really off mark but I think that was mostly an aberration. There were just too many other factors. It is certainly NOT cause to replace him yet.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 11:31 a.m.

Well, Bob. You just put crisco on the soles of your shoes & took a voluntary 1st step down a slippery slope.

• isitsnowinginspace Orem, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 11:27 a.m.

What's up with all the loser Ute fans coming here to taunt? Idjits.

Anyway, it would have been nice for a win, and it's clear that Hill and the offense are not world-beaters, but I don't see this as all doom and gloom. Home for for Virginia, and it took some very wet weather that led to a couple of turnovers to give them the victory. I think the bigger story is that the defense couldn't stop Virginia on that last drive. So: A) the offense isn't as good as we would have hoped, but I think they'll get get better as the season progresses; and B) the defense looks good, not great like last year.... We'll see how that goes.

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 11:06 a.m.

All Harmon did was explain how the "better" team beat themselves and gave the game away. You byu people and your excuses! It's unbelievable!

• The Big One Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 11:04 a.m.

can't people remember what a disaster he was the first go round? remember the definition of insanity

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Sept. 1, 2013 10:56 a.m.

Fire Anae Now. Seriously, it's never going to work. Didn't before, and this leopard's spot haven't changed.

• wallyball SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 10:56 a.m.

Anae: "I'm really excited and pleased with the way our QB played." Hill completes 13 of 40 passes. What am I missing here? Poor coaching decisions and the inability to make plays in the clutch continue to plague this team. More specifically, the mistakes they make are huge and game changing. I would prefer fewer slogans and more results, but if a slogan is required how about play smart.

• CRB Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 10:55 a.m.

One of the worst losses in a long time. Virginia is a bad, young, one dimentional team and they played BYU better than even. Why? 1. BYU does not have the athletes on the Oline to play the hurry up offense. They had to go to their two minute pro offense at the end. 2. Hill has a lot more work to do before he will be an average QB. He throws off his wrong foot when he is moving and down field accuracy is not a threat. 3. BYU's defense is several notches below last year. While the linebackers are good they gave up a lot of rushing yards to a team that had little else and the line is significantly weaker. A passing team will rip the dbacks also.4. BYU's coaching staff was very slow as usual to react and change game plans. They had two half times to do it with the weather delay and made no adjustments. These guys are in real trouble with the schedule they have this year.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 10:32 a.m.

Go Hard Punt Fast

• cdchttrtn meridian, idaho
    Sept. 1, 2013 10:31 a.m.

Anae offense is no different than when he was at BYU the first time and it is not much different than what Doman tried to do last year. I still can't understand why the offensive coordinator is not up in the press box like all the other OC's in the nation.
    When it is 3rd down an 7 or 8 yards to go, everyone in the stadium knows you are going to pass for a first down and you know that they are going to rush the QB with everyone. Why don't they have a play action pass play to at least hold the defensive just a little so a play can be made. Also, early in the first quarter we were 2nd down and 1 yard to go and threw two passes rather than pick up the first down with a running play. Fans, it is going to be a long year for the Cougars again this year with the out dated offensive that has not changed. If you want to see what a college offense should look like, you should have watched Washington play. Talk about up tempo!!!
    They know how to run a fast and hard offensive.

• football_fan Murray, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 10:28 a.m.

13 for 40 in passing for Taysom Hill? They should have given the ball to QB Ammon Olsen. If BYU wants to pass this year, they should switch QBs now to Olsen. I heard Olsen has a better arm.

• Shabba san mateo, CA
    Sept. 1, 2013 10:22 a.m.

Ute fans better be careful. This defense is still amazing and it looks like we have a decent kicker. I would at least hold off on the trash talking until you actually beat us.

I'm still optimistic, even though we threw that one away.

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 10:22 a.m.

Wow! It's the first game of the season, folks. I will agree, BYU made big mistakes that gave the game to Virginia. Give Virginia credit, however, for taking advantage of those situations. BYU, however, did not capitalize on the turnover margin advantage.

Let's put this game in the past and focus on next week. The sign of a strong team is to look at their mistakes and adjust for the next game. I hope BYU has what it takes to be a strong team. Virginia may also be a better team than we gave them credit. I can see BYU starting out 2-1 for the first three games of the season. Utah, to tell you the truth, also has a lot of problems to work out in their game. We'll see, however, how that turns out when the game is played.

• sg newhall, CA
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:46 a.m.

Time to find a legitimate offensive coordinator. Anae should NEVER have been rehired. The QB position continues to be average. Hill is OK but not even close to being on par with the past greats. This offense is stagnant, boring and predictable. BYU will end 50/50 this season and will NOT be going to a bowl game. This should have been a W.

• Hank Jr Draper, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:42 a.m.

Return to the standard offence. Lose the "hurry up". The hurry up has it's own time and place during a game, not the entire game. After 144 years of American football, one would think that if the full time hurry up is so great, it would be used extensively by now.

• mnsave Rigby, ID
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:18 a.m.

I'm not ready to give up at all. I believe it will get better.
    Anae - 16 points, the most 3rd downs in a game in the Bronco era - fail.
    Tujague - No pass protection and no running game until the fourth quarter - fail.
    Holliday - Several dropped passes. Reminds me of pre-Cahoon - fail.
    Atuaia - Too many carries for Williams, he's going to get hurt. Where are the other guys - fail.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:08 a.m.

I've posted this a few times and of course it still holds true.

Jan - August....All cougie fans preach how great the cougies are how they should go undefeated, to a BCS bowl, etc.

Sept/October- Cougie fans dissapear after early losses because they are so embarrased of all the talk of nat titles, BCS games, going undefeated, how much better they are than Utah, etc.

Nov/December- After the highschool schedule kicks in and they get a few wins in a row the talk builds back up to how the mighty cougars are the greatest team in the country even though they lose games on the feild where it matters....LOL!

Go fast go hard and go home with an L....LOL

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 1, 2013 8:54 a.m.

After watching the crazy game, I watched Washington destroy and I mean destroy Boise State. UW too has moved to the go fast offense, throwing out a lot of last year's offense. UW's defense is much better than last year but not as good as BYU's. The difference was quarterback. Price was priceless.

But he's a senior now (I think) and Hill is a Sophomore. Basically, UW didn't change their offense of last year, they just trimmed it down. BYU is learning a completely new offense. But I'm concerned about Hill's poor passing. Boise and UW both has great passing. Robert may have to consider Olsen at some point.

This season is not over, there are plenty of games to win. Tough loss, but they will rebound. Bronco has had some tough first game losses and pulled out very good seasons. We'll see what happens, but it is unrealistic to think BYU will get through this season with less than four losses.

• mnsave Rigby, ID
    Sept. 1, 2013 8:24 a.m.

Guy Holliday - fail with all the drops.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Sept. 1, 2013 8:19 a.m.

Once again the examples of incredible preparation, unmatched devotion, some of the most highly touted recruits in the nation and coaching staff without peer have shown and given us cause to reflect and hope that "there's always next year". Thanks Robert.

• GilmerTexasCougar Gilmer, TX
    Sept. 1, 2013 7:50 a.m.

At least Anae doesn't argue with reality like Mendenhall. I'm glad he is recognizing a poor decision (he should have had very little confidence in the passing game) and not loudly shouting he would do the same thing in any similar situation. At least that gives us some hope. Sports writers have given this Texas Cougar fan false hopes about this offense. I still wonder if there is any chance that Olsen could give a spark to the offense. It's sad when one player, Hoffman, can't play that the offense would be so terrible. But just like last year, on many plays if the offensive line had just fallen to the ground after the snap they would have been just as effective. For all practical purposes the offense gave up 16 points and scored 16 points.

• GilmerTexasCougar Gilmer, TX
    Sept. 1, 2013 7:50 a.m.

It's really sad when the offense is so bad that the OC must punt and rely on the defense, but that clearly is the situation BYU is in--even against a very weak Virginia team. Yes, Anae, Hill, and Williams blew the play and the game. I hope the offense can get better and if it doesn't I hope that they will do everything possible to let the defense win.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 7:32 a.m.

The problem with BYU and BYU fans in general is they are all stuck in the mid 80’s mind set. The Football world has greatly changed since then. No longer can BYU get by with great young men with average talent.

BYU domed their program when they left the MWC. BYU further hurt their program by not begging the Big-12 to take them in the league. Yes, the ESPN thing was a good money grab but at what cost? With no conference title to fight for, their season ends with their first loss, as it has this season. BYU is an average mid-major team. That is reality. Get use to it and deal with it.

I have watched the play several times. The assumption all of you are making is a run and punt would easily salt away a win. This is pure speculation at best. The play would have, should have worked. The pass was a little high but very catchable. Additionally, what kind of D stand was that as the runner bounced his way into the end zone? Quit believing the hype coming out of fall camp. You are what you are

• greatbam22 andrews afb, MD
    Sept. 1, 2013 7:32 a.m.

@netwidt

I am sure no one would have complained about anae running out as much of the clock at the end of the game.

There are times like when it is MORE than appropriate to play conservatively. They could have just kneed the ball on 3rd and punted on 4th and I would have been happy.

• Magic Happens Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 7:20 a.m.

Netwidt has is right. Cougar fans, supported by Mr. Harmon's article want to be able to argue both sides of the Anae debate, which ever side is convenient at the time. It's time to be a fan, afterall it's only the first game.

As a Ute fan, despite all the reasons (excuses) given for the loss, weather, play calling, officials, inexperience, time zones, etc, (and I'll also throw in a couple, lack of position mastery and performance at a higher level), one word comes to mind after watching last nights game, TRADITION!!! (Should have left it on the uniforms)

Go Utes

• Ironhide Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 1:22 a.m.

Taysom struggled to hit open targets, over throwing most

The line is still a mess

Anae is like a broken record with his play calling. Still. I called run or pass correctly over 90% of the time. Too many 2nd and longs which mostly turned into third and long. How about a screen or two to give the defense a reason not to bring the house every other play?

Hadley should have caught his would be interception.

On a pass Hill actually threw in the vacinity, Jamaal should have caught it for a first down, instead it's intercepted. It was high but not a crazy reach whatsoever. Ran before completing the catch.

Another pass Hill got close to the target, Brett Thompson should have caught on third down for a first down.

Defense got hosed again with the only two touchdowns scored on them being shorter than 20 yard fields.

Should have, should have, should have. But didn't.

Virginia made plays when they had to, BYU didn't.

• derecha Central, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 12:57 a.m.

Wookie, "They were beat plain and simple..." What? Did you see the game? BYU held VA to 230 yards of offense. VA scored two touchdowns, both of which were on drives of 10 and 13 yards, one after a blocked punt and another after the well talked about 3rd down pass play that should have been a run. 2 pts came from a bad snap by BYU and the 3pts came with under a minute remaining in the 1st half while BYU was playing the well known "prevent" defense so as to not allow the long play, but giving up many 10 to 15 yard plays instead. VA did not have a sustained drive all game long, yet BYU's offense and special teams handed them points. This doesn't sound like they were beaten, this sounds like they beat themselves. Yes, BYU lost, and it was ugly, but they were certainly not beaten.

• derecha Central, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 12:46 a.m.

Chris B., As a UTE fan, you sure spend a lot of time on the BYU comment boards. Maybe as a fan, you should spend a little more time supporting your team rather than paying attention to what is going on over here. Thanks for the attention, but your guys can use your support a little more.

• CCPedersen Fairfield, CA
    Sept. 1, 2013 12:19 a.m.

I don't agree that the call was bad. (SLC Nation is right.) A first down likely salts the game away. Keep in mind that UVA would have been in 4 down mode when they got the ball back.
    The throw was a bit high, but I;m sure that Williams would tell you he should have caught the ball. Execution (or lack thereof) was to blame. And how about Sorensen's hold on the kick return? But the biggest blown play was the drop by Thompson on 3rd and 10 at midfield on BYU's last real possession. That was an easy reception and big first down.
    Anae's play calling left something to be desired, but more for the constant up-the-middle handoffs that went nowhere, not for a simple pass in the flat that should have been a first down.

• lloyd braun ogden, utah
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:44 p.m.

Come on people. Seriously!! Now we're going to hear about how Ammon Olsen is the guy. The pattern continues. I'm a Ute fan first, Aggie fan also, but even I am smart enough to not throw the season away yet. I read last year about how it was Riley Nelson's fault, and how Taysom Hill was going to save the day. Now Ammon Olsen? Give me a break. Just get behind your team and quit being the "overly critical" fans that you are. I'm going to give them a break, and wait a bit longer to judge. It's embarassing a church owned school is so heavily judged and criticized by its fans, who are mostly LDS. I feel bad for you. Quit judging so soon, and support your team. They want to win. Practice what your church preaches.

• netwidt Peachtree City, GA
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:36 p.m.

As I remember it, when Anae left BYU fans had been relentless in their criticism of his overly conservative play calling. He was characterized as an extremely boring offensive coordinator, never taking appropriate risks. Now Harmon is bashing him for not being conservative enough. I bet that seat facing your keyboard is nice and comfy, nothing like the hot seat you'd like to create for Anae. Pretty easy knowing the right plays to call after the game, Mr Harmon.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:29 p.m.

Another Anae era starts with a disaster. Bad play calling all day. He should stay a line coach. He's good at that. He is not a OC!

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:26 p.m.

Wasn't there a game against Georgia years ago when BYU got greedy and tried a touchdown pass to pad their lead and it was intercepted and Georgia ran it 100 yards for a game-winning touchdown? Anyone remember that? Was it Detmer who threw that? My memory is fuzzy and may be wrong. Please enlighten us.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:22 p.m.

Be careful, Anae. If you volunteer that the loss was your fault, Bronco just may believe it, and you may find yourself being driven out of Provo for the second time.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:18 p.m.

I'm glad Anae owned up to his mistake. It was clearly his. A man admits his mistakes and learns from them. Thanks coach. You are a true man. It was forgotten to mention that the ball was wet, the turf was wet, the running game was the main success on offense, and Taysom Hill had a poor passing game. It was simply a human error and 20-20 hindsight points at Anae. had the pass been completed and the first down obtained, he would have been touted as a hero who preserved the win and made a gutsy call.

My expectations are lowered for Texas. But I can hope that the Cougars come with the fire they lacked today. They CAN win. Bring it all to the field and leave it there.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:16 p.m.

SlopJ30 -- you are of course correct. But I had been having fun trash talking about going undefeated and getting a shot at the high and mighty SEC. That was dreaming... but more fun to be undefeated going into November with shots against Wisconsin and Boise State if they were ranked high... the fun fan debates about who plays who, SOS and deserving that BCS shot. That is all off the table now after just one game, timidly attempted by a disappointingly conservative offense.

• YGuy Lehi, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:06 p.m.

Well said, Dick Harmon. Lets give a little credit to the boss too though..:

I listened to Bronco on Wrubell's show from the press box earlier in the week, and he was acting like he had the greatest team in football. Smacking about how camp is too long, and how he could get the work done in far less time. The work wasn't and isn't done. This team sputtered all night. They looked so rusty and sloppy, it's a miracle they ever had a shot in this one. Yet another squandered opportunity on the road for Mendenhall. He almost never wins the important ones. And make no mistake - this may be a bad Virginia team, but this was a critical win.

The worst part for me is reconciling the fact that the mediocre Utah team I watched the other night is going to beat us on their way to their worst season in years. I hate losing to Utah--especially in years when they aren't good.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:01 p.m.

Gotta to hand it to Anea- he's taking the blame for the loss.

Actually, it wasn't that one call that did it. There were so many mistakes by the offense, coupled with "special" team miscues, that it's amazing the Cougs kept the score so close.

UVA was a younger team, the QB hadn't played as recently as had Hill, etc., and the game looked a lot like the Texas loss a couple of years ago.

Too much ineptitude.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:00 p.m.

Taysom Hill looks like the next coming of ....uh ... uh... Riley Nelson.

Duckhunter, where are you? I need an explanation for this loss. How can Anae's offense look so inept?

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:31 p.m.

"I don't care whose fault it is, the season is over for this fan."

I don't think you quite get the meaning of the word "fan." A fan doesn't bail on his team after one shaky game and tough loss. Or even a tough, shaky season if it comes to that. A fan is disappointed and possibly upset after a loss, but if your only motivation for watching and supporting a team is that they might win a national title, relatively few fans would have any reason to watch any schools play. How many teams have a legit shot at the title this year? 15, at most? BYU really didn't. Utah certainly doesn't.

Find another hobby. Seriously.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:23 p.m.

I don't know enough about football to question any call, but from a human interest point of view, Ammon Olsen deserves a start against Texas. That is meant to take nothing away from Hill but Olsen deserves a chance.

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:21 p.m.

Dick slammed Anae hard and he deserves it. Anae just gave away a win and a season. Now, I hope he will bounce back next game, but he deserves all the blames.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:20 p.m.

Where was the offensive line? How can 4 defensive lineman beat 5 to 6 blockers?

• bigv56 Cottonwood, CA
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:10 p.m.

Who makes that call? Nobody!,,

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:09 p.m.

Not even I thought byu would lose!

I guess I overestimated this team!

And I knew you were terrible.

Lol

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:00 p.m.

Too many excuses in this article. They were beat plain and simple. Now move on.

Go UTES!!

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:59 p.m.

Appears as though nothing has changed with Anae's offense :(

Go UTES!!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:57 p.m.

That was so funny!

The defense was handling them fine.

Only byu is capable of finding a way to lose that game!

Lol!

If you can't beat Virginia, who will you beat?

Utah will make byu 0-3.

Lol!

Week one was perfect!

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:51 p.m.

looked just like the 2012 season, defense plays hard and does what it needs to do to keep the game close and the offense comes out and drives the train off the cliff.

I hate to be pessimistic, but my beloved Cougs could very well start out 0-3 this year unless this offense figures things out. Not just Hill's fault, plenty of blame to go around here. Missed passes, dropped passes, penalties, missed blocking assignments, and the list goes on and on.

A little help from special teams wouldn't hurt too. No more blocked punts and penalties ok?

Stay strong, gotta show up and play Texas with some heart next week, even if you do lose.

Go Cougs.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:49 p.m.

I don't care whose fault it is, the season is over for this fan. BYU needed to run the table this season, get the BCS title game and beat Alabama (or whomever got there with them). And in going undefeated during the season BYU needed to be a wide open, high scoring aerial circus with a solid running game and be an offensive threat. Instead, same conservative stuff. YAWN! Defense did well though.

• Cincinnatus Kearns, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:48 p.m.

@BYU NATION

Actually it is. Williams isn't a receiver and doesn't have the hands to grab a ball that he has to struggle to reach. That why he's a running back.

BYU was ahead. Anae should have called a "safe" play and run the ball and then punted on fourth down or gotten the first down on the ground. Especially with the pass completion record that Hill had racked up to that point.

It was an ugly game all around. But, that play, that call from Anae, sunk the ship.

• BYU NATION Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:36 p.m.

It's not Anae's fault that a wide open receiver can't catch the ball. Perfectly thrown pass too.

• UU702 Layton, UT