BYU football: Mistakes doom Cougars in bizarre season-opening loss to Virginia

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 3, 2013 12:30 p.m.

Cougsndawgs - Embrace the Crimson, you know you want to! Besides, Utah has always been known as a red state!

• haggie Visalia, CA
    Sept. 2, 2013 1:27 p.m.

A lot of predictible comments. BYU is horrible blah blah blah blah.....

Look it is a new offense, a sound defense and a new quarterback. There are going to be challenges for certain.

One person noted that BYU's defense was not as good as predicted and in the very next sentence states that UVA's offense was horrible. Come on dude, a good defense makes offenses look bad as well. UVA's scores 3 points on a massive field goal, has to move the ball 16 yards on a botched punt to score 7 more, THill drops the ball for a TB 2 points, and the near pick six in the fourth qtr. So offensive mistakes gave away nearly all the points or put them in great scoring position. Remember absent the intercepetion in the 4, BYU wins. Absent the rookie fumble by THill two less points.

There is work to be done for certain. BYU fans stop whining, and Utah fans go post somewhere else where your comments might have value. Like your teams game (speaking of no defense). Always a BYU fan good and bad!

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Sept. 2, 2013 12:40 p.m.

I have been a BYU fan for as long as I can remember!!! I will always be a fan through think and thin!!! BYU had a heartbreaking loss but it was only the first game and as bad as they played they only lost by four!!! I know the whole team can play better!!! To all the fair weather fans and Monday morning couch coaches I say shame on you!!! It is very easy to have 20/20 vision and to say what someone else should have done when looking from a distance and back in time!!! I think only haters have ever said anything about a possible National Championship this year before the season started!!! I believe in my team and the coaches we have!!! The loss hurt but I still believe the team can learn and grow and have a great season!!! Good luck to the other schools in the state!!!

Go Cougs!!! Rise and shout
    Go Utes except Sept. 21st.!!!
    Go Aggies except against BYU!!!

• jazzer St. George, UT
    Sept. 2, 2013 7:16 a.m.

"wow, I knew the ute defense would stink but I didn't think the Aggies defense would be just as bad (almost). That's good news for when BYU plays both programs and their soft defenses.

Looking forward to it!!! Go Cougs!!!"

Still laughing at this coug post ha ha ha typical BYU Fan.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 11:58 p.m.

Silent Lurker-- I'm afraid there aren't "six Patsy's" on the schedule this year. I'm a fan and even I'm having a hard time figuring where we'll come up with 6 wins unless there's some real improvement real fast--- and not the Anae kind of fast.

• Cougar11 Highland, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 11:03 p.m.

Don't listen to the complaints. If you didn't throw it on 3rd and 6 and Virginia would have gone down and scored all you would have heard was why didn't he go for it? He is too conservative etc. Winners try to win the game. You need to trust your guys; believe me as a former player myself, I appreciated it when the coaches trusted us to go for it. If it works your smart and if it doesn't your not. He was wide open and the RB had both hands on it. It's just all part of the job. It's why they pay you guys so well. Thanks for trying to own it and take responsibility. Hill needs to play fast but get his footwork right. His inaccuracy looked directly related to his footwork; he needs to be better. Give it time; coach him up and he will get better.

• Hugh G. Hater Swat Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 10:25 p.m.

I was thinking the same thing.
    The cougs under Bronco just can't get ready for big games.
    It is sad really.
    All of those slogans have gone to waste!

• blue & white Boise, ID
    Sept. 1, 2013 10:10 p.m.

I wish all the talking sports news heads would shut up and not tell us how good byu will be. my hopes get up for a big let down. why tell every body its a go fast go hard offence. just show up and let your actions do the talking. did Bronco ask Robert what play he is calling with 3 minutes left? we need a check and balance system among the coaches on critical downs. you all have head sets on so talk. so what if it takes another 15 seconds. the technology is there so use it. I cant believe all of the coaches agreed to pass. I didn't agree before it was intercepted. it was so obvious. why throw with 30 % completion rate in that situation. very frustrating. come on.

• SEBA Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:11 p.m.

BYU started their winning tradition due to a phenomenal passing scheme that changed the face of football, much like the 49rs did in the NFL, but over the years (after LaVell) abandon the fiber of their success. Watching them was like watching a Barry Switzer triple option team. Fast and hard is stupid if you go up the middle for a majority of your running plays. Nobody get tired of a 3 sec play. You want to run a defense ragged try passing every down and rotate the receivers, sound familiar?

• wallyball SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:09 p.m.

A couple of things that really bother me about the game. Even if the defense holds out and the game is won, the offense was pathetic and a 16 to 12 win is still pretty weak. Then Anae comes out and is quoted as saying that he was really pleased and excited with the way his qb played. Excited about 13 for 40? Finally, while all teams make mistakes the Y seems to make the same huge game changing mistakes over and over. When are they going to make the needed corrections? I think if they lose to Utah they will struggle to be bowl eligible.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:09 p.m.

It was a bizarre game. However, the outcome was not unlike several other opening game losses on the road. A couple of years ago, the Cougs should have won at Boston College. Two FG attempts hit the goal posts and a very questionable play call on a key 3rd or 4th down kept the Cougs out of the end zone.

Then, the game at Texas was theirs for the taking, but the offense was as inept or more so than the one against UVA.

Saturday, the offense and special teams just didn't look like they were ready for the season to start. Maybe UVA is a better team than forecasters predicted, but I noticed that Texas got 715 yards of total offense in their game Saturday (Yes, it was against a weak opponent, but five D-1 schools lost to FSB/FCD/FRC or whatever the term is for smaller schools.)

BYU's best chance for wins this year is for the defense to shut out every opponent. That's a tall order since the offense may be going three and out in record time, leaving the defense on the field for 45 minutes of the game.

• kosimov Riverdale, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 8:51 p.m.

Welcome to the BYU Fair Weather Fan blog.

It seems to me that what used to be fun, tongue in cheek jokes from one school to another has become too serious, with the comments becoming mean, offensive and cruel. Instead of kids having fun over school sports, now the students seem to feel that the fortunes of their school's athletic teams determine the quality of their school's education and even of the school's students. It has always been true that in any group, there will be a few "bad apples" who speak louder and more often than the rest of the group, and that is clearly born out here. I doubt the majority of students at BYU or Utah would attack each other and the schools as is done here, where the comments from the other school often outnumber those of the school's students and fans. But, this site still makes both schools look bad, by the nature of the comments. I used to enjoy myself here, even the trolls could be entertaining. But no longer; it leaves me feeling sick no matter who wins or loses. Does anyone here care about this problem?

• Juice19 South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 8:11 p.m.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, bigv56. Comparing BYU to Utah is like comparing Utah to Weber St. If Utah comes out and crushes Weber and then Weber goes on to have a great year and the U struggles, it's no different than BYU being crushed by the U (8 out of the last 11). Move on and focus on your own teams successes errrr... Own teams wins errr... Progression..? Haha. Laughable.

• mattmo Gallatin, MO
    Sept. 1, 2013 8:05 p.m.

One game and we are giving up on the cougars. Not the fans of yesteryear. Get your tissues out and whine a little why don't you. I thought they played well considering the conditions and being w/o their biggest weapon and go to guy. I still have hope for them. Many of them balls that were dropped would have been caught in dry conditions. Go BYU I Still Believe. :)

• bigv56 Cottonwood, CA
    Sept. 1, 2013 7:22 p.m.

Utah fans,you will always be pac12 road kill. Hopefully you can feel superior from down there.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 6:43 p.m.

Mcallen, TX
    My wife asked me why I put myself through this agony every year.
    It's a guy thing.
    4:08 p.m. Sept. 1, 2013"

He finally surfaced on the "Grades" article.

Dozens of posts, bagging on the Utes after their win and predicting a y blowout over UVa, and that's all he's got? Weak!

• Hugh G. Hater Swat Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 4:57 p.m.

Bronco Mendenhall is a joke.
    But hey, he got BYU their big ESPN contract money so he isn't going anywhere.
    Expect offensive mediocrity to be the new norm (regardless of the OC).

• youtefan Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 4:57 p.m.

JmTms...Why do you care? You are not any different than a utah
    fan or a jump off the BYU fan wagon when you make negative comments! Commenting is fun...it is tough for anyone to lose but your loss is not a Utah commenters fault! Just have fun with this! Just say'n

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 4:57 p.m.

Too bad BYU doesn't have the power it used to on offense. The defense has been great. But the offense has been pathetic for many years...and this year looks to be no different. Not sure how they'll ever get that magic again. Thank goodness I still have the memories of those great years when BYU would actually move down a field.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 4:51 p.m.

From a Ute fan, just want to tell the real BYU fans on here not to get your heads down. I watched the whole game because one of my roommates is starting this year, and the defense looks solid. It will be hard to know for sure until the Texas game, but when the D is that good you're in every game, even against the better teams you'll have on the schedule.

The O line is the biggest problem, but if you weren't planning on the type of expectations the local media sets each year, there's still hope for a decent, fun year.

I would love nothing more than to see BYU make some adjustments and somehow suprise Texas. There's always a chance right? Good luck this season!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 4:42 p.m.

What a horrific offensive performance from BYU. A quarterback completing 13 of 40 passes after we were all told by local media and BYU "fans" that he was an upgrade from Riley Nelson. Hardly. Offensive line is slow and LOST.

The BYU defense played pretty well but until the Y plays a team with the talent to test the defensive backs, we wont know for sure.

Anae's play calling is still very predictable.

The preseason predictions from BYU "fans" and local media --- as always the product is no where close to the hype.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 4:24 p.m.

All this is too amusing. Love it

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 1, 2013 4:17 p.m.

Note to Bronco: NEVER use the word GRITTY in public again. It stirs up too many painful memories of the debacles of the riiley years.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 3:46 p.m.

My takes

Defense is good, virginia didn't sustain a single drive the entire game. The field goal was over 50 yards and the 2 td's were set up by the offense turning it over and virginia taking possession inside the 20.

I do not like the offense. In my opinion if they had simply spent a little bit more time in between some of the plays they may have had better results, but they were running around like chickens with their heads cut off making mistakes rushing things.

The last 3 years have been a non stop parade of bone headed mistakes, poor execution, and offensive blundering. They canned all of the offensive coaches after last season and yet those same bungling mistakes are still being made. When will there be accountability for this?

The defense had not allowed a drive all game, not one, why the pass at the end that got picked? Run the ball anae, take off some more clock, and then punt it downfield. You had a 4 point lead. What idiocy to call that play.

• hockiechick Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 1, 2013 3:43 p.m.

Is it too late to change "honor" "tradition" and "spirit" to "interception" "fumble" and "incompletion"?

• slcjimmy SLC, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 3:40 p.m.

Ok. Bring on all of "The PAC 10.2" comments now Cougie fans. We all love it up here on The Hill. Much better then Independence 0.0! Since your season is done & over with, possibly you all will be able to now see the benefits of being a member of a power conference no matter how much it hurts! Chris B what do you think? Ha-Ha! UVA. Are you serious? Are they not picked to finish almost dead last in The ACC?

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2013 3:18 p.m.

The ESPN exposure is exaggerated. ESPN 3 is not on most cable packages around the country. When on ESPN U yesterday you got more exposure than you did once the weather delay and restart of the game came back on. During the two plus hours when play was suspended, the updates and coverage was extremely limited. Then when the game came back on, is was moved to ESPN 3. Direct TV didn't even play the game without the back network option. ESPN U abandoned the game even in Utah and Virginia.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 3:18 p.m.

Go fast, go hard, go home...... get a new plan, this one doesn't work...

• clehman Sandy, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 3:15 p.m.

Still no worf. Hmm.

• FLbyuNation Gainesville, FL
    Sept. 1, 2013 3:03 p.m.

Definitely a tough way to lose an opener to a season with so much hype surrounding it. Defense was good as expected but offense was painful to watch at times. Having Hoffman would have changed the entire game, none of the other receivers seemed to even want the ball. That'll be fixed before next week! Hill obviously struggled but he is and will be better than Nelson. Hes got amazing athleticism and a strong arm, he also has much better accuracy than he showed yesterday. All these doom and gloom comments are pathetic, one game means nothing. Its gonna be a great season! Very excited to watch BYU and the rest of the PAC 12 steam roll the trick playing, penalty saving utes. again! Go BYU & USU!!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 1, 2013 3:01 p.m.

Salt Lake City, UT

"First of many losses for the year. BYU only can win teams that were in the former WAC and MWC. I use to be a huge supporter and fan of BYU football. I am no longer. I am so tired of their arrogance and self-righteous attitude. And BYU's fans are some of the most ignorant and rude fans in college football. Being at LaVell Edward's Stadium is not fun. Best to all of you BYU fans. I would suggest their is more to life. Give the money and time you spend on BYU football to a much more worthy cause."

Utterly priceless! Go Cavs! LOL

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Sept. 1, 2013 2:56 p.m.

Watching these "highlights" made me want to puke. The Y pretty much gifted this game away. I think that Hill will have a much better game against Texas, and I fully expect a very competative contest that will be decided by a big play late. I'm looking for a deep toss to a very motivated Apo.....

Sept. 1, 2013 2:02 p.m.

@eagle - your comments really baffle me. Based on what you saw Saturday vs Virginia what would lead you to believe the Y could beat Texas, ND, or Boise State? "BYU could upset Texas because they play Texas well" but then you say the BSU game is winnable. Doesn't BSU play the Y pretty well, as is always winning the games? I admire you hope but not your realistic assessment of the future.

For all the realistic Y fans, here is my comment (which you are more than free to ignore). The loss to VA was difficult because they are not a good team and the Y clearly outplayed them. Your team needs to get some offense working or it will be a long season regardless of the talent on defense. Hill may be a good QB or may be R. Nelson part II but it is too early to make that call. If the pass at the end of the game is completed, drive continues and game over. Wasn't that bad of a call but more of a bad break to get the INT.

• FanOfAllTeamsFromOURstate PG, CA
    Sept. 1, 2013 1:46 p.m.

Its one game. Sure, it was a winnable game - but the season's not over. And Utah didn't look that great agains USU (although they did get the win), so when I hear someone say the fate of the Utah-BYU game is already decided - I don't agree. The Cougars played a good team for week one - one from a legit conference - and they played in Virginia. Playing on the east coast is a challenge. Clearly the game against Texas is going to be a challenge, but after that they have two weeks - TWO WEEKS - to game plan and prepare against the Utes. That game is going to be a hard fought game. When was the last time the either team had a string of 4 straight wins in the rivalry? It just doesn't happen that often.

• Cougrrr Beaufort, SC
    Sept. 1, 2013 1:35 p.m.

I really like Taysom Hill. He is a better athlete and has way higher upside than Riley Nelson. With that said, Riley Nelson would have won that game last night, and that is hard for me to accept. Riley would have run much more than Hill. If Hill runs that ball 5 to 10 times more than he passed, we would have won. That game was ours. But, everyone is right on with their comments. We play like that we won't even beat Utah, and Texas may make it ugly...although they have their own consistency issues. The problem with our offense, and any offense, is that it all begins on the O-line, and ours wasn't good enough yesterday. If Hill can just run the ball or put in a lot more time throwing in practice with his receivers, I think we'll be ok. Hoffmann obviously needs to play so we can have a receiver who is capable of catching errant throws. And, I really don't like throwing to JD Falslev so much...he is not a big target and Hill is not that accurate yet. Etc, etc, etc.

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 1:27 p.m.

Bronco should have brought Gary Crowton back as OC instead of Anae.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 1:22 p.m.

I see the Utah game being a dogfight because most of these games are. A great rivalry that should be continued and not suspended for a year or two ever.

Utah State will be a good game. Points on the board will be necessary. Keeton is legit and it will be hard to hold the Aggies down like last year.

I could BYU pulling the Texas upset because they seem to play Texas well or Texas doesn't play BYU well. Having the game at home will be hard.

Wisconsin, that's a tough one. Not only does Gary Andersen know the Cougs, well has a lot more talent to play with than when he was at Utah State. Beating the badgers in Wisconsin will be a hard feat.

Boise State look bad, that's probably a winnable game. The Broncos have lost a bit of their luster lately.

ND--Well, that game is winnable.

Bottom line, BYU's defense can keep them in any game but the offense has to step up for them to win any of the games above. It seems like another 8-5 season is likely but it will better than last year with this schedule.

• FanOfAllTeamsFromOURstate PG, CA
    Sept. 1, 2013 1:21 p.m.

Lets be a little more level-headed about this. Virginia is a good team - they play in a better conference thus their record doesn't show so well, but they were a good team to schedule and a win against them would have been legit.

The defense played well - but not great. And while they can't really be happy with the offense, they need to look in the mirror on this one. They were put in bad positions twice - and failed twice. D, you can't give up touch downs on turnovers. Had the defense held on either of the two short field scenarios (and by that I mean FGs), BYU gets the win. Just saying…

As far as gloom and doom… well, you can't be happy by an opening week loss. But there are 11 games left. And while Texas is going to be a challenge, the UTES look 50/50 (and the Cougars have two weeks to practice for them) and then the season gets easier. Cheer up, a lot of football left.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2013 1:20 p.m.

Nothing good for the States of Utah and Idaho this weekend. BYPHEW and Anae's offense was OFFENSIVE. In fact it stunk. Boise States' offense was even more OFFENSIVE. It plain reeked. Boise State will not see the top 25 again for a long, long time (maybe never), and the outlook for BYPHEW, Whit's under-performing Utah and Chuckie's Utah State don't look much better. Chuckie may have a chance, but BYPHEW and Whit's under-performers NOT this year and things don't look too favorable for years to come.

• softbear Olympia, WA
    Sept. 1, 2013 12:48 p.m.

Ok, we lost! Nothing new and surely not the last time but the questions we should be asking is why? A couple of things stand out to me:

1. ineffective running inside--but we continued to do it. When we went outside we gained yards.
    2. Lack of use of the TE. A trade mark of BYU football,yet he wasn't even thrown to as I remember
    3. Play call with time running out--pass??
    4. Why didn't we stick with the diamond formation, even the announcers was it was effective
    5. Yes the defense played well, but to many missed tackles behind the lines.
    6. Probably with "Play fast, Play hard" which I like is you give the ball back to the other team more quicker and more often if you don't succed.

Of course all of this is hindsight but should be considered going forth. Think we will improve and should finish with a good year. If we beat any 2 of these teams all will be forgotten--Utah,Bosie State, Texas, Utah State or Wisconsin. It's early don't panic yet and Utah "all glory is lost" things change quickly in this game.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 1, 2013 12:24 p.m.

After shutting off the BYU game, I watched UW dismantle Boise State. Sark shortened the play list, set up a signal system and ran Boise out of town. Looked a lot like what Anae tried to do. Here's the difference: Price is a senior and a really good passer. Really good. Hill is a sophomore and not a really good passer. Yet. Sark has a good running back, Anae has a good running back. The play calling was different, Sark called more pass plays, Anae more running plays.

UW's defense gave up a lot of yards, but Boise did not get into the endzone. BYU's defense gave up few yards and UVA's scoring came off turnovers. UW did not turn the ball over. BYU did.

Late in the game, Sark slowed the offense down. Anae kept the pedal down. Even with a 4 point lead and only 3 min left on the clock.

The difference? Quarterback and receivers - Boise and UW both have better QB play and receivers.
    The difference? Situational play calling - Sometimes you have to put on the brakes to avoid steering off the cliff.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 12:15 p.m.

re: eagle 9:25 p.m. Aug. 31,

"I thought when BYU canned Doman, Dupaix and Cahoon that a high-flying office and national title were imminent. What happened?"

Reality & Bronco Mendenhall.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 11:59 a.m.

The defense is fine. If they want to do their "cutesy" thing to come onto the field, I'm all for it. They just held a team to just over 200 total yards, which is great in college football these days. I'm sure BYU will be in the Top 10, maybe the Top 5 statistically in total defense after this game on a national level. Whatever they are doing seems to be working.

As for the offense, huddle up. The OL is out of shape and can't play at this pace. I heard one time from a good coach that "good things happen in a huddle." This is where players demand better out of others, get and give information to the QB, gives coaches sometimes more time to think before they call the next play and sometimes players a time to just relax their brain for a few seconds. To do no huddle, you have to have the right personnel and the right coaches that can think on the fly. I'm not sure it fits BYU.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 11:41 a.m.

"I guess the good news is we weren't as bad as Boise State & Oregon state...whatever. The air has come out of any hope I had for a decent season."

Cougsndawgs...I generally find your posts insightful and fair. After reading this line my thought was, "gracious, you people learn slow."

How do you know byu isn't as bad as OSU or BSU? Your comment is a perfect example of the nonsense that byu fans have been saying for the last two months. Did byu play EW? No. Did byu play the Huskies? NO. How do you know byu isn't as bad as OSU or BSU??

I watched the OSU game and they can certainly light up a scoreboard. EW is no joke. What was odd is that neither team had a defense last night. As for BSU...byu can prove they are better than BSU when they play this year.

What is abundantly clear is that byu lost, in embarrassing fashion, to a really bad Virginia team. Maybe you should leave it at that.

Sept. 1, 2013 11:14 a.m.

Here we go again. I blame the coaching for this loss. Who in their right mind wouldn't have punted the ball away and turned the game over to the defense for the win? The Offense really gave the game to Virginia. Anae's play calling was inept, the O-line is about as bad or worse than last year, the receivers dropped balls, Taysom Hill was largely inaccurate, special teams were not all that "special, and this offense is not the BYU offense of old as advertised. Again, there has been all kinds of talk, and not much to talk about afterwards. It is going to be a long year.

AND, I am tired of all Bronco's "We need to learn and get better" speeches. That kind of talk is what the off-season is for. In the end, we will be lucky to be 4-8. If the coaching staff doesn't pick it up, we can forget any consideration of being included in the new league that is coming. We were totally inept.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Sept. 1, 2013 10:54 a.m.

Fire Anae now. Seriously. The offense was gassed and unable to turn it on when needed. And stop the cutesy line up on the sideline and rush onto the field. Get the players out there and let them fire off on a play, when it counts. How many times can you bunch everyone into the center zone and try to run up the middle. Sheesh. Predictable. Ineffective. The D looked decent btw.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 10:52 a.m.

Wow, one loss and BYU fans are rushing to the escape pods to abandon the ship.

Calls to bench the starting QB--CHECK
    Threats to sell season tickets--CHECK
    Rumblings of finding new coordinators and coaches--CHECK

Most reasonable fans knew this would be a tough year for BYU. There is no reason BYU can't put this loss behind them and still have a good year. I guess outside fans will get to know the names of the third, fourth, and fifth-string QBs now. To the provocateurs that have gone silent now, I am glad Virginia won. To the classy BYU posters, shake it off and bounce back. Don't give up the ship when the first cannon is fired.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 10:39 a.m.

@BYU Joe

"Utah fans have poor sportsmanship, no class about a game they didn't even play in."

But BYU Joe, just a couple days ago you commented on a Utah article "I am sorry I missed this game. It was not on ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN 3 or even the Ocho. I wonder why, given the Utes status in the PAC 12. I figured every game they play would be on TV.

Maybe the Big Colorado - Utah game at the end of the season will make it onto the tube.

Oh well. I'll just have to watch BYU v Virginia tomorrow."

I guess that was your idea of classy sportsmanship?

• Giga Watt PROVO, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:52 a.m.

If Byu can't beat Virginia, they won't beat Utah. Take it to the bank: Utah beats byu this year by 14+ pts.

Sept. 1, 2013 9:51 a.m.

Wow, Joe, you can sure (try to) dish it, but can't take it, can you? Cheer up, as one of the tweets posted on the article yesterday stated, Basketball season is only 53 days away!

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:39 a.m.

"Ute fans continue to be bad sport, talking smack about BYU whenever they have a chance. I am sure they feel classy and good about their sportsmanship in game they did not even play in."

Skin a little thin, eh? Evidently you missed the plethora of y fans bagging on Utah aricles after the Utes' win and predicting a blowout victory for your cougs. What goes around . . .

• Hugh Janis South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:36 a.m.

Hey JM. Go read the Utah articles and see how many cougar fans post the same garbage. Most of the ute fans posting in this board are just calling out those so called cougar fans that we're saying how easy it was going to be to beat the Utes and the Aggies. Now those so called fans are MIA.

• rushfari@isu.edu Pocatello, ID
    Sept. 1, 2013 9:07 a.m.

I know that everyone expected the new offense to struggle while the players got used to it but at first glance, I don't like it. It's as if there isn't enough time to plan out the plays in the drive.

Hope I'm wrong.

Regarding Taysom, he went to our local high school and saw him play most every game in his career here. I want him to succeed.

That said, he hasn't shown me he's going to be an accurate passer. The ball doesn't zip out of his hand.

Again, hope I'm wrong.

• Darth Vader Ogden, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 8:44 a.m.

Virginia was picked to finish 12th in the ACC this year. Last year they won 4 games.

Toughest schedule in BYU history... good luck boys, you are going to need it.

Hopefully you can show up next week without the excuses and be ready to play hard, fast and smart. If you do drop the game to Texas, try congratulating them for a good game and give them credit as required.

• UC Baller Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 8:41 a.m.

Don't blame a wet ball...Hill was awful.

Last year I saw the Timpview HS QB Lloyd throw darts all day against East in the semis last year in a freaking blizzard and puddles. 85% he was. Granted different levels, but don't tell me a good QB can't adjust. Pathetic. Plus the O Line couldn't block my Grandma Betsy.

Let's get it together.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 8:32 a.m.

I'm selling my season tickets.
    I need the gas money.

I can't take another year of a stagnant offense...Riley Nelson Part Deux.
    2nd and one....pass...3 and out.
    2nd and 2....pass...3 and out.

Men paid six figures, who don't know when to take a knee and punt?
    Shades of Vegas Bowl vs UCLA.

Anae will never change.

Go ladies soccer!

Sept. 1, 2013 8:20 a.m.

Each BYU game I watch makes me laugh more and more over people calling 2011's and 2012's botched snaps against Utah "flukes." So did UVa win on a "fluke" again today because of a bad shotgun snap, something that seems to happen every time I watch this team? I don't know why BYU doesn't run 95% of its plays from under center because they have not had a center that can place a ball 5 yards behind him on a consistent basis for the last 5 years.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Sept. 1, 2013 8:17 a.m.

Once again the examples of incredible preparation, unmatched devotion, some of the most highly touted recruits in the nation and coaching staff without peer have shown and given us cause to reflect and hope that "there's always next year".

• JmThms Henderson, NV
    Sept. 1, 2013 6:09 a.m.

This offense has made NO progress since last year. It is still pathetic. The offensive line has to be one of the worst in all of college football. Overall, still, the offense has no rhythm, no offensive line, and thus no consistent production. Truly pathetic.

• JmThms Henderson, NV
    Sept. 1, 2013 6:05 a.m.

Again, why do Ute fans, or should I say anti-BYU fans, take the time to post on BYU articles? Why, again, don't they find enough interest in their own team to post on their team's articles? That should be embarrassing for them. Really, in the end I think this is probably just psychology 101. Of course my questions are rhetorical. We all know why they behave that way.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 5:15 a.m.

Lucky we have Pac 12 Football in this State.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 4:10 a.m.

“I would say he was gritty and tough,” he said of Hill.

Okay, so now we know that not much has changed from last season. Still finding creative ways to give games away. So much for "execution". At least this "gritty and tough" QB didn't turn the ball over as much as the last one did.

• CougarForever Holladay, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2013 1:49 a.m.

It is utterly premature to draw any conclusions from this unfortunate encounter in Virginia. The game with Texas will provide a more reliable yardstick of just where this team stands. I remain cautiously optimistic. One can hope that the Longhorns team that played the first 1 1/2 quarters against New Mexico State shows up in Provo next weekend.

• manutd San Diego, CA
    Sept. 1, 2013 1:45 a.m.

was looking forward to a good season. still think it is too early to declare gloom and doom yet. it was just one game people. there are plenty of games left with a chance to make it respectable. i know you ute fans are loving it but lets wait a few weeks and see what happens then. byu/utah game is almost always close. dont see it being different this year. i also dont see utah or utah state as head and shoulders above byu. we

didnt mind the rehire of anae but offense looks pretty predictable, again.

riley, i mean hill may yet prove himself but he needs his receivers to make plays. cant blame it all on him.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 1, 2013 1:25 a.m.

Was it Honor, Tradition, Or Spirit that threw that interception?

• UteinIdaho Sandpoint, ID
    Sept. 1, 2013 12:30 a.m.

6 wins looks like a stretch. Lets be honest, Virginia's D looked really good. Lots of good blitz packages. With that said, Virginia's offense just might be the worst I've ever seen. Their dual threat QB cannot throw the ball, and he's scared to take a hit. Their O looked like a high school team.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 12:12 a.m.

I'm obviously disappointed. I'm tired of the crap we are fed preseason only to watch the same if not worse offense we BYU fans saw all last year. Defense looks solid, and thank goodness they will keep BYU in games, again. In for another year of defensive battles and boring offense. New year, new coaches, new system, same result. I'm tired of it...being a BYU fan is becoming more and more frustrating and difficult. I'm sick to my stomach.

I expected to have patience, and was realistic enough to know that it would take time to get the offense going, but I saw nothing today to give me any confidence that we aren't looking at the same one-sided, yawner games we became all too accustomed to last year. I guess the good news is we weren't as bad as Boise State & Oregon state...whatever. The air has come out of any hope I had for a decent season. Just hoping we can actually make the Kraft bowl now...shaking my head...whatever. Thank goodness there's still life without football.

Sept. 1, 2013 12:12 a.m.

oh how I sometimes hate football. In a flash you feel on top of the world and then suddenly you are yelling at the TV "whatever you do - don't pass."

Then there is a pass and a pick and a single play for a touchdown and I'm having to see how the Ute bloggers are on our backs yet again.

Virginia got it done - Good for them. BYU defense played solid and the offense still has a ways to go.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2013 12:02 a.m.

Look at the bright side, at least you can hold your head up high since you didn't need a "trick play" or "15 yard penalties" to win the game.

Sometimes better teams don't win. That is clearly the case here since Virginia is expected to finish #12 in ACC.

Go fast, go furious!

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:55 p.m.

To absolutely NO ONE's surprise...

Where is Ducky?

Where is Sammy?

Where is Bluto?

Where is CougFaninTX?

In typical "run and hide" fashion, the big mouth Coog fans aren't coming anywhere near the boards after a loss like this.

...to Virginia, a completely mediocre and inexperienced ACC team.

Of course, Ducky will show up in 2 weeks and claim he was on a "business trip" in El Paso. Ha ha ha ha ha!

What happens when you get to the meat of your schedule? Texas, Wisconsin, Notre Dame?

My oh my.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:41 p.m.

• clehman Sandy, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:40 p.m.

Let's see:

Virginia managed to play in the rain just fine.
    And your top receiver was out for the game?
    Big deal. So was ours. Difference is we won.

Excuses, excuses.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:34 p.m.

I see that BYU shares the bottom feeder slot of the Independent Conference with Idaho, New Mexico St., and Old Dominion. Who will win first?

• Clark W. Griswold Sandy, Utah
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:34 p.m.

I thought BYU doesn't lose to conference "bottom dwellers"? Ouch! This one has got to hurt!

Looks like Utah is the best team in the state right now!

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:31 p.m.

South Jordan, UT
    Come on folks. This was Hill's first start since early last year. Ir was raining throughout the last three quarters.

It's really the defense's fault-if they had held UVA to say, three points, the team would have won.

Wait a minute: the defense did hold UVA to three points!

Blame the rain! LOL!

Aug. 31, 2013 11:14 p.m.

After all of the trash talking Utah fans had to endure in the days leading up to Utah's game on Thursday at the hands of certain BYU fans, Utah then staged a dramatic comeback against a very good Utah State team. It showed a lot of guts on Utah's part against a terrific quarterback. But then we still had to endure excuses and trash from BYU fans.

And now, BYU gets totally embarrassed by a below-average 4-8 Virginia team. My question is this: Where are all of those fans now? worf? duckhunter? sammy? tom in ca? tators? toosmartforyou? bluto?

Come on, guys, you have some legitimate explaining to do.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:07 p.m.

I beg to differ that Hill did well. I knew there would be growing pains, but he was awful tonight. He made Riley Neilson look like a Heisman Trophy candidate tonight. I know the weather was a factor but the receivers missed multiple passes as well. Very disappointing.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:57 p.m.

I think the Y is finally seeing the results of being shut out of a major conference. Recruits are sub-par. That pretty much says it all. No coach and eek out wins from mediocre talent. A great year going forward will simply be a winning season and the Y can always pad its schedule with enough patsy's to garner 6 wins. The program will always pack the stadium year in and year out no matter the record unlike other schools. No worries mates!!

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:52 p.m.

From the relays (where did you get them since ESPN reneged on their announcement that the game would be shown in UT?) the QB looked just like Riley except his "receivers" looked inept.

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:51 p.m.

To quote Bill Reilly: "Dennis Erickson 4 minute offense > Robert Anae 4 minute offense"

• Carson Provo, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:51 p.m.

Special thanks to Sammy, Ducky and a few others Because after all of your posts about the Utes, I can really relate to Jackie Gleason saying "How Sweet It Is"!

• greatbam22 andrews afb, MD
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:44 p.m.

I don't fault Hill for not having the stats that others are saying he should have and dooming him. He had a number a great passes that the receivers simply didn't catch. It really could have been 50 / 50.

Play calling was horrendous. It was like seriously run the ball up the middle every flipping play?

I still have some hope that anae will get some sort of clue before next time. Offense was horrendous. Defense did pretty well this game.

• MurrayMike Murray, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:29 p.m.

Well, Lets see if this makes it past the "big brother". Why oh why would Robert Anae, or Bronco call for a 3rd down pass with 2:50 left in the game? Why or why would you not run an end around by Hill? Even if you don't make the 1st down, at least you can punt the ball and pin Virginia back. The defense had held them in check most the game. If this is the play calling we're gonna get this year, it's gonna be a long, long year.

• russhoops OGDEN, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:17 p.m.

If you going to run a passing offense, one of the necessities is that you have receivers that can catch the ball. Receivers weren't like the receivers of the past who made their quarterback look good. Many of those incomplete passes should have been caught. It was a disappointing loss, but we will see how well the Cougs recover and get ready for Texas!

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:12 p.m.

Sorenson made the Chargers roster. Weddle says he looks very strong.

Aug. 31, 2013 10:10 p.m.

Ignoring the comments from pseudo BYU fans, I save this serious comment from mindgames in Auroro CO yesterday.

"The Y is loaded in those positions and they will win handily tomorrow and the 10-2 record for the season will be sooooo good."

Your first prediction wasn't even close and the second prediction about a 10-2 record seems laughable at this point.

The offense needs to step up and quickly or a 6 win season might be more realistic.

• Wasatch Al South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:54 p.m.

After suffering through 95 BYU football articles in the Deseret News the past six weeks, this is all we got!

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:49 p.m.

The suu quarterback is number 3 in the state. Is his name Cantu? Last year Sorenson was the best quarterback in the state. Did he make the Chargers squad?

• youtefan Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:49 p.m.

I told you you not to be to quick to judge!!! You hadn't seen your Cougars play and you were making predictions for the whole year!! Just say'n....

• C topher Rexburg, ID
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:46 p.m.

That was certainly a horrific game but I really think we should take some time and reflect on what went right and what we have to look forward to.

Okay so first.....

Never mind.

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:44 p.m.

So I'm watching in the first quarter and thinking why are they doing a running play every first down. Then I remember, this is what Anae did last time. He was predictable.

I wonder if BYU practiced in the rain at all in the fall or spring. Did they go inside every time it rained?

Also wondering if they gave the players any food during the 2 hour delay. Seems the pre game meal would have worn off by the time they got back out there again.

I chuckled when I saw all the bravado in the comments by fellow cougar fans prior to the game.

Aug. 31, 2013 9:40 p.m.

golfrUte, Cantu looked better for SUU the other night than Hill did for BYU today. I don't expect that to be the case all season long, but as of today Hill is 4th in state in a tight race for 3rd with an FCS QB.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:39 p.m.

Headline: "BYU Offense Snatches Defeat from the Jaws of Victory."

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:25 p.m.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:22 p.m.

"Where in the gosh darn toothpicks is the Duckster?. I cannot believe he has gone silent."

Looks like ducky headed for Tulsa earlier than usual. Perhaps worf, toosmart, taters and the other usual y "fans" are with him.

• Osmos Hyrum, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:21 p.m.

Taysom Hill = Riley 2.0. Don't you get nostalgic for when BYU had qb's who could hit an open target rather than throw it at their feet or over their head? Sad to see a once fearsome offence coached into the ground.

After game 1 either Utah or Utah St. would be 14 point favorites over the Y.

• GilmerTexasCougar Gilmer, TX
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:12 p.m.

Basically the offense gave up 16 points while scoring 16 points. You can't win that way. On many plays the offensive line could have just fallen to the ground when the ball was snapped and done just as well. In defense of Hill, probably 10 passes were dropped. The interception should have been caught, so the interception was not Hill's fault. Many, many times red jerseys were in the backfield by the time the ball got there. And the special teams had some terrible plays. Unless a lot of progress happens I can see a 4th consecutive loss to Utah. I was expecting much more out of the 2013 Cougars. If it weren't for the defense this would be an 8 or 10 loss season.

• C topher Rexburg, ID
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:09 p.m.

That was pathetic. It's one thing to lose a hard fought game but quite another to have an embarrassing showing like that. That was absolutely a winnable game. For the most part I think USU fans can/should be proud of their team's execution. As a BYU fan, I didn't see anything that got me excited. As much as I HATE to say it, if we play like that we're lookin at 0-3 come the 21st.

• EJM Herriman, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:09 p.m.

I love reading these comments. Go Utes!

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:09 p.m.

In State QB Rankings:

1. Keeton
    2. Wilson
    3. Hill (A very distant 3rd.)

• 86&90UTE Holladay, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:03 p.m.

Sorry, Couger fans, on a tough loss. But I swear Taysom Hill was Riley Nelson reincarnated today. I think with that porous offensive line, Hill, and BYU are in trouble when facing faster defenses. But, I have to admit that your defense rocks!

Aug. 31, 2013 8:51 p.m.

worf. Where you at? Utah is 1-0, BYU is 0-1, what happened? Is Chuckie still "tied" with Taysom?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:51 p.m.

"I'd like to see you guys throw the ball in the rain. Taysom Hill will be ok and he is still a great quarterback....."

Ok... I am a BYU fan... but what..... it was only rainy for one team, not the other? Are we actually saying the rain only effected one team? Good grief, I know Utah has been in a drought, but this is a new one.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:49 p.m.

Well, well, well. What a surprising turn of events.

worf, you couldn't wait to comment on Utah's WIN the other night. Where is your comment tonight after BYU's LOSS?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:48 p.m.

Hill is exactly what I thought - a running QB trying to learn to throw. The Y is in for a long season...again. He was 13-35 passing ...terrible. Don't fault Anae - he recruited the starting QB at Kansas this year. Hill is a good athlete and would be better served playing receiver or tail back....but being a drop back QB really beings in High School with few exceptions. The only QB I can recall who was actually able to change himself was Steve Young. Hill is only a Soph so maybe he will improve. Its going to take time to right the ship after Doman ruined it. The Texas game is gong to be ugly. Texas 35 BYU 13

• Informed Voter South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:48 p.m.

Sadly, I fell for all the hype about go fast & hard, a herd of great receivers, a stable of strong running backs, great ise of tight ends, & high scoring...this game was a total let down. Where were the tight ends that were supposed to be used so well? Now, I am reminded what Anae was like 3 years ago: boring and predictable. Will not be hard to forget the forgettable offensive line. Maybe Doman feels some redemption.

• oaklandaforlife SLC, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:47 p.m.

Where in the gosh darn toothpicks is the Duckster?. I cannot believe he has gone silent. Look forward to a 4 and 8 season. Quack, Quack. Tonight's loss looked terrible. 'O" line cannot keep up with their upcoming opponents. Don't blame the rain as you normally would.

Go Raiders!!

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:46 p.m.

Wait a minute: the defense did hold UVA to three points!

• Koloss Hampton, VA
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:46 p.m.

After losing a game almost everyone thought they would win by 20 is there any hope for BYU? As for the people thinking Texas is struggling against New Mexico State, the current score is 35-7.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:45 p.m.

Last year all over again. Lots of talk, lots of promises, great on paper...Bronco's methods all over again. We'll go 0-3 if we play like we did today.

Aug. 31, 2013 8:42 p.m.

I am one of the most optimistic Cougar fans I know, but I think BYU will be lucky to go 6-6, unless the offense can fix its problems.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:41 p.m.

...and the ball was in a puddle before Hill threw it. Just can't get a break.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:39 p.m.

I blame it on the Utah media. All spring and all fall all I heard was how good they were and how tough the schedule was and all the skill players, defense will not allow any scores and fast and furious will have the defenses so tired the great skilled offense will score with ease. Now reality sets in and Hill couldn't start for any team we play, the defense was OK against an average team, special teams were not very good. No wonder no one trusts what the media says.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:37 p.m.

Not a surprise!

Down year for BYU in football and basketball, I guess. Hmmmm. The cross country teams look good and I do enjoy watching the women play volleyball and hoops.

I hope the golf teams continue to improve . . .

• Jenny83 Logan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:32 p.m.

Virginia won 4 games last year and they are worse this year. BYU is no good!

Aug. 31, 2013 8:33 p.m.

Jake... yes 12-1 IS unrealistic. Hahahah that was the best thing I read all day! After today's showing, Utah has a better chance at a 14-0 season than BYU does at a 12-1 season. Neither one will happen.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:20 p.m.

You're right - I'm sure Y fans will be feeling fine in December. That's because you'll be just finished up with the WAC portion of your schedule, you'll be on a five game win streak, and Taysom "13-for-40" Hill will be putting up 600 yards per game. Since BYU fans have notoriously poor short-term memory, let me remind you how this works.

You guys proclaim yourselves national champions in August, get humbled through September when you play the decent portion of your schedule (and talk about firing your coach, QB, and offensive coordinator), then think you're unstoppable in November when you play nothing but Directional Idaho schools. After rolling those patsies and having forgotten how bad you were earlier in the year, you start circling the wagons for another national championship run the following year.

So yeah, I'd say in December you guys will be feeling mighty fine.

• Glfklee Santa Fe, NM
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:18 p.m.

Sorry but I didn't see the goods as advertised throughout spring and fall:

O-line still slow and "soft"
    Tayson is not a play maker a-la Chuck-E
    I guess PLAY FAST! meant line up fast...That's it.

BYU today looks like the same product from the past several years. Which means making frustrating mistakes at inopportune times, Cougs have got to dominate from start to finish, and be prepared to play starting with game 1.

No excuses here. And congrats to the Utes for Thursday's win. (Great game to watch, by the way!) But, regardless, still pulling for the Cougars to sort it out.

• EightOhOne St. George, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:18 p.m.

lol, what happened to the "national fanbase"?? its bad enough getting relegated to espnU, but then to get demoted AGAIN to espn3??? ouch. thank goodness texas is upgrading you to the deuce, otherwise it may be onto espn deportes!

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:15 p.m.

From first results, I'm thinking BYU fans have a lot to worry about. Maybe they can lower their worry time about how well our Utes are doing and devote that time finding a way they can win a game.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:15 p.m.

Let us not get so caught up in the sting of today's defeat that we lose hope for a whole season... There are still 12 games on the schedule pending a total collapse and dismal season like just after Crowton took over... 13-0 has been denied... But 12-1 is still realistic! I do not have unrealistic expectations for games against U, GTech, Notre Dame, Texas, Wisconsin, or UState etc... I am just cognizant of a great season is still one to be had... So, let's learn the lessons from today's heartbreak and move forward one game at a time and turn each of them starting September 8th into wins! GO DO IT!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:10 p.m.

I think we can still win at least a Heisman and in the running for a National title. We can finish almost undefeated and be No. #1.
    There were bad ref calls against us and Virgina is one of the top teams in the nation.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:07 p.m.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:04 p.m.

Two words UG LEE!

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:01 p.m.

Another last minute goaline failure by BYU...agreed, it will be a long season. Virginia's big men pulverized our defense.

• JustTheTruthMan bountiful, ut
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:59 p.m.

Excuses? Who can get past the calling of or initiating a pass play on 3rd and 6 with so little game time remaining? Before that errant selection how many touchdowns had Virginia scored? How threatening was a punt return? Yes, there are no excuses, only many answers needed to many many questions... In the end though a loss is a loss and a weakening of each opponent's schedule... That includes U! Especially so after Oregon State lost to Eastern Washington in Corvallis today... Weber State is looking to be the best team out of the first 4 for U and I don't know that this is anything to get too boastful about... On the flip side there can still be a 12-1 team from Utah this season... One loss does not a season define... So, go ahead ute trolls... Get all your loling out now and we will see who's crying now in December!

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:54 p.m.

Please tell me there is a Plan B.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:53 p.m.

I'm mildy surprised worf hasn't alredy posted his default excuse: "The better team doesn't always win."

But Maybe that's because even he knows the better team DID win this one.

• sinkme Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:52 p.m.

So Doman leaving Riley in all year was actually the correct (non) move. He has to be quietly laughing right now. I know "one game does not a QB make". But you can tell when below average is below average. They weren't playing against an Alabama or LSU type defense. I'm never one to bash 21 year old kids who are playing their guts out. But a guy was fired and this is what he gets replaced with?

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:50 p.m.

Well the good news is that BYU fans can make their bowl game plans now. Even if they lose to all six of the decent teams on their schedule they should win against the six Patsy's they have.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:47 p.m.

Surprising game. 93 offensive plays by BYU and 74 by Virginia and neither team cracks 20 points. Plus Virginia had the ball 34 minutes to 26 for BYU - even with 19 more plays for the Cougars.

With 360 total yards, I thought BYU would get more than 16 points. The average gains per play were pretty small though. It seemed like 3 yards and a cloud of mud for both teams. Maybe it was the weather, but then again, maybe the "play fast, play hard" philosophy isn't all its cracked up to be.

Hopefully BYU will adjust and get this to work. You aren't going to go far on 16 points a game.

• Adria Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:47 p.m.

Play hard and play fast and get 16 points? What? QB 13 for 40, What? All the local sports media talking heads guarenteed that BYU would win this game. Gonna be a long season. Texas next, ouch! Then Utes which are not a great team will be 50-50. Adrian Dantley

• well informed Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:44 p.m.

And this is why you should have gone to the NFL last year KVN and Hoffman.

• Y Grad Pumping Gas Beaver, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:41 p.m.

What happened to that Nitro, Go Fast Go Furious, 90 plays a game Offense.

Virginia's Defense was set way before the Offense was.

Wow, good luck Cougs

Aug. 31, 2013 7:39 p.m.

3. The defense was not as good as I was expecting. UVa's offense looked bad, and they really only tried to pass downfield on BYU once from what I saw (which they completed to set up the FG), but were still able to move the ball just enough to win. I don't expect KVN will whiff on many tackles this season, but he probably missed more in this game than he did all last season.

4. Special teams doesn't look good. If many of your games are as close as they were last year, I don't expect you'll win many of them.

I was very much anticipating the BYU game this year, thinking it could very well be the year the Cougs get us, but I'm a little more confident in the Utes now.

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:37 p.m.

It's gonna be a long season.

• Pragmatic Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:36 p.m.

• Still slow, still soft Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:36 p.m.

I love it!

Byu loses

Utah will make byu 0-3 !!

This is awesome!

I am so happy!

• riverofsun St.George, Utah
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:34 p.m.

Not to worry, BYU fans and friends.
    The odds of President Barack Obama causing the loss of each and every game of your season this year are quite small.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:33 p.m.

Here come the excuses.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:33 p.m.

So what have we learned from the first game?
    1. Robert Anae is as predictable and boring as ever.
    2. Go fast, go hard translates to 3 and out more often than not.
    3. Taysom Hill is an ineffectual passer. It's like seeing Riley Nelson reincarnated.
    4. It's going to be a very long and painful season for Cougar fans.

Aug. 31, 2013 7:31 p.m.

My takeaway (pun intended; too soon?) from the game:

1. Not only is BYU's O-Line bad again this year, it may be worse than last year's.

2. Taysom Hill is very athletic, very good to come in as a change of pace and surprise the defense some passing ability to go with strong and fast legs, but does not look like a starting, full-game QB. Even when he had time, 1/4 of his passes were in the dirt, several others off target one direction or the other (I can think of only one of these that was caught, a great adjustment by Matthews), many of these coming in crucial situations (the one that went off Williams' hands for the INT, the 3rd down play of the last possession). Having Hoffman may have won the game, but his completions probably would have only been around 50%, rather than 30%.

• Kaotic USA, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:30 p.m.

It looks as though BYU won't win the national championship now and is probably not the great team as advertised...

• BYU NATION Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:28 p.m.

• gb13 Herriman, Utah
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:27 p.m.

The defense cannot do it all! But with linemen that do not block, receivers that drop passes, questionable and continued "up-the-middle" for no gainers on critical downs, and other thing offensive - I guess we can call this a truely "Anae-mic" offense that must get better in order to win.

• bigv56 Cottonwood, CA
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:26 p.m.

Has there ever been a worse play call than that pass at that time in that weather with a4 pt lead and and an opponents inept offense?
    That call is a firing offense.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:24 p.m.

Tough loss for the cougs, good luck next week vs Texas

• Downtownchrisbrown ,
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:24 p.m.

Heartbreaking finish, they had the game in hand. At least it looked like the O-Line got better in the 4th quarter, let's hope they can continue that play next week.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:21 p.m.

Article quote: "BYU quarterback Taysom Hill completed 13-of-40 passes for 175 yards, one touchdown...."

Those numbers aren't gonna cut it. Hang in there, guys.

(BTW, lightning delays suck!)