Commentary: What BYU learned about Utah and USU this week

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    Sept. 2, 2013 12:04 p.m.

Worfster...welcome back homey! We missed you the last 24 hours...

Hill and Chucky in a tie!?? I trust you, so I searched all of the rosters if NCAA teams west of the Mississippi to check out this Hill you referenced to be as good as Keaton. Can't find one?

In fact, the only Hill QB who took a snap was from BYU... He was 13-40 for 180 yds. He went 0-8 in the two critical 4th Quarter drives, and then threw the game changing pick to give UVA the lead? Lastly, 51 of his 180 yds came on a Hail Mary with 5 seconds to play and all 12 VA players were lined up with heelson the goal line??

My only hope is that Ducky's jr high QB's name is Hill?? Not sure who else you could be thinking of...

T Hill just transferred to Kansas.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2013 11:50 p.m.

Salt Lake City, UT

Lafe Peavler wrote an article "What BYU learned about Utah and USU this week."
    Will there be a follow up article called "What Utah and USU learned about BYU this week"?
    Maybe the next logical article is "What BYU learned about BYU this week".

12 in series article:

"What BYU fans learned about playing a real schedule this week".

• clehman Sandy, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 6:48 p.m.

What BYU should have learned yesterday is that they won't beat either of those teams this year.

• Clark W. Griswold Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2013 3:14 p.m.

"What BYU learned about Utah and USU this week"

BYU learned that there are two instate teams that are better than them.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 1:38 p.m.

Lafe Peavler wrote an article "What BYU learned about Utah and USU this week."
    Maybe the next logical article is "What BYU learned about BYU this week".

Sept. 1, 2013 6:53 a.m.

steele, in case you haven't been around long, Ernest T. Bass (not ET Bass), is a tongue-in-cheek jester at all the over the top expectations of many BYU fans all rolled into one. Relax a little.

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 10:37 p.m.

How does that crow taste? You just lost to a team that won 4 games last year while Utah beat an 11 win team who will probably do the same this year. What that game proved to me is that BYU will get hammered by Utah and USU. Pwned!

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 8:04 p.m.

13 for 40 180 yds. 73.6 rating.

31 for 40 314 yds. 159 rating.

"...a tie with Hill..."?

Is that a feeling or do you have some info?

• jbohn Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 7:28 p.m.

300 yards on 28 throws. Call me when the qb down south can pull that off.

• Ironmomo Ogden, Utah
    Aug. 31, 2013 6:23 p.m.

Is that the same Sorensen who threw two picks in San Diego's pre-season finale against the 49er's?

As for Hill, the last time I checked in on the BYU/Virginia game he was 6-20 and less then a 100 yds. He could complete his next 20 passes in the game and still not equal the performance Mr Keeton had at Utah Thursday night.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 3:04 p.m.

What it proofed to me is we are way more awesome than utah or Aggies. We will really beet them good.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Aug. 31, 2013 1:21 p.m.

There are no trick plays. None. There are just plays, some unconventional. It's the responsibility of the defense to sport, cover and stop every play.

I'm a BYU fan and would rate USU as good as UTAH on technical aspects, albeit it not quite a strong late in the game so maybe slightly less physical as the game progressed. UTAH was not as impressive as one would have hoped for a team in the PAC, but wish them well just the same.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Aug. 31, 2013 12:34 p.m.

I was at the Utah USU game. Utah won, right? you wouldn't know it by the comments in this article.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Aug. 31, 2013 12:10 p.m.

I don't know what BYU learned about Utah and Utah State, but clearly many BYU fans didn't learn a thing.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 31, 2013 11:51 a.m.

American Fork, UT

That's what BYU learned from our game?

Not true, the trick play didn't shutout Utah State. It was Utah's defense.

Utah's defense woke up after the trick play:

USU ~85 yards and 3 points.

I hope your coaches learned more than that, if not look for Utah to take BYU to the woodshed.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 31, 2013 9:09 a.m.

As good as Chuckie Keeton is,--Sorenson was the best Utah quarterback last year. This year may be a tie with Hill.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2013 5:55 a.m.

"I thought the Aggies were homered by the refs."

Of course you did...you live in Utah County.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 31, 2013 2:30 a.m.

Kind of like the treatment the Utes got in Logan last year eh?

• Straitpath PROVO, UT
    Aug. 30, 2013 10:54 p.m.

I thought the Aggies were homered by the refs.

• staypuffinpc Provo, UT
    Aug. 30, 2013 10:44 p.m.

I tire of people harping on trick plays. It's like the British soldiers complaining about the colonies not battling the "proper" way with their guerrilla tactics. The goal of the offense is to trick the defense on every single play. Misdirections, lining up the same for multiple plays, pump fakes, etc. are all designed to "trick" the opponent. BYU's defense touts its ability to confuse the offense (dare I say that just means to "trick" them?).

I bleed blue through and through and I say kudos to the Utah coaches for knowing just which trick to use when momentum was swinging their way. I hope BYU can do the same to the Utes in a couple of weeks.

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Aug. 30, 2013 10:32 p.m.

And I know I already said it on a different article but after watching Keeton in person last night at the game I truly believe, excluding Marcus Mariota, that he is the best QB in the west.

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Aug. 30, 2013 10:21 p.m.

Good comments and observations on this article. It's nice to have civil conversation about the teams instead of getting at each other's throats. I'm really looking forward to see the next two rivalry games for the in-state teams. They should be fun to watch. And Go Utes!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 30, 2013 8:59 p.m.

Trick play?

It was brilliant. Scouted and executed perfectly.

If it comes down to a kick, I put my money on Phillips all day long. Kid has got what....dare is say... King Louie had.

The Behive Boot will be the Utes in a clean sweep.

Go Utes!

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Aug. 30, 2013 8:58 p.m.

They learned how easy it is to beat the aggies when they are overconfident.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 30, 2013 8:57 p.m.

Good take Y Dad. I think the BYU vs. USU game will be a shootout as well. That would be a far cry from last years 6-3 win for BYU.

For USU it's all Chuckie Keeton and he is amazing. Sure they have Fackerall and are spirited, but they lack size. Will BYU wear them out in the fourth quarter like Utah did. That was really a factor for Utah being able to bounce back after USU scored 20 unanswered points on them. That and Whitt and Sitake making major defensive adjustments that proved effective in stopping Keeton in the second half (minus the first third quarter drive).

So yeah, I do see a shootout in the BYU/USU game

As for the red and blue game, I have no idea what to expect. Each year the game is crazy, but this year both teams have so many unknowns. Utah showed some offense last night and I am hoping for some consistency there. Defensively, Utah has talent but they are as green as you can get except for Trevor Reilly, Nate Orchard, and Eric Rowe. They will need to be better to beat BYU as a whole.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 30, 2013 8:39 p.m.

"So once again Coach Whit had to rely on a trick play. "
    It was an onside kick, not a trick play. They ran the onside kick because of things they had seen while studying game film of Utah State. They knew USU's tendency on kick offs, and used it against them.

If you walk away thinking "Coach Whit relies on tricks", you miss the real lesson which is "Coach Whit finds your weakness".

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    Aug. 30, 2013 8:32 p.m.

We also learned that DN didn't follow the game too close...headline has Utah winning 30-27 and the body of the article had it 30-26!

Wilson's SoCal pedigree will outshine the Pocotello Kid...watch

• Carson Provo, UT
    Aug. 30, 2013 8:19 p.m.

BYU won't get past Utah or Utah St.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 30, 2013 7:42 p.m.

Travis Wilson is not a new starting QB as stated in the article. Beginning with the UCLA game last year he started every game.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Aug. 30, 2013 7:37 p.m.

The USU O-line was impressive. The line gave Keaton so much time it seemed he could always find the best play. The only thing that stopped Keaton was himself. Was the O-line that good or were the Ute D-line that poor? We'll probably know that answer after the third week.

Wilson gained confidence. So did the Ute kicker. Weber State won't be as much of a challenge so I see the Utes feeling even more confident of themselves.

If BYU has an O-line, that can give Hill that sort of time, he will put up great stats against either team. I also believe BYU has the best defense of the three teams.

• FanofBYU American Fork, UT
    Aug. 30, 2013 6:37 p.m.

So once again Coach Whit had to rely on a trick play. It worked for them this time but depending on trick plays won't get it done during the season. Congrats to the Ute players for executing the onside kick. Also, congrats to the USU players for a hard fought game. Keeton is a stud.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 30, 2013 5:47 p.m.

I thought the Aggie defense looked real good with their blitzes. Yes, sometimes you get burned, but they were on it. I've wondered with questionable corners if we don't want to perhaps blitz corners often.

Utah looked real good running off tackle. Several plays where they looked like PAC athletes going up against lesser men. That is a concern, but run defense has been our strength.

We SHOULD be able to move the ball on Utah's defense. But Travis Wilson showed signs of being legit at QB. Will be interesting to see if we can find ways to not make him look as good as the OSU qb looked against us last year,

With Utah State, I expect a shoot-out. Last man standing. But if the game is on the line, might I suggest not running three plays up the middle. That was a fabulous goal-line stand.