Quantcast

Comments about ‘2 new waterways added to Utah's mercury advisory’

Return to article »

Published: Thursday, Aug. 29 2013 4:10 p.m. MDT

Comments
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Most recommended
dalefarr
South Jordan, Utah

Seems the more we test Utah waters for mercury, the more mercury contaminated waters we find. Utah's Department of Environmental Quality's budget needs to be significantly increased to enable it to do its job.

Ett
Salt Lake City, UT

Consider the following. Mercury levels are too high in Utah waterways. More homes and businesses are installing CFL lights which contain Mercury. Accidents, fires and careless disposal allows Mercury to escape from the CFL's and enter the environment. The Mercury is picked up by moisture on the ground and air, falls back in the form of rain and adds more Mercury to our waterways. There are those will argue the amounts of Mercury in CFL's are small, but as evidenced by this report and tons of others, Mercury is cumulative and extremely toxic in very small amounts. It's an element. It doesn't break down into something else. It only combines with other substances. Does anyone else see the insanity in promoting the use of CFL's?

ultragrampa
Farmington, UT

Slow down there, Ett. Did you miss the part where the article stated "Mercury is a naturally occurring element."?
Also, quoting from an article found on energystardotgov (hyperlinks are not allowed here); "Electricity use is the main source of mercury emissions in the U. S....CFLs use less electricity than incandescent lights, meaning CFLs reduce the amount of mercury into the environment."
Nope - no insanity here.

ThornBirds
St.George, Utah

Just don't let your kids break open the old glass thermometers and play with the mercury.
Although it was entertaining to watch way back when, no one had any idea what would transpire for the kids who found it to be a fun pastime, frequently having the mercury in their hands.
Mercury toxicity led to very serious health issues later in life these individuals.

Shimlau
SAINT GEORGE, UT

ett, I agree with you and think it is very ironic that the federal government has pushed incandesent lights into the scrap head by federal mandate. I have CFL's in my home, because I can't buy the other kind. and, yes, they are considered to be toxic waste and shouldn't be thrown in the landfill.

to comment

DeseretNews.com encourages a civil dialogue among its readers. We welcome your thoughtful comments.
About comments