Sports

BYU football notebook: Cougars' season opener at Virginia filled with uncertainty

Comments

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 30, 2013 10:32 a.m.

SpokaneUte:
    So I assume you're going to attend the Utes vs Wazzu up there right? How did Utah get the unlucky deal of having to play in Pulman late in the year? I remember the snow bowl OT game up there in 2011...and you guys thought you left Wyoming in November when you went to the PAC12, haha. Offense looked much better last night, so I don't think it will be as close up there this year, regardless of weather. Best of luck to the utes this season...and I also enjoy your civil dialogue. Cheers.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 29, 2013 3:29 p.m.

Spokane Ute
    Spokane, WA

Ahhhh! If your young 'uns ever play down this way, let me know. I don't have a dawg in that fight anymore. Enjoy these days while they last! And may the good Lord bless your kids' knees!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 29, 2013 12:44 p.m.

Same here YDad/Grad. It's nice to have civil dialogue with folks like you and cougsndawgs. I don't make it to too many games except for grid kids (8th graade) and HS Freshman ball, with my two boys playing for North Central. The remote is always in hand though. looking forward to all the games this weekend; especially Utah and BYUs; very interesting matchups indeed...and yes I will be pulling for BYU. Take care and have a good one!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 29, 2013 12:32 p.m.

DirecTV 219.

Chris, we'll worry about Texas, U worry about the Aggies. Because I personally think ur "D" is gonna be having nightmares about Chuckie...

SpokaneUte

Man I'm looking forward to meeting you some day when we aren't on opposite sides of the great divide. Maybe if Eastern hosts a playoff game...

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 29, 2013 12:10 p.m.

My dander isn't up. Just a little friendly back and forth. It seemed that downunder was struggling with the whole channel concept; so I tried to help the lad.

Great openers this weekend; good luck!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 11:50 a.m.

SpokaneUte:
    "Do you find it more difficult to key in channel 691, as opposed to 644? My remote has a function called "guide", which shows all the networks/channels. The numbers rarely change. Amazing".

Oh c'mon spokute, I was poking a little fun at how much difficulty everyone is having finding FS1. Yes, I have the "guide"...how do you think I found it? Just some friendly banter, no need to get your dander up.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 29, 2013 11:18 a.m.

@cougsndawgs

Do you find it more difficult to key in channel 691, as opposed to 644? My remote has a function called "guide", which shows all the networks/channels. The numbers rarely change. Amazing.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 29, 2013 10:54 a.m.

Actually the channel is the new network; FS1 which stands for Fox Sports 1.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 29, 2013 10:45 a.m.

@maxwaswrong

I tottaly understand how the betting line works; just making a point that the odds are going down on BYU. None the less, I would take the Cougars whether a 1 or 4 point favorite. I think they will win, but it should be a good game. Hot and Humid!

@Downunder

On Comcast it replaced the speed channel (#31). I believe it's called CSTV. It has absolutely nothing to do with the PAC 12 channel. The game will be HD here in Spokane. I hope that helps aleviate your concern.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Down Under:
    The USU/Utah game is on Fox Sports 1, channel 691 if you have comcast. Don't know what channel it's on with dish or directTV. And I agree...it's nice to be on the World Wide Leader family of networks rather than trying to find some obscure channel between the Life network & cartoon channel.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 10:35 a.m.

Down Under,

It's great being in a bcs bowl until until the last couples games of the season.

Unlike byu last year when we personally ended all hopes of a bcs bowl!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 10:32 a.m.

Max:
    The betting line is moving in Virginia's favor...the bookie moved the line to less points because people were betting BYU couldn't cover 4 pts, so they lower the amount of points given. Doesn't really matter though...a lot of that line movement comes because people exaggerate the long trip to the east coast, and then there's always the east coast bias. I think BYU comes away with a solid W here...win by at least a TD.

Chrissy:
    No one asked what would happen to the utes if Texas played them...this is about BYU. Texas and BYU have a lot of the same nucleus of players and stars as they did in 2011 (except our QB is much more athletic this time around). Based on that 1 pt victory AT Texas, ya...ohhh the Cougs should definitely be scared for that "bloodbath" *roll eyes

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 10:09 a.m.

And who says college football is not about money.
    I see BYU walking away from this one with a win.
    Does anyone know how to find the USU/Utah game on national TV if you don't have the PAC network? I could not find it anywhere and would like to record it.
    It is great to see BYU on national TV every week.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Aug. 29, 2013 10:08 a.m.

"Max-was-right

springville, UT

Ute, the betting line has nothing to do with who should win or lose. It has everything to do with the sports book getting the betting balanced out. The sports books want equally amount of bets on both teams. They only move the line if too many people are betting on one team."

Yes but, it takes hordes to move the line so one can question why so many may be betting on Virginia at the moment.

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 8:40 a.m.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 29, 2013 7:29 a.m.

The line has moved from BYU being a 4 pt to a 1 pt favorite. I like there chances, I think BYU wins this one. Nice opener for sure.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 10:19 p.m.

oh oh oh I got this one. Let's play the game and see what the answers to the uncertainty is!