Sports

Defense looking to propel BYU to another season-opening win

Comments

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 12:10 a.m.

Van Noy needs to be given a beard card, no questions asked. It is an awesome look for him. It is a silly rule anyway.

• JMH Provo, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 6:22 p.m.

I was a student at BYU in the mid 1960's when you could have a beard. The policy was changed in the fall of 1969 as a reaction to what was going on around the country. I think it is time for BYU to again evaluate beards and develop a policy that permits well groomed beards. And anyone that judges a person on whether he has some facial hair needs to look at themselves and wonder what is going on inside.

• sky2k1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 5:41 p.m.

I knew there would be a beard comment. But numbers 2 and 3, and 4 overall. C'mon byu fans, we're better than that...maybe not. We are very judgmental.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 4:49 p.m.

I would not want to have KVN stare me down across the line. would hate to be the Utah QB this year.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 28, 2013 11:13 a.m.

@Mike
    Bronco's defense has been pretty good all along, but became great when he took over as DC. Probably won't be as good as last year, but should be top 20.

Pretty certain that the offense will be much better. A top 20 defense and a top 20 offense would round out to a pretty good year.

• Mike in Cedar City Cedar City, Utah
    Aug. 28, 2013 9:25 a.m.

BYU and defense? My how things have changed.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 28, 2013 8:40 a.m.

I hope Van Noy has one of those beard exemptions - I like the look.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Aug. 28, 2013 8:20 a.m.

@Gus Tunkle,

"The BYU Cougars are super-awesome and cool. I wish I could grow another mouth so I could cheer even louder for them at all the home games I will be at this year!! It will be awesome."

Ok dude, let's not get ahead of ourselves here in terms of "super-awesome and cool." I'll be a very loud voice for the Cougars this Saturday at Virginia and hope they won't disappoint. I'll at least wait till the end of the season to determine if they are really super-awesome or cool. Meantime, I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Go Cougars! May it be a very special year!

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 8:08 a.m.

Yeah that beard on Kyle looks way good, I hope he wears it all season.

• Cleanliness Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 8:05 a.m.

Let us hope for a great year. I hope that BYU beats Virginia with a good dose of offense this year. We cannot just rely only on the D to do everything. But it never hurts to have a D like ours!

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Aug. 28, 2013 7:33 a.m.

Let's see what the Cougars have. I hope this pre-season was not all hype and that they are focused and intense. Every play and every player counts. Now is the time to leave it on the field. Go Cougars! This could be an exciting year.

• Gus Tunkle Pleasant Grove, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 7:20 a.m.

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:27 p.m.

Love the beard on Van Noy! It makes him look even more intimidating.

• BYR West Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:14 p.m.

Is that a b...b ....beard? Say it ain't so!

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:37 p.m.

It will be an exciting year if the defense is as good as last year and the offense is able to step it up, can't wait to find out, go Cougars!