BYU football: BYU's Jamaal Williams ready to build on strong freshman season

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 11:21 a.m.

Y Grad/Y Dad:

Sure must have tasted delicious after 54-10, right? (Deny, deny, deny...!) You may need some Tabasco sauce after Sept. 21st! Cup cake win-padded seasons don't taste nearly as good as thrashing TDS in their house, especially after all the turnovers TDS gave up. I want win #4 in a row to come without a single TDS turnover, so that the ignorant can't blame the "should have been us, if not for" turnovers excuse! Beat us before reveling in weak winning seasons and bowl games that nobody outside of Happy Valley even remembers or cares to remember. GO UTES

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 28, 2013 2:24 p.m.

Layton, UT

I wouldn't know how crow tastes because the smooth taste of winning seasons and bowl games is the after-taste cougar fans enjoy.

But crow must be really bitter served in December.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 28, 2013 3:27 a.m.

Even as a Ute, I can see the dream scenario for BYU regarding Jamaal Williams. I know it's early, and maybe other accomplished RBs like perhaps say Harvey Unga, shouldn't be lost on untapped potential like that of Williams, but I, from the outside looking in, can envision Williams as being an all time BYU RB. I mean I see Williams and his potential in those terms.

If Williams' body matures right and injuries don't derail the teenager, then I fear Williams from the red side.

My doubts, if I was a BYU fan would be your offensive line and how the tempo thing (fast) comes together. But Anae has done more in the past with the Di Luigi types. What will Coach Anae do with Williams? It could be scary good but both good and bad are possible with BYU and Utah relative to their offensive abilities vs. my considerations there along with my semi projections of offensive struggle. The coaching philosophies and offensive roots of Anae and Erickson will go forward with or without the skill set and talent of the whole offense. Consider all of this with the fast tempo approach.

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    Aug. 27, 2013 9:04 p.m.

Thanks for proving my point,

"who ended up 3rd in the BCS last year or who beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl."

Gee good point. No one cares about either of them.

My comment had nothing to do with who knows BYU. The comment shows that utah fans think too much of themselves for something that no longer matters.

As far as eating crow, you tell me.

You're all pounding your chest like it is a forgone conclusion that utah wins simply by showing up. Isn't that what happened at the Utah State game last year? That is the kind of ute logic that will make it sop you don't show up for weeks on the comment boards come Sept 22.

utah is nothing, win or lose. No one respects you, and no one cares.

Go to any football site and look at the PAC 12, the u gets the least amount of press.

It is for a reason.

It has nothing to do with BYU.

In the words of my good friend who is also an ASU alum...

"no one cares about utah. we don;t even think about them."

And they own you.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Aug. 27, 2013 8:04 p.m.

So what's your point?

• ekute Layton, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 8:02 p.m.

What a dumb comment. Do you really think more sports fans across the nation know who byu is vs who ended up 3rd in the BCS last year or who beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. lol.

Question? Does crow taste better in September or November? You should know.

Go Utes.

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    Aug. 27, 2013 5:54 p.m.

Chris B. 4 Prez!

Quick, name the winner of the third place BCS bowl last year without looking it up.

Can't, can you. I know you can't.

That is because no one cares.

If you think anyone outside of SL County cares that you beat Alabama now, you're sadly mistaken. No one cares.

Also, now that you've done so well in the PAC, your name is anything but lauded anywhere but in your own minds.

But thanks for playing.

Question? Where will you be watching BYU play their bowl game this year? You'll have plenty of time to decide when the utes aren't going anywhere.

• Chris B. 4 Prez! Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 5:16 p.m.

@Down Under:

PAC 12 Network...BYU TV. Both lacking substance, with an even lesser group who bother tuning in to either one! That being said, I'll take my PAC 12 network and watch reruns of the massacre that took place when the Utes were in Happy Valley last time, as opposed to nailbiting TDS victories over Idaho and New Mexico State! GO UTES

• Chris B. 4 Prez! Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 4:54 p.m.

That's because on the east coast, most people you talk sports with...are mainly concerned with field hockey, and escaping bitter winters and crusty ski slopes! Thinking the Utes are still part of the WAC...illustrates how self-absorbed and out of touch the east really is. Out west, every former east coaster says they'll never go back! Go figure...! GO UTES

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 4:17 p.m.

Van Noy and Hoffman very well could be "the best in school history" but I have heard exactly no one claim hill could be "the best in school history", no one. If you have a real point then you don't have to make things up to try and make your point. In essence you have no point.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 4:08 p.m.

JW must not have watched much college football on TV because BYU is on big time NATIONAL TV almost every week and the utes.........well you might occasionally see them on the PAC network if anyone even knows how to find it and if they choose to put the bottom feeder games on.
    And hey, BYU is on NCAA '13 video game along with Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, Ohio State, Florida State, shall I go on?

• Perkunas Ashburn, VA
    Aug. 27, 2013 3:58 p.m.

"'Coach [Mark] Weber came to my school," Williams said. "That’s the first time I ever heard of BYU, I thought it was a D-II school. I didn’t know what BYU was. I was playing the [video] game NCAA ‘13 and I was like, ‘Oh snap, BYU is a D-I school. I didn’t know.'"

Here on the east coast, most people I talk sports with think Utah still plays in the WAC.

• Warrior Parent Belle Glade, FL
    Aug. 27, 2013 3:09 p.m.

Bright and focused your man with great goals and attitude... Love it!

• Dnquixote Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 27, 2013 2:48 p.m.

He will could be one of the best RB's in BYU history. Hill could be the best QB. Van Noy is probably the best LB in school history. Cody Hoffman could be the best receiver ever. I'm seeing a pattern here.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 1:58 p.m.

He could be the best RB in state history.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 1:45 p.m.

"I thought byu was a big national program and everyone in the country knows about byu?"
    Not everyone, just way more than know about U

Your rewind and replay of the exact same thing a thousand times is stuck. Tap the needle a bit Chrissy

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 12:39 p.m.

Chris, The key statement is that he chose BYU over the PAC. Your jealousy is showing.
    I guess JW thinks that a "Regular School" is better than going to a PAC school. Hmmmm.

• Spider Rico Greeley, CO
    Aug. 27, 2013 12:22 p.m.

People may say I am premature in this, but Williams has the makings of being the best RB in BYU history and making an impact in the NFL

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:25 a.m.

"you don’t have to go to the most popular school to have a big impact on the team. You can go to the regular schools, like BYU, somewhere that’s not really known about"

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:18 a.m.

@ SLCWatch - I have been going after to those off topic comments to be disruptive mostly CB.

Jamaal, Good Luck and have Fun!

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Aug. 27, 2013 7:19 a.m.

Jamaal will get to show the nation how good he will be on the Coug's team. We need to recruit more Jamaals from Southern Cal and Texas, etc.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 27, 2013 6:27 a.m.

I really like Jamaal's humility on top of his outstanding ability. He's a class act and will make a huge impact this year. The running game should thrive this year.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 26, 2013 11:09 p.m.

There are tons of fans here in CA who know about Jamaal Williams and we're all fired up to see him take it to the house on Saturday. Go Jamaal and Go Cougars!!

Aug. 26, 2013 10:45 p.m.

Nice to hear Jamaal has a good head on his shoulders and is a great example and leader. Go Cougars!

• Hatch Sandy, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 10:38 p.m.

How can he be this good. He was only a 2 star recruit?

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 10:37 p.m.

I don't believe Jamaal was one of the high star recruits when he committed to BYU and I am glad the Y gave him his chance to shine. Not a lot of schools would have let a 17 year slip into the lead rusher role no matter how good he was. I look forward to a great year with Anae's renewed rushing model and especially the "Go fast, Go hard" attitude. Let me add a fan's simple hope in addition to that. "Go Fast, Go Hard, Go Far" and of course. Go Cougars.

I also have a simple question for other posters.
    If you find off topic comments and comments intended to be disruptive, could you take a second and just hit the blue report abuse tag and let's keep our conversations on topic and not let the comments get hijacked by those not interested in a serious conversation.
    Thank you.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Aug. 26, 2013 10:20 p.m.

Great story about a young man who came to BYU because he saw the potential that only BYU offers. There are many athletes who appreciate the standards that BYU expects from each student.

There is the thought that every athlete is a prima donna because they have been looked up to their entire lives because of their athletic accomplishments. But many have goals that exceed athletics. Many want the great experiences that a college scholarship offers. BYU is blessed to have athletes like Jamaal Williams, and Jamaal is experiencing the great opportunity that BYU offers.

Jamaal, enjoy the next three years...I know I will.

I look forward to a 10-2 season this year and even greater things in the following two years.

GOOOOOOOO COUGARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!