Breaking down Virginia, BYU's Week 1 opponent

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Aug. 27, 2013 12:50 p.m.

I'll be curious to see what teams install the "circus" defensive scheme that Gary Anderson implemented against BYU and Anae's offense. I understand that Anae's offense hasn't changed drastically other than being more up-tempo. Anae's offense, as most Y fans remember went stagnant shortly after other teams starting using the "circus" scheme (7 db type players and 4 down linemen). Time will tell of course.

Go UTES!!

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:58 a.m.

Virginia was 4-8 last year, but the argument that they 'could have easily been 8-4' is unfounded. This is not a particularly good team. Two of their wins last year were by 1 point and a third came against Richmond. GATech beat them by 36 points. Based on their roster, not much has changed and many pundits predict they'll be near the bottom of the ACC.

I see this game as similar to the Ole Miss one from a couple years ago. It's a long way to travel for BYU and Scott Stadium will provide some form of advantage for the Cavaliers; just not enough of one.

BYU 20
    UVA 10

• Jeff ls Farr West, 84404
    Aug. 26, 2013 11:06 p.m.

and I am so excited for the game. I think this game will be between 7 and 10 points and a win. Around end of the 3rd quarter we will see the score spread for the win. First half will be tough. Chris B, it is nice to see you are still following the cougars. I feel bad for Utah because they are showing what I predicted. They are cannon fodder. Sad but true. Maybe 6 wins but I suspect 5 will be more accurate. It is too bad I really like Wit. Hang around Chris. I really like to hear what you think. I really hope that being realistic does come into play with your comments as the season progresses. I don't see a replacement for Latu, Johnson, the return guy, you do have a good receiver. The O line sounds good. Offensive support is really going to hurt you, especially against UCLA, USC, Stanford and Oregon. The Arizona schools look better also. I will probably be an ugly year for the Utes.
    BYU 23 Virginia 15

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 8:10 p.m.

The only thing I know for sure is that the season is about to begin! Time for football fans to rejoice!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 26, 2013 7:51 p.m.

Very win-able game for BYU, but playing in the heat and humidity of Virginia could be a factor. Despite of all the Utah haters that troll the uses threads, I will be pulling for the cougs, good luck to BYU on Saturday

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 6:59 p.m.

Oh, I must have a glitch in my browser.
    I'm sure I clicked on a BYU-Virginia article comments.

Am I on the right page or has someone forgot that the rule is

On topic and not disruptive?

The topic in the title is Virginia breakdown BYU week 1 breakdown.

The two Virginia senior offensive tackles at 6'6" 330 lbs and 6'6" 300 lbs could either be a big problem for the defense or just a bigger slow tree to run around for Van Noy.

• uteBusters Park City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 6:05 p.m.

"Considering BYU is something like 2-12 against the only noteworthy opponents the last several years..."

Fans of a team that is WINLESS (0-9) against AP Top 25 opponents in the last four years just embarrass themselves when they whine about a team that has beaten TWO AP Top 25 teams in the last four years,

especially, when that same sorry Utah team hasn't beaten a single PAC opponent with a winning record since joining the conference.

With supposedly one of the toughest schedules in the country, the only question is, how many years will it be before the Utes play in another bowl game?

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Aug. 26, 2013 5:34 p.m.

@Christopher B.

utah's hopes of a being in a real bowl game in 2012 ended as the kicker approached the tee for the opening kick off of game #1

T'will be the same this year.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 26, 2013 5:31 p.m.

Christopher B

"Meanwhile Utah will be in Rose Bowl contention within the last 1-2 games of the regular season."

LOL I can barely stop laughing to type this. LOL

Aug. 26, 2013 5:11 p.m.

Interesting breakdown, looking forward to the game, go Cougars!

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 5:09 p.m.

Virginia will be much tougher than Utah's bowl opponent from last year.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 26, 2013 4:25 p.m.

Keep fishing

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 3:48 p.m.

Considering byu is something like 2-12 against the only noteworthy opponents the last several years(Utah, TCU, Boise, Notre Dame, Texas, Florida State, Utah State, San Jose State), I find it shocking byu fans are excited about this challenging schedule.

Well, I guess we do have something in common.

I'm excited for your season too!

With Notre DAme, Utah, Wisconsin, Texas, and Boise the only question is will you go 0-5 or 1-4?

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 3:47 p.m.

These guys are no good as you can tell from their record last year. We'll beat them easily:

BYU 52
    Virginia 10

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 3:44 p.m.

I almost wish byu would beat Virginia and Texas. That way we could personally end your "quest" as we did last year. It was so fun to personally end all your hopes of a real bowl.

The jealously is palpable