Sports

National media predictions for Thursday's game: USU at Utah

Comments

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Sept. 1, 2013 11:32 p.m.

@Mars

Did you love the choke job? Haven't seen you around since the game started brother.

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 9:25 a.m.

Hahaha, look at Stang giving me a taste of my own medicine! There's a good lad! :)

I love Stang. :)

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 29, 2013 8:31 a.m.

Real Bass, and if the Ags and Cougs lose to the Utes? HO HUM

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    Aug. 29, 2013 8:27 a.m.

Should be interesting and entertaining. USU returns a lot of starters, but with a relatively unknown coaching staff. Utah has a lot of question marks, including whether Dennis Erickson is still relavent college football. One thing I have admired about the Aggies over the past several years is that they are fearless and seem to be totally unphased by loud, hostile environments. Maybe that was part of the Gary Anderson legacy, but it will be interesting to see if that attitude continues. If so, it'll be close....

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 9:29 p.m.

@Mars

Give it up buddy. People presenting real facts about this game that you don't want to hear. Oh how do you make me laugh my simple friend. Oh how do you make me laugh.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 4:28 p.m.

The Utes are more than ready to put Little brother in his place. After warm-up game #1, with Weber St. being #2, then the real season will begin. But hey - at least you Aggs have Chuckie, and of course there's the squeaky cheese. It will help ease the sting of defeat.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 28, 2013 1:26 p.m.

UTES LOSE, BOO HOOO

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 10:22 a.m.

Just like we sprinted full bore into the likes of Star "I play for the Panthers, now." Lotulelei and won.

Get ready, Utes. Little brother is coming.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 9:52 a.m.

Sprinting "FULL BORE" into the likes of Jeremiah Poutasi...will keep little brother as flat as the doormat Mars speaks of!

Hilarious to hear Mars write as if he's been training with the Aggs football team. Quite an imagination! Somebody cue "Eye Of The Tiger"...!

Sources suggest that the Utes have also been lifting, training, and watching film - in their new multi-million dollar facility! Advantage: Utes

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 8:56 a.m.

@utahcountyute

Yes, good sir, it will be here and settled tomorrow.

But I will let you have the last word and win the comment section if you like. "Utes will contain [Keeton] and leave no other options."

~stifled chuckling~

OK. :)

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 8:32 a.m.

Mars

Thanks for the correction on sacks. Git r done

Bottom line....The ags will not be over looked this year. Keeton is a stud but the Utes will contain him and leave no other options.

Kick off can't come soon enough.

Go Utes!

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Aug. 28, 2013 7:41 a.m.

@Uteology

You win the comments section! The real ticket was mentioning my favorite 'your best team in beat our worst team in ' refrain.

Instead of correcting you or showing you real statistics and figures from the game that illustrate that we both played sloppy, which I've already done anyway right here in this comment section, and you won't believe it or won't acknowledge any modicum of credit on USU's part, I'll just completely agree with you:

Yes, the Aggies won, and yes, you were surprised. Deja vu, mon ami.

GO AGGIES!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:27 p.m.

@Mars_

As for fumbles, yes there were quite a few. I counted 6 between the two teams in the same ESPN.com play by play. Utah had great D, no question. But they lost.

-----------

Actually, we had one our worst defenses in recent memory. Combined that with an abysmal offense with a D2 QB and rookie OC. I'm surprised your best team in 40 years didn't beat us 54-10 at home.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:11 p.m.

@The A Game

Right, who needs optimism? Apparently not Utah. They have a barber shop.

And watch out Aggies, the Utes are "striping the stadium." Maybe I'll try and find Waldo.

------------

Ironically, the barber shop cost more than Romney Stadium and it seats more.

Waldo shouldn't be that hard to find. Just look for "Tradition, Spirit, Honor" on back of a jersey. He'll be cheering for Utah State, his new bandwagon team after TCU, Boise, Colorado.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:11 p.m.

The first of two regular season 'bowl' games for the Utes.

It's all they could do after last year's humiliating loss to the Aggies and also going bowl-less.

Nothing could be sweeter than a repeat of last year.

Go Aggies!

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:06 p.m.

I meant to say "last year" in my earlier post. A thousand apologies for typing so hastily! Hopefully you fine folks caught my meaning.

BOTH teams had sloppy games last year. Utah's got RES going for them this year, playing at home is always advantageous. Utah has a solid team and is well coached. Nothing but respect for the Utes.

But little brother ain't skeered. Little brother's been lifting, training, watching film, and getting more than a little peeved at all the slights against him. Little brother has embraced his blue collar identity. Little brother smiles inwardly and uses cold, controlled motivational anger when he hears words like "fluke." Little brother is tired of being a doormat.

Little brother will walk, then trot, then jog, then run, then sprint FULL BORE into Salt Lake City.

Get ready, Utes. Little brother is coming.

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:59 p.m.

@utahcountyute

Not sure what you're getting at, big fella. I acknowledge that Keeton got sacked 2 times instead of 3. Per ESPN.com's play by play, searching on the word 'sacked,' I give you the following:

* Jordan Wynn sacked by Jordan Nielsen for a loss of 6 yards
    * Chuckie Keeton sacked by Star Lotulelei for a loss of 4 yards, fumbled, forced by Star Lotulelei, recovered by UthSt Kevin Whimpey
    * Jordan Wynn sacked by Bojay Filimoeatu for a loss of 12 yards
    * Chuckie Keeton sacked by Joe Kruger for a loss of 5 yards, fumbled, forced by Joe Kruger, recovered by Utah Nate Fakahafua
    * Jordan Wynn sacked by Jordan Nielsen for a loss of 10 yards

Jordan Wynn was sacked 3 times, not CK.

A "fluke," he says. Pardon my derisive snort. I'll throw you this bone, though: If it's a close game this year, win or lose, last year was no fluke. If it's a huge Utah win, last year was a fluke.

GO AGGIES!

• The A Game Logan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:00 p.m.

utahcountyute,

Actually Utah's season as a whole was a "fluke." They won every game, they just didn't score as many points as the other team.

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 9:23 p.m.

Rawr! Utah played badly this year so by definition they'll play better this year!

Keep the laffs coming, folks. But be warned, I don't tip my waiters.

USU played their fair share of sloppy last year: 2 TOs (to 1 TO on Utah) more penalties, 2 3rd down conversions out of 13 (instead of 2/17 for the Utes), and a boneheaded drive killing penalty when we were at the Utah 20.

I can play this game too. I'll let you win, though, it gets boring and tired pretty quick. I just dislike the ignorant dismissal of how good the Aggies can be.

But lest you think I'm a myopic dunderhead, I think USU is going to have bring their A-game to win this one. It will not be easy. The Utes don't have slouches on their team. It will be a tough slugfest. I like USU in a close game.

GO AGGIES!!!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 9:13 p.m.

Mars

You bring up D production. Actually utah sacked Keeton 3 times for a loss of 28 yds and recovered 2 of 5 fumbles. Huh?

It was a fluke W over your big brother and nothing more. Expect big brother to not let it happen again.

Duck..... We'll talk in few weeks when the Utes are 3-0 and coming to Provo. Start planning your trip to Tulsa

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 27, 2013 8:45 p.m.

@Uteanymous
    Salt Lake City, Utah

Uteology

"If Utah can't beat USU by 20+ at home then we have a horrible team and we end up winning the three weakest teams on our schedule:..."

Another Ute fantasy from a fan of the 3rd best team in the state.

Are you going to keep Weber State IF you "win" them?

------------

Fantasy like a BCS win?

Isn't it too early for grammar smack, even for you? How many screen names are you up to now? At least 20+.

I noticed you defined a 20+ win over USU as fantasy and agreed BYU is one of the weakest teams on our schedule. When did you jump on USU's bandwagon?

Go UTES!!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 7:10 p.m.

The A Game, I like you, buddy. Funny stuff, good luck to your team on Thursday, I sincerely hope they don't have any devastating injuries in the game like Utah did last year, and Go Utes!

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 27, 2013 6:59 p.m.

Uteology

Another Ute fantasy from a fan of the 3rd best team in the state.

Are you going to keep Weber State IF you "win" them?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 6:56 p.m.

Fox Sports is right. With Keeton back, USU shouldn't skip a beat on offense. That offense that scored 13 points in regulation last year will do so again. The Utah offense will again score more than USU's points in regulation, while the Utes won't allow any non-offensive scores. Utes will win...I hope!

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 6:35 p.m.

"we only converted 2 of 17 first downs. That's not going to happen in our house this year."

If our linebacking core has anything to say about it (and they will), you'll be lucky to convert 2-3 first downs.

History doesn't play games. Teams do. And the Ags have a much more complete and intact team than U.

• The A Game Logan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 6:32 p.m.

Right, who needs optimism? Apparently not Utah. They have a barber shop.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 27, 2013 6:22 p.m.

12. Weber State
    11. Colorado
    10. BYU

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 6:20 p.m.

For U fans who are so quick to dismiss other in-state teams as irrelevant, it must sting a bit to have two out of three national pundits pick USU to beat the "only relevant program in the state", AT HOME.

Ouch.

• Chris B. 4 Prez! Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 5:55 p.m.

@Mars_:

"Little brother is ready, little brother is motivated, and little brother is coming for you."

It's about time. We've been waiting for years for little brother to be any significant challenge whatsoever. You escaped in OT last year, kudos. Remember, though: we only converted 2 of 17 first downs. That's not going to happen in our house this year. So watch out...! GO UTES

• Chris B. 4 Prez! Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 5:44 p.m.

You gotta love the Aggs' optimism. After being an afterthought for decades, they escape in one overtime game at home, and suddenly they have the Utes' number? Get real. The squeaky cheese will taste old and moldy in Cache Valley come Friday morning...! GO UTES

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 5:43 p.m.

Utah will be lucky to score a point against Chuckie Keaton.

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 5:00 p.m.

Hill is no Kerwynn but York will do fine?

Psh. That's just your opinion.

Here's mine, but with some substance: USU returns all 5 offensive linemen. I'm pretty sure that I could break for 100 yards on a Segway behind USU's offensive line.

JWIV - 96 yards, 27 carries, avg 3.6 yards per carry, 0 TD, longest carry: 12 yards. A solid game.
    Kerwynn "I play for the Colts, now." Williams - 95 yards, 17 carries, avg 5.6 yards per carry, 1 TD, longest carry: 34 yards.

Kerywnn's performance was much more efficient. Both had good games, but I'd give the nod to Kerwynn. And it was helped by our OL. If you think Joe Hill won't do anything in this game, think again.

Dres Anderson had 2 carries for 19 yards. Holding your total rushing - without counting loss of yards due to sacks - to like 145 yards the entire game is a good defensive output on USU's part.

Watch out, Utes. Here we come.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 4:48 p.m.

@utahcountyute

"Hill is no K Williams and York is due to break out."

And you know these things how?

Sounds to me like you let your wishful thinking come out as statements of "fact". Try again and this time without the crimson shades.

LOL!

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 4:22 p.m.

Swoop,
    Come on. There is no way the utes will score 17 points. Be realistic.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 3:49 p.m.

@utahcountyute

Hill is no Williams? You didn't watch many Aggie games last year then. Hill can burn any one of the Ute defenders in an open field. I guarantee it.

Until the Utes actually prove to me their offense will be prolific (five offensive coordinators in five years... FIVE), I gotta give the offensive edge to the Ags.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 2:58 p.m.

Mars

John white had 96 yards and kerwyn williams had 95. Keeton had 94 which was the killer.

I think both offenses will be prolific but the Utes will prevail. Hill is no K Williams and York is due to break out.

I can't believe all this discussion about the ags. It will end Thursday

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 1:53 p.m.

In 2012, against three future NFL corners, Keeton was 22 of 32 for 216 yards, 2 TD, O int

Against Utah's young and inexperienced corners, Keeton is going to have a field day.

Aggies 30
    Utes 17

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 1:50 p.m.

The players have said they have to contain Keeton. Once they do that USU won't be able to do anything.

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 1:28 p.m.

Seems to me like the "experts get paid alot of money and credit, for simply taking the previous season and making a few changes, and then calling it an educated opinion for the next year.

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 1:22 p.m.

If John White IV didn't have a huge game last year, Kelvin York won't have a huge game this year.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 12:35 p.m.

That's right, Chris knows more than the football experts across the country. I still cannot believe that Chris is not an anchor on ESPN or FOX Sports. His predictions are NEVER wrong.
    LOL

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:59 a.m.

Park city ag

Keep telling yourself that the Utes don't have any weapons. Your 1 W out of the last 15 games will be short lived.

Look for York and Murphy to have huge games and the D to be surprising stout.

Can't wait

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:53 a.m.

If I am wrong and usu wins I will GLADLY come on here and say

"I was wrong you guys were right"

But when I'm right, I gladly remind you all I was right.

And I'll continue to boast about being a better team in a better conference with better bowl history with better facilities.

We're a better program. And I'll remind you all year long!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:50 a.m.

I don't think Chris is too far off on his prediction on this game. I hope the Utes are overlooked all year long.

Can't wait to get it started with a W on Thursday.

Go Utes!

• ParkCityAggie Park City, Ut
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:44 a.m.

Dare I venture to say that I think the national media knows USU better than the local media? Probably not, but they aren't blinded by the rose tinted glasses the local media likes to wear when talking about the utes. Reveng is only good if you have the personell to pull the job off. USU is expereinced where it counts the most, O-Line, D-Line, D Secondary, and QB. Joe Hill is a burner, and watch out for DiMartino! Our WR's have experience from last year and beyond. Watch out for TVL!

Aggies 24
    Utes 17

• STLute St. Louis, MO
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:44 a.m.

All predictions are worthless. Ready for kickoff!

Go Utes!

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:38 a.m.

The Aggies will win the the Battle of the Little Brothers.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:14 a.m.

ute seniors 0-1 against the Aggies. Mark it Down.

chrisbe knows less than the national media. Mark it Down.

Aggies start utah's season off in a bad way again. Mark it Down.

The A Game's comment is the funniest one I have read in a long time. Mark it Down.

Go Aggies!!!

How in the WORLD is this a personal attack mr moderator?

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:13 a.m.

If you can't name any other players on the roster other than Keeton - without looking - you don't get to say we have no one else around Keeton.

• NT SomewhereIn, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 11:10 a.m.

Chris B won't comment on the game AFTER the game. Mark it down.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:54 a.m.

Enough talk! Let's play! Two days.

Go Utes!

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:49 a.m.

BYU fan here. I agree with Chris B's prediction for the game but 8-4 season? Um probably not.

• Don't Feed the Trolls Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:36 a.m.

Utah is rated 9th in their league. They will not be 8-4. They may beat Weber State and Washington State and Colorado. Mark that down.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:24 a.m.

"2 interceptions by Keeton, Mark it Down"

What is Keeton going to do? Intercept his own passes?

• The A Game Logan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:19 a.m.

All the Ute players get haircuts at their new barber shop before the game. Mark it down.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 10:06 a.m.

U won't contain Keeton. Mark it down.

• scotsman Logan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 9:59 a.m.

Chris B is oblivious. To be in contention for a Rose Bowl the Utes will need to win more than two or three Pac12 games. Considering they play the two weakest Pac12 oppenents the last two weeks of the season it's highly unlikely they'll be in contention for anything other than a long winter break from football once again.

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 9:52 a.m.

Not a fan of either team, but the Utes won't be 8-4 this year, that's for sure. Even with the Utes playing the majority of their games RES, where they have an advantage...they will still lose most games this season.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 9:44 a.m.

Last year we all underestimated Keeton.

We'll contain him and they don't have enough talent around him.

I think Keeton will be overwhelmed by what the defense does.

2 interceptions by Keeton, Mark it Down

Utah 30
    usu 17

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2013 9:42 a.m.

Utah 30
    usu 17

Utah will be 8-4 with all 4 losses against power conference teams, and we'll be in contention for the Rose Bowl within the last 1-2 games of season.

This may be the beginning of another 15 game winning streak against our little logan brothers.

Go UTES.

I'll be there Thursday. Will U?